PDA

View Full Version : Keanes Partner for wc Qualifiers

Pages : [1] 2

gustavo
22/06/2004, 8:22 PM
requested by eirebhoy

I'm sure we can all agree that Roy is a certain starter for the qualifiers but who plays beside him is the big question. Holland is probably who Kerr will go with but a lot of us think there are better options. Most of you will know from reading my posts that Kavanagh is my preferred choice because of his work rate and high goals, passing and tackling success rate.

So who do you think would be the best player to partner Keane in the centre?

KISS N.O.C
22/06/2004, 8:30 PM
Graham kavanagh is good but id go for liam miller.

Holland, Miller and Keane in midfield with Duff having the free role. Connolly and Keane up front. O'Shea, O'Brien, Cunningham and Carr at the back. And Given in goals obviously. :ball:

Condex
22/06/2004, 8:59 PM
Where's Kilbane....

Condex
22/06/2004, 9:03 PM
Graham kavanagh is good but id go for liam miller.

Holland, Miller and Keane in midfield with Duff having the free role. Connolly and Keane up front. O'Shea, O'Brien, Cunningham and Carr at the back. And Given in goals obviously. :ball:

Connolly - The mans a proven failure, I never want to see him again in an Irish squad let alone the team.

tricky_colour
22/06/2004, 10:15 PM
This A. N. Other is a popular selection, who does he plan for?
Some up and coming youngster no doubt.

tricky_colour
22/06/2004, 10:17 PM
Where's Kilbane....

Looks like he is "Another" and the vote leader.

eirebhoy
22/06/2004, 10:36 PM
I included Kilbane in my PM:

Thanks mate.

The post can read:

I'm sure we can all agree that Roy is a certain starter for the qualifiers but who plays beside him is the big question. Holland is probably who Kerr will go with but a lot of us think there are better options. Most of you will know from reading my posts that Kavanagh is my preferred choice because of his work rate and high goals, passing and tackling success rate.

So who do you think would be the best player to partner Keane in the centre?

options:

Holland
Kavanagh
Miller
Kibane
A.Reid
Delap
Kinsella
other

Cheers,
eirebhoy.

He must've missed him. Maybe you could edit it Gustavo and put the 4 votes for other onto Kilbane.
Cheers.

only1kilbane
23/06/2004, 8:01 AM
yeah has to be kilbane for me. The way he played in centre mid when he was given the chance put him forward for the position. To me his only real competitor is Matt but would rather the forward runs of kilbane with keane doing the dog work

carnstien
23/06/2004, 8:37 AM
The best option is Ried in the middle with Keane and Miller on the right. Or Miller in the middle and Ried on the right.

The only other possible option is Miller or Ried in the middle and Finnan or Carr on the right.

Forget Holland, Kilbane, Carsley, Breen and friends, they are proven failures who could not get us our of a **** easy group for the Euro qualifiers.

pete
23/06/2004, 9:35 AM
Wheres Kilbane?

tiktok
23/06/2004, 9:41 AM
voted other...Kilbane has shown recently that he's worth a look.

corkharps
23/06/2004, 10:04 AM
Trigger! :p

Schumi
23/06/2004, 11:35 AM
I went for Kilbane too (Other!). He looked good in the middle for Ireland in whatever friendly it was. Not ideal but he's ahead of the other options for me.

eirebhoy
23/06/2004, 11:45 AM
Wheres Kilbane?
He's probably on holidays somewhere.

max power
23/06/2004, 11:54 AM
don't need to posat kilbanes name up there, just put the word donkey instead :D

only1kilbane
23/06/2004, 1:23 PM
The " donkey " is our best option in the centre as nobody else has really grasped the position have they ? In the couple of friendlies he played there he added energy which was badly missing with matty in the centre

carnstien
23/06/2004, 2:52 PM
The " donkey " is our best option in the centre as nobody else has really grasped the position have they ? In the couple of friendlies he played there he added energy which was badly missing with matty in the centre
That donkey is not our best option. He is a hopeless passer of the ball, has no creativity and does not have the ability to go around a man. He might run alot but thats not what we need. Ried or Miller have the talent to open up a defence, Kilbane does not, end of story.

