PDA

View Full Version : Should McCarthy, Walters, Wilson and Gibson be given a future callup or ignored?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Murfinator
08/06/2011, 10:17 AM
They've all played in their most recent club fixture while declaring themselves unavailable for international duty under severe suspicion. This isn't the first time any of them has had this suspicion around them either.

The result without them was a very united group and some of our best performances stringed together in recent years.

Feels like they'd all be better off in the international wilderness unless they improve their attitude.

SwanVsDalton
08/06/2011, 10:23 AM
With a better attitude and more willingness, yes. Certainly in the case of Walters who appears to have been genuinely disappointed to miss out. They shouldn't it expect to waltz back in though - them's the breaks and others have done well.

Stuttgart88
08/06/2011, 10:25 AM
We still don't know the full extent of the "injuries". By all accounts Walters in particular had a genuine injury that would have prevented him playing. I'm sure the others had niggles, or worse, but were all lacking the commitment of Sledge, O'Dea, Hunt etc. who all played through the pain barrier.

I say call them up but spell out the attitude that's required. Monitor the situation & see how their inclusion affects morale in the camp. I'd rather leave a good player out if it jeopardises the solidarity clearly there among the current squad.

French Toasht
08/06/2011, 10:27 AM
I think each case should be assessed on it's individual merits. For example, Walters appears to have a completely innocent excuse. Also I wouldn't jump to any conclusions on Gibson just yet, Trap can be pretty petulant and shout his mouth off at times without justification.

That said, I'm very happy with the squad we have had over the last 2 weeks and only really look forward to the return of Dunne, Duff and Doyle.

AlaskaFox
08/06/2011, 10:35 AM
Gibson hasn't played in his most recent club fixture...

Predator
08/06/2011, 10:41 AM
I say call them up but spell out the attitude that's required. Monitor the situation & see how their inclusion affects morale in the camp. I'd rather leave a good player out if it jeopardises the solidarity clearly there among the current squad.It seems sad that these players, or indeed any professional, would require a clarification on the attitude that's expected.

TrapAPony
08/06/2011, 11:16 AM
Of course they should be considered/called up for future squads. There's no use in limiting your options. I think the reaction to them pulling out of the Carling Nations squad is a bit OTT tbh.

Crosby87
08/06/2011, 11:22 AM
If McCarthy pulls out again and it looks shady, there is no way Trap will ever call him back up. I don't think Gibson is in his plans anymore.
Would you rather have a C+ player that wants to be there or a B- player that doesn't?

passinginterest
08/06/2011, 11:29 AM
I think this could be a bit of a wake up call for some of these guys, they've pulled out of a squad that's gone and produced some excellent results without them and seems to have found a real team spirit. I'd be hopeful they'll put their heads down and work hard and if they're lucky enough to get another call they'll display the required attitude. It's hard to see any of them getting straight back into the squad, they'll have to rely on withdrawals or club form that's impossible to ignore (and there won't really be time to display this kind of form before the next games).

Duggie
08/06/2011, 11:29 AM
id leave it up to trap, i wouldnt care if he dosent call them up for a while. there own fault. his call on this one for me.

Kingdom
08/06/2011, 11:31 AM
If I was one of them, and I'm not (I'm Ciaran Clark), I would have the Irish fixtures written down at home, I'd be expecting a call-up and I wouldn't make any plans for during those matches. Then, even if I wasn't called up, I'd still be going over to be with the squad or to follow the team. Isn't that how it should work ?

Something I've always wondered about, do the fella's who don't make the squad or pull out, do they even see the games they miss?
I mean, what happens when the squad meets up in August pre-Croatia and Walters and Wilson are in it, and one of them is asked by a team mate, "what did you think of the Macedonian #10", will they have seen the game, what impression does that give?

All I know if it was me, I'd be travelling to those games as a fan, even if I was injured.

Duggie
08/06/2011, 11:34 AM
maybe they should have the courtesy to ring trap and ask to be considered and apologise and try and put the past behind them? thats what they should do.

centre mid
08/06/2011, 11:39 AM
I dont understand why people think McCarthy is dodgy. He obviously wants to play for Ireland given the amount of abuse that he and his family went through when he declared for Ireland. As with any club I suppose, Wigan dont want him playing International football and seeming to be fairly obnoxious in their handling of the injurygate saga.

passinginterest
08/06/2011, 11:39 AM
If I was one of them, and I'm not (I'm Ciaran Clark), I would have the Irish fixtures written down at home, I'd be expecting a call-up and I wouldn't make any plans for during those matches. Then, even if I wasn't called up, I'd still be going over to be with the squad or to follow the team. Isn't that how it should work ?

