PDA

View Full Version : Help: Fastest Goals

bluemovie
18/06/2011, 11:47 PM
I'm looking to tap into the vast and scary depths of knowledge of some posters here. Apparently there was only 27 seconds between the Blues' third and fourth goals in the 86th minute against Salthill last night. I'm told (from the press box) that the 27 seconds were from the ref's whistle to signal the third up to the whistle for the fourth including celebration, turnaround and kick-off. We're pretty sure they're the fastest consecutive goals for Waterford in any of our memories, but does anyone know of any faster consecutive goals in the League of Ireland?

P.S. Yes, we started the season looking to win the First Division and just over three months in, we're now willing to settle for an obscure goals record :mad:

DannyInvincible
19/06/2011, 12:01 AM
That's pretty good going. These two (non-LOI) were about 24 seconds apart and the second involved getting the ball back to the centre spot and having an immediate crack at goal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rgimoJ8vrQ

bluemovie
19/06/2011, 12:06 AM
Ha, yeah I just googled that about half an hour ago and saw it. Those were goals at opposite ends though. I'm sure somebody around the world has score two in a row faster, but I wonder if there were any on record in Ireland. Our goal celebration music (The Pogues "Fiesta") had just ended and had to be played again immediately. (This totally makes up for having only scored three home league goals going into the match!)

DannyInvincible
19/06/2011, 12:22 AM
Ha, yeah I just googled that about half an hour ago and saw it. Those were goals at opposite ends though.

It makes last night feat more impressive in my book. Waterford would have had to have won the ball back and gone through eleven men to score the second, presumably.

bluemovie
19/06/2011, 12:31 AM
It makes last night feat more impressive in my book. Waterford would have had to have won the ball back and gone through eleven men to score the second, presumably.

It was only Salthill in fairness :(

pineapple stu
19/06/2011, 2:38 PM
Similar, but not quite the same - here's Galway v UCD from the end of the 2007 season. Score was 1-1 after 89 seconds, and that included a stoppage to award a penalty.

B_RmU_EKtJo

bluemovie
27/06/2011, 7:32 PM
Last try. Does anybody have any records on this?

Battery Rover
28/06/2011, 10:51 PM
I will have to go and check through our history but I seem to recall Athlone Town scoring two goals in less than 30 seconds without the other team touching the ball.

It was a penalty just before half time and whistle went immediately after and when we kicked off the second half scored straight away. Mickey O'Connor or Eugene Davis spring to mind.

atfconline might have something on it but I will go through what I have as well.

seand
05/07/2011, 11:10 PM
I threw this one over to the boys on the Guardian website..........

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jul/05/the-knowledge-ridiculous-fines-football

bluemovie
07/07/2011, 10:34 AM
Thanks, Sean. That's excellent. Most of their examples (including the lob over Butt) are of opposing teams scoring. I'd say our two goals could be the fastest for the same team on record. It can't be often that a team wins the ball straight back from their opponents' centre and scores immediately.

DannyInvincible
07/07/2011, 11:00 AM
Did anyone get a video? Or photos? Even four or five photos should suffice to create a clear-cut GIF for something this snappy.

Well, OK; maybe not quite...

bluemovie
07/07/2011, 11:42 AM
http://bluestid.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2011-06-26T18%3A27%3A00%2B01%3A00&max-results=7

There's footage of both goals here, but it doesn't have it all in one sequence. I'll ask the lads who filmed it do they have the full sequence.

pineapple stu
07/07/2011, 2:17 PM
Jaysus - what am I thinking?

Here's Bohs' 2-1 win against us last season. Two goals in 29 seconds, including a 22 second gap between scoring the first and tipping off again. Definitely the best I can do, and still ye win! But maybe it's puts us in second place in crappiness behind Salthill.

Zwh4W6Juqd4

SkStu
07/07/2011, 3:46 PM
off topic but do you remember Crowe's goal against you in UCD Stu? 11 seconds after kick off i think. Loved that goal, one of my favourites. Actually one of my favourite games too - 4:3 to Bohs in the end iirc...

KR's Post
07/07/2011, 8:00 PM
Slightly different but my Uncle Tarzan scored after 22secs in a game in Galway before!

pineapple stu
10/07/2011, 5:06 PM
off topic but do you remember Crowe's goal against you in UCD Stu? 11 seconds after kick off i think. Loved that goal, one of my favourites. Actually one of my favourite games too - 4:3 to Bohs in the end iirc...
Remember it very well; it was featured on MNS a while back. There had to be three tips cos ye kept fecking it up. :p I reckon it confused us. Great game - I think we were winning at one stage? Then Clive Delaney got injured, Crowe finished his hat-trick and we nearly conceded a fifth in injury time after Bazza got caught around half-way as ye cleared a corner; think the ref blew up at that stage, so ye didn't score.