Countyman
23/06/2004, 3:20 PM
yep kilbane beside Keano for me too.

eirebhoy
23/06/2004, 3:37 PM
Reid;Andy or Stephen.....are both wingers & would have no chance of playing centre-midfield,unless under extreme circumstances!
Reid played against Canada in the centre of midfield and had his best ever performance for Ireland.

He also played in the centre for Forest a lot of the season, I've just googled to confirm:

Taylor, a success in a Burnley team where two wingers provided him with a plentiful supply of crosses, now plays ahead of a midfield diamond where the best crosser, Andy Reid, is often in a central role.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/feature?id=290939&cc=5739

brine2
23/06/2004, 5:43 PM
What are all the raving reviews for Kilbane based on? A couple of halves in friendly matches? Kevin Kilbane, international class centre-midfielder? Pull the other leg!

Slash/ED
23/06/2004, 5:51 PM
Reid played in the centre of a diamond, in the position behind the front two. Ideally, that's his best position, but that formational just doesn't suit us. He can't play in the middle of a central mid field duo as he'd be a liability there. Get Miller in beside Keane and stick Reid on the right.

There's a difference between playing against Canada and playing against proper international class teams.

Countyman
24/06/2004, 7:51 AM
What are all the raving reviews for Kilbane based on? A couple of halves in friendly matches? Kevin Kilbane, international class centre-midfielder? Pull the other leg!

when the choice is between Holland,Kavanagh, Kinsella, a few wingers and Liam Miller who has a lot to prove IMHO then I think Kilbane is as good as any in there.

At least you know he is playing in a game ulike the invisible man Mattie Holland.

tiktok
24/06/2004, 8:05 AM

What are all the raving reviews for Miller based on? A couple of halves in friendly matches? Liam Miller, international class centre-midfielder? :rolleyes:

only1kilbane
24/06/2004, 8:09 AM
Well said one decent friendly for Ireland and suddenly hes the answer to our prayers. Maybe he can do a job on the right but Miller is not strong enough yet to control the centre mid with Keane . Kilbane or Holland for me preferably kilbane

carnstien
24/06/2004, 9:18 AM
Reid played in the centre of a diamond, in the position behind the front two. Ideally, that's his best position, but that formational just doesn't suit us. He can't play in the middle of a central mid field duo as he'd be a liability there. Get Miller in beside Keane and stick Reid on the right.

There's a difference between playing against Canada and playing against proper international class teams.
Although you have not lowered yourself to saying Kilbane should partner Keane in central midfield, I disagree that Ried (Andy, not that waste of space Stephen) would be a liability there. He has exceptional passing ability and is composed on the ball and although he is small, he is very strong.

Kilbane's lack of composure and crap passing ability would lead him to be a complete liability in the middle, constantly giving the ball away, neary as bad as Carsley I'd say.

max power
24/06/2004, 9:21 AM
i think we can say that a lot of people on this board feel Kilbane is a donkey !!! i feel justified in my comments and shall leave now with my head heald high cause i am more of a man then of you !!!!

sorry went into veiri mode there for a min....

Slash/ED
24/06/2004, 10:16 AM
He has exceptional passing ability and is composed on the ball and although he is small, he is very strong.

On the ball in central mid field he's be fantastic, but off it people would stroll pass him. You can't put someone in central mid field when they've rarely ever played there and expect them to do it just because they're talented, it's a very difficult position to play in and he's be a liability on the back foot. It would be like playing Duff there.

carnstien
24/06/2004, 12:41 PM
On the ball in central mid field he's be fantastic, but off it people would stroll pass him. You can't put someone in central mid field when they've rarely ever played there and expect them to do it just because they're talented, it's a very difficult position to play in and he's be a liability on the back foot. It would be like playing Duff there.
I don't quite agree that it would be like playing Duff there. Duff is an out and out left winger, it is his best position by a mile and he looks lost anywhere else on the pitch.

