PDA

View Full Version : Italy V Republic of Ireland - Tuesday, 7th June 2011 - Friendly - Liege

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

EastTerracer
05/06/2011, 7:45 PM
Trapattoni has released Keane, Given, Kilbane, O'Shea and Fahey from the squad for Tuesday's friendly. It also seems certain that Long and Keogh will start up front. Presumably Forde will start the game in goal (he was the nominated sub yesterday).

Live coverage starts on Sky Sports 1 at 7.30pm and TG4 will have delayed coverage of the game in full at 10.30pm (as Gaeilge presumably)

DannyInvincible
05/06/2011, 8:07 PM
Italy squad is as follows:

Goalkeepers:
Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus)
Salvatore Sirigu (Palermo)
Emiliano Viviano (Bologna)

Defenders:
Davide Astori (Cagliari)
Federico Balzaretti (Palermo)
Mattia Cassani (Palermo)
Giorgio Chiellini (Juventus)
Domenico Criscito (Genoa)
Alessandro Gamberini (Fiorentina)
Christian Maggio (Napoli)
Andrea Ranocchia (Inter Milan)

Midfielders:
Alberto Aquilani (Juventus)
Claudio Marchisio (Juventus)
Riccardo Montolivo (Fiorentina)
Thiago Motta (Inter)
Antonio Nocerino (Palermo)
Angelo Palombo (Sampdoria)
Andrea Pirlo (AC Milan)

Forwards:
Mario Balotelli (Manchester City)
Antonio Cassano (Milan)
Alberto Gilardino (Fiorentina)
Sebastian Giovinco (Parma)
Alessandro Matri (Juventus)
Giampaolo Pazzini (Inter)
Giuseppe Rossi (Villarreal)

Aquilani has pulled out, however, with a head injury: http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3284/euro-2012/2011/06/04/2517442/alberto-aquilani-withdraws-from-italy-squad-to-face-republic

SwanVsDalton
05/06/2011, 8:19 PM
Strong squad. We could be doing well not to get beat by a couple.

Possible team:
----------------Forde--------------
Foley---Kelly-----------O'Dea---Ward

Coleman---Whelan---Andrews---Hunt

--------Cox--------Long------------

McGeady looked a bit tired so not sure he'll start. Who left over? Lawrence, Delaney, Sledge, Murphy, Keogh, McShane...

holidaysong
05/06/2011, 8:54 PM
Didn't realise TG4 were showing the game in full (albeit delayed coverage), cheers for the info!

pineapple stu
05/06/2011, 9:03 PM
Who left over? Lawrence, Delaney, Sledge, Murphy, Keogh, McShane...
This seems to be what's left (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland_national_football_team#Current _squad) of the squad anyway. Keogh is confirmed as starting up front instead of Cox. Think that's the only part of the team announced so far.

Sullivinho
05/06/2011, 9:09 PM
Can't see beyond an Italian win given those squads. Although I think I heard that Balotelli is injured.

geysir
05/06/2011, 9:59 PM
RTE say O'Shea's wife is expecting a baby. Perfect timing from John. He has his priorities in order.

Sullivinho
05/06/2011, 10:38 PM
RTE say O'Shea's wife is expecting a baby. Perfect timing from John. He has his priorities in order.

The FAI team doctor is examining the ultrasound as we speak. Big trouble on the horizon for John if nothing is found.

Sullivinho
05/06/2011, 11:18 PM
Five leave Ireland squad ahead of Italy (http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2011/0605/1224298458474.html)

"Aiden McGeady and Stephen Hunt were given the option of leaving early but both refused. It’s a mark of the commitment of the former, considering his club Spartak Moscow are in action at the weekend".

Fair play to 'em.

Charlie Darwin
05/06/2011, 11:23 PM
Good to see Given and particularly Kilbane doing coaching courses too.

BonnieShels
05/06/2011, 11:36 PM
Just flashed up on Sky Sports News that Keane's out with a groin injury.

geysir
06/06/2011, 2:14 AM
It's the new excuse.
'Not tonight dear, it's my groin'.

magicman
06/06/2011, 2:47 AM
Wouldn't actually mind seeing something like either of these:

------------Forde-------------
Foley --- Sledge --- Delaney --- Ward
Coleman - Whelan - Andrews - McGeady
Long ---- Cox

Forde
Coleman - Sledge - Delaney- Ward
Lawrence- Whelan- Foley- McGeady
Long - Cox

French Toasht
06/06/2011, 2:52 AM
RTE say O'Shea's wife is expecting a baby.

That should dispel a few rumours about John O'Shea's sexuality!

