PDA

View Full Version : The Robbie Keane Stand

Pages : [1] 2

SkStu
20/06/2011, 8:20 PM
is this true?! Fricking hilarious if it is! Not because its Rovers (well maybe a little bit) but just because its so... strange?

http://www.joe.ie/football/league-of-ireland/robbie-keane-stand-in-tallght-stadium-0013317-1

PartySaint
20/06/2011, 8:33 PM
I hope it happens, would be hilarious

ped_ped
20/06/2011, 9:49 PM
Hope to God it doesn't happen.

Surely if this were to be done it should be done in Lansdowne?

SkStu
20/06/2011, 9:52 PM
what the SDCC chooses to do with their stadium is their business... ;)

Charlie Darwin
21/06/2011, 2:02 AM
It's just a mad idea from some councillor. I really can't see it going through considering he has no association whatsoever with the club. Maybe they can name a Gaelic pitch after him and give it to Thomas Davis.

Hibs4Ever
21/06/2011, 4:50 AM
I really can't see it going through considering he has no association whatsoever with the club.

What club? And if you mean Shamrock Rovers, why should he need to have any association with them?

Charlie Darwin
21/06/2011, 5:33 AM
Oh wow, we're doing this. Awesome.

Red Army
21/06/2011, 6:38 AM
Beggars can't be choosey if South Dublin CC want to put a name on a stand it's their business nothing to do with Shams. But why stop with one stand I think the Robbie Keane stadium sounds even better.

Dodge
21/06/2011, 7:07 AM
Oh wow, we're doing this. Awesome.

Isn't it just? It's as if some councillors just won't let you forget it their stadium and they'll do want they want with it

While I'll wet myself laughing if it happens, it just shows the mentality of some elected representative. Wanting to name a stand after a current player who has never played in the stadium, and has no connection with any club who's ever played in the stadium, never mind Rovers

Red Army
21/06/2011, 7:20 AM
But he's from tallaght dodge! Tallaght!

Eminence Grise
21/06/2011, 7:36 AM
A Duff idea, with luke-warm Looney support.

Sounds just like a Ballymagash UDC meeting in Hall's Pictorial Weekly...

thischarmingman
21/06/2011, 8:01 AM
http://www.ponychan.net/chan/arch/src/130809853507.gif

Macy
21/06/2011, 8:10 AM
They should wait for Keane to move back home to Tallaght after he retires....

peadar1987
21/06/2011, 9:07 AM
I'd prefer the Gary Twigg stadium.

marinobohs
21/06/2011, 9:55 AM
But he's from tallaght dodge! Tallaght!

Of course and the opposite stand can be named after his cousin, Jason Byrne - from Tallaght, played there, won Setanta Cup there, Ireland International - you know it makes sense :cool::cool:

Hibs4Ever
21/06/2011, 10:08 AM
Of course and the opposite stand can be named after his cousin, Jason Byrne - from Tallaght, played there, won Setanta Cup there, Ireland International - you know it makes sense :cool::cool:

Don't forget the Keith Fahey Stand ;)

Ezeikial
21/06/2011, 10:19 AM
The Louis Kilcoyne Stand ?

SwanVsDalton
21/06/2011, 10:32 AM
Smart move would be The Richard Dunne Stand. Would have great revenue potential for sponsorship/co-naming rights with Sugar Puffs.

Mr A
21/06/2011, 10:37 AM
A stand in a football stadium being named after an Irish football great from the area. I don't really see why people consider this particularly strange or hilarious.

osarusan
21/06/2011, 10:57 AM
In fairness, I can't think of a single stand named after a player who never played in the ground or for the team whose home ground it is.

Ezeikial
21/06/2011, 10:59 AM
A stand in a football stadium being named after an Irish football great from the area. I don't really see why people consider this particularly strange or hilarious.

Are you sure Kilcoyne is from Tallaght?

peadar1987
21/06/2011, 11:09 AM
This reminds me of something I've noticed about the LOI, and modern football in general, there seem to be fewer stand-name-worthy players than there might previously have been. You need to have played the best part of your career for a club, and players don't seem to stick around long enough to do that these days.

