PDA

View Full Version : Trap contract?

Pages : [1] 2

elroy
13/06/2011, 9:49 AM
There was alot of stuff in the papers over the wkd about Traps last press conference after the Italy game where the topic of a new contract with the FAI was brought up. Trap has indicated he wants to stay and more or less said the ball is in the FAIs court. He also more or less said that if another club/country comes into for him, he would need to consider it.

From what I can gather, opinion on here is divided about Trap. Some are very happy with him, believe in the system, its getting results. Others hate the system and style we play irrespective of the outcome.

Considering the success over the last few weeks, whats the mindset like now? Should we wait until after the campaign to look at renewing a contract, thereby running the risk that he is snapped up by some other association or club? Or should we reward his progress now, the squad/team appear to be developing all the time and accepting the system that he wants the team to play.

There is also talk that money from D O'Brien isnt as forthcoming this time around, that he is not willing to stump up the cash unless Trap delivers qualification, so all in all it is looking like it will be end of the campaign one way or another.

Scooby Doo
13/06/2011, 10:45 AM
I'm very worried that the FAI will dither over this and equally concerned at the prospect of losing the only manager since McCarthy who is showing clear signs of bridging the gap between 'team in transition', to a content, confident squad with multiple decent options in most positions. We're getting results. Our away form is excellent. The emphasis on playing for pride and the privilage of wearing the green jersey is slowly returning.

For the first time years there is evidence of a team that is developing into a formidable outfit. Trap spoke of the job as a project and has said that his work is not finished. I fully believe that this is the case, that there is a lofty point to which Trap is aspiring to bring this team - unlike Staunton's ambiguous 'four year plan'. I'm delighted that he wants to lead us to the World Cup (also, remember he did turn down the opportunity to lead a fairly decent Nigeria squad at the World Cup and turned it down) and I think with the current momentum and sense of stability that he is the man for the job.

Some say the style of football is poor - fair enough, but it is getting results for the most part. Second half in Macedonia was awful to watch but boy I celebrated the result that night.!

In my opinion, Trap did everything he could to get us to the WC last year, only for certain events in Paris to deny us.When the World Cup draw is made next month, I'm confident that we are the third seed team that everybody would prefer to avoid.

We have made major progress since the basket case regime that was the Staunton era. Kerr's tenure was less traumatic but largely unsuccessful. Trap is taking us in the right direction and that is clear to see. I'd give him the contract he wants in the morning, although he and Tardelli have to appreciate that the FAI are cash-strapped and €2 million-odd a year isn't a runner this time round. I doubt this would be a major hurdle during negotiations however.

Trap In! :cool:

tetsujin1979
13/06/2011, 11:18 AM
I'd hope that the FAI will have learned from giving Mick McCarthy an extension to his contract before the 2002 world cup (or was it a new contract? can't remember)
If we do qualify, then extend Trapattoni's contract to Euro 2012, and then offer a new contract based on the performance at the finals.

Stuttgart88
13/06/2011, 11:23 AM
No contracts should be awarded until the end of the campaign. Only then should the merits or otherwise of continuing with Trap be considered.

I'm more in favour than against, at this point in time. A while back I said I was 60/40 in favour. I'm more like 70/30 now. 10 points from 12 will probably increase my approval rating further, regardless of whether it's enough to get us to the Euros.

Salary should be €400k or thereabouts, plus a €2 million qualification bonus for WC14. That's plenty of incentive, and the guy doesn't need the money in the meantime.

Just for the record, I think many of the old criticisms of "lazy, conservative Trap" don't hold much water anymore.

He clearly knows the pool of players available to him (Hoolahan is the only realistic gripe perhaps)
He has called up many new players in the last 12 months
We now have credible options in most positions

Other stuff like the style of play is potentially worthy of criticism, but if results justify the means, that's fine by me. We'll know this by year-end.

Communication has been poor, but I think he's handled the "no shows" quite well and maybe James McCarthy has been more to blame all along than we thought a few months ago.

