PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Latest (w/e 24 June)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Ezeikial
24/06/2011, 1:02 AM
FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION OF IRELAND
Thursday, June 23, 2011
Airtricity League previews

(7.45pm unless stated)

Friday, June 24
Airtricity League Premier Division
Sligo Rvrs v Shamrock Rvrs, The Showgrounds (7.35pm - Live on RTE 2). Referee: Anthony Buttimer.

SLIGO ROVERS games against Shamrock Rovers are always much anticipated by the Showgrounds faithful and this televised clash is sure to whet the appetite.

Paul Cook’s Bit O’Red will be eager to claim the three points to bite into the five point gap between themselves and Michael O’Neill’s Hoops.

Both sides were held to draws on Tuesday night with Sligo drawing 0-0 in Derry while the Dublin side drew 2-2 at home to Dundalk.

TEAM NEWS:

Sligo Rovers have a major concern over Iarfhlaith Davoren, who has missed the last two games with a knock. Sligo ave no other injury concerns. Shamrock Rovers have injury doubts over Karl Sheppard (ankle) and Ken Oman (calf).

QUOTES:

Sligo Rovers boss Paul Cook: “It’s a big game and one we are very much looking forward to. The first half in Derry was difficult but we improved a lot in the second half and it was a good point in the end. I’m hoping for a big crowd and support because I think the players deserve that. It’s a chance for us to throw open the race for ourselves and we’ll certainly not be wanting for lack of effort.”

Shamrock Rovers manager Michael O’Neill: “We were pleased with the spirit and determination not to be beaten shown by the players on Tuesday; however the lads know that it was not one of their better performances. We have always responded well to disappointment, which Tuesday was for us, and we’re looking forward to the game in Sligo. Our record there has been excellent there in the last two seasons, and we will be aiming to maintain that.”

Bohemians v Drogheda United, Dalymount Park. Referee: Rob Rogers.

DROGHEDA UNITED travel to Dalymount Park looking to build on their recent good form which has seen the Louthmen bag three wins from their last five games.

Bohemians secured an impressive 2-1 away win at Bray Wanderers on Monday but have been patchy at home this term.

Drogheda last beat Bohemians in the league in July 2007. In 13 league matches between the sides since then, Bohemians have won 11 and there have been two draws.

TEAM NEWS:

Anto Flood (groin) is close to a return to action while Steven Hurley will look to make his home debut. Goalkeeper Chris O’Connor remains out with the facial injury received against Sligo Rovers two weeks ago. Drogheda’s Mark O'Brien is suspended while Jack Flynn is still out of action.

QUOTES:

Bohemians manager Pat Fenlon: “Mick has them organised and they’re picking up results. He’s a good manager but it’s taken him a while, he came in late. It’ll be a difficult game for us but we expect nothing different from any team in the league.”

Drogheda manager Mick Cooke: “Our first home win was a long time coming to be honest, but it's great to have it now. The lads are slowly getting there and adapting to the standard of the Premier Division. But we aren't getting carried away just yet. Bohemians had a good win on Monday and looked impressive. It won't be easy to get something from Dalymount.”

Dundalk v Galway United, Oriel Park. Referee: Paul McLaughlin.

DUNDALK will bid to build on their excellent performance against Shamrock Rovers when only a late equaliser denied the Lilywhites a memorable victory.

Ian Foster’s side face a different challenge against his former club Galway United, who have been hit badly by financial problems in recent times and have struggled with injuries all season.

TEAM NEWS:

Galway United’s dreadful luck with injuries continues with Sean Kelly (knee), Joe Yoffe (ankle), Rory Gartlan (groin), Shane Keogh (foot fractures) and Enda Curran (knee) while Jonathan Keane has been ruled out for the season. Steve Feeney is suspended.

Dundalk hope to have Jason Byrne fit while Dean Bennett and Colin Hawkins remain doubtful with ankle injuries. Eoghan Osborne (fractured tibia) and Stephen McDonnell (knee) remain absentees.

QUOTES:

Dundalk defender Colin Hawkins: “Obviously, I’m from Galway and I’d know a lot of their players and I know they’re having awful difficulties in the last few weeks down there. It is sad. Definitely, I would like to see them get out of the trouble they’re in. I know they’ve put all their players available for transfer and maybe that might help the club in the long run to stay afloat, because that’s the most important thing, that Galway has a club to support. But we won’t worry about that on Friday. It’s all about our own job. We have got to go out and do it and try to get three points and then think about it next week.”

