PDA

View Full Version : Galway put entire squad up for sale

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

thischarmingman
22/06/2011, 1:23 PM
The entire Galway United squad will be for sale during the summer transfer window.

The decision by Galway to put all their professional players up for sale was taken after talks with the Professional Footballers Association of Ireland.

The club is in financial difficulty and will also try to raise funds through a campaign that will get underway in Galway city centre on Saturday with a flag day and continue at the team's next home match against UCD on Friday 1 July.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/0622/galwayunited.html

SwanVsDalton
22/06/2011, 1:27 PM
Galway United Jumble Sale!!!

Bric-a-brac, antiques, DVD's, CD's, cakes, professional footballers and much more!!!

Everything must go, £1 an item (ONO).

Starts today and ongoing @ Terryland Park.

Macy
22/06/2011, 1:28 PM
Galway United Jumble Sale!!!

Bric-a-brac, antiques, DVD's, CD's, cakes, professional footballers and much more!!!

Everything must go, £1 an item (ONO).

Starts today and ongoing @ Terryland Park.
Only £1 for a DVD? Looks to have cost them a lot more than that...

Mr A
22/06/2011, 1:29 PM
Although there are some great people involved with the running of GUFC now, it's difficult to see how they can recover from the mess that Leeson made of them.

According to a GU poster on this site recently- when he left the club owed €1 million but they've discovered another €188k since he left that hadn't been recorded. Some of the horror stories I've heard are incredible, well, incredible until you remember that it's Nick Leeson you're talking about.

I hope they can turn it round, but history tells us they may be better to just fold at the end of the season and start again in D1 next year.

marinobohs
22/06/2011, 1:53 PM
Although there are some great people involved with the running of GUFC now, it's difficult to see how they can recover from the mess that Leeson made of them.

According to a GU poster on this site recently- when he left the club owed €1 million but they've discovered another €188k since he left that hadn't been recorded. Some of the horror stories I've heard are incredible, well, incredible until you remember that it's Nick Leeson you're talking about.

I hope they can turn it round, but history tells us they may be better to just fold at the end of the season and start again in D1 next year.

Nick Leeson accused of covering up losses ? wow,who would have guessed ? Reminds me of a film I saw, what was it called......

John83
22/06/2011, 1:55 PM
Nick Leeson accused of covering up losses ? wow,who would have guessed ? Reminds me of a film I saw, what was it called......
As great warlord George Bush say, "Fool me once, shame on... shame on you. Fool me you can't get fooled again."

sligoman
22/06/2011, 2:16 PM
Do Galway actually think clubs will pay for their players? Or are they just looking to get them off the wage bill?

peadar1987
22/06/2011, 2:31 PM
It baffles me how a club can be so criminally mismanaged, that it runs up a debt to the tune of over two years' turnover. Equally baffling is the fact that anyone would extend any sort of credit to a League of Ireland club, when the clubs who have at some point defaulted on their debts are looking like they'll soon outnumber those who haven't.

Mr Maroon
22/06/2011, 2:37 PM
The actual statement.

http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/galway-united-statement-22nd-june-2011

Galway United Statement

Wednesday, 22 June 2011 12:19

Following discussion with the Football Association of Ireland and the Professional Footballers Association of Ireland, Galway United confirm that all professional players at the club will be available when the summer transfer window opens.

Galway United would like to thank our players, supporters, sponsors and the Galway FA for their support and patience over the past few weeks. The club has put a summer fundraising campaign in place which we expect will help us out of our current difficult financial situation.

The fundraising campaign will commence this Saturday, June 25th, with a Flag Day in Galway city centre. We ask for the support of the Galway public this Saturday, and at our next home match against UCD on Friday 1st July.

Macy
22/06/2011, 2:38 PM

Whatever about the alledged unrecorded, can I (yet again) ask, where was the feckin licencing process in all this?

Equally baffling is the fact that anyone would extend any sort of credit to a League of Ireland club, when the clubs who have at some point defaulted on their debts are looking like they'll soon outnumber those who haven't.
Clubs that own grounds are sitting on asset. They can't walk away as easily, or at least not to the extent those clubs that rent grounds can.

Lim till i die
22/06/2011, 2:38 PM
Aside from Karl Moore and possibly Sean Maher, anyone here worth having??

gufct
22/06/2011, 3:10 PM
We havent walked away from Anything maybe that's where we went wrong.