Scooby Doo
13/06/2011, 11:32 AM
I'd hope that the FAI will have learned from giving Mick McCarthy an extension to his contract before the 2002 world cup (or was it a new contract? can't remember)
If we do qualify, then extend Trapattoni's contract to Euro 2012, and then offer a new contract based on the performance at the finals.
Ireland's performance during the qualifying campaign and playoffs (and, subsequently in the finals) merited McCarthy getting a new/extended contract. It was the unprecedented debacle in Saipan that led to McCarthy's demise. The way he was treated by some quarters in Autumn '02 was disgraceful and contributed greatly to the dip in team morale and confidence, and subsequently the two defeats that spelled his end, I believe. However, the chances of similar events occuring again are highly unlikely. Mick being awarded an extension prior to the WC was absolutely the right thing to do.

Crosby87
13/06/2011, 11:43 AM
Why would they want to extend him before seeing if they make it to the Euro's? Even if we lose in a playoff again no one will really want him to stay as manager. Or maybe some people will. But he would be out.

Lets see how this News Of The World stuff plays out too.

Cymro
13/06/2011, 1:31 PM
Sounds quite a lot like Capello, Italian manager gets a run of results, asks for a new deal, British/Irish FA offers new contract. Results start to go pear-shaped? Don't know, but if I was in charge of managers' contracts at the FAI I would wait until after the qualification campaign to reward him with a new deal.

That said, I do think Trappatoni is doing an excellent job for the Republic, and look on enviously at the way he has made you difficult to beat. If he gets you to the European Championships you'd be mad to get rid of him irrespective of whether the football is pretty. We've had six years of pretty football under Toshack, Flynn and now apparently Speed, but it just hasn't brought results.

dotts101
13/06/2011, 5:48 PM
dont renew unless were through,

yes he has brought a discipline to the team but results are the end game. we are a team capable of qualifying so why reward failure. he imitates offers elsewhere, what the worst if he goes the squad will stay the same despite a few retirements (hurry up kilbane). Tardelli will come in and probably be cheaper and same ethics and team method. if not hughton ainta bad manager, done very well for kerr who just made bad decisions( rely on gary doherty).

Stuttgart88
13/06/2011, 6:19 PM
Was Hughton not complicit in making those bad decisions? His ear was never far from Kerr's mouth on the touchline.

We never "relied" on Gary Doherty, did we? We used him as a last resort many times. He came good in Georgia.

the bear
13/06/2011, 6:22 PM
dont renew unless were through,

dead right anything other than qualificain from this group cannot be deemed a success

elroy
13/06/2011, 8:14 PM
Sounds quite a lot like Capello, Italian manager gets a run of results, asks for a new deal, British/Irish FA offers new contract. Results start to go pear-shaped? Don't know, but if I was in charge of managers' contracts at the FAI I would wait until after the qualification campaign to reward him with a new deal.

That said, I do think Trappatoni is doing an excellent job for the Republic, and look on enviously at the way he has made you difficult to beat. If he gets you to the European Championships you'd be mad to get rid of him irrespective of whether the football is pretty. We've had six years of pretty football under Toshack, Flynn and now apparently Speed, but it just hasn't brought results.

Cheers Cymro, always good to get an outside perspective. Hard to disagree with any of the above.

French Toasht
13/06/2011, 9:42 PM
I think things may become a lot clearer after July 30th. The WC draw will have a huge influence. If we draw Spain and France, Trap may well cool on contract talks and may start to court interest from other prospective employers.

I, like others, am of the opinion that we should wait till the end of the campaign before making any decision but differ in the criteria on which he should be offered a new contract. It has been mentioned if we qualify, his contract should be merely extended for 9 months until Euro 2012 and then assessed again after that. I disagree. If we qualify, I think he should be given the backing of the FAI for the next two years, irrespective of what may follow at the Euros. Considering we would almost certainly be 4th seeds at the Euros, he should not be judged on that premise, but rather rewarded on getting us there.