St Patrick’s Athletic v Bray Wanderers, Richmond Park. Referee: Neil Doyle.

ST PATRICK’S ATHLETIC will bid to maintain their remarkable recent form when they host Bray Wanderers.

Bray lost their first game in five league outings to Bohemians on Monday but come up against a Saints side that has extended their unbeaten run to 13 games and lie just one point behind top spot.

Wanderers have failed to keep a clean sheet against the Saints in the last 17 meetings between the sides in all competitions. Bray's 3-2 win earlier in the season at Richmond Park was their first in 11 visits to the venue.

TEAM NEWS:

Saints captain Conor Kenna is close to a return from a knee injury. Ian Bermingham returns from suspension. Dave Mulcahy (knee) and Derek Pender (foot) are battling to be fit to feature. Neil Harney is expected to return from a head injury suffered against Galway.

Bray Wanderers have no new injury worries but long term injury victims Gary Shaw (ankle),Stephen Brennan (calf), Darren Quigley (elbow) and Jake Kelly (hamstring) remain out. Dave Webster (ankle) is fit after missing eight games.

QUOTES:

St Patrick’s Athletic boss Pete Mahon: “This is a massive, massive game for us and though others are focusing the European games and future league games we’re focusing solely on this game. We watched Bray on Monday night and they’re a very good side who can cause us problems. We managed to pick up another win on Tuesday in Galway and we’re on a great run. The players deserve enormous credit and they want to keep the run going and intend on doing that tomorrow night.”

Bray's Director of Football Pat Devlin: "We made a couple of mistakes on Monday night and got punished for them. We also failed to take our chances, it was one of those games we haven't had so far this season. Isn't it a great game to have on Friday to follow that and it gives us a fantastic opportunity to bounce straight back.”

UCD v Derry City, The UCD Bowl. Referee: Paul Tuite.

UCD will bid to put a halt to a a dreadful run of seven straight defeats when they host third-placed Derry City at the UCD Bowl.

With the sides also meeting in the EA SPORTS Cup, this is the first of back to back games between the two sides over the weekend.

UCD will need little reminder that Derry scored seven unanswered goals against Martin Russell’s side at the Brandywell recently.

TEAM NEWS:

The Students plan without Robbie Creevy, who is unavailable due to a persistent leg injury. Derry have concerns regarding Barry Molloy (ankle ligaments) and James McClean (tonsillitis) but have no suspensions.

QUOTES:

UCD manager Martin Russell: “Derry City are a good footballing side and we are looking to play well and demonstrate the type of character that the game requires when you need to bounce back."

Derry City manager Stephen Kenny: "Our form has been terrific in our last four games against all the top sides in the league and we want to continue that. UCD are a difficult proposition at home and they have already beaten Sligo there so that should be a warning to us that we have to be at our best."

Ezeikial
24/06/2011, 1:02 AM
Airtricity League First Division
Cork City v Waterford United, Turner’s Cross. Referee: James McKell.
CORK CITY will expect a test to their unbeaten record when they host Munster rivals Waterford United at Turner’s Cross. Shane Duggan returns from suspension but Gavin Kavanagh begins a three match ban. Simon Holland returns from illness and Neal Horgan is back after work commitments. Waterford took all three points on their two visits to Cork last season. Manager Paul O'Brien will have to plan without David Breen (ankle) while Kevin Murray (ankle sprain) is a doubt.

Shelbourne v Athlone Town, Tolka Park (8.00pm). Referee: Darren Coombes.
LEADERS Shelbourne will look to push on from pole position when they welcome Athlone Town to Tolka Park. A 3-0 win away to Limerick FC increase their lead of the First Division to four points. Athlone last beat Shels in June 2007. Athlone continue to miss Garry Higgins and Brendan Daly who are still suffering persistent injuries. Kevin Williamson and Paul Danaher return from suspension.

Wexford Youths v Limerick, Ferrycarrig Park (8.00pm). Referee: Keith Callanan.
WEXFORD YOUTHS will look to end a slump of five league defeats on the trot when they host a Limerick side still reeling from a surprise heavy home loss to Shelbourne last week. Wexford welcome Patsy Malone and Craig Wall from suspension while new signings, Mark Phelan, Tom Elmes and Robert Vickers all come in. Manager Noel O’Connor: “Against Mervue I thought we were really good then we conceded that goal and we were a totally different team. We’ve tried a few things this week. It’s something we have to rectify and we will.”