Something I've always wondered about, do the fella's who don't make the squad or pull out, do they even see the games they miss?
I mean, what happens when the squad meets up in August pre-Croatia and Walters and Wilson are in it, and one of them is asked by a team mate, "what did you think of the Macedonian #10", will they have seen the game, what impression does that give?

All I know if it was me, I'd be travelling to those games as a fan, even if I was injured.

In theory that would be great but I'm sure there would be issues with clubs giving their consent. If a player is carrying a knock the club will want him there getting treatment and I'm sure training doesn't stop completely for those not called up to international squads. You would hope that they'd at least try to watch the game.

paul_oshea
08/06/2011, 11:43 AM
I think this could be a bit of a wake up call for some of these guys, they've pulled out of a squad that's gone and produced some excellent results without them and seems to have found a real team spirit. I'd be hopeful they'll put their heads down and work hard and if they're lucky enough to get another call they'll display the required attitude. It's hard to see any of them getting straight back into the squad, they'll have to rely on withdrawals or club form that's impossible to ignore (and there won't really be time to display this kind of form before the next games).

This is how i see it too and this is exactly what Trap is doing. He is giving them an ultimatum but also building a siege mentality amongst the group. How he balances/handles that if said players come back and improve the team, will be more than interesting.

Duggie
08/06/2011, 11:43 AM
I dont understand why people think McCarthy is dodgy. He obviously wants to play for Ireland given the amount of abuse that he and his family went through when he declared for Ireland. As with any club I suppose, Wigan dont want him playing International football and seeming to be fairly obnoxious in their handling of the injurygate saga.

he could have come if he wanted, didnt preston tell st ledger not to go but he said he wanted to and he wasnt even fit. seems to have a casual attitude.

Kingdom
08/06/2011, 11:50 AM
Trap is a pragmatist - he has to be having lasted this long in management and to have had the success he's had.
I'd suspect there are members of the first team squad, that he would jettison knowing that they would return in a heartbeat if needed - I'm thinking Damien Delaney, Paul McShane, Andy Keogh, Paul Green, Brian Murphy - if he could improve the overall quality by re-introducing some of the more abled players once they showed they were willing.

I think we're codding ourselves if we don't think the likes of McCarthy and Wilson will show up on the radar between now and Euro 2012. There are some cases - Leon Best - where he probably is fighting for reserve squad member at best, pardon the pun, and has decided that it's not worth it. Fine in my book, I'd have Walters over him as backup to Doyle anyway.

Kingdom
08/06/2011, 11:54 AM
To give McCarthy his due, he is supposed to be on the verge of a massive transfer, and he is carrying an injury, so I can understand not wanting to scupper his immediate future.
If he was injured he wasn't going to be taking part in the nations cup anyway. Trap didn't make any subs with players he trusts in Macedonia either so he wasn't going to feature there also.
If he hadn't been pictured on the lash in Wigan then there wouldn't be as much of a furore.

There is a definite problem with communication somewhere. I suspect we'll never know the real truth.

French Toasht
08/06/2011, 11:54 AM
I must say I was hoping Wigan would get relegated, purely because it would ensure that McCathy would leave that club. Wigan are not a very Ireland-friendly club and always seem to try to inhibit him playing for Ireland, and even the club actively encouraged him to meet Levein, regarding the possibilty of representing Scotland.

punkrocket
08/06/2011, 12:09 PM
It will give them something to think about while they are lying on the beach over the coming weeks hopefully a little ruefully.

Sullivinho
08/06/2011, 12:16 PM
The next game (vs Croatia I think) is at another 'dodgy' time of the season, right at the beginning. If Trap does call upon them and they fail to show.. I wouldn't fancy their chances of a call-up for a while after that. Individually, I don't think there's any of 'em who have burnt their bridges completely apart from Stokes who was superfluous and looking at the back of a sizable queue anyway. Walters' case is interesting from a personnel point of view. He's 5th choice behind Robbie, Doyle, Long and Cox now. His loss has very much been Cox's gain. Ditto for 6th choice Best. Guys with a dozen premier league goals between them struggling to get a look in, not bad. Wilson has similarly been usurped in the pecking order by Ward. These lads have more than Trap's forgiveness to contend with now.