Ried is far more versitile and if he has King Roy alongside him I very much doubt that he would be ALLOWED to let people stroll past him.

I'm just making a point that I think Ried is a good option in the centre, personally I would probably go for Ried on the right and Miller in the centre, but I really think that Ried in the centre is an option to be reckoned with and something that should be tried out.

One things for sure in my mind, he is certainly a better option than Kilbane there.

Plastic Paddy
24/06/2004, 12:49 PM
Given the qualities that all here seem to seek in a central midfielder (tracking back, strong in the tackle, good passer, able to open channels for distribution) and the pro/anti Kilbane/Holland sub-plots going on, I'm surprised that no-one's mentioned Rory Delap. He plays there week-in and out for a decent Premiership side and was highly thought of by Gordon Strachan, no easy man to please. Some of the suggestions here range from the plausible to the laughable, so maybe Delap is someone that we could all agree :eek: on.

Thoughts?

:ball: PP

(Carnstien, just a small point, but I have to say it. I know about "i before e except after c" and all that, but it doesn't apply in this case. Both Andy and Steven's surname is Reid. Not Ried. There. Phew. ;) )

Plastic Paddy
24/06/2004, 1:08 PM
Is n't he more of yer wing-back type....good person to have in the squad or on the bench,but doesn't seem to have a settled position when I see him play...

Like O'Shea, he's suffered from being perceived as a utility player and has therefore rarely been used in one settled position until Strachan started playing him in the centre for Southampton. From there, I think he's been excellent.

:) PP

eirebhoy
24/06/2004, 1:31 PM
Given the qualities that all here seem to seek in a central midfielder (tracking back, strong in the tackle, good passer, able to open channels for distribution) and the pro/anti Kilbane/Holland sub-plots going on, I'm surprised that no-one's mentioned Rory Delap. He plays there week-in and out for a decent Premiership side and was highly thought of by Gordon Strachan, no easy man to please. Some of the suggestions here range from the plausible to the laughable, so maybe Delap is someone that we could all agree :eek: on.
I agree.

If Kavanagh or Delap were 22 and Miller was 29/30 with the same ability as they have now, I am absolutely 100% sure that the votes would completely in favour of Kav/Delap. Kavanagh and Delap are currently much better players than Miller, the world cup is in 2 years so its not as if they're going to be old men when it starts. Can people forget about potential ability and think about our best midfielder currently.

Countyman
24/06/2004, 1:53 PM
I'l love to see what Delap has to offer on the international stage

but he has been cruxified with injuries whenever he gets the call for ireland.
I'd say Strachan pulled his hair out whenever the phone rang for Delap because he was guaranteed to be out of the game for 2-3 weeks.

I agree though he could be useful. Sure didnt he score one of the goals of the season last year. Cant remember against who?

Bowsy
24/06/2004, 3:08 PM
I agree.

If Kavanagh or Delap were 22 and Miller was 29/30 with the same ability as they have now, I am absolutely 100% sure that the votes would completely in favour of Kav/Delap. Kavanagh and Delap are currently much better players than Miller, the world cup is in 2 years so its not as if they're going to be old men when it starts. Can people forget about potential ability and think about our best midfielder currently.

Well said. Millionth time i've said this but Miller hasn't proved himself yet. For me it has to be Kilbane, Holland or maybe even Delap in the middle with Keane.

Shelsman
24/06/2004, 4:51 PM
Nobody has mentioned Colin Healy yet, I know he's injured but I think that he would be a definite candidate if he was fit in time for the qualifiers.

Slash/ED
24/06/2004, 5:27 PM
Well said. Millionth time i've said this but Miller hasn't proved himself yet. For me it has to be Kilbane, Holland or maybe even Delap in the middle with Keane.

How has Miller not proved himself as a central mid fielder yet Kilbane has? Sorry but that's just daft.

