PDA

View Full Version : Limerick Junior Soccer Has Changed Forever........

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Bonovox
11/06/2011, 11:14 PM
The LDMC AGM took place at the Kilmurry Lodge Hotel on Friday night last June 10th and a hugely significant rule change took place that will have major implications for Junior soccer in Limerick. The Aisling Annacotty motion that any junior team can field only 4 ex League of Ireland players from season 2011/2012 onwards was carried by a large majority. It is open ended and without exceptions. It covers any junior player who has ever played League of Ireland football from first team, all the way down to A level and Under 19's. It will be a nightmare to police it and when the dust settles, clubs might just realise the ramifications of their actions. The Premier League should become more competitive over the coming years but the powers that be will be rubbing their hands across the country as we have in all probability signed away our chances of future national honours. For example there are literally dozens of young players coming out of youth football who have played or had a taste of Under 19 football with Limerick. They are now classed as ex League of Ireland players and will continue to be classed as such for the remainder of their careers.

Let the debate begin....

Jofspring
11/06/2011, 11:30 PM
I think that rule is a joke. Players should have had to have played a certain amount of LOI games (maybe a full season or two) for this to affect them. To have the rule so black and white is a disgrace and will cause more hassle and confusion. A lot of players try LOI and aren't up to it or can't commit to it. To then deny them signing for certain clubs is a joke. The under age and A is especially disgraceful. Not all U19 and A players will step up to LOI. Straight away that means Pike can't sign certain players, the same goes for a lot of other clubs, even 1A clubs that have players that as young fellas might have played LOI or underage.

This is going to drive a lot of players out to teams from outside Limerick.

booster 03
12/06/2011, 8:20 AM
The LDMC AGM took place at the Kilmurry Lodge Hotel on Friday night last June 10th and a hugely significant rule change took place that will have major implications for Junior soccer in Limerick. The Aisling Annacotty motion that any junior team can field only 4 ex League of Ireland players from season 2011/2012 onwards was carried by a large majority. It is open ended and without exceptions. It covers any junior player who has ever played League of Ireland football from first team, all the way down to A level and Under 19's. It will be a nightmare to police it and when the dust settles, clubs might just realise the ramifications of their actions. The Premier League should become more competitive over the coming years but the powers that be will be rubbing their hands across the country as we have in all probability signed away our chances of future national honours. For example there are literally dozens of young players coming out of youth football who have played or had a taste of Under 19 football with Limerick. They are now classed as ex League of Ireland players and will continue to be classed as such for the remainder of their careers.

Let the debate begin....

Crazy, I can see them going back to this to clear it up somebit... Its crazy, just wont work, Look at pikes current squad,hartnet, Barry, Enright, Cleary, Ryan, Tierney etc... can Pike only sign 4 of these??? Fairview have Chuka, kelliher, colm Scanlon, Grant, Heffernan, etc, can they only sign 4 of these?? It'l turn into a draft situation like in the states, sounds like a very rash decision imo. Something needed to be done to strenghten the league but this is just daft!! It wont encourage players to spread out to other clubs, it'l hinder lads with potential making the step up to senior soccer.

rooney10
12/06/2011, 8:53 AM
if this was loi only i would be all for it...but the A level and 19s rule is a complete joke,il have my doubts about this!!!if it does happen we can forget about winning fai and munster junior cups for a long time..

Bonovox
12/06/2011, 9:02 AM
Crazy, I can see them going back to this to clear it up somebit... Its crazy, just wont work, Look at pikes current squad,hartnet, Barry, Enright, Cleary, Ryan, Tierney etc... can Pike only sign 4 of these??? Fairview have Chuka, kelliher, colm Scanlon, Grant, Heffernan, etc, can they only sign 4 of these?? It'l turn into a draft situation like in the states, sounds like a very rash decision imo. Something needed to be done to strenghten the league but this is just daft!! It wont encourage players to spread out to other clubs, it'l hinder lads with potential making the step up to senior soccer.

Booster - just to clarify the rule as it stands at the moment - any club can sign as many ex LOI players as they wish but they can only play 4 of them at any one time.