I'm good with giving all these fellas another opportunity and think Trap will be too, albeit the players who turned up and especially the debutants will have more points on their Trap loyalty cards.

Totally agreed. In fact the furore will probably serve as a caution in general. Players know if they don't turn up it'l be scrutinized. Possibly by Trap himself. Publicly. For Irish internationals, there's never been a better time to have your groin in order.

Fixer82
08/06/2011, 1:20 PM
Have to say I'm pretty impressed with Trap's attitude the last while about players. They should be breaking their back to come and pull on the green jersey. And if they don't make enough of an effort to communicate that they are desperate to play then good riddance. There's plenty of lads out there who will turn up regardless and not necessarily be guaranteed a start - Delaney, Forde, McShane, Kelly etc. These lads aren't all amazing players but they play with heart and spirit. And that's what we had in the early 90s.

Kingdom
08/06/2011, 1:51 PM
Bonner, Irwin, Phelan, McGrath, Kernaghan, Houghton, Townsend, Keane, Staunton, Quinn, Aldridge.

They had more than heart and spirit.

Stuttgart88
08/06/2011, 1:56 PM
Stephen Hunt in diplomatic mood (http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2011/0608/1224298630856.html)

However, the Wolves midfielder was diplomatic when asked about the matter, although he warned the stay-aways that they will have a fight on their hands to force themselves back into contention.

He said: “Listen, the ones who didn’t turn up, it has been made a great deal of, but they will be back fighting for places like we did last night, and the ones who have been here have done themselves no harm at all.

“It’s up to the manager, but the ones who are here have done very well, make no mistake about it.”

TrapAPony
08/06/2011, 3:16 PM
Trapattoni to contact no-shows
CARL O'MALLEY

Soccer: Giovanni Trapattoni will be contacting those players who did not report for international duty last month to ascertain once and for all whether they wish to play for the Republic of Ireland.

After four wins from four over the last two weeks, culminating in last night’s 2-0 win over Italy in Liege, the manager will seek to put an end to the communication issues that have disrupted his relationship with some aspiring internationals.

He reiterated today he is keen to have everyone on board but appeared ready to put the matter to bed, one way or another, over the summer.

After the squad got together on May 22nd, Trapattoni revealed James McCarthy did not return the FAI’s calls since the squad announcement, and there were then subsequent withdrawals from other fringe players, including Marc Wilson and Darron Gibson.

Celtic striker Anthony Stokes had been in touch to explain he was too tired to take part in the Carling Cup games against Northern Ireland and Scotland and the Euro 2012 qualifier against Macedonia in Skopje on June 4th.

Having seen Wigan’s medical reports of McCarthy’s ‘ankle injury’ a little over 24 hours prior to the first game against the North, the FAI then cast doubts over their veracity and suggested reasons for Wilson’s absence were also suspect. Stokes’s explanation clearly angered the manager.

The controversy got the international break off to a shaky start but Trapattoni and his available players rallied to win four on the bounce, conceding none while scoring 10 to boost morale among those whose commitment was never in doubt.

The results have won the hearts and minds of the fans and those players who showed such passion in Liege last night, and the manager today called for a little “respect” from those who stayed away.

“My doubt is only when the players don’t answer the calls of our secretary,” he said. “I want them to show respect for the other players, to tell us they are fit and will come over, or that they are not.

“If they tell us it is impossible, fine, we have time to call other players. It’s simply good manners and we never force a player to go anywhere.”

Reflecting on last night’s game the manager was again at pains to focus on the result rather than the opposition, explaining his lack of emotion on the sideline should not be construed as empathy for his defeated countrymen.

“I was happy in my heart. I didn’t feel that revenge against Italy was needed. If it’s against Italy fine, Macedonia okay. It’s about doing a good job, not about who we beat.”

With the results in the bag, he also backed his ideology on how his team should win.

“Football is a creative game. Creative players like Messi, Ronaldo, or Maradona in the past, can win a game, but there are others who build a result. We are a team that builds results and I’m happy with that.”

With transfer season upon us, Trapattoni offered a gentle reminder to his captain and goalkeeper, that, with four crucial qualifiers left in the autumn, games are important and for that reason moves for Robbie Keane and Shay Given would be preferable over the summer.

“My philosophy is that they can play for a time even when they are not in their club teams, because they don’t lose their condition after a few weeks. But in the longer term it’s important that they play.”
http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2011/0608/1224298631741.html

BonnieShels
08/06/2011, 3:44 PM
“Football is a creative game. Creative players like Messi, Ronaldo, or Maradona in the past, can win a game, but there are others who build a result. We are a team that builds results and I’m happy with that.”