I also think the contract being/not being awarded solely on the basis of qualification is arbitrary. I think there should be an objective assessment at the end of the campaign, taking into account: points tally, playoff outcome (if arises) and most importantly if we decide to let Trap go, the FAI must have a credible and attainable candidate in their mind, that will be better than what we have now.

It's that final criteria that I worry about. Last time the names of people actually putting their name forward (as opposed to names approached), was pathetic. Arie Haan, Howard Kendall, Phillipe Trousier and the rest of international management merry-go round. I think people should be very wary of the fact that the grass will not always be greener on the other side.

AlaskaFox
14/06/2011, 9:19 AM
I'd give him a new 2 year contract now. We've been lacking international stability in recent years, and replacing your manager every (other) campaign helps nobody. The squad have really bonded under Trap, and know exactly what's expected. Sure, he's made mistakes, but he's tried to overcome them (like having Manuela actually do her job instead of him making easily-misconstrued statements when speaking in English). Most importantly though, he's got the best out of some average players. Everyone talks about the great squad depth we have now, but we probably always had it to a similar level, it's just nobody else could get the backups to do so well. Trap can. He's a superb manager, and if we got rid of him, who could we get? Some washed-up no hoper whose last job was managing Tunisia?

Stuttgart88
14/06/2011, 9:37 AM
Just as an aside, ESPN Class showed a re-run of the 1970 WC Final last week. When Italy lost the ball everyone just ran back, formed two lines across the pitch and let Brazil do what they wanted as long as it was no less than 30 yards from goal. It was quite funny actually, especially having just watched Ireland do it to Italy.

I stopped watching when it was still 0-0. Who won anyway? :)

dotts101
14/06/2011, 9:52 AM
Tardelli, would take over and continue what Trap is doing and probably at a cheaper rate. Im not saying im against a renewal for Trap, he is doing a good job considering our resources and his refusal to but some half rate players in the squad(keogh, mcshane and kilbane(loyalty only) to name but a few). he does have them play for the jersey and taht is what you want. but what is it he doing that tardelli wont be able to continue, should he leave for more money.

As for my gary doherty comment, we often would start him in games, yes effective for final 10minutes when reverting to route 1, but he was awkward on the ball and often that was the only plan b, yes a hero in georgia but really should he of gained 33caps?

Hughton is a good coach and yes complicit but he has grown as a manager now and can set up a team with discipline.

jbyrne
14/06/2011, 11:34 AM
what the worst if he goes the squad will stay the same despite a few retirements (hurry up kilbane)

some half rate players in the squad... and kilbane(loyalty only)

yes, because we have so much strength in depth we can do without a left back of his experience. 110 caps and 66 competitive games in a row and still he is an easy target. when someone proves they can do a better job than him in a competitive match then he can move aside but for now he is an important part of our squad. the only reason he is still involved is loyalty?? give me a break

its only when trap is gone that some will fully appreciate what we have with him in charge

Wolfie
14/06/2011, 1:10 PM
There's at least 2 issues here:

1) Who is the right man for the job
2) The timing of awarding the contract

I think Trapp has proven that he is still the man for the job and past experience should dictate that the awarding of the contract should take place at the end of this campaign with a view to remaining in charge for next world cup.

French Toasht
14/06/2011, 1:27 PM
Tardelli, would take over and continue what Trap is doing and probably at a cheaper rate. Im not saying im against a renewal for Trap, he is doing a good job considering our resources and his refusal to but some half rate players in the squad(keogh, mcshane and kilbane(loyalty only) to name but a few). he does have them play for the jersey and taht is what you want. but what is it he doing that tardelli wont be able to continue, should he leave for more money.

Have you seen Tardelli's managerial track record? The only reason we should be letting Trap go, if thats what it comes to, is to replace him with someone better. Tardelli simply does not fit that job spec. Sammy Lee was assistant during a very successful era at Bolton, but that didn't make him a competant manager.

As for your Kilbane chat ... in my experience, it's only ever the barstoolers that come out with that rubbish.