Monster
12/06/2011, 9:27 AM
Including former A and U-21 players is ridiculous and is gonna cause a lot of headaches.I would have been all for the rule if it had applied to players who played league of Ireland at senior level as the league has become a joke lately.They will have to go back and look at the rule and possibly refine it but it is the LDMC we are talking about!

barryk
12/06/2011, 10:23 AM
No its' not the LDMC. It's your club and my club and the majority of clubs in town who passed this. The LDMC have to implement it.
As far as I know only Pike, Regional, Boro, Caherdavin, Hyde and St Pauls voted against it.
For God sake even Fairview voted for it.
The FAI will be delighted to keep Junior Cup away from Limerick.
Brought in to stop Pike, Fairview, etc from snapping up the best in town.
What Aisling etc do not realise is that Pike etc will now go after non LOI players and it may come back to bite them in the aas.

mulla
12/06/2011, 10:39 AM
No its' not the LDMC. It's your club and my club and the majority of clubs in town who passed this. The LDMC have to implement it.
As far as I know only Pike, Regional, Boro, Caherdavin, Hyde and St Pauls voted against it.
For God sake even Fairview voted for it.
The FAI will be delighted to keep Junior Cup away from Limerick.
Brought in to stop Pike, Fairview, etc from snapping up the best in town.
What Aisling etc do not realise is that Pike etc will now go after non LOI players and it may come back to bite them in the aas.

does this mean that in the future teams will try snap up younger player the minute they come out of the minor grade so as to stop them going to LOI? if so serious implications for Limerick FC too?

wanderer
12/06/2011, 10:46 AM
This rule is crazy. It means goodbye to mjc and fais and hello to lots of costly objections

lfc at heart
12/06/2011, 11:12 AM
is this just a rule in Limerick district league or is it in every district league

mulla
12/06/2011, 11:25 AM
This rule is crazy. It means goodbye to mjc and fais and hello to lots of costly objections

so you can only win these things with ex loi players?

Bonovox
12/06/2011, 11:34 AM

Lads, I stand to be corrected on this one but it is a local rule only and as far as I'm concerned it will not have any bearing on the FAI Junior Cup rules of MJC rules. An existing FAI rule cannot be changed, only at an FAI AGM.

blinkx
12/06/2011, 12:23 PM
It only applies for Limeick District Games. Not FAI Games. Not MJC games.

So you can have as many LOI players (Registered correctly of course) as you want playing FAI and MJC games.

Shows how much of a joke the LDMC are that the proposal was even entertained. And from my knowledge don't Aisling have a tie in with Limerick FC, fairly sure they've got more than 4 ex LOI(As mentioned below) floating around.

If player A plays 1 game for Limerick FC U-19's/A Team/ Senior Team at the age of say 18. And then immediately rejoins his local Junior team. 15 years later playing only junior he will still be classed as a LOI player. Disgrace.

Also quick question. If your son plays for Limerick FC underage. Their U-6/7/8/9/10/11's programme's, is he classed as Ex Loi if the comments above are anything to go by??

Jofspring
12/06/2011, 12:32 PM
At the end of the day it seems like another rash rule change without taking everything into consideration. Even if its just for local league games it means certain players might only play a few games before the FAI ones come around.

wanderer
12/06/2011, 1:53 PM
yes look at past winners

Bonovox
12/06/2011, 1:54 PM
It only applies for Limeick District Games. Not FAI Games. Not MJC games.

So you can have as many LOI players (Registered correctly of course) as you want playing FAI and MJC games.

Shows how much of a joke the LDMC are that the proposal was even entertained. And from my knowledge don't Aisling have a tie in with Limerick FC, fairly sure they've got more than 4 ex LOI(As mentioned below) floating around.

If player A plays 1 game for Limerick FC U-19's/A Team/ Senior Team at the age of say 18. And then immediately rejoins his local Junior team. 15 years later playing only junior he will still be classed as a LOI player. Disgrace.

Also quick question. If your son plays for Limerick FC underage. Their U-6/7/8/9/10/11's programme's, is he classed as Ex Loi if the comments above are anything to go by??