That is a remarkable statement and one which critics of Trap should take note of.

Murfinator
08/06/2011, 5:43 PM
Gibson hasn't played in his most recent club fixture...

Gibson was available for the champions league final, it trained for it and this groin problem only emerged after the game was done and dusted making it very, very suspicious.

As was said St Ledger joined the squad injured with the hope of recovering for later fixtures, thats the right attitude to have.

DannyInvincible
08/06/2011, 5:44 PM
I don't think Gibson is in his plans anymore.

What makes you say that? If I'm not mistaken, hasn't Gibson been called into every squad of Trap's for which he's been available?

Anyway, we're getting a bit carried away here when nobody knows the full details of these guys' claimed injuries. We're not really in any position to make judgments. Walters is suffering from a long-term problem that the FAI have known about for quite a while and they accepted that his lack of contact, or whatever it was happened there, was an innocent communication error.

It appears that McCarthy's situation is still under dispute, with even his father, Willie, publicly and angrily contradicting the FAI's line of events. We do know that the FAI either lied on the Monday after the Sunday they received contact from Wigan or else messed up with some internal communication as Trap appeared unaware in the press conference, whilst Tardelli was later telling us that the FAI didn't doubt McCarthy was injured - despite the suspicious scan claims - but that he still should have come over to be assessed by the FAI doctor. Then, FIFA's regulations on the matter don't oblige injured players to attend for examination at all if they play outside the country and have already been examined in the country in which they play.

I've said it before, but I'm prepared to give McCarthy the benefit of the doubt and would, of course, be more than happy to see him included in future. I'd be disappointed if he weren't. Wigan are clearly hostile to international football, he was out for three months of the season with the ankle injury - there is obvious worry or potential for aggravation there - and he is on the brink of a career-changing transfer. Those are not the primary reasons I'd be sympathetic, mind. What he's voluntarily put himself through just in order to play for us since the age of 16 or 17 commands nothing but my admiration and respect.

Anthony Stokes, however, is clearly a waster. Not exactly a Stephen Ireland category waster, yet, but it wouldn't bother me at this point if he was never seen in an Ireland jersey again.

If he hadn't been pictured on the lash in Wigan then there wouldn't be as much of a furore.

I've read both on here and in a newspaper article that McCarthy doesn't drink. Unless Wigan's survival changed things that night...

the bear
08/06/2011, 5:59 PM
i'd gladly welcome them all into the next squad, just behind the players who turned up and performed last week in the pecking order

ArdeeBhoy
08/06/2011, 6:08 PM
Of course they should, but as Bear says, have dropped back slightly in the pecking order....

Murfinator
08/06/2011, 6:10 PM
At least Stoke is honest. In my book "too tired" and "groin injury" when everyone and their dog knows if you really wanted to play you could play are equally unacceptable excuses.

I'm not sure what happened with Best and Folan exactly. But the reaction from Trap is bang on, this kind of business isnt acceptable and I'm to see him making a commotion about it, a bit of noise to show this kind of thing isnt tolerated might make players reconsider next time if they know every pull out will be scrutinised.

The comment about Wigan is interesting too, I knew Scottish players at Wigan were trying to lure McCarthy but surely nobody in the management team would have had a preference for him to go to Scotland?

Fixer82
08/06/2011, 6:16 PM
Bonner, Irwin, Phelan, McGrath, Kernaghan, Houghton, Townsend, Keane, Staunton, Quinn, Aldridge.

They had more than heart and spirit.

Yes they surely did but the game they played wasn't about skill, it was about pressuring the opposition and that was achieved through grit and determination. I would never say the current crop is anywhere near as talented as what we had in early 90s but getting the attitude right is half the battle

tricky_colour
08/06/2011, 8:50 PM
I think the players who have turned up and been getting some great results must be foremost in Traps thoughts
simply because they have been doing the job and getting the results, why would trap want to make wholesale changes?

I don't think Trap cares about the reputation of the players or what they do for their club, all he will care about is
what they do on the pitch for him, in matches and in training.