SwanVsDalton
06/06/2011, 10:13 AM
That should dispel a few rumours about John O'Shea's sexuality!

Not convinced, since the rumours ploughed on regardless of the fact he's married. He's pretty relaxed about it though - read an interview with him in Football Punk and the writer asked him straight up (excuse the pun) and he said it didn't bother him though he decidedly ain't.

ifk101
06/06/2011, 10:18 AM
Italy at near full strength for this game which should set the alarm bells ringing.

I presume Trapattoni will seek to rest as many players as possible from Saturday night's game. Possible line-up could be;
Forde;
McShane, St Ledger, Delaney, Ward;
Coleman, Foley, Whelan/Andrews/Lawrence, Treacy;
Long, Keogh.

Stuttgart88
06/06/2011, 10:34 AM
Have Italy regrouped after South Africa and started putting a decent looking side together again? That's the impression I get.

I am really looking forward to this game. I was hoping to go over but I have a "can't miss" appointment tomorrow pm. It's nice to be totally relaxed waiting for an Ireland game and I'm setting the bar low in terms of expectation. If a few of the fringe players can impress then it'd be very welcome.

tetsujin1979
06/06/2011, 11:37 AM
McGeady recalled by his club, FAI can't stop out since it's a friendly, Treacy to start on the left so?

shakermaker1982
06/06/2011, 12:23 PM
Fair play to McGeady to wanting to stay on. I hope we don't get a caning.....Italy from the reports I have been reading are now starting to play like Spain?! Lots and lots of passing.

geysir
06/06/2011, 12:56 PM
McDonnell in the Indo understands that Long and Keogh will start, leaving Cox and Hunt as subs.

Italian coach Cesare Prandelli has paid a warm tribute to Trapattoni. "He's in a league of his own, there's no comparison," said Prandelli.
"He'll give me some advice -- he was one of the first to call me when I accepted this job."

French Toasht
06/06/2011, 1:57 PM
Italian coach Cesare Prandelli has paid a warm tribute to Trapattoni. "He's in a league of his own, there's no comparison," said Prandelli.
"He'll give me some advice -- he was one of the first to call me when I accepted this job."

I just wish some Irish fans would recognise what the rest of the world clearly sees.

tetsujin1979
06/06/2011, 2:12 PM
James Horncastle posted the Italy team on twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/JamesHorncastle/statuses/77721440870334464

Italy XI for Rep of Ireland match: Viviano; Cassani, Gamberini, Chiellini, Criscito; Nocerino, Pirlo, Marchisio; Montolivo; Rossi, Pazzini

Charlie Darwin
06/06/2011, 2:25 PM
Fair play to McGeady to wanting to stay on. I hope we don't get a caning.....Italy from the reports I have been reading are now starting to play like Spain?! Lots and lots of passing.
To be fair, there's a lot more to the Spanish game than passing. Everybody knows that Italian players have always been among the most technically gifted so it's not surprise they can string hundreds of passes together. It's interesting that they seem to be sticking with Pirlo, even after Milan took the gamble of letting him go. My worry (for them) would be they don't have enough creative players to make the best of the possession.

geysir
06/06/2011, 2:37 PM
Whats with Italian names, they either end in an i or an o.

French Toasht
06/06/2011, 2:42 PM

Remember the Bulgaria WC 1994 squad. All but 2 players names did not in "kov".

Philly
06/06/2011, 4:03 PM
McGeady is out of our squad after Spartak requested him to return.

Very weak squad from Ireland for this game, and Italy are coming on well of late. Could be a tough one.

IsMiseSean
06/06/2011, 4:54 PM
James Horncastle posted the Italy team on twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/JamesHorncastle/statuses/77721440870334464

That's quiet a strong team. We could be in for a long night...

Stuttgart88
06/06/2011, 5:01 PM
Whats with Italian names, they either end in an i or an o....says the man who lives in Iceland. There's a lot of variety up there.

IsMiseSean
06/06/2011, 5:05 PM
Daniel McDonnell just posted the team on twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/McDonnellDan

Ireland XI v Italy: Forde, McShane [c], St Ledger, O'Dea or Kelly, Ward; Coleman, Andrews, Foley, Hunt or Lawrence; Keogh, Long

Stuttgart88
06/06/2011, 5:17 PM
Thanks. By bedtime tomorrow I think we may know how Northern Ireland fans felt after playing us.

SwanVsDalton
06/06/2011, 5:47 PM
Captain McShane to dribble up-field and score the winner. Italians more gobsmacked than Pagliuca in 94.