Blinkx - LDMC had no say in the matter. Aisling submitted a rule change and they were asked by LDMC to tighten up the words of it as it was too loose and come back to next years AGM. Aisling decided to let it run, which is their right and then it was up to the clubs to accept or reject it. The clubs passed it by a huge majority. LDMC cannot decide which rule changes that they entertain unless they contravene an FAI rule - it is a democracy and the clubs have voted this one in, rightly or wrongly it has to be respected until such time as it is changed back. I think that will be sooner rather than later but it will have to be at a special EGM or next years AGM.
Under 6's/7's/8's etc don't play LOI football, they play schoolboy football under the auspices of LDSL. Does it matter that they are affiliated to a LOI club? Not at all.

Jofspring
12/06/2011, 2:00 PM
It does seem like it could bite a few clubs on the ass. As said it will just mean the likes of Pike and Fairview will start looking at other teams around the league for players instead of ex-LOI players and don't you know people will be complaining about that also. Hopefully it gets cleared up a bit more before the league starts.

reddevil10
12/06/2011, 2:08 PM
Does anyone know if the LDMC decided to introduced a 19's league at the AGM friday night for the coming season?

nononsense
12/06/2011, 2:14 PM
If it was passed by a ''huge'' majority doesn't it appear its what the clubs want? Would I be correct in saying the strength of Pike Rovers, with so many ex loi players, instigated this ruling? Do the clubs see Pike (and perhaps Fairview), with their resources, dominate Limerick Junior Football for the foreseeable future and all other clubs want to prevent that happening? Perhaps they feel this rule makes it a level playing field for everyone? I may be wrong but i think I heard the new Munster Junior Cup for league winners has a similar rule.

theboywonder8
12/06/2011, 4:20 PM
This rule will not go through,and aishling needn't worry bout their players being poached because their harmless

mulla
12/06/2011, 4:51 PM
If it was passed by a ''huge'' majority doesn't it appear its what the clubs want? Would I be correct in saying the strength of Pike Rovers, with so many ex loi players, instigated this ruling? Do the clubs see Pike (and perhaps Fairview), with their resources, dominate Limerick Junior Football for the foreseeable future and all other clubs want to prevent that happening? Perhaps they feel this rule makes it a level playing field for everyone? I may be wrong but i think I heard the new Munster Junior Cup for league winners has a similar rule.

i would think the reasoning is is to make the premier division more competitve which may be not a bad thing, maybe winning the likes of the FAI and MJC will be beyond Limerick teams from now on but isn't that the same as the premier league up until now for certain teams.

Jofspring
12/06/2011, 4:57 PM
Its understandable why it was done but U19 and A should not be included.

Fairkop
12/06/2011, 5:16 PM
dont think the clubs have thought this one through,however one can also see why they have voted for it.no doubt pikes dominance of soccer especially locally and the resources they have put in to assembling their squad has forced many clubs to review the situation,but as a result of this change many players,and they are the important people in all of this ,will have no rights at all.

mulla
12/06/2011, 5:18 PM
Its understandable why it was done but U19 and A should not be included.

agree totally, also some more changes like if you haven't played LOI in say 5 years

mulla
12/06/2011, 5:22 PM
dont think the clubs have thought this one through,however one can also see why they have voted for it.no doubt pikes dominance of soccer especially locally and the resources they have put in to assembling their squad has forced many clubs to review the situation,but as a result of this change many players,and they are the important people in all of this ,will have no rights at all.

of cousre they will still have there rights, they can sign for who they want and for whatever they want like they have done all along, only difference now is if a team has a lot of ex loi signed they will have to do some juggling with the team

streaker
12/06/2011, 5:23 PM
Beware any club getting out limerick are going to meet an army of l,o,I,and irish internationals,some joke.

mulla
12/06/2011, 5:30 PM
Beware any club getting out limerick are going to meet an army of l,o,I,and irish internationals,some joke.

obviously that will be the case in later stages, is 4 ex-loi not enough to compete?

nononsense
12/06/2011, 6:17 PM
I think players under 21 preserve their junior status until such time as a certain number of LOI games are played in either the Premier or First Division. Also I notice in the Tipperary Southern League rules only 2 ex LOI players are allowed.

Treaty Gooner
12/06/2011, 6:53 PM
If you can sign as many ex-LOI players as you want but can just play 4 in a premier/Lawson/Tuohy,will this really affect the Pikes and Fairviews that much?

In FAI and MJ games they won't have this rule.