Noelys Guitar
08/06/2011, 9:15 PM
Trapatonni is quite capable of not only selecting Walters, Gibson, McCarthy and Wilson (Stokes dosen't count)but also playing them against Croatia. He will have put the last couple of weeks results almost completely out of his mind by now. Look what happened to Long. You come in an play well. You read about yourself teaming up with Keane for the Macedonia game. You praise the management in the press. And then your dropped for a blow in. I work for Italian's and it is always what are you going to do for me tomorrow. Trapatonni has played a blinder the last few weeks. He has built up players (a few I bet he never selects again). He has publicly taken on the alleged half-hearted and won hands down. I bet there is not one phony cry off come the Croatia game. And like the old days under Jack players like Cox are clever enough to see how the last couple of weeks have enhanced their club situation no end. So in answer to the question I expect to see all four back in the squad if they are deemed good enough by Trapatonni.

CraftyToePoke
08/06/2011, 9:26 PM
On a similar note, I wonder if we do hold this kind of improving form and qualify, how many eligible lads will become Irish, I'd have a tenner on O'Hara for starters, then the decision Trap has, do you take a Glenn Whelan for example, or a guy like O'Hara. Damien Delaney , Darren O'Dea and McShane Vs Chambers, Stearman and Gerrard. Noble Vs Fahy. Lawerence Vs Pennant.

It could get very messy and destroy morale, something which is clearly high at present, on the other hand the potential recruits are stronger options, only marginally in some cases, but nonetheless.

Would we see a loyal to the guys who always travelled, or a very cold blooded pragmatic Trap then?

Murfinator
08/06/2011, 9:39 PM
Hard to know how Trap rates those players. Pennant for example isnt strong defensively so Lawrence would win that in a direct decision. I don't think he'd start a noble or fahey in a serious game, they're not the kind of player he uses. Delaney, O'Dea and McShane may very well not be good enough and could have their positions taken in that situation. Their fault for not doing enough to keep them.

Noelys Guitar
08/06/2011, 9:46 PM
I don't think Trap will bring in O'Hara or Pennant or anyone else for that matter unless he believes they will improve the team against Slovakia and Russia. It has to be remembered he did hint strongly after the Russia game that we did not have a good enough team (on that occasion) to beat Russia. He is not going to let that situation happen again. So like picking Gibson for the Macedonia home game and Cox for the away Macedonia he will be looking for a particular player or players that will inflict most damage on the opposition. It could be Coleman. It could Ward. It could be McCarthy. It could be a player yet to declare. Hard to tell but a lot could happen between now and the Croatia game.

DannyInvincible
08/06/2011, 10:51 PM
Look what happened to Long. You come in an play well. You read about yourself teaming up with Keane for the Macedonia game. You praise the management in the press. And then your dropped for a blow in.

I wouldn't really say Long was "dropped". To be fair, Tardelli seemed to suggest that one of the reasons that Cox was favoured for the Macedonia game was because Long's play-off loss was still negatively affecting his mentality in training. I think that's fair enough.

SwanVsDalton
08/06/2011, 11:35 PM
I wouldn't really say Long was "dropped". To be fair, Tardelli seemed to suggest that one of the reasons that Cox was favoured for the Macedonia game was because Long's play-off loss was still negatively affecting his mentality in training. I think that's fair enough.

Tardelli was also quick to say Cox was in on merit if I recall correctly.

Noelys Guitar
09/06/2011, 2:13 AM

Cox is slightly ahead of Long and might even be ahead of Doyle in the eyes of the management. It would not be a huge surprise to me if Keane and Cox line out against Slovakia. Long is now probably fourth choice forward. And thats why I would not rule out the selection of the "gang of four" for the Croatia friendly. Things can change rapidly under Trap. As of today most fans would predict Trap starting Whelan and Andrews against Slovakia and Russia. I don't think he will. I'm just not sure who will come in if either Whelan or the more likely Andrews is "rested". I bet Trap has been watching dvd's of the home Russia defeat over and over again. He will look at who played, how they played and what went wrong. And he will not want a repeat performance. The Irish squad for the Croatia game will be very interesting.

Fixer82
09/06/2011, 2:33 AM
Cox is slightly ahead of Long and might even be ahead of Doyle in the eyes of the management. It would not be a huge surprise to me if Keane and Cox line out against Slovakia. Long is now probably fourth choice forward. And thats why I would not rule out the selection of the "gang of four" for the Croatia friendly. Things can change rapidly under Trap. As of today most fans would predict Trap starting Whelan and Andrews against Slovakia and Russia. I don't think he will. I'm just not sure who will come in if either Whelan or the more likely Andrews is "rested". I bet Trap has been watching dvd's of the home Russia defeat over and over again. He will look at who played, how they played and what went wrong. And he will not want a repeat performance. The Irish squad for the Croatia game will be very interesting.

