PDA

View Full Version : US Open golf 2011

paudie
17/06/2011, 4:53 PM
http://www.majorschampionships.com/usopen/2011/scoring/index.cfm

Rory McIlroy is leading by 10 shots at the moment! A lot of players haven't started their second round yet.
Hopefully this won't end in tears again.

paudie
17/06/2011, 11:34 PM
McIlroy leads YE Yang by 6 shots after round 2. Rory doubled bogeyed the 18th.

3rd place is 9 shots behind McIlroy on 2 under.

legendz
18/06/2011, 2:52 PM
Britain will be delighted with McIlroy's form. He has afterall stated he will represent Britain when golf is played in the Olympics.

Dodge
18/06/2011, 3:06 PM
Got a link for that?

Last comment I read himself and McDowell said they'd Be happy to represent either

Gather round
18/06/2011, 5:23 PM
They're likely to be the two highest ranked Irish players but not necessarily the highest-ranked in Britain. Comonwealth Games should be sorted though:

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/49377000/jpg/_49377026_gmac2.jpg

Cuyahoga
18/06/2011, 5:27 PM
Got a link for that?

Last comment I read himself and McDowell said they'd Be happy to represent either
www.breakingnews.ie/sport/?c=golf&e=examiner&jp=kfaucwcwkfid

bennocelt
18/06/2011, 5:34 PM
Not like this would be a big deal, sure he is entitled to play for whoever he wants too

Real ale Madrid
18/06/2011, 7:23 PM
Britain will be delighted with McIlroy's form. He has afterall stated he will represent Britain when golf is played in the Olympics.

Why do you bring this up? What relevance is that to the 2011 US Open?

I hope he finishes the job, I think he'll shoot low again today -
Course playing very un-us open like.

BonnieShels
18/06/2011, 9:30 PM
Barring some incredible 7 shot collapse; as it stands he should be fine. All will be known come the back-9 tomorrow.

elroy
19/06/2011, 10:54 PM
Ya saw that before, funny considering he is from the green side of the fence up north.

Back to more important matters, he is home and dry now with 2 to play. Well deserved, particularly after the Masters, breaking records all over the place this weekend.

The Fly
19/06/2011, 11:34 PM
Did anyone else notice WWE's Shane McMahon walking down the fairway with Rory's father?

the bear
19/06/2011, 11:59 PM
Did anyone else notice WWE's Shane McMahon walking down the fairway with Rory's father?

his father was rick flair

awec
20/06/2011, 12:14 AM
Think McMahon is a director of that International Sports Management company that Rory uses.

Anyway, great win for Rory and good to see NI produce back to back open champions! :D

The Fly
20/06/2011, 2:14 AM
Think McMahon is a director of that International Sports Management company that Rory uses.

I was half-hoping to hear some glass shatter, followed by Stone Cold Steve Austin's emergence from behind a tree!

legendz
20/06/2011, 1:26 PM
I'm sure Britain are happy with this. One of McIlroy's goals after all it to represent Britain in the 2016 Olympics.

legendz
20/06/2011, 1:28 PM
Got a link for that?

Yes.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/?c=golf&e=examiner&jp=kfaucwcwkfid

legendz
20/06/2011, 1:29 PM
Why do you bring this up? What relevance is that to the 2011 US Open?

I hope he finishes the job, I think he'll shoot low again today -
Course playing very un-us open like.

I bring it up because everyone going on that's it's a great result for Ireland. I'm just putting things into perspective. Hat's off to him anyways, it was a fantastic result and a great win for him.

Real ale Madrid
20/06/2011, 1:49 PM
I bring it up because everyone going on that's it's a great result for Ireland. I'm just putting things into perspective. Hat's off to him anyways, it was a fantastic result and a great win for him.

No-one was going on about it being a great result for Ireland on Saturday afternoon, when you originally brought it up ( for no reason ).

Golf is organised in this country as a single Union - so it IS a great result for Ireland. Same as if the Irish rugby team won something. I coudnt care less if he considers himself was Irish, British or Greek.

Not Brazil
20/06/2011, 2:15 PM
Ya saw that before, funny considering he is from the green side of the fence up north.

What do you mean by "from the Green side of the fence"?

Anyway - superb performance from Rory.

Him and GMac have made many people in Northern Ireland very, very, proud.

Absolutely magnificant stuff - unlike my hangover today.

Dodge
20/06/2011, 3:15 PM
Him and GMac have made many people in Northern Ireland very, very, proud.

And people in Ireland, and people in Britain. And people in the US etc etc

Luckily for them its an individual sport and they don’t have to ‘be’ any national

Seems like a nice guy, so good luck to him

Irwin3
20/06/2011, 3:39 PM
McIlroy on twitter 2/4/11:

RM: "Get Gibson off!!!! Worst player man utd has!!
Other tweeter: "is that because he shirked the #gawa army to play for our southern Cousins? Or just because he's useless?"
RM: "Both!!"

Given the fact that McIlroy plays for Ireland at the World Cup and wants to play for Team GB at the olympics you'd think that he of all people would understand the choice for people born in N.I. especially since his good friend McDowell has said he would represent either in the Olympics.

Sounds like a very confused young man. I'm guessing it's the town he grew up in and his school/friends that have influenced his viewpoint.

Not Brazil
20/06/2011, 4:39 PM
And people in Ireland, and people in Britain. And people in the US etc etc

Luckily for them its an individual sport and they don’t have to ‘be’ any national

Why do you think they always have a national flag beside the players' name on the Leaderboard?

Back to back wins by two Northern Irish golfers in the US Open is simply sensational.

Heros welcome for Rory when he comes home through the week.

PS. Great moment at the end when Gerry McIlroy met Gmac, and said to him - "What about wee Northern Ireland"

Real ale Madrid
20/06/2011, 4:47 PM

Other tweeter: "is that because he shirked the #gawa army to play for our southern Cousins? Or just because he's useless?"

Given the fact that McIlroy plays for Ireland at the World Cup and wants to play for Team GB at the olympics you'd think that he of all people would understand the choice for people born in N.I. especially since his good friend McDowell has said he would represent either in the Olympics.

Sounds like a very confused young man. I'm guessing it's the town he grew up in and his school/friends that have influenced his viewpoint.

Yeah like noboby has ever said anything stupid on twitter.

Not Brazil
20/06/2011, 4:52 PM

His Dad (Gerry) is a Man City fan.

Rory's first love (outside of golf) is rugby - big Ulster fan, and to be seen at Ravenhill regularly when he's not playing golf.

Irwin3
20/06/2011, 5:50 PM
His Dad (Gerry) is a Man City fan.

Rory's first love (outside of golf) is rugby - big Ulster fan, and to be seen at Ravenhill regularly when he's not playing golf.

Rory 'supports' United.

Irwin3
20/06/2011, 5:52 PM
Yeah like noboby has ever said anything stupid on twitter.

Good post.

Not Brazil
20/06/2011, 6:18 PM
Rory 'supports' United.

I gathered that from his Twitter comments you posted.

davey
20/06/2011, 7:18 PM
Jesus, some of the comments on this thread :mad:

No Major wins for Irishmen for 60 years and now we've had 5 in the last 4 years !

Its incredible really. :D

Dodge
20/06/2011, 7:50 PM
Why do you think they always have a national flag beside the players' name on the Leaderboard?

You misunderstood me. McIlroy is clearly from NI and proud of it. What 'side' of NI he's from is immaterial. Both will 'claim' his success anyway so what difference does it make