Delaps a good option, but I think he's too similar to Keane to play beside him, he would be a good replacement though.

brine2
24/06/2004, 5:57 PM
You don't necessarily need a physically strong player in the centre of the pitch. In 2003 Ajax played Arsenal at Highbury, and Steven Pienaar danced circles around Patrick Vieira. Steven Pienaar is probably one of the smallest and weakest players at Ajax, but he read the play so well and played the ball so quickly that he was always two yards ahead of Vieira, so it didn't matter that he was weak and small.

And with Keane doing the mental intimidation, a skilled midfielder next to him (Reid or Miller) would balance things out nicely. For too long now we Irish have been happy to have players like Kilbane, players who run around like headless chickens and get nothing done.

eirebhoy
24/06/2004, 5:58 PM
How has Miller not proved himself as a central mid fielder yet Kilbane has? Sorry but that's just daft.

Delaps a good option, but I think he's too similar to Keane to play beside him, he would be a good replacement though.
What do you think of Kavanagh then? He's certainly not too similar to Roy as he gets forward a lot more. I'm sure you'd agree that the quality of opposition in the SPL is no better than that of division 1. Miller scored 2 goals in the SPL this season, Kavanagh scored 7 in Division one. I am a Celtic supporter and hold no grudge over Millers decision over his future but he's certainly not as good as Kavanagh. He has the ability to be better but at the moment Kavanagh is a better all round player. BTW, Kavanagh has over 50 appearances in the premiership and played well, he got let go by Robson when he took over.

Slash/ED
24/06/2004, 7:09 PM
What do you think of Kavanagh then? He's certainly not too similar to Roy as he gets forward a lot more. I'm sure you'd agree that the quality of opposition in the SPL is no better than that of division 1. Miller scored 2 goals in the SPL this season, Kavanagh scored 7 in Division one. I am a Celtic supporter and hold no grudge over Millers decision over his future but he's certainly not as good as Kavanagh. He has the ability to be better but at the moment Kavanagh is a better all round player. BTW, Kavanagh has over 50 appearances in the premiership and played well, he got let go by Robson when he took over.

Miller did it in the champions league, that's what sets him apart from Kavanagh, who couldn't make it in the premiership.

eirebhoy
24/06/2004, 7:45 PM
Miller did it in the champions league, that's what sets him apart from Kavanagh, who couldn't make it in the premiership.
Miller did in in the CL? You've got to be joking. A few subsitute appearances and a good performance against Anderlecht. Eh, Kavanagh had two seasons in the premiership, Bryan Robson took over and released him. Didn't Staunton, Houghton and McGrath get released at some time? Cardiff paid a million pounds for Kav and he hasn't let them down since.

Slash/ED
24/06/2004, 7:58 PM
Miller did in in the CL? You've got to be joking. A few subsitute appearances and a good performance against Anderlecht. Eh, Kavanagh had two seasons in the premiership, Bryan Robson took over and released him. Didn't Staunton, Houghton and McGrath get released at some time? Cardiff paid a million pounds for Kav and he hasn't let them down since.

He was let go by a premiership club and no other premiership clubs picked him up, he's spent the rest of his career between division one and two, therefore, he did not make it in the premiership.

Miller scored twice in the champions league group stages and was excellent every time he played, coming off the bench or starting. He was also man of the match in his last international match.

carnstien
24/06/2004, 10:19 PM
I agree.

This is the biggest pile of ****e I have ever seen in my life.

What the hell are you trying to do, prove the Swiss manager right?

Kavanagh and Delap are grafters, nothing more, we don't need grafters in our team, we have enough of them. The kind of player you want beside Keano is a player who is gifted with the ball at his feet. Kavanagh or Delap wouldn't open up a defence to save their lives!

Miller and Ried should be the only players anyone is considering. Anyone who thinks any other player should get the nod hasn't got a clue.

eirebhoy
24/06/2004, 10:28 PM
This is the biggest pile of ****e I have ever seen in my life.

What the hell are you trying to do, prove the Swiss manager right?

