PDA

View Full Version : Blue Bloods

BonnieShels
07/06/2011, 10:29 PM
I just watched the pilot...

It was one of the worst things I've ever seen... can anyone tell me whether I'm wasting my time with the rest?

BonnieShels
07/06/2011, 10:35 PM
Delete this thread. Macy's answered my thoughts.

born2bwild
07/06/2011, 10:36 PM
That's uncanny. As soon as the Ireland match was over I thought about watching that too. I didn't because it was on the RTE website and I thought "RTE ? Can't be any good." I know it's an American show, like but, I just hesitated because RTE were carrying it. No good? I'm not expecting 'The Wire' but is it even as good as, say, 'The Shield'?

BonnieShels
07/06/2011, 11:27 PM
Whilst I don't agree with your logic of bringing RTÉ into it I can't abide this show's existence. Most cliched thing I've ever seen and the blue templar angle is going to be something. I'm gonna keep watching cos its so so bad. The epitome of car crash tv. However I have the Chicago code on series link now. Fingers crossed for that.

Macy
08/06/2011, 8:06 AM
I don't think Blue Bloods is that bad - it still has potential if they can get over the cliches. Wouldn't be rushing out for a box set, but there's enough there that I'll watch it on TV.

btw, not sure I get the negative vibe for RTE over it - everybody appears to have a hard on for Sky Atlantic, and this was one of the main early shows afaik. Anyone hesitate when RTE were showing the soprano's, or the west wing? You can't really even blame them for not having The Wire, as that was a rumbling hit that anyone other than HBO would've cancelled after one season.

BonnieShels
08/06/2011, 8:23 AM
I don't think Blue Bloods is that bad - it still has potential if they can get over the cliches. Wouldn't be rushing out for a box set, but there's enough there that I'll watch it on TV.

btw, not sure I get the negative vibe for RTE over it - everybody appears to have a hard on for Sky Atlantic, and this was one of the main early shows afaik. Anyone hesitate when RTE were showing the soprano's, or the west wing? You can't really even blame them for not having The Wire, as that was a rumbling hit that anyone other than HBO would've cancelled after one season.

I think it could be a lot better though. It could get better, time will tell.

As regards the dissing of RTÉ I'm with you. Have never understood why people blithely make comments about RTÉ in the fashion that they do. I think we are terribly lucky to have it and although it could be improved let's just thank our lucky stars we don't have to put up with public television a la France, Italy etc.

born2bwild
08/06/2011, 11:11 AM
Yeah, suppose, it's a bit lazy to dismiss RTE. I'm subjected to Russian TV all the time. Oh Jesus, help me, it's awful.

BonnieShels
09/06/2011, 9:32 AM
Help yourself... RTÉ Player.

born2bwild
09/06/2011, 12:06 PM
Help yourself... RTÉ Player.
Pat Kenny exposed! I saw you last week in Tolka. That Groucho Marx glasses nose and moustaches set wasn't fooling me.

BonnieShels
22/06/2011, 10:16 PM
Watched another bit of it last night.

A a result I turned it off and deleted all episodes on the digibox.

shakermaker1982
28/06/2011, 11:50 AM
It's awful. I mentioned it on the other tv thread I think a few weeks bad. How drivel like this lasts and stuff like rubicon gets dropped I'll never know.

Has anybody seen Chicago code? It's slightly better than blue bloods but I was expecting more because it's from the creator of the Shield.

BonnieShels
28/06/2011, 1:46 PM
Have some recorded but haven't watched any yet. detroit 187 has been recommended here as well.

Macy
30/06/2011, 9:20 AM
Still not getting the hate of blue bloods - it's grand TV fodder imo. Wouldn't be downloading it, or gutted if I missed it, but it's still ok compared to most of the crap. I'd probably be more bothered if I was paying a sky atlantic sub and this was the quality I was expecting though!

Dodge
30/06/2011, 9:33 AM
Thats it for me too Macy. Clashing with nothing, passes an hour or so while the missus is at her class. same level as the CSIs, Law & Orders and all the other crime procedurals. Wouldn't watch any of them religously but can pass an hour. I get that people don't like them, I'm just wondering where the hostility towards the show comes from? What were you expecting from a UC network cop show?

Chicago Code has been cancelled BTW.

TG4 showed the Wire too. Long before any of the British channels from recolllection

BonnieShels
30/06/2011, 10:37 AM
TG4 is generally grad with hbo. They had the wire, oz and the sopranos before anyone else.

Dodge
30/06/2011, 11:22 AM
Nope, the much maligned RTE had Sopranos. I used to have to tape it from the second series on (remember that) for a mate and send them to Cardiff so he could watch them. E4 was a full season behind, Channel 4 was a full year behind

(Pre widespread use of internet for this type of thing)

BonnieShels
30/06/2011, 1:13 PM
RTÉ had it first? Get out of here.

shakermaker1982
30/06/2011, 1:23 PM
20 hours of your life on Blue Bloods could be spent on starting with the Shield, Justified, the Wire, Rubicon, Sopranos, the Killing, Deadwood, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad if you haven't already watched em. Those shows are just off the top of my head. Plenty of better stuff out there.

Cop shows which ensure that all cases are cracked within an hour and then all members of the family get to have a chat about their day isn't for me! I've just bought series 1 and 2 of Spiral (french cop show) which I'm hoping isn't all sugar coated.

Macy
30/06/2011, 1:54 PM
Sometimes it's good to have a casual, no strings show! I don't see anyone putting it up with those shows (except maybe sky).

Dodge
30/06/2011, 1:57 PM
Plenty of better stuff out there

No ever claimed otherwise.

Stuttgart88
01/07/2011, 3:37 PM
Never saw The Shield. How good is it? Sopranos / Wire quality, or more on CSI's level?

Mrs. S loves all the good HBO shows and the cop stuff (she actually hung out with Dominic West as a kid - didn't like him !), esp. Law & Order & spin offs. I might buy the Shield box set if it's recommended.

Did anyone watch Southland? Have I missed series 2?

Dodge
01/07/2011, 3:42 PM
Shield is in between those levels IMO.

Nowhere near the level of Sopranos/Wire (what is , eh?) but a good deal better than most crime procedurals. Think NYPD Blue or Homocide when it first came on

shakermaker1982
04/07/2011, 7:45 AM
Never saw The Shield. How good is it? Sopranos / Wire quality, or more on CSI's level?

Mrs. S loves all the good HBO shows and the cop stuff (she actually hung out with Dominic West as a kid - didn't like him !), esp. Law & Order & spin offs. I might buy the Shield box set if it's recommended.

Did anyone watch Southland? Have I missed series 2?

Southland series 2 was on a while ago (must have been at least 6 months ago). I've got them all on my sky box but I've not started em yet. The Shield is well worth a watch and very different to the Wire. It's a lot more full on and in your face but it does have a good story arc.

Macy
04/07/2011, 8:05 AM
Shield is in between those levels IMO.

Nowhere near the level of Sopranos/Wire (what is , eh?) but a good deal better than most crime procedurals. Think NYPD Blue or Homocide when it first came on
Agree with that assessment. Had that great trait of the HBO classics of multidimensional characters, where you like a character one week and think they're a untc the next.