PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland Amateur Squad

razor
09/06/2011, 12:34 PM
Republic of Ireland Amateur International Manager, Gerry Smith today named his 20 man squad for the UEFA Regions Cup Finals which take place in Braga, Portugal from the June 21- 28.

Here (http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=101833:smith-names-squad-for-uefa-regions-cup-finals&catid=12:amateur&Itemid=21)

Only 2 Cork players in the 20 man squad and not one Avondale player.
Closed shop me thinks.

leather
09/06/2011, 1:07 PM
lads, what player s can be picked for this squad? any reason why any player not playing LOI cannot qualify too play?

Glenbuck
09/06/2011, 3:38 PM
Republic of Ireland Amateur International Manager, Gerry Smith today named his 20 man squad for the UEFA Regions Cup Finals which take place in Braga, Portugal from the June 21- 28.

Here (http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=101833:smith-names-squad-for-uefa-regions-cup-finals&catid=12:amateur&Itemid=21)

Only 2 Cork players in the 20 man squad and not one Avondale player.
Closed shop me thinks.Who did you have in mind Razor. Alot of the better Dale players are ineligible.

Glenbuck
09/06/2011, 3:40 PM
lads, what player s can be picked for this squad? any reason why any player not playing LOI cannot qualify too play? No reason what so ever

leather
09/06/2011, 4:28 PM
how come that the fai junior champions do not have one player on the panel?? seems a bit odd too me.

thomas72
09/06/2011, 5:04 PM
how come that the fai junior champions do not have one player on the panel?? seems a bit odd too me.

because pike are not based in dublin its a complete joke gerry smith is a joke hasnt a clue.

mulla
09/06/2011, 5:46 PM
scandalous, really shows what he know or thinks he knows about limerick soccer

mayfield utd
10/06/2011, 12:17 AM
lads, what player s can be picked for this squad? any reason why any player not playing LOI cannot qualify too play?

i think there some rule if you played pro or semi pro you can't play,i'm not a 100% on this just remember hearing it a few years back

ball-hop
10/06/2011, 9:01 AM
i think there some rule if you played pro or semi pro you can't play,i'm not a 100% on this just remember hearing it a few years back
Completely true - having EVER played pro or semi pro, player is not eligible. Might be good reasons why players are not available, economic climate could well be influencing.....
However, baffling that Strachan has never got a trial!!

Innishvilla
10/06/2011, 9:57 AM
Lads,
2 things - on the UEFA website it is a Leinster/Munster team in the UEFA regions cup not an Irish side. On the UEFA website the competition is made up of:
Braga (not the professional club the area) Portugal
Ziln - Czech Republic
Ankara - Turkey
Leinster/Munster - Ireland
Yednyst Plysky - Ukraine
Wuttemburg - Germany
South Region - Russia
Belgrade - Serbia
also from their website
"
With amateur players making up 95% of those playing in organised matches in Europe, the tournament's aim is to reward excellence among players who have never played professional football at any level. The quality of the play at all the final tournaments has shown that there are plenty of talented players who have always played for love, not money
"

So it possibly rules out a lot of players - I don't know if there are many of Pike/Avondale squads ruled out by this...

razor
13/06/2011, 9:34 AM
Not 100%, but I would think that even if a player is playing LOI but has signed amateur terms then he would also be eligible.

Who did you have in mind Razor. Alot of the better Dale players are ineligible.True but Mark Horgan got MOTM in the Intermediate Cup Final and was immense all season. Amazing also how Spratty has never got a shout.
He seems to choose the same players from outside Dublin regularly and if he's happy with them then fair enough but it might lead one to think that he doesn't see much football in the rest of the country.

drummerboy
13/06/2011, 10:37 AM
One Cork player failed to show for a training session, leaving no messages as to why and was dropped. Another signed for Cork City. Most of the best players in Cork have played LOI at some stage.

razor
13/06/2011, 11:13 AM
One Cork player failed to show for a training session, leaving no messages as to why and was dropped. Another signed for Cork City.
Most of the best players in Cork have played LOI at some stage.Are you talking about the current two in the squad or previously?
It would be pretty small minded to give up on Cork players because of the actions of 1 or 2.
And your last line is a pretty large generalisation.

smellyfeet
13/06/2011, 3:02 PM
Lads, Ive played for the Amateur and Junior team so can clear this up for you.

Amateur... Any Player who has played Pro or Semi pro at any stage are NOT eligible to play on Amatuer International Team.
The Amatuer International Team consists of Intermediate and Junior Players.

Junior.......All players EX Pro or Ex Semi Pro are eligible to play Junior International as long as they are signed with a Junior Club. Intermediate players don't qualify.

Hope that clears it up.

Glenbuck
13/06/2011, 5:34 PM
Not 100%, but I would think that even if a player is playing LOI but has signed amateur terms then he would also be eligible.

True but Mark Horgan got MOTM in the Intermediate Cup Final and was immense all season. Amazing also how Spratty has never got a shout.
He seems to choose the same players from outside Dublin regularly and if he's happy with them then fair enough but it might lead one to think that he doesn't see much football in the rest of the country.Was Spratty not capped a few years ago. As for Gerry not seeing much outside Dublin I think he has a network of scouts in different regions.

Sparky
13/06/2011, 10:49 PM
I think no matter who Gerry picks he will get grief from some part of the country. Avondale had Mark Sull on the team but since he played with City last Summer he can no longer now. Spratty got a run before, I think Wilkie did this year and Knowlsey from Midleton too. To be honest Howie deserves to be in the squad but not too sure about Brendan. I suppose whatever Club you are linked with you would have a case to put them forward! It would be a fab tournament to be involved in though. I think they actually pick too many good junior players over Senior League players ie. St. Michaels etc.... their centre halves are picked every year but they seem to bottle it in the FAI Junior final every year. I admit this is a bit harsh but there is some truth in it!

Pundit
19/06/2011, 7:06 PM
does playing u-21league of ireland football rule u out for the irish team.

Fantasista
19/06/2011, 11:12 PM
U21 is amateur as far as I know

balls
21/06/2011, 10:49 PM
drew 0-0 with turkey in opening game.

Chiefscout
25/06/2011, 12:12 PM
Keep up the great showing ken Hoey(northside legend) and Brendan o connell

drummerboy
25/06/2011, 1:10 PM
They beat Serbia on Thursday. Playing a Russian team on Sunday, who are bottom of group.

cornflakes
25/06/2011, 1:20 PM
http://www.uefa.com/regionscup/news/newsid=1646643.html

nononsense
26/06/2011, 11:48 PM
Irish Amateur team has qualified for the final of the European Nations Amateur Cup as they came from behind to beat Russia 2-1 to-day. This is a marvellous achievement. They now face favourites, Portugal, in the final on Tuesday.

balls
28/06/2011, 8:59 PM
beaten 2-1 in final. equalised in 2nd half then conceeded in 84th minute. great effort from the lads in getting to final.

razor
29/06/2011, 12:23 PM
beaten 2-1 in final. equalised in 2nd half then conceeded in 84th minute. great effort from the lads in getting to final.Match Report here. (http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=101871:irish-amateurs-lose-out-to-braga-in-uefa-regions-cup-final&catid=12:amateur&Itemid=21)

Lovely beach shot of the two Rockmount lads on the back of the echo last night, like Club Tropicana.

villaman10
29/06/2011, 12:33 PM
fair play to the 2 lads!!hopefully a few more my get a call up due to their contribution!!

smellyfeet
29/06/2011, 1:57 PM
Read all about it here http://www.uefa.com/regionscup/index.html

Did great well done.