Saturday, June 25
Airtricity League First Division
Salthill Devon v Finn Harps, Drom (7.00pm). Referee: Conor Fitzgerald.
FINN HARPS player-manager Peter Hutton will be confined to the sidelines for the last time when his side travels to Drom as his registration from Cliftonville will come through on July 1. Harps had no fixture last week but played a couple of friendlies. The Donegalmen have won two of their last three league games after a nightmare start of the campaign. Packie Mailey is out with a fractured toe, while Paddy McLaughlin and Aaron McElwee are suspended.

Longford Town v Monaghan United, Flancare Park (7.30pm). Referee: Phil Caschera.
MONAGHAN UNITED continue their determined promotion push when they visit Flancare Park to face a Longford Town side that has lost three of its last four games after previously threatening the leading pack. Monaghan boss Roddy Collins will be looking for his side to claim the three points after being disappointed not to hand Cork City their first defeat of the campaign last time out.

BonnieShels
24/06/2011, 8:11 AM
Big night tonight.

Nyiaow!!!!!

Sam_Heggy
24/06/2011, 8:33 AM
Jeez it's tough for us to even field a side tomorrow. Felix has released 4 players, another has left the squad for America, one injured long term and 2 suspended all out of a squad of 21.
Should be interesting in Salthill.

BonnieShels
24/06/2011, 8:44 AM
At least you have your 3 subs.

Sam_Heggy
24/06/2011, 9:07 AM
At least you have your 3 subs.

8 players from 21 leaves 13 - 2 subs :terror:

Hopefully we'll bring a few of the under 19's to fill the bench.

PartySaint
24/06/2011, 1:08 PM
Another big night, If we can manage to beat Bray tonight any result down in Sligo will be good for us

BonnieShels
24/06/2011, 1:55 PM
8 players from 21 leaves 13 - 2 subs :terror:

Hopefully we'll bring a few of the under 19's to fill the bench.

I missed your American lad.

Cripes. Ye're shagged.

Higgo
24/06/2011, 5:01 PM
Lads, I'm in Switzerland at the moment. I follow Shels but wouldn't mind seeing the live game tonight while I'm waiting for updates from our game. Does anyone know if I can watch the game live on rte.ie from this country, or can you only watch it in Ireland? Cheers.

Jicked
24/06/2011, 5:03 PM
Yeah you'll have no trouble watching it online on the RTE site.

SkStu
24/06/2011, 5:04 PM
Lads, I'm in Switzerland at the moment. I follow Shels but wouldn't mind seeing the live game tonight while I'm waiting for updates from our game. Does anyone know if I can watch the game live on rte.ie from here, I have heard that you can only watch it in Ireland but not sure about this. Anybody know for definite? Cheers.

yes you can watch it...

Higgo
24/06/2011, 5:06 PM
Ah good stuff, better head off to get the beers in so. Cheers lads.

nigel-harps1954
24/06/2011, 5:06 PM
No players? I'll bring me boots so.

hoopy
24/06/2011, 5:08 PM
First game in a while I'm gonna miss. If the weather's the same in Sligo as it is in Dublin it could be a poor game for the tv. Hopefully I'm wrong. Can see a 1-1. If any hoops want to join me I'll be queing overnight at Des Kelly's. First time in years we can now buy stuff there :D

SkStu
24/06/2011, 6:50 PM
Bohs 1 - Drogs 0 (Fagan)

naoise kennedy
24/06/2011, 6:59 PM
Dempsey missing from bray line up on extratime,, mis print or does anybody know any reason..

SkStu
24/06/2011, 7:07 PM
Bohs all over the Drogs tonight by the sounds of it. Theyre being kept in the game due to some great saves from Trimble. Which by my reckoning means we will lose 2-1.

Charlie Darwin
24/06/2011, 7:08 PM
Fagan seems to have found his scoring shoes for Bohs.

Poor enough game at the Showgrounds. Ndo's delivered a couple of great dead balls and McCabe's made a couple of good runs but little else in the way of quality. O'Neill badly needs either Finn or Dennehy to push up and play off him.

bullit
24/06/2011, 7:10 PM
Dundalk take the lead at oriel. Gregg Bolger.