Red Army
22/06/2011, 3:17 PM
Is your hero Sean Connor up for sale? I'd say a load of clubs would be interested in getting the services of such a great man

peadar1987
22/06/2011, 3:21 PM
Clubs that own grounds are sitting on asset. They can't walk away as easily, or at least not to the extent those clubs that rent grounds can.

I thought Terryland was owned by the Galway League, or something, not by United.

Jofspring
22/06/2011, 3:27 PM
I thought Terryland was owned by the Galway League, or something, not by United.

Your right. Thats why Mervue where allowed use it also and at a cheaper rate than Galway Utd too I believe.

marinobohs
22/06/2011, 3:41 PM
The actual statement.

http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/galway-united-statement-22nd-june-2011

On a seriouis note best of luck to all involved in fundraising initiative at Galway (yes,even after they cost us last seasons League :(). Difficult time to be chasing money but I am sure it wont fail for lack of effort.

gufct
22/06/2011, 3:41 PM
you couldnt get it any cheaper than Mervue got it allegedly.I dont think Macy was having a pop at us there.From Talking to other clubs everyone is feelin the pinch some like ourselves more than others. All we as supporters can do is try to run succesfull Fundraisers to try and make up the shortfall in our gates and sponsorship which has dried up completely in the economic situation we find ourselves in.

There are no money men with deep pockets on our MC although some have dug deep.

Dodge
22/06/2011, 3:49 PM
Always like Galway. Smashing facility they have there. Hope it works out for them. Funnilly enough I got a good vibe off the place last night, even though they'd lost 13 or so on the trot and thee crowd was poor enough. Everyone I dealt with from the club (ticket sellers, programme sellers, those on the gate etc) seemed in good form. I guess the burden of trying to stay up is gone and now they can concentrate on saving the club

(Oh and No 10 last night, I think his name was Gilmore?, looked very useful)

Charlie Darwin
22/06/2011, 4:00 PM
This appears worse than I first thought. I don't think there's anything particularly unusual about a LOI club saying any of their players can leave, but if the rumours about more debts turning up is true then I fear for the club.

The two times I've seen Galway this season they've looked like a poorly-coached outfit with a mixture of very good and very poor players. Moore, Maher and a defender whose name escapes me looked very handy, but it's hard for good players to rise about a team that's not functioning as a unit. I'll wish them all the best though - Galway have always contributed positively to the league.

Guinney
22/06/2011, 4:03 PM

Shaun Kelly who was with us before he went to them was impressive with us and many fans where sad to see him depart.
Not sure how good he has been doing with them, but he is a good right back.

Mr Maroon
22/06/2011, 4:09 PM
This appears worse than I first thought. I don't think there's anything particularly unusual about a LOI club saying any of their players can leave, but if the rumours about more debts turning up is true then I fear for the club.

The two times I've seen Galway this season they've looked like a poorly-coached outfit with a mixture of very good and very poor players. Moore, Maher and a defender whose name escapes me looked very handy, but it's hard for good players to rise about a team that's not functioning as a unit. I'll wish them all the best though - Galway have always contributed positively to the league.
Stephen Walsh probably.

Shaun Kelly who was with us before he went to them was impressive with us and many fans where sad to see him depart.
Not sure how good he has been doing with them, but he is a good right back.

He's been terrible.

RahenyBohs
22/06/2011, 4:12 PM
In spite of last season and how they messed our title challenge, I wish Galway the best in their financial troubles. Galway is a growing city and we need a club like Galway United for general interest in LOI football in that area(no offence to Salthill or Mervue).

poster
22/06/2011, 4:20 PM

Their keeper Greg Fleming seems decent enough.

Feel sorry for the club, their fans and GG, but not the manager.

Guitd
22/06/2011, 4:25 PM
This is a sad day in the Loi in gereral that a club can be let run so badly over the last 2 years and let get away with it by the so called license dept of the FAI ---unless its to do with traps senior squad they realy dont care about soccer in this country ,not saying united arent to blame but its the same every year as clubs struggle to keep going without major help from head office in abbotstown unless they wake up there are a number of other clubs not too far from folding also.!! and senior soccer in this country will continue on its slippery slope ---oh and having 3 clubs in Galway is a complete and utter diaster which hasen't helped and is one of the reasons why the FAI have reasons to answer

