PDA

View Full Version : Club Website

ped_ped
04/06/2011, 2:19 PM
404 - File or directory not found.
The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Know it's not important but for the occasional press release, but anyone else having trouble with limerickfc.ie?

Jofspring
04/06/2011, 4:56 PM
I was having the same problem when going to it from a bookmark but when I just type in www.limerickfc.ie in the web address bar the website works.

ped_ped
04/06/2011, 5:28 PM
Same but when I actually click into the 'Enter Limerick FC website!' bit, same thing happens.

Ah I suppose it's only temporary either way.

redron
04/06/2011, 7:12 PM
Know it's not important but for the occasional press release, but anyone else having trouble with limerickfc.ie?
404 - File or directory not found.

The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

I was having the same problem when going to it from a bookmark but when I just type in www.limerickfc.ie (http://www.limerickfc.ie) in the web address bar the website works.

Same but when I actually click into the 'Enter Limerick FC website!' bit, same thing happens.

Ah I suppose it's only temporary either way.

The club recently changed web host, so it's probably a DNS cache issue.
The "internet" is aware that the website has changed IP address, but your web browser is a little behind the times!
(A URL (web address) is just an alias for the website's real address, which is a series of four numbers separated by dots (an IP address - e.g. your broadband router's address is probably http://192.168.1.254 ).)
All that's happened here is that the old service provider has taken down their copy of the club's website. But your web browser is still trying to access it at the old IP address instead of the new one.

Which browser are you using?
Firefox should handle it fine, but Internet Explorer and Chrome might have a few problems.
In most browsers, when you type the URL into the address bar it will attempt to contact the server to download the latest version of that webpage. But sometimes it just shows you the version of the page that it downloaded to the cache folder on your computer the last time you refreshed that page.
Try holding down the SHIFT key while clicking on your browser's Refresh/Reload button. I know this definitely works in Firefox - it forces the browser to download a fresh version of the page from the server.

If you're really desparate for the latest information from the club, you can always clear your cache/browsing history from the options menu. This will force your browser to access the webpages directly from the server and gradually build up a new cache.
FYI, web browsers use tricks like this to try to convince you that they load pages from the web faster. But all they are doing is loading the most recently stored version of the page from the cache on your hard drive.

ped_ped
04/06/2011, 8:51 PM
Yup, that did the job, redron! Cheers :)