PDA

View Full Version : Frei could miss Ireland game!!!

eirebhoy
21/06/2004, 12:15 PM
Frei has been banned for tonights France match for spitting on Gerrard. Nothing has been said about the lenght of time of the suspension just yet. There is no video evidence so he might get away with a 1 or 2 match ban but if he gets the same as Totti, a 3 match ban, he will miss the Ireland match in September. :)

Junior
21/06/2004, 12:34 PM
I didnt realise that the ban went in to the next competitive games (outside euro04)

Heres hoping for a gobfest tonight, particularly from Pires, Henri, Zidane, Thuram, Makele etc.......:D :D

finlma
21/06/2004, 12:38 PM
Frei has been banned for tonights France match for spitting on Gerrard. Nothing has been said about the lenght of time of the suspension just yet. There is no video evidence so he might get away with a 1 or 2 match ban but if he gets the same as Totti, a 3 match ban, he will miss the Ireland match in September. :)

From the footage shown on tv it definitely looks like he spat at Gerard so he deserves at least a 3 game suspension. I don't know how Totti was only given 3 games, it should be more.
It would be great if Frei is out for the qualifiers.

eirebhoy
21/06/2004, 12:47 PM
I didnt realise that the ban went in to the next competitive games (outside euro04)

Heres hoping for a gobfest tonight, particularly from Pires, Henri, Zidane, Thuram, Makele etc.......:D :D
It won't make much difference as it looks like France will be playing at least 1 more game. :) Yellow cards are wiped out after the group stages. I'm actually not sure if Rooney got another yellow card tonight and England were knocked out whether he'd be banned for the first qualifier, probably not. I got this from the Star:

Meanwhile, Alexander Frei will be available to play for Switzerland against Ireland in the World Cup qualifier in Basel in September. Frei was yesterday cleared of spitting at England's Steven Gerrard

UEFA appealed against the decision and the case has been reopened after new pictures were found.

I just found out that he isn't actually banned yet, the Swizz FA decided to pull him out of tonights match as they feel he'll be given a lighter ban if found guilty.

Volltreffer
21/06/2004, 2:45 PM
Representatives of the Swiss team now refuse to communicate with Swiss television, who showed the new evidence yesterday after the UEFA decision. What a bunch of arrogant, stubborn idiots!

I don't care what the result will be tonight and how long Frei will be banned. This is all so much more disappointing than any defeat on the pitch.

At least there is some respect left - for our journalists who did their job the way they're supposed to.

brine2
21/06/2004, 4:04 PM
He's been given a 15 day ban.

Volltreffer
21/06/2004, 4:12 PM
For the time being ...

In Switzerland they say it might well be 6 games.

1MickCollins
23/06/2004, 11:37 PM
UEFA want to ban him for 5 games, Totti got 3 for admitting he spat, Frei would get an extra 2 for denying it.

To be honest it seems odd that you can almost end a guys career with a vicious tacke and maybe get a 3 game ban but one little loogie gets you the same punishment?

tiktok
24/06/2004, 7:11 AM
...and Stam and Davids both get three months for failing a drugs test, while Rio gets eight for missing one.

Can someone remind me if the Dutch FA and English FA supported Sepp Blatter last election campaign, I know one of them did..
Guess which one it was? :mad:

UEFA is run by a lot of idiots and politicians, some of them downright corrupt

onenilgameover
02/07/2004, 12:06 AM
I know its not spitting....but have we all forgotten Kinsella lashing that water bottle at one of the Swiss players....Its sad to say but its the only thing that anyone on that team did to convince me that they actually cared that night. However we shouldn't jump at the chance of getting Frei thrown out of the game we should beat these lot with their best side out because were better than them and it hurt like hell in Basle!!!!!!

only1kilbane
02/07/2004, 