Stuttgart88
14/06/2011, 3:17 PM
Just for the record, I thanked dotts for responsing directly to my Doherty / Hughton query, rather than leaving it in the ether like many have done when I have previously queried Hughton's compliance / complicity with Kerr's decisions. I am a huge admirer of Kilbane, and don't agree one jot with dotts' sentiments on that front.

dotts101
14/06/2011, 3:23 PM
not a barstooler at every home game except maybe a handful for the last 15years. stephen ward is viable left back option constant with wolves, greg cunnigham decent for future unlucky injury. john o shea can play there and open up rite full for coleman. ciaran clark done good job against wales i think it was albeit wales are very poor.

i applaud the work and service of kilbane but he is playing for huddersfield, he arguably cost us qualification against bulgaria home and away. he isnt as strong as used to be, only way of having a replacement is by giving him a chance.

fair point on tardelli, i presume he just carry on the ideals of trap. who else is there then to replace, o leary? john sheridan? remember mccarthy came from millwall and did good job. not saying give it to him but who else?

Stuttgart88
14/06/2011, 3:30 PM
Ward has belatedly got his chance and Trap was quick to give Cunningham his chance too, but he broke his leg. Clark was good against Wales but was really shakey against Uruguay(?). I think Delaney did well enough at LB a few years ago to stay in the squad. Maybe Ward could have got his chance 6-9 months ago, but it's a marginal call. KK is doing OK, not great but not terrible either. I trust Trap's judgment.

When the alternatives are considered, I'd give Trap the contract now! McCarthy took time - 6 games before a win I think. It was quite a few games before we even scored I think (2-2 Croatia?). We can't afford to give another up and coming manager the same kind of flexibility.

jbyrne
14/06/2011, 3:50 PM
i applaud the work and service of kilbane but he is playing for huddersfield, he arguably cost us qualification against bulgaria home and away.

we finished 6 points behind Italy so even IF we had beaten bulgaria home and away we would still have missed out on automatic qualification. shay given was at fault for one of Italys goals, for example, at home..... should he be replaced as you could argue that cost us more than not beating bulgaria? i am sure there were many chances missed, errors for goals etc from other players. we cant replace the whole team but do have to go with the most reliable we have. for now kk fits that mould

Fixer82
14/06/2011, 4:01 PM
we finished 6 points behind Italy so even IF we had beaten bulgaria home and away we would still have missed out on automatic qualification. shay given was at fault for one of Italys goals, for example, at home..... should he be replaced as you could argue that cost us more than not beating bulgaria? i am sure there were many chances missed, errors for goals etc from other players. we cant replace the whole team but do have to go with the most reliable we have. for now kk fits that mould

Wasn't Shay's fault at all. It was John O'Shea who lost the ball high up the pitch and that resulted in Italy's quick counter attack

Noelys Guitar
14/06/2011, 4:08 PM
I would wait as long as possible in rewarding a new contract. We all know things can change rapidly. Of course Trap (or his advisors) could call the FAI's bluff by saying a.n.other country has offered Trap a contract to 2014. Now that would be tricky. Lets hope we get through the summer and the autumn results make it immaterial.

jbyrne
14/06/2011, 4:51 PM
Wasn't Shay's fault at all. It was John O'Shea who lost the ball high up the pitch and that resulted in Italy's quick counter attack

was talking about the first goal. beaten poorly at near post from a corner

paul_oshea
14/06/2011, 5:32 PM
I think where we are now with Trap, is pretty much where we ended up with kerr. Just never doing enough to qualify.

If we come away as stutts says with 10 from 12 then I do think that is the approaching the next level. If we come away with 12 from 12 in the next 3 then i think we have reached that level, we will qualify for Euro 2012, and then he should be extended.

French Toasht
14/06/2011, 5:43 PM
So you are saying unless we get 12 from 12 Trap should be shown the door?

Considering only 3 managers have taken 3 points from Moscow in the last 66 years, don't you think that threshold is a bit high?

