PDA

View Full Version : El grand classico

outspoken
15/06/2011, 5:52 PM
Only 3 days to go now until the big local derby. We've had a tough run of late so a win over our local friends is badly needed.

I hear that Cathal Brady, Jack Morley and Graham Dowling are all back in training and possibly in contention while Austin Skelly is expected to play against his former club.

I've been talking to alot of people about this game and even some of the Athlone fans think wel win it so let's hope everything goes to plan, a good win and no more injuries and should be a good away crowd too - Cmon De Town - De Real Town - LTFC.

L.T.F.C.
18/06/2011, 8:39 PM
1-1.

Not good.

outspoken
19/06/2011, 10:58 AM
First 45 minutes was pure muck (a bit like the Athlone pitch) apart from Roaches moment of brilliance. I said at half we needed a 2nd goal to put the game to bed because despite no having an actual chances I thought Athlone looked dangerous and good for a goal at some stage so to see the lads come out 2nd half and totally take their foot of the gas was very very frustrating.

Roach had a great chance to seal the game after a magnificent pass for Keith Gillespie who was probably our best player on the night but to be fair to Schlingermann he stood up well and made himself big but roach did hit it straight at him.

Dan Reilly then had a brilliant chance but he thought he was on dancing on ice and did more slipping and sliding than anything when he came on while Des hope also had a great chance from a corner.

In the end we were lucky not to lose only for Hunts fingertips and the crossbar we would have lost and while people will say look at the positives that was a very depressing night.

I think its very clear we have become far too reliant on Don Cowan and that when hes not playing we just hit long balls to Aussie all night which was a waste of time because whenever he won a flick on there was a 2--30 yard gap between himself and the nearest Town forward.

On a brighter note great to see Jack and Graham back and hopefully the later's injury isn't too bad but it was clear to see he was playing through the pain barrier throughout

Martinho II
19/06/2011, 7:13 PM
it was a disappointin display. we took our foot off the gas badly in the second half. yet again gillespie outshone everyone on the pitch. Lee Roche took his goal fantastically well. Only for Hunt we would have lost. I heard at the game that hunt has being watched by Birmingham City scouts . Hes way too good for us and deserves a move cross water. His decision makin is top notch. I really hope the team will be shaken up against monaghan .

outspoken
19/06/2011, 9:27 PM
Hope it's true about hunt in a way because he really deserves it but if he goes who have we and don't say rouse cause he's muck I'm sorry to be so critical but he's so slow and for someone his size he seems to drop alot of high balls and whenever he gets a knock he seems to get injured unlike hunt who goes flying in absoutely fearless.

Got to agree with you marty his decision making is top notch he gets off his line so quickly to clear the danger and he has a good eye for a pass too.

Don and Aussie both need a proper rest but since we have no cover they won't get a chance to so all I'd say about the Monaghan game is if Don dosnt play we have no hope because we have become totally reliant on him which is never good for any team.

Also agree with you on Gillespie he really is something else he knows what he's going to do with the ball 10 seconds before he gets it and that pass to Roach which lead to the Schlingermann save was one of the best I've ever seen at a live match.

Hylo was very disappointing as was Salmo but they both worked very hard, Im afraid Hylo will have to make way 4 Gilly when Dotsy comes back as there's no need for 2 holding players, and again a lot of Town fans are calling for Craig Walsh to be given his chance this could be the time to do it.

outspoken
19/06/2011, 9:29 PM
On the Monaghan game is there any word of it been moved to Friday night surely there's no way we can go up against the GAH? It's a massive double header up to road in Breffini on Saturday Flancare will be totaly empty, the mons are bringing a bus load tho so that might help somewhat.

L.T.F.C.
20/06/2011, 2:22 AM
Outspoken, I'm finding it really frustrating when you spell Lee Roche's name; Roach, Roache!

Also, from what I heard that Roche's "moment of brilliance", was just an open goal, and anything but a goal was unacceptable.
That O'Reilly lad, is he the young guy, plays underage for us, and played against Killester? If he is... get rid.

Tallanted
20/06/2011, 1:05 PM
From what you heard?? So you didn't see it, it was a super finish from a long distance out, credit where credit is due he had alot of work to do to clear 3 defenders and find the the top corner. And yes it is the same fella, his name is Daniel Reilly, he is a young player and granted he didnt play well against Killester but has done very well in the last few games, he has great potential and is only learning so I wouldn't be writing of a young player based on the Killester game.
We weren't clinical enough on Saturday night, its over now we push onto the Monaghan game.

Longfordian
20/06/2011, 1:34 PM
He's got a long way to go but I doubt he's getting paid anything what harm is it keeping him around? He was very impressive for Athlone u20s last year by all accounts, let the coaches develop him and see how he progresses.

Salmon Coloured
20/06/2011, 2:44 PM
Seriously lads any update on when were playing Monaghan? Is it finalised for the Saturday?

Tallanted
20/06/2011, 4:08 PM
Saturday at 7.30

outspoken
20/06/2011, 5:47 PM
The tumbleweed will be blowing on Saturday night so cant believe were going up against the GAA matches in Breffini on Saturday it was probably to loate to change but they should have seen it coming, going to miss it myself I'm off on Holidays, not confident off a result tbh especially if Don and Aussie dont play.

Town Legend
23/06/2011, 11:04 AM
I heard myself at the Limerick game that Birmingham were looking at Hunt so there might be something into it but I wonder would the change in manager over there scupper the deal?

Salmon got a bad blow on the head from a ball early in the game and didn't look happy or comfortable from that point onwards so that could have something with his off-form performance. And on Roche's goal it was a wonderful strike from 40 yards out. I think it's time for Walsh to be handed a central midfield role, no creativity there at all. Disappointing performance but will hope for better on Saturday. Keep the faith!

howsyourtouch
24/06/2011, 2:33 AM
The tumbleweed will be blowing on Saturday night so cant believe were going up against the GAA matches in Breffini on Saturday it was probably to loate to change but they should have seen it coming, going to miss it myself I'm off on Holidays, not confident off a result tbh especially if Don and Aussie dont play.

thats 2 posts in the one page you have gone on about being "up against the GAA"!? i genuinely dont think that of the two or three hundred who regularlly attend home games there is a massive crossover of people who would attend county GAA matches and home matches in flancare so i dont see how it is we are going up against them or what ever it is your on about! our crowd wont be affected, nothing noticeable at least.

Acornvilla
24/06/2011, 11:42 PM
if it helps i'll be at flancare :D