EastTerracer
06/06/2011, 6:00 PM
A home friendly with Croatia on August 10th was also confirmed at the press conference.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2011/0606/1224298494224.html

SwanVsDalton
06/06/2011, 6:07 PM
A home friendly with Croatia on August 10th was also confirmed at the press conference.

Been a bit of criticism recently on our choice of friendly opposition, but that's a great shout ahead of Slovakia/Russia.

geysir
06/06/2011, 6:09 PM
...says the man who lives in Iceland. There's a lot of variety up there.

Look son, you're always somebodies son.

BonnieShels
06/06/2011, 6:54 PM
I just wish some Irish fans would recognise what the rest of the world clearly sees.

In fairness... the "fans" will always make an excuse. They're hardly the people trundling back from Skopje or the ones who realise just how lucky we are to have Robbie.

paul_oshea
06/06/2011, 7:04 PM
did anyone else think of mcshane when reading traps comments on prandelli?

paul_oshea
06/06/2011, 7:06 PM

what's wrong with Irish names they end in n or y or e

BonnieShels
06/06/2011, 7:36 PM
did anyone else think of mcshane when reading traps comments on prandelli?

Don't you mean Prandelli's quotes on Trap?

Originally Posted by geysir

You mean like this:

Originally thought by POS
Irish captain for the game against Italy has paid a warm tribute to Giovanni Trapattoni. "He's in a league of his own, there's no comparison," said Paul McShane.

BonnieShels
06/06/2011, 7:37 PM
what's wrong with Irish names they end in n or y or e

Well they all end up ending in 'o' anyway!

paul_oshea
06/06/2011, 8:00 PM
Don't you mean Prandelli's quotes on Trap?

You mean like this:

No, I mean like this:

e Republic boss said: 'He [Prandelli] was my player and I have a great affection for him, and I wish him the best of luck for the [Euro 2012] qualifying campaign.

'But I am not wishing him good luck for tomorrow. He was a very intelligent player - he wasn't the best player when I had him at Juventus, but he was a great man, one of those players that any coach would like to have.

'He was a reserve, but he was one of those reserves that you could count on - and when you needed him, he was always ready to step in and be counted.

A great team needs reserves like that, reserves who are always ready to step in and deliver. It's a coach's dream to have players like that

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/0606/mcshanep.html

geysir
06/06/2011, 8:16 PM
A McShane dream would be a bit on the dry side.

BonnieShels
06/06/2011, 9:03 PM
No, I mean like this:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/0606/mcshanep.html

He giveth with one hand...

Yes... that's McShane alright!

Stuttgart88
06/06/2011, 9:10 PM
Very pleased with the choice of Croatia.

BonnieShels
06/06/2011, 9:21 PM
Very pleased with the choice of Croatia.

Yeah. You've said this already non?

Great choice though. Shame it's not in Zagreb in once sense. For the sake of an energy sapping trip from Dublin-Zagreb-Moscow... I'm glad it's not.

Stuttgart88
06/06/2011, 9:25 PM
Non, that was SvD that said that.

legendz
06/06/2011, 10:16 PM
Croatia's a good choice. I've been a critic of McShambles but he deserves to get the nod for this game and the honour of captaining his country. I hope he can cap it with a goal.

BonnieShels
06/06/2011, 11:05 PM
Non, that was SvD that said that.

Cheers. I spend more time on here on mobile than on PC so I never get to see avatars.

tommy_c12000
06/06/2011, 11:08 PM
Just after arranging a sneaky date for 2moro nite, totally forgot about the game at the time (Perhaps it was my subconscious getting me out of having to endure it who knows). I could hardly justify pulling out of the date for the sake of the game now could I? Would be worth watching the game alone to see a fired up McShane leading us onto the pitch with those steely eyes and the captain's armband wrapped tightly around his arm

backstothewall
06/06/2011, 11:17 PM
---------------- Forde ----------------
Foley ---- Kelly --- St Ledger ---- Ward
Lawrence -- Whelan -- Andrews -- Hunt
----------- Long ----- Keogh ----------

Would be good to Ward tested against top class opposition, andto see Keogh in Keanes role. Looking forward to it.

BonnieShels
07/06/2011, 1:16 AM
Just after arranging a sneaky date for 2moro nite, totally forgot about the game at the time (Perhaps it was my subconscious getting me out of having to endure it who knows). I could hardly justify pulling out of the date for the sake of the game now could I? Would be worth watching the game alone to see a fired up McShane leading us onto the pitch with those steely eyes and the captain's armband wrapped tightly around his arm

A sneaky date?

You going stalking?