I think we should wait till the end of the campaign before making any decision but considering the calibre of candidate that have applied for the Irish managers position in the last 10 years, I can only envisage that the next manager to take the reigns with Ireland, whenever that is, will constitute a step backwards.

paul_oshea
14/06/2011, 5:45 PM
Thats not what I said at all.

CraftyToePoke
14/06/2011, 7:18 PM
I will admit I have come around to Traps ways in recent times and the most recent set of results achieved with such a depleted squad shows a depth growing in the squad, and a spirit too, which hasnt always been there in my time following the side. There also is growing credible competition for places throughout, with the players more and more earning their living at decent levels of football. I also will admit being wrong by the looks of it in the McCarthy saga.

Important for me as well is the recruiting of eligible players, I am for it but I am also glad if Nobles reputed demand for an assurence of starts, for example, resulted in him being passed over is true, even though we could have done with him in simple playing terms perhaps.

I would like to see him stay, I would like the FAI to make it clear they want him to and although not qualifying would be a blow, as it is a navigable group, I dont think it should define him, a nice side is emerging and in a couple of years should Myler and a few more flourish it could be a good era.

Also, as someone else said, we can score now when we need to in most cases and the managerial options out there would suggest we would be better off holding what we have.

tetsujin1979
14/06/2011, 9:23 PM
I think where we are now with Trap, is pretty much where we ended up with kerr. Just never doing enough to qualify.

If we come away as stutts says with 10 from 12 then I do think that is the approaching the next level. If we come away with 12 from 12 in the next 3 then i think we have reached that level, we will qualify for Euro 2012, and then he should be extended.
that's a bit much, Kerr never got to a play off and (IMO) experimented even less with the squad than Trapattoni

SwanVsDalton
14/06/2011, 9:52 PM
I couldn't see us getting wins in Armenia or Macedonia quite as confidently under Kerr either. And doesn't look like Trap's going to replicate the fairly disastrous fourth place finish in the 2006 WC quals.

French Toasht
14/06/2011, 10:39 PM
And doesn't look like Trap's going to replicate the fairly disastrous fourth place finish in the 2006 WC quals.

Thats a bit harsh on Kerr there and I will defend him on that one. We may have finished 4th in that group but we obtained 17 points (which in some of the groups would have been enough to secure a playoff), finished 3 points off top spot and we would have gone through the campaign unbeaten had it not been for a moment of Thierry Henry brilliance. We played the French off the park in Paris and had O'Shea converted that sitter, things could have been so different. I think Kerr did get a raw deal and it must be remembered that a month before he was sacked, we were 14th in the world in the FIFA rankings. The fact that Delaney was never in favour of his appointment from the off, meant that his days were numbered right from the start.

SwanVsDalton
14/06/2011, 10:48 PM
Thats a bit harsh on Kerr there and I will defend him on that one. We may have finished 4th in that group but we obtained 17 points (which in some of the groups would have been enough to secure a playoff), finished 3 points off top spot and we would have gone through the campaign unbeaten had it not been for a moment of Thierry Henry brilliance. We played the French off the park in Paris and had O'Shea converted that sitter, things could have been so different. I think Kerr did get a raw deal and it must be remembered that a month before he was sacked, we were 14th in the world in the FIFA rankings. The fact that Delaney was never in favour of his appointment from the off, meant that his days were numbered right from the start.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Kerr hater. But a fourth place finish was a poor showing regardless of points accrued. We let too many points slip by and his absolute refusal to go for broke, even when desperately needing a win at home against the Swiss, was the last straw. He got the rough end and the side were a little unlucky but he didn't do himself many favours either. Particularly in comparison to Trap IMO.

geysir
14/06/2011, 11:30 PM
If we come away with 12 from 12 in the next 3 then i think we have reached that level, we will qualify for Euro 2012, and then he should be extended.

12 points in the next 3 games?
You're a cheeky lad raising the bar to such impossible heights, no wonder we can never be good enough for your standards :)

Stuttgart88
14/06/2011, 11:35 PM
Fair point French Toasht.

