PDA

View Full Version : Swiss Retirements

liamon
22/06/2004, 4:36 PM
Looks like the Swiss will have to do without three of their regulars for the next campaign.
Soccernet story (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/euro2004/headlinenews?id=303759&cc=5739)
Striker Chapuisat, goalkeeper Joerg Stiel and midfielder Fabio Celestini have all retired after Euro 2004.

They may also miss Frei as he's due to have a hearing in July.

I would love it, love it if we beat them.

eirebhoy
22/06/2004, 4:43 PM
Great news. I think the Swizz and French will have a lot of rebuilding to do.

eirebhoy
22/06/2004, 5:50 PM
Lets hope France win the Championship as a few players will want to retire from international football on a high. There's a few players in there 30's now in the France squad:

Bartez (33)
Coupet (31)
Desailly (36)
Lizarazu (34)
Thuram (32)
Dacourt (30)
Makelele (31)
Pires (31)
Zidane (32)
Marlet (30)
Wiltord (30)

Players rarely retire midway through a qualifying campaign so the players that don't retire after the championships are expecting to be around for 2006. Therefore, Desailly and Lizarazu are nearly certain to retire. Thuram and Zidane could well retire also. I'd prefer Thuram to retire rather than Zidane as it means a whole new inexperienced centre half pairing for the Ireland match.

Slash/ED
23/06/2004, 5:53 PM
Ideally Wiltord and Desailly will stick around anyway.

Bowsy
24/06/2004, 1:00 PM
Think of the French players only Lizarazu and Desailly will definitely retire. Other possibles being Thuram and Zizou. Don't think losing Thuram would disrupt them that much as Gallas will just slot into Centre half and Sagnol will become regular right full. Losing Zidane for obvious reasons would be a blow but also because he's carrying them through this tournament so far. Without him the French would be out.
Swiss retirements make little difference as Chapuisat is a shadow of his former self and hasn't scored in donkeys and Celestini isn't a first choice player. Stiel's retirement could be good for us though as haven't been impressed by Zuberbuhler when I've seen him play.

Condex
24/06/2004, 9:56 PM
Why do people think so low of Ireland that they need a raft of retirements or a banned player to beat Switzerland.

If we can't beat Switzerland with whoever we have no reason going tp the world cup.

Daxion
24/06/2004, 10:12 PM
Why do people think so low of Ireland that they need a raft of retirements or a banned player to beat Switzerland.

If we can't beat Switzerland with whoever we have no reason going tp the world cup.

I will second that motion!

eirebhoy
24/06/2004, 10:21 PM

There are a lot of teams that would get beaten by the Swizz in Basel. We'll certainly beat them at home (I hope i'm not being to complacent) but a draw would be a good result in Basel. Although, we have a better chance of beaten Switzerland away from home than we do of beaten Israel.

pineapple stu
24/06/2004, 10:30 PM

Can't hurt, can it?! :)

liamon
25/06/2004, 8:26 AM

I don't think anyone said that. Personally, I think we'll beat them either way. It's just an extra little thing to help us on our way.

gspain
25/06/2004, 8:37 AM
Guys we lost home and away to the Swiss last time. We were rubbish in Basle last time.

The home Swiss game is last match - we'll knoww hat we need then and way too early to call. I can't see us winning in Basle - I think we'll get a draw and that will be a great result if we get it.

I don't like this over confidence - remind you of anyone?????