By the by,the rule as it has been described here is idiotic, and if anything like it is going to be applied,surely it should only restrict senior LOI players and not u19 or A Championship. It punishes young lads for having any ambition.

lfc at heart
12/06/2011, 7:35 PM
it might even the playing field a bit for the teams that dont have the bobs to pay ex loi players, look if the teams voted it in then they must have wanted it to happen, so lets see how it fairs out during the season, if it doesnt work sure cant it be voted out again,

abbeyvale
12/06/2011, 9:19 PM

Plus Colbert, Considine, Ahern (think Pa Mullins might have played U-19's with UCD also).........you tell me what 5 of the 10 players mentioned will be happy to sit on the bench, on top of that, how are Limerick's best two clubs supposed to get consistancy in their team for MJC & FAI games, when they can't play their strongest team week in week out locally????

How many "Ex LOI" players have other Prem clubs (based on this season's squads).....and what about ex professionals..........are they classed in the same bracket?

allab
12/06/2011, 9:26 PM
Plus Colbert, Considine, Ahern.........you tell me what 5 of the 9 mentioned will be happy to sit on the bench
was mullins with ucd before too?

abbeyvale
12/06/2011, 9:29 PM
was mullins with ucd before too?

was just in the middle of editing it when you posted pal............see above

mulla
12/06/2011, 9:45 PM
Plus Colbert, Considine, Ahern (think Pa Mullins might have played U-19's with UCD also).........you tell me what 5 of the 10 players mentioned will be happy to sit on the bench, on top of that, how are Limerick's best two clubs supposed to get consistancy in their team for MJC & FAI games, when they can't play their strongest team week in week out locally????

How many "Ex LOI" players have other Prem clubs (based on this season's squads).....and what about ex professionals..........are they classed in the same bracket?

I really don't think that the rest of the clubs care wether Pike and view can't field there strongest team every week, its up to all limerick clubs to deal with the new rules and as i have said before if having "only " 4 ex loi makes a weak team then what about the likes of yourselves and others with 1 or 2 at best.

Spindoctor
12/06/2011, 9:50 PM
maybe at next year's LDMC AGM the following motions should be put forward...
1. every club have the right to refuse to play on an artificial surface.
2. if a club's grass surface is not up to standard then they must play all their games away from home.
3. if a club gives a walkover then they will be deducted 20 points or relegated.
how would these motions affect our friends at Ais/Ann who put put forward this bitter and small minded motion to restrict the playing of ex LOI players.

Fairkop
12/06/2011, 9:53 PM
I really don't think that the rest of the clubs care wether Pike and view can't field there strongest team every week, its up to all limerick clubs to deal with the new rules and as i have said before if having "only " 4 ex loi makes a weak team then what about the likes of yourselves and others with 1 or 2 at best.maybe so,but why bring in this rule so?if players are out of the league of ireland for a number of years why are they being penalised for being ex loi players if they wish to pursue or continue playing with a certain club.

mulla
12/06/2011, 10:05 PM
maybe so,but why bring in this rule so?if players are out of the league of ireland for a number of years why are they being penalised for being ex loi players if they wish to pursue or continue playing with a certain club.

reason for bringing in the rule is i assume to make the league more competitive, as i said in an earlier post i think if you are out of LOI a certain ammount of time you should be exempt. also i think that last years players if they choose to stay with the same clubs should also be exempt, however if they choose to move or a club already has 5 or 6 and try to sign more then the rule should come into play. Ther are e few weeks till forms come out so i would think there will be a lot of discussion amongst the LDMC and hopefully they can come to a sensible conclusion. On the face of it though i think it is the right move and if say 10 ex loi choose to sign for lets say Balla then you would really have to question there real motive

nononsense
12/06/2011, 10:28 PM
reason for bringing in the rule is i assume to make the league more competitive, as i said in an earlier post i think if you are out of LOI a certain ammount of time you should be exempt. also i think that last years players if they choose to stay with the same clubs should also be exempt, however if they choose to move or a club already has 5 or 6 and try to sign more then the rule should come into play. Ther are e few weeks till forms come out so i would think there will be a lot of discussion amongst the LDMC and hopefully they can come to a sensible conclusion. On the face of it though i think it is the right move and if say 10 ex loi choose to sign for lets say Balla then you would really have to question there real motive

What do you mean by above. isn't the rule passed now as is by the required majority and therefore cannot be changed until next years AGM or an extraordinary EGM?

lfc at heart
12/06/2011, 11:05 PM
What do you mean by above. isn't the rule passed now as is by the required majority and therefore cannot be changed until next years AGM or an extraordinary EGM?