However, does anyone here think that with a must win away game against Switzerland, or a must win home game against Switzerland, a Trap-managed team would have gone out with such a whimper as we did twice under Kerr?

French Toasht
14/06/2011, 11:58 PM
Fair point French Toasht.

However, does anyone here think that with a must win away game against Switzerland, or a must win home game against Switzerland, a Trap-managed team would have gone out with such a whimper as we did twice under Kerr?

In short, no. I think Trap is a better manager than Kerr and I think the two Swiss games mentioned were low points, but I still think Kerr got a raw deal. For example McCarthy's first campaign for Ireland involved the debacles against Macedonia, Iceland and Lithuania and in his second campaign things began to fall apart in the second half of the campaign in Malta, Croatia and Macedonia. Compared with Kerr's campaign and a half, McCarthy was extremely lucky to have got a third campaign.

Trap doesn't have the same ability in terms of players as either of those managers, and many of his notable players are in the winters of their careers, yet through organisation, dedication and honesty of effort, he has the team playing really well and should be commended for that.

CraftyToePoke
15/06/2011, 12:19 AM
Trap doesn't have the same ability in terms of players as either of those managers, and many of his notable players are in the winters of their careers, yet through organisation, dedication and honesty of effort, he has the team playing really well and should be commended for that.

I dont know about that, I agree there isnt a Roy Keane figure, a player of real world stature at Traps disposal, but overall I think there is a bit more quality overall through the squad, more competition for spots. I recall watching games in the Kerr and McCarthy era's, often remarking the answer had to come from the starting eleven as there wasnt a game changer or impact player on the bench. I think these days we have a little bit more all round.

geysir
15/06/2011, 1:33 PM
I dont know about that, I agree there isnt a Roy Keane figure, a player of real world stature at Traps disposal, but overall I think there is a bit more quality overall through the squad, more competition for spots. I recall watching games in the Kerr and McCarthy era's, often remarking the answer had to come from the starting eleven as there wasnt a game changer or impact player on the bench. I think these days we have a little bit more all round.
A "little bit more" is an understatement, although allowing for Roy K being worth our entire current cm package, our squad depth elsewhere has increased by leaps and bounds.

dotts101
15/06/2011, 3:59 PM
A "little bit more" is an understatement, although allowing for Roy K being worth our entire current cm package, our squad depth elsewhere has increased by leaps and bounds.

on a serious note, that mans name should no longer be associated with the word brilliance.

DannyInvincible
15/06/2011, 6:40 PM
on a serious note, that mans name should no longer be associated with the word brilliance.

What man's name?

dotts101
16/06/2011, 10:36 AM
some french #@#@@~,

just realised my whole comment didnt appear in my previous post. , i was stating how the group was lost against israel, the debacle in tel aviv and abas suan, 2minutes and we would of won, and at landsdowne up by 2 and allow their cheating back into the game, their keeper should of won an oscar for his performance and getting doherty or cunnigham sent off????

Macy
16/06/2011, 10:55 AM
If Ireland had gone straight from Kerr to Trap, I don't think there would be too many complaints. The problem was that Kerr was screwed over to give Staunton the job. Delaney's logic for sacking Kerr was to get a "world class" manager in ffs. And fook the senior players who didn't like the professional approach of Kerr too - it was "not fun anymore" - give me a feckin break.

tetsujin1979
16/06/2011, 10:59 AM
some french #@#@@~,

just realised my whole comment didnt appear in my previous post. , i was stating how the group was lost against israel, the debacle in tel aviv and abas suan, 2minutes and we would of won, and at landsdowne up by 2 and allow their cheating back into the game, their keeper should of won an oscar for his performance and getting doherty or cunnigham sent off????
neither, it was Andy O'Brien. The appeal was rejected and he has was suspended for the following game, away to the Faroes

jbyrne
16/06/2011, 11:23 AM
We never "relied" on Gary Doherty, did we? We used him as a last resort many times. He came good in Georgia.