I suppose Bohs fans mightn't have much of a problem having a Glen Crowe stand, and I wouldn't object too much to a Tarzan stand, or Tresson End at the Carlisle, or even a Devlin Stand. I'm struggling to think of other LOI players who would merit having a stand named in their honour.

Edit: I've just seen Crowe is playing his football for Malahide United at the moment. He's only 33, surely he would have been worth a league club taking a punt on him. I doubt Malahide are paying him any great amount of money.

pineapple stu
21/06/2011, 11:23 AM
The Tony Mac stand.

(Although I think there was a vague notion of calling the stand in the Bowl the Tony O'Neill Stand. Would have to be approved by the rugby club as well obviously)

placid casual
21/06/2011, 12:18 PM
doesnt matter what the stands are called.what happens on the pitch,and in the chairmans/managers office is what dictates success.
suck it up also-rans.

Dodge
21/06/2011, 12:20 PM
So you're all for the Robbie Keane stand then? fair play to you

marinobohs
21/06/2011, 12:21 PM
doesnt matter what the stands are called.what happens on the pitch,and in the chairmans/managers office is what dictates success.
suck it up also-rans.

Is that the office of the chairman of SDCC ? or the county managers office ? :cool:

gustavo
21/06/2011, 1:49 PM
I thought it was a shame that the Johnny Chadda stand suggestion didn't win when we had a draw to name the main stand in the Showgrounds. Treacey Avenue stand won but they still refer to it as the "new stand" anyway so it probably wouldn't have made much difference.

SkStu
21/06/2011, 2:13 PM

Mr. A... your sense of humour is your thing, your schtick. You lose that, you lose everything... ;)

Edit: I've just seen Crowe is playing his football for Malahide United at the moment. He's only 33, surely he would have been worth a league club taking a punt on him. I doubt Malahide are paying him any great amount of money.

something to do with claiming his professional sportspersons tax relief/rebate. In order to do so he had to play on amateur terms (iirc) and Malahide's offer worked for him.

Park_Lane
21/06/2011, 10:49 PM
Couldn't give a f*ck what they call the stand/ Stadium. It'll still be the best stadium in the league and have the best and most successful team in the league playing in it.

peadar1987
22/06/2011, 12:02 AM
Couldn't give a f*ck what they call the stand/ Stadium. It'll still be the best stadium in the league and have the best and most successful team in the league playing in it.

And if you're really good, the mighty Seagulls might even let you win the odd game against us there! ;)

PartySaint
22/06/2011, 12:59 AM

So if it was called the Glen Crowe Stadium or the Bohemian Stand you wouldn't mind? Don't lie now

SkStu
22/06/2011, 1:01 AM
well they shouldnt mind cos its not theirs, right? If it was their stadium then they would be right to be mad...

Charlie Darwin
22/06/2011, 1:09 AM
Let's just call it Thomas Davis Stand and get it over with.

PartySaint
22/06/2011, 1:16 AM
In all seriousness tho, Naming a stand after the countries top goalscorer who is from the area is still miles better than Hunky Dorys Park or stadiums named after sponsors in General

peadar1987
22/06/2011, 8:56 AM
In all seriousness tho, Naming a stand after the countries top goalscorer who is from the area is still miles better than Hunky Dorys Park or stadiums named after sponsors in General

Not from a financial point of view!

marinobohs
22/06/2011, 9:35 AM

Deffo - if Robbie Keane or FAI are ponying up sponsorship money. I very much doubt Hunky Dory Park is so called because it is the favorite local snack:o

Yet another mad idea from the village idiots that frequent council chambers (and love the sound of their own voice :rolleyes:). Will probobly die a quiet death unless some other "public representative" decides to expand on the idea (possibly a local poll to decide who gets the honour)

Mr A
22/06/2011, 10:18 AM
Again- why is this dismissed as a mad idea? Do Rovers have something against Robbie Keane?