I think your correct, it was voted on by the clubs and passed, well thats the way im reading it anyway, tbh i think its a fair rule if its implemented properly,

lankyboy26
12/06/2011, 11:12 PM
I really don't see what all the drama is about! It was voted in by our CLUBS, by a majority! The people have spoken! Let's just get on with it, all anybody wants is for a more competitive league to be established, and hopefully the likes of Regional or Carew Park can have a hope of winning the league one day

Spindoctor
13/06/2011, 12:38 AM
I agree that this motion was voted in by the majority,but the majority will never have any of these ex LOI players on their forms.they certainly won't be competing for Premier league honors....
Also the notion that this will make the league more competitive is ridiculous...it will only further weaken the already struggling clubs because the bigger clubs will come looking for the better players from these clubs.
It could possibly weaken clubs like Fairview and Pike who have brought so much success at national and provincial levels and weaken Limericks challenge in these competitions.....is that what we want to see,the FAI junior cup going anywhere but Limerick!!

mulla
13/06/2011, 9:19 AM

iyou are probably right to be honest,but in this town if enough people or the right people kick up a fuss you never know

mulla
13/06/2011, 9:22 AM
I agree that this motion was voted in by the majority,but the majority will never have any of these ex LOI players on their forms.they certainly won't be competing for Premier league honors....
Also the notion that this will make the league more competitive is ridiculous...it will only further weaken the already struggling clubs because the bigger clubs will come looking for the better players from these clubs.
It could possibly weaken clubs like Fairview and Pike who have brought so much success at national and provincial levels and weaken Limericks challenge in these competitions.....is that what we want to see,the FAI junior cup going anywhere but Limerick!!

didn't the view vote for it

Closing Time
13/06/2011, 3:05 PM
As an outsider, can someone advice if you still only can play five ex LOI players in the FAI Junior Cup? Not including players aged U-21. If these players have played LOI and then go back to LOI they have to wait 5 years before they can play in the FAI Junior Cup. Is this rule still in operation? It all about players’ been regraded correctly.

passandmove
13/06/2011, 6:58 PM
What a ridiculous rule this is,as a player playing in the premier league surely the whole point of playing premier is to test yourself against better players ie tierney barry kavanagh etc,if certain players whinge about playing against ex loi players my adivce would be to go and sign for a lower division team,we have the fai champions in our league and now we decided to punish them for their sucess......what if pike say stuff it we will go play munster senior?

jman
13/06/2011, 9:23 PM
can anyone confirm if this sort of thing is happening in the tipp league

balls
13/06/2011, 10:22 PM
the rule would not have any effect in tipp league as there are only a handfull of ex loi players in the tsdl

nononsense
13/06/2011, 11:04 PM
can anyone confirm if this sort of thing is happening in the tipp league

As I said already the TSDL allows just 2 ex LOI players. In the F.A.I. Junior Cup Final St.Michaels had one. Did I read earlier in this thread Pike Rovers had nine ex LOI players?

theboywonder8
14/06/2011, 9:00 AM
Is shane guerin that 1,because he's ex loi as well,taught jimmy carr was with cork?

balls
14/06/2011, 9:44 AM
jimmy carr was never with cork, with saints since he was a schoolboy.in my opinion jimmy carr is definatly good enough for league of ireland though. paul tobin, shane guerin and ross cosgrave were the 3 with loi experience in saints squad this season. in 2010 season paul tobin, davey ryan and timmy kiely were the 3 ex loi of ireland players in saints squad so its generally around 3 ex league of ireland players the likes of saints and clonmel town have in there squads.
never heard of that 2 ex loi players rule in tsdl but i assume the rule only stood for players who are coming straight out of loi not players who are automatically regraded as junior players after few seasons playing junior. If that was the case sure aaron moroney, ian barnes, tony scully and paul scully could never have played in the same team with clonmel town as they all have played loi at some stage in there careers. but they all played together many times as we all know