and albania at home when he scored in the last seconds in a 2-1 win

Was Hughton not complicit in making those bad decisions? His ear was never far from Kerr's mouth

never been gone as hughton as a manager really. would be hugely disappointed if he was the next Ireland manager.

things could have fallen much better for kerr quite easily and qualification for the WC 2006 playoffs at least was very close.. duff hitting the crossbar just after israel equalised away (dont think it was ever shown on tv for some reason but i was behind the goal), losing a 2 goal lead to israel at home (the daft red card, gk shananigans, wasnt the first Israel goal a deflection?), osheas miss v france, ian hartes sitter missed against the swiss in the last match. if any of those games finished with a win to us we would have been in play off at least. all very borderline

SwanVsDalton
16/06/2011, 11:29 AM
and albania at home when he scored in the last seconds in a 2-1 win

never been gone as hughton as a manager really. would be hugely disappointed if he was the next Ireland manager.

things could have fallen much better for kerr quite easily and qualification for the WC 2006 playoffs at least was very close.. duff hitting the crossbar just after israel equalised away (dont think it was ever shown on tv for some reason but i was behind the goal), losing a 2 goal lead to israel at home (the daft red card, gk shananigans, wasnt the first Israel goal a deflection?), osheas miss v france, ian hartes sitter missed against the swiss in the last match. if any of those games finished with a win to us we would have been in play off at least. all very borderline

It all went against us though. That's more than bad luck - in at least a few of those situations, we had to make our own luck.

Stuttgart88
16/06/2011, 11:51 AM
I saw the shot that hit the bar that you're referring to. Wasn't it a bit of a feeble lobbed typed effort that was never really going in?

Israel away was a bit like Macedonia. We had ridden our luck and seemed to be out of the woods. Then, in the blink of an eye...

The first Israel goal in Dublin was a looping header from outside the box after a soft free conceded by Holland, I think.

We were freakishly unlucky against Israel at home, but Albania at home was won by a very late OG, with Doherty in proximity. That was a bit of luck in our favour. At the time the hapless Irish media were calling Kerr a "miracle worker" for getting a win in Georgia, and 4 points from Albania. A year later he was a villain. He should never have been called either.

jbyrne
16/06/2011, 12:01 PM
I saw the shot that hit the bar that you're referring to. Wasn't it a bit of a feeble lobbed typed effort that was never really going in?

kinda, but a few inches lower and it was a 2-1 win

Stuttgart88
16/06/2011, 12:26 PM
A pity we didn't try an attack between the 2nd and 90th minutes!

I agree with you re-Hughton btw. He did a great job getting Newcastle promoted and had a decent start in the EPL, but I'm not convinced by him either. I'm not sure he has the gravitas required to get certain types of players to play for him. The jury is still out, for me.

paul_oshea
16/06/2011, 12:52 PM

Israel away was a bit like Macedonia. We had ridden our luck and seemed to be out of the woods. Then, in the blink of an eye...

The first Israel goal in Dublin was a looping header from outside the box after a soft free conceded by Holland, I think.

We were freakishly unlucky against Israel at home, but Albania at home was won by a very late OG, with Doherty in proximity. That was a bit of luck in our favour. At the time the hapless Irish media were calling Kerr a "miracle worker" for getting a win in Georgia, and 4 points from Albania. A year later he was a villain. He should never have been called either.

I thought oshea gave that free away. Thinking to myself at the time what are you doing needless free, but given hit a stupid pass out to him.

We get very few attacks with Trap either once we score, very similar to how Kerr played. Keane was the big surprise in that away game to Israel.

Stuttgart88
16/06/2011, 2:12 PM
O'Shea "gave" the equalising penno away alright, but I thought Given's duff kick led to Matt Holland conceding a foul for the first. It was a poor kick, but it was a madly overhot back pass by Andy O'Brian afair.

With Trap, at least it's how he is setting the team up, unashamedly. Kerr was just too cautious and we weren't as good without the ball as we are under Trap. That's what makes to draw at home to Italy and the draw in Slovakia more frustrating I suppose.