PDA

View Full Version : LOI Newbies

peadar1987
12/06/2011, 7:32 PM
Would it be an idea for clubs to have a section for "first time" supporters, so they'd feel like they have somewhere to go, maybe a couple of supporters club people could go and mingle with them, tell them who the players are, how the team are doing, and the like, make them feel welcome. It's not as if there's a shortage of space in LOI grounds!

Cuyahoga
12/06/2011, 8:08 PM
I would suggest that a free programme be given to newbies. The players names will be on it and a league table. If more clubs had squad numbers players could be spotted easier by those who are unfamilliar. I'm not sure a specific section is neccesary, people might feel uncomfortable there. Football is a simple game it can be understood easily whereas something like horse racing is different whereby first timers might need to be shown how to put a bet on etc. In principle its a good idea though.

peadar1987
12/06/2011, 8:20 PM
I would suggest that a free programme be given to newbies. The players names will be on it and a league table. If more clubs had squad numbers players could be spotted easier by those who are unfamilliar. I'm not sure a specific section is neccesary, people might feel uncomfortable there. Football is a simple game it can be understood easily whereas something like horse racing is different whereby first timers might need to be shown how to put a bet on etc. In principle its a good idea though.

Yeah, not sure why more clubs don't use squad numbers, because they do make things a lot easier. Before my first Bray game I actually studied like it was a test, so I'd know who the players were! And I'm still absolutely crap on opposition players.

DannyInvincible
12/06/2011, 9:47 PM
To be honest, the idea of segregating "newbies", with their own overseers and everything, sounds slightly patronising to me. When can they divest themselves of this status? End-of-season exams on club facts?

And I'd imagine it's more costly for clubs to designate squad numbers rather than dish out generic squad jerseys numbered from 1 to 16 or whatever every week. Every penny counts in this game.

peadar1987
12/06/2011, 9:58 PM
To be honest, the idea of segregating "newbies", with their own overseers and everything, sounds slightly patronising to me. When can they divest themselves of this status? End-of-season exams on club facts?

I'd have thought it'd be whenever they felt like it. It'd be more of an optional place you could go if you were new to watching the club and wanted to ease yourself in gently, not somewhere the club would corral anyone who can't name the starting XI from that tricky away trip to Newcastlewest in 1988.

And I'd imagine it's more costly for clubs to designate squad numbers rather than dish out generic squad jerseys numbered from 1 to 16 or whatever every week. Every penny counts in this game.

You're probably right. It'd still be something that could help, and probably wouldn't cost much more, if anything, if the club only assigned proper squad numbers to the first, say, 20 people, and then had maybe 5 more shirts just on rotation in case any new players were called up.

sheao
12/06/2011, 10:36 PM
City have a family enclousure in the donie forde stand. The people involved in it do a fantastic amount of work , especially on matchnights to make the City experience
Many parents bring their kids here to sample their first live game of football at the cross in a friendly and enjoyable atmosphere.

PartySaint
13/06/2011, 2:41 AM
Terrible idea, It's not like when you stand in a certain section of the ground people start asking you random question to see how long you have supported the club, It doesn't matter weather it's your first game or 500 game, no one cares

osarusan
13/06/2011, 8:55 AM
It's not like when you stand in a certain section of the ground people start asking you random question to see how long you have supported the club, It doesn't matter weather it's your first game or 500 game, no one cares

Agree with this. I've never seen (and can't even begin to imagine) a first-time visitor to a LOI ground getting any kind of hassle from anybody because they were new. Even with Limerick's low crowd numbers, I'd have no clue whether most of those in attendance were there for the first time or were seasoned veterans. And even if I did know, I wouldn't care.

redobit
13/06/2011, 8:55 AM
New fans feel detached enough without puting them by themselves.

A mate of mine was talking about going to games a few years back and as he's a football fan I would keep at him to go. He would always say that one thing that really put him off is that he wont know any of the players names. So I told him buy a programme and try and pick out players names from it, which he did. Cant keep him out of the place now.

As someone has said, squad numbers are a great idea. People can get to know players fairly quick and it makes them connect a bit more to a team. A free programme as someone has said would def help.

Dodge
13/06/2011, 9:21 AM
I'd have no clue whether most of those in attendance were there for the first time or were seasoned veterans

Generally, newbies are shocked at refereeing decisions*, regular fans are angry, and seasoned veterans just sigh

For refereeing decisions you can read performances/level of football/managerial idiocy/weather/state of hot food/toilets/lack of respect from own team depending on who you follow

outspoken
13/06/2011, 12:53 PM
It sounds like a great idea, apart from the segregating thing but everything else sounds like a good idea, the free program would be great for new comers only thing is how do the club know there a newbie? you could have people getting programs every week for nothing. Limerick where playing us on Saturday and they had squad numbers and names on the Jersey and while I'm good with names I know people who have been going for years and dont know our own players names never mind the opposition so it would be a win win situation and it makes us look that little bit more professional too, It could also help clubs make a little bit of money as you could sell your jerseys with star players names on them for a bit extra, i thought we should have done that with Gillespie but just an idea.