The counsel build a football ground and somebody suggests naming a stand after the country's all time top scorer who happens to be from the area... if that was the maddest our public representatives came up with the country would be far from the crap state it's currently in.

marinobohs
22/06/2011, 12:57 PM
Again- why is this dismissed as a mad idea? Do Rovers have something against Robbie Keane?

The counsel build a football ground and somebody suggests naming a stand after the country's all time top scorer who happens to be from the area... if that was the maddest our public representatives came up with the country would be far from the crap state it's currently in.

While it would be fun just to see it wind up the shams. Robbie Keane has no connection whatsoever with LOI (the sole function of the stadium at present) and it appears the current customers are not pleased by the idea. No disrespect to Robbie whose record is exceptional I just think naming a stand after him in the Aviva more appropriate (if at all). Far from the worst idea but a bit lacking in sense.

The Jason Byrne Stand however......:cool:

Dodge
22/06/2011, 1:19 PM
Robbie Keane has no connection whatsoever with LOI (the sole function of the stadium at present)

Thats not true. Its in fairly regular use. From weekly carboot sales to all manner of sports (Archery, American football, rugby) and loads of football at loads of levels

Charlie Darwin
22/06/2011, 2:03 PM
The Car Boot Stand has a nice ring to it.

Lim till i die
22/06/2011, 2:35 PM
Could be worse, we're going to call the grandstand in the Markets Field The Eoin Handstand.

PartySaint
22/06/2011, 6:23 PM
Not from a financial point of view!

Always about the money with you Bray fans isn't it

mypost
22/06/2011, 6:28 PM
And if you're really good, the mighty Seagulls might even let you win the odd game against us there! ;)

2009: Rovers 3-1 Bray
2010: Rovers 1-0 Bray
2010: Rovers 4-1 Bray

Thanks for the kindness and generosity. Much appreciated.

SkStu
22/06/2011, 6:48 PM
Tonights Herald...

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/hoops-fans-shocked-by-plan-for-robbie-keane-stand-2802727.html

"...Shamrock Rovers is only a team in that stadium. They're only tenants there. It's council- owned and therefore it belongs to the people of Tallaght. I think it's very, very important. Robbie Keane is an excellent role model for people in Tallaght. He's an inspiration and he's been very good for local soccer."

its a fair enough point i suppose.

Charlie Darwin
22/06/2011, 7:05 PM
Translation: "I want my photograph taken with Robbie Keane."

Boots9
22/06/2011, 7:59 PM
No problem with stand's or stadium's being named after sporting heroes from the area, which Keane clearly is. But doing this before he retires and is still largely in the public eye could backfire if he's caught doing a Ryan Giggs.......

peadar1987
22/06/2011, 10:31 PM
2009: Rovers 3-1 Bray
2010: Rovers 1-0 Bray
2010: Rovers 4-1 Bray

Thanks for the kindness and generosity. Much appreciated.

Yeah, but we won all the even games!

horton
23/06/2011, 5:12 PM
Tonights Herald...

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/hoops-fans-shocked-by-plan-for-robbie-keane-stand-2802727.html

"...Shamrock Rovers is only a team in that stadium. They're only tenants there. It's council- owned and therefore it belongs to the people of Tallaght. I think it's very, very important. Robbie Keane is an excellent role model for people in Tallaght. He's an inspiration and he's been very good for local soccer."

its a fair enough point i suppose.
Oh God, I wonder how long it'll be before there is a campaign in Derry to rename something after Liam Coyle, or worse, Nadine Coyle.:disdain:

total hoofball
23/06/2011, 7:18 PM
No problem with stand's or stadium's being named after sporting heroes from the area, which Keane clearly is. But doing this before he retires and is still largely in the public eye could backfire if he's caught doing a Ryan Giggs.......

Robbie will be too busy playing away from home and scoring and getting caught offside to notice a stand named after him in Tallaght

sligo23
23/06/2011, 8:22 PM
I also can't stand Robbie Keane.