SkStu
24/06/2011, 7:12 PM
'bout time.

bullit
24/06/2011, 7:13 PM
Yuppp thats his 1st for Dundalk ;)

SkStu
24/06/2011, 7:16 PM
get in there

Sligo lead

SkStu
24/06/2011, 7:16 PM
Yuppp thats his 1st for Dundalk ;)

my comment obviously could be taken in so many ways.,... :D

passinginterest
24/06/2011, 7:17 PM
How the hell do both Sligo's centre backs manage to be unmarked from a corner? Rovers defending from set pieces has been atrocious.

BonnieShels
24/06/2011, 7:23 PM
1-0 to us. Dawson, 20min.

All over athlone.

Charlie Darwin
24/06/2011, 7:26 PM
Think Twigg might have to come on at half time. O'Neill has us set up so negatively and it really hasn't worked at all. McCabe has the beating of Greene every time but it's no use when the ball never sticks.

sadloserkid
24/06/2011, 7:35 PM
Wexford 0 - Limerick 1 (Judge).

Candystripe
24/06/2011, 7:36 PM
Derry all over UCD but go behind on the stroke of half-time!!!!!

Spudulika
24/06/2011, 7:40 PM
I respect Michael O'Neill for how he has made Shamrock Rovers a success and hard to beat, but my god, with those players at his disposal, how in the name of all that's unholy can he play such a terrible style of football that makes Manchester United look like world beaters. Kick and rush, long ball, I have a distinct feeling he's taken the club as far as he can, now it's time to get a manager in to polish up the play and take the step in Europe.

Worrying for Gary O'Neill, he went in at half time 5'8 or 5'9, he's come out and is now 5'7!

sadloserkid
24/06/2011, 7:44 PM
Wexford 0 - Limerick 2 Judge, Quinn).

SkStu
24/06/2011, 7:45 PM
I respect Michael O'Neill for how he has made Shamrock Rovers a success and hard to beat, but my god, with those players at his disposal, how in the name of all that's unholy can he play such a terrible style of football that makes Manchester United look like world beaters. Kick and rush, long ball, I have a distinct feeling he's taken the club as far as he can, now it's time to get a manager in to polish up the play and take the step in Europe.

Dont agree. Its about success. If Rovers fans were concerned with performance he'd have been gone before last season. They persisted and he won them a league. As long as he is winning leagues they wont be too concerned.

Worrying for Gary O'Neill, he went in at half time 5'8 or 5'9, he's come out and is now 5'7!

he's always been small. (and sh!te too!)

ped_ped
24/06/2011, 7:46 PM
I have a distinct feeling he's taken the club as far as he can, now it's time to get a manager in to polish up the play and take the step in Europe.

Could be right there, Spudulika. With the squad at his disposal they league should be in the bag by now.

bullit
24/06/2011, 7:51 PM
Dundalk 4 up,Ward with the 4th.

micls
24/06/2011, 7:53 PM
City 1 up against Waterford. O.g by Coady

bullit
24/06/2011, 7:55 PM
5 nil to Dundalk-Marc Griffin

micls
24/06/2011, 7:58 PM
1-1, McNulty messes up

micls
24/06/2011, 7:59 PM
2-1 Waterford- Penalty

SkStu
24/06/2011, 8:00 PM
Ahhh bisto.

2-0 Bohs

bullit
24/06/2011, 8:01 PM
5-1 at Oriel -Gary Curran for Galway.

bullit
24/06/2011, 8:02 PM
Sorry Galways goal was from Gary Kelly.

SkStu
24/06/2011, 8:05 PM
Pats take the lead and go top (by my reckoning)

micls
24/06/2011, 8:11 PM
2-2 in the City game, another penalty-Cummins.

4 goals so far in the 2nd half, here's hoping for another one for us!

SkStu
24/06/2011, 8:12 PM
Derry equalise then UCD score from a howler from Doherty.

2-1 UCD

bullit
24/06/2011, 8:15 PM
6 -1 to Dundalk-Jonny Breen

bullit
24/06/2011, 8:17 PM
Quigley off for Jason Byrne. Welcome back lad :)

micls
24/06/2011, 8:21 PM
3-2 Waterford

SkStu
24/06/2011, 8:26 PM
2-0 Sligo

no fuss, no drama. (a certain Rovers poster will get that one) ;)

bullit
Both Leauges are hotting up if tonights latest stay as !!!

nigel-harps1954
Some craic in sligo with the nets.

Charlie Darwin
24/06/2011, 8:28 PM
Can have no argument with the result. Apart from a couple of ten minute spells Sligo were comfortably on top. I believe this can now be called a slump.

Suppose it's nice to finally lose to a team that isn't Bray.