Kavanagh and Delap are grafters, nothing more, we don't need grafters in our team, we have enough of them. The kind of player you want beside Keano is a player who is gifted with the ball at his feet. Kavanagh or Delap wouldn't open up a defence to save their lives!

Miller and Ried should be the only players anyone is considering. Anyone who thinks any other player should get the nod hasn't got a clue.
If you posted that to try and make my blood boil you have succeeded. Please don't post if you haven't seen Kavanagh or Delap play more than a couple of times. I'm not even going to go as far as to defend the two lads as anyone who critisises an Irish player that hasn't even had the chance to play badly for Ireland doesn't deserve a proper reply.

tiktok
25/06/2004, 7:33 AM
....we don't need grafters in our team, we have enough of them.....

with your suggested midfield of Miller Reid Keane Duff, we wouldn't have a grafter. don't bother coming back with an argument that Keane is a grafter, because in he's at his best at MUFC when Nicky Butt or Phil Neville (and Darren Fletcher recently) do the harrying and grafting for him.

....Anyone who thinks any other player should get the nod hasn't got a clue....

:rolleyes:
I'll pass on your concerns to Brian Kerr the next time he chooses Kilbane, Holland or Delap in the centre.

carnstien
25/06/2004, 8:11 AM
If you posted that to try and make my blood boil you have succeeded. Please don't post if you haven't seen Kavanagh or Delap play more than a couple of times. I'm not even going to go as far as to defend the two lads as anyone who critisises an Irish player that hasn't even had the chance to play badly for Ireland doesn't deserve a proper reply.
I have seen both Delap and Kavanagh play on numerous occasions and my opinion on both of them is that they are unable to do, to an acceptable level, the most important job of a central midfielder, which is to pass the ball well, maintaining posession, while making inroads into the opposition's defence.

Keane does it as well as anyone else in the world and with Miller or Ried beside him we could cut through teams with slick passing rather than hoofing long balls like the Swiss manager accused us of.

Slash/ED
25/06/2004, 11:51 AM
with your suggested midfield of Miller Reid Keane Duff, we wouldn't have a grafter. don't bother coming back with an argument that Keane is a grafter, because in he's at his best at MUFC when Nicky Butt or Phil Neville (and Darren Fletcher recently) do the harrying and grafting for him.

Is that why Keane and Scholes were one of the best central mid field partnerships in the premiership ever?

tiktok
25/06/2004, 12:27 PM
Is that why Keane and Scholes were one of the best central mid field partnerships in the premiership ever?

yeah, were one of.....no arguments there

we're asking about a partner for Keane for the next two years, not one that's going to build a time-travel machine and go back four years and play with a 29 year old Keane :rolleyes: , for all his strengths, running around midfield hassling players for ninety minutes isn't in him anymore.

We'll have the ability to break down defences in Miller/Reid on the right and in Duff/Reid on the left, Keane still passes a ball and controls tempo well, but when France break from an Irish corner and Pires and Viera are racing towards Given's goal, who do you want grafting back, I'll have Kilbane in there.

Slash/ED
25/06/2004, 12:38 PM
Yes but Miller has a great engine anyway, he's another box to box man. Keane sits on front of the back four and Miller does the running box to box. We don't need another 'grafter' beside Keane, anyway Miller covers as much ground as Kilbane does.

eirebhoy
25/06/2004, 12:46 PM
...pass the ball well, maintaining posession, while making inroads into the opposition's defence.
You've just describe Kavanagh to a tee.

tiktok
25/06/2004, 12:48 PM
...and down the line I think that's where Miller will play Slash/Ed, but until he has at least one season where he's a regular at club level, I don't think anyone can claim he's anything other than promising.

by the end of the qualifiers he could well be there, but I'd sooner have Kilbane, of course, it's just my opinion, which is moot, because Kerr will play Holland anyway.

Slash/ED
25/06/2004, 12:48 PM
You've just describe Kavanagh to a tee.

Yes, in the first division, he has to prove he can do it in the premiership or in the friendly chances he gets for Ireland to get into the side for a qualifyer.