You're right though I don't understand it. I think Andrews has been a better performer for Ireland for the past while now

tricky_colour
09/06/2011, 3:11 AM

This was the team:-

Given, O'Shea, Dunne, St. Ledger, Kilbane, Green, Whelan (Gibson 66), Lawrence (Long 62), McGeady, Keane, Doyle (Fahey 71).
Subs not used: Westwood, McShane, Keogh, Cunningham.

And the Italy team:

Republic of Ireland: Forde, McShane, Ward, St. Ledger, O'Dea, Foley, Coleman, Andrews, Hunt, Long, Keogh
Subs: Murphy, Kelly, Cox, Delaney, Whelan, Lawrence, Treacy

gastric
09/06/2011, 7:26 AM
Trap needs to stop making these public utterances as they don't help, but cause anomosity. He should have learnt from the last McCarthy furore.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/trap-issues-ultimatum-to-stayaway-players-2670079.html

AlaskaFox
09/06/2011, 8:14 AM
I don't think there's anything wrong with what Trap said there. He wants them to answer his calls. He's the one holding the olive branch, not them. Not like he's saying they have to come back begging for their places. He just wants them to answer their phones.

Stuttgart88
09/06/2011, 9:11 AM
I don't think they have a pre-ordained ranking of our forwards, after Doyle & Keane. It's horses for courses.

Long's day will come and probably sooner rather than later. Cox has more experience now* so whoever comes in for either of our main two will be able to do a job.

wrt Noble, O'Hara etc. Stuff them. It's too late to declare. The dressing room is a strong and united place right now. The "stay aways" have their chance to come back in, but there's no room for any more. Guys like Meyler and McCann could play their way in, but no late-deciders.

I think Andrews is nailed on to start, certainly against Russia. If he watched the Russia DVD he'll see that Whelan must have been on tranquilisers and Green couldn't do his own job, let alone the job of two. Andrews may not be Pele, but he snaps at ankles and is hard to play through. He is very athletic too, so covers the ground well. Against Slovakia, Trap may well go for a better passer like Fahey or Gibson.

However, a lot will depend on who is match fit. Last October I don't think any of Whelan, Fahey, Andrews or Gibson was starting for their club. Nor was Given, Keane and one or two others.

*edit: what I mean is that he has more experience than he did a month ago, not more experience than Long.

Stuttgart88
09/06/2011, 9:12 AM
I don't think there's anything wrong with what Trap said there. He wants them to answer his calls. He's the one holding the olive branch, not them. Not like he's saying they have to come back begging for their places. He just wants them to answer their phones.I agree. He's absolutely right.

gastric
09/06/2011, 9:43 AM
The point I am making is that while what he says makes sense, such public utterances can lead to miscommunication and crossed wires. We have seen this in the past and the last thing we need are players feeling they are being targeted.

Stuttgart88
09/06/2011, 10:12 AM
Not tageted as such, but you know the fingers-to-eyes gesture that Robert de Niro does do Ben Stiller in "Meet the Parents"? That's what Trap is doing, and on everyone's behalf. I don't think much more should be made of it but Trap says he'll be getting in touch with everyone to ask if they're in, and to spell out that he requires responses to his and/or Mary at the FAI's texts and calls.

The worrying thing was that The Irish Times has quoted Trap as saying he'll be doing this by text!

shakermaker1982
09/06/2011, 10:21 AM
If I was one of thoese players I'd be heading over to Dublin for the Croatia game no matter how 'injured' I was. I'd also make sure my iphone was on. NO MORE EXCUSES. If they want to make the plane for Poland/Ukraine (if we qualify, which is a big if) then they need to buck their ideas up.

Kingdom
09/06/2011, 10:24 AM
Tardelli was also quick to say Cox was in on merit if I recall correctly.

There was a good bit of talk over in Skopje that Cox had been flying all week. This had come from one or two in the squad to one or two well placed fans. Cox was on fire all week, and was getting everyone hopping - infectious was one of the phrases used.
Shane Long is a star in the making, he's still relatively young and he will develop into a fine striker. But he's had a ridiculous season, and if he was on a bit of a downer after the playoff final, that was totally understandable. As it turns out "We love Cox" had a decent game (I was surprised how little was mentioned of his intelligent use of the knock down in the first half) and should have had a debut competitive goal (only when I got back home did I realise the goal was good). If we didn't get the three points, it wouldn't have been because of Cox.