GalwayRed
22/06/2011, 6:23 PM
This is a sad day in the Loi in gereral that a club can be let run so badly over the last 2 years and let get away with it by the so called license dept of the FAI ---unless its to do with traps senior squad they realy dont care about soccer in this country ,not saying united arent to blame but its the same every year as clubs struggle to keep going without major help from head office in abbotstown unless they wake up there are a number of other clubs not too far from folding also.!! and senior soccer in this country will continue on its slippery slope ---oh and having 3 clubs in Galway is a complete and utter diaster which hasen't helped and is one of the reasons why the FAI have reasons to answer
Why though? Salthill and Mervue both earned their places fairly in the league. The FAI can hardly turn around and say no to them applying just because theres already a league team in Galway. It's not ideal but I don't see what the FAI have done wrong in this situation.

geezer
22/06/2011, 6:26 PM
is the club itself survives. . Not a huge amount is outstanding to professional players and the pressure has come on from 2 particular players who are owed wages of some get this €300 between the 2. Terrible for those players but facts have to be faced and the next ten year plan is based on being honest (naive in irish football speak). The club survives above all else.

The team is not performing, im amazed 500 galwegians are still turning up. We have scored the mighty tally of 3 home goals in the league.

the 3 clubs affects us for the sponsorship pool only and has had a minor 7 to 8% impact in that area.
Even after all those defeats our crowds are double the other 2 put together and half their crowds are made up of gufc anoraks

Its a ten year project, dismantling and repair stage have only begun. Support us on our forum or our flag day.
Tomorrow is a new day and new way
Thanks to the posters here and the Loi Followers for your support. This matters you understand the game and the issues

Mr Maroon
22/06/2011, 6:43 PM
Why though? Salthill and Mervue both earned their places fairly in the league. The FAI can hardly turn around and say no to them applying just because theres already a league team in Galway. It's not ideal but I don't see what the FAI have done wrong in this situation.

They invited them both into the A Championship, ahead of clubs from the rest of the country.

Mervue and Salhill are not the problem though.

Guitd
22/06/2011, 6:47 PM

what i ment was FAI dont seem to support clubs increasing attendances etc.. lets stand back and look at towns/cities the size of sligo/galway/limerick/cork /waterford struggling to get 1000 people through the turnstiles how can it be viable to run pro soccer ,no other country in europe get crowds as small as that to their premier league clubs ,somethings not been done right here and its needs to be addressed from the top down

SkStu
22/06/2011, 6:54 PM
Good luck to Galway United and fans in all this. I spent a few years in Galway in college and on the occasions i didnt travel back for Dalyer games i would attend Galways home games so I have a soft spot for you. The problem then was mainly getting a connect between the club and the people of the city. For some reason, it has always been a problem and obviously still is.

I wish you the best in pulling through this. And advertise your fundraisers on here, ill help if i can.

The Lilywhites
22/06/2011, 6:56 PM
So from "the best run club in Ireland" in 2006 to this. The five-year plan was to become the laughing stock of the league was it? Well done on getting there.

The way Galway went up was an absolute joke. People may think I'm bitter but only for Colin Scanlan's late goal we might still be down in the First Division while this joke of a club are still in the Premier.

I for one am not sad to see Galway in their current state. Go make another DVD and see how far you get.

SkStu
22/06/2011, 7:03 PM
So from "the best run club in Ireland" in 2006 to this. The five-year plan was to become the laughing stock of the league was it? Well done on getting there.

The way Galway went up was an absolute joke. People may think I'm bitter but only for Colin Scanlan's late goal we might still be down in the First Division while this joke of a club are still in the Premier.

I for one am not sad to see Galway in their current state. Go make another DVD and see how far you get.

do you reckon?

Have people not learnt yet not to laugh at other teams misfortunes in this league? I have the hard way. It wasnt long ago i was laughing at Shels and Rovers on their way down - now look at Bohs. Almost all clubs are only one missed payment away from disaster. We are a small community of headcases following this league, we should and can support each other within reason off the pitch.

bennocelt
22/06/2011, 7:13 PM
what i ment was FAI dont seem to support clubs increasing attendances etc.. lets stand back and look at towns/cities the size of sligo/galway/limerick/cork /waterford struggling to get 1000 people through the turnstiles how can it be viable to run pro soccer ,no other country in europe get crowds as small as that to their premier league clubs ,somethings not been done right here and its needs to be addressed from the top down

Wrong and a simple check on the net wud have shown that:rolleyes:

GalwayRed
22/06/2011, 7:14 PM
I suppose with Mervue and Salthill it is a case that they just had a great set up it's just unfortunate they're from the same county. I can understand why the FAI would want clubs like that in the league set up though. As for the crowds I do agree that a club like Galway United should be able to pull in crowds between 2-3000 but I think Nick Leeson put pay to that.
I've just come out of 3 years of college in Galway and I did go to quite a few matches when Shels weren't playing or I couldn't get to Tolka. I've grown a liking for the club and GUST seem to be doing everything they can to keep the club going and I really hope the club pulls through. I think relegation is fairly likely but at least the first division would offer a chance to rebuild. Also I don't think my mate would be too happy if I had got him supporting a club that folded 2 years later.

gufct
22/06/2011, 7:18 PM
do you reckon?

Have people not learnt yet not to laugh at other teams misfortunes in this league? I have the hard way. It wasnt long ago i was laughing at Shels and Rovers on their way down - now look at Bohs. Almost all clubs are only one missed payment away from disaster. We are a small community of headcases following this league, we should and can support each other within reason off the pitch.

Couldnt have said it better Sku. Unless the clubs starting working together and force the FAI into sorting out the mess that is the LOI the whole thing will collapse. I have many good friends involved with other clubs and everyone of them is worried about the future of their own clubs and sweeping these problems under the carpet is only making it worse.

We have gone through horrendous time since October trying to keep the show on the road and the people involved have dug deep into their own pockets to keep things going but unfortunately we are not money men just genuine fans trying to keep the club we love alive and its hard to see people gloating over it thats not why I started going to LOI Games long before we had a team of our own.

Nesta99
22/06/2011, 7:21 PM

Jeez LW dont hold back!! I am still baffled at the con job Lesson pulled on the ILC in 2006 but let it go. If, buts, and maybes, we are in the Premier Division regardless. Look at the reports on Dundalkfc.com re our finances and potential difficulties that lie ahead! Finger pointing is not a good idea in this league from Shamrock Rovers to Harps.
It should be noted that Gerry Mathews did propose to all league clubs to come to some consensus on the financial issues facing the league and some sort of co-operation to tackle things on a league wide basis. He was dismissed out of hand by some of the larger clubs that have since had their troubles.

bluewhitearmy
22/06/2011, 7:21 PM
Who are Galway to complain about Salthill and Mervue being invited into the A Championship they never fairly earned the right to be in the Prem so can have no complaints about anyone being in a league.

The Lilywhites
22/06/2011, 7:23 PM
do you reckon?

Don't worry, Galway will be fine. Something similar to below and they might be given the league title this time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuwsOYVTsXQ

Sorry, but when it comes to Galway, they can go do one. As far as I'm concerned, 2006 won't be forgotten until they're relegated and earn their place in the Premier Division on the pitch.

gufct
22/06/2011, 7:31 PM
They were invited because the FAI didnt have enough teams for the sooper dooper A League and they were begged to go into with promises of gifts from the top table. I wonder how other clubs would feel if Pike,Ballynanty, Drogheda Town,Waterford Bohs,Calry Celtic,Carbury,College Corinthians or Rock Celtic were allowed into the league.

The great idea was to have the loi club as the top of the pyramid in Cities other than Dublin so that all the best young players would play for their local team but that went out the window in Galways case and even people within the FAI know this was a crazy decision that helps none of the 3 clubs involved.

Jofspring
22/06/2011, 7:55 PM
They were invited because the FAI didnt have enough teams for the sooper dooper A League and they were begged to go into with promises of gifts from the top table. I wonder how other clubs would feel if Pike,Ballynanty, Drogheda Town,Waterford Bohs,Calry Celtic,Carbury,College Corinthians or Rock Celtic were allowed into the league.

The great idea was to have the loi club as the top of the pyramid in Cities other than Dublin so that all the best young players would play for their local team but that went out the window in Galways case and even people within the FAI know this was a crazy decision that helps none of the 3 clubs involved.

It makes it more awkward when it comes to signing local players maybe but actually hitting gates what affect have Mervue and Salthill had on Galway Utd? None I'd say or very minimal. Maybe 40 to 50 people at most between both clubs.

3 teams is a lot to come from one county outside of Dublin alright and if lets say Mervue and Salthill where averaging 300 to 500 people, only then they might have an affect I think.

To bring them even into this situation is pretty much a non runner I would think and all the problems are down to previous mismanagement.

Hopefully at the very worst it will only mean Galway have to restart in the first division.

Charlie Darwin
22/06/2011, 8:20 PM
The worry I'd have is that both Salthill and Mervue have really good underage structures, but surely having a senior LOI team diverts resources away from those because the senior teams are hardly profitable on their own.

Guitd
22/06/2011, 8:33 PM
Wrong and a simple check on the net wud have shown that:rolleyes:

ok Mr Stats you might be right but in general crowda at Loi are extremly poor compaired to other decent size pro leagues

gufct
22/06/2011, 8:37 PM
The worry I'd have is that both Salthill and Mervue have really good underage structures, but surely having a senior LOI team diverts resources away from those because the senior teams are hardly profitable on their own.

Exactly the point most people involved in soccer in Galway make .The 3 clubs are not from the same county lads they are all city clubs and if this happened in any other City in the country the existing club would have blocked it but the people running our club at the time decided that we should roll over for the good of Galway Soccer.

athloneman
22/06/2011, 8:37 PM
i wouldnt be too worried about salthill, the rumour doing the rounds is they are to finish out this year and then drop back to junior football!!! and in mervues case, the club is run as two separate clubs, with the loi squads and the junior and underage sets!! and the way mervue have been going this year their future looks bright, i have lost count of the amount of underage trophies they have won, as well as their junior team doing a league and cup double, add to that the loi squad improving and the under 19's in the elite division!!!

galway got themselves into the mess by hiring lesson. i really hope gust can save the club and rebuild for the future but critisising mervue and salthill is unfair and they have underage set ups/own facilities, galway united have nothing!!!

Mr Maroon
22/06/2011, 9:09 PM
Who are Galway to complain about Salthill and Mervue being invited into the A Championship they never fairly earned the right to be in the Prem so can have no complaints about anyone being in a league.

I don't think GUFC fans are blaming the other two clubs being in the league for this situation. It's mostly fans of other clubs who are bringing them up.

GUFC's problem is the disastrous running of the club over the last 5 or 6 years.

geezer
22/06/2011, 9:27 PM
supporters dont see the other 2 as being the problem. The GUFC problem is 35 years old and you cant blame that on 2 clubs who are in the league 2 years and earned the right to be there. GUFC dont own one set of goal nets. That GUFCs fault no one elses. Another point i make is that with over 60 players gaining LOI playing experience in Galway this can only be a good thing. When they come to GUFC if we retain our competitive advantages of bigger crowds, higher division and the pride of wearing your county colors they will have some experience like we see with Mickey Gilmore now and wont be coming from junior leagues which is a big ask and takes 3 years to get a players head round the step up, e.g Stevie Walsh

This is an opportunity now to flush the remaining ****e down the drain and finally put assets in place that really develop a club not a get together every second friday night of a few lads some of whom call themselves "professional" and expect to win anything and expect to fool the people of galway they are of the "community" playing for the jersey or give a **** about the people that are handing the money in the gate.

Thanks to the fools of dub based journos that are completely clueless writing stupid ill informed articles in rag bag papers and getting it arse about face about whats actually happening down here

Its a great way to launch our season of fundraisers and gain national coverage. We now have to continue on walking the walk

ahmcd
22/06/2011, 9:39 PM
If the worst came to the worst and Galway United shut down, would the fans go to support Mervue United, Salthill Devon or no one?

gael353
22/06/2011, 9:56 PM
Don't worry, Galway will be fine. Something similar to below and they might be given the league title this time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuwsOYVTsXQ

Sorry, but when it comes to Galway, they can go do one. As far as I'm concerned, 2006 won't be forgotten until they're relegated and earn their place in the Premier Division on the pitch.

and to think, that video (showing other clubs facilities) and their fictitious "crowds" impressed the FAI so much that they promoted them :rolleyes:

BonnieShels
22/06/2011, 9:59 PM
Well let's hope the reorganisation that will have to occur in the First actually happens otherwise the club's a goner.

Fingers crossed for ye!

legendz
22/06/2011, 10:02 PM
In fairness, Mervue and Salthill did earn their place by right. There was others clubs about: Cobh, Carlow, Tralee, Tullamore and Castlebar. None of these were able to make the step up like the two Galway teams.

BonnieShels
22/06/2011, 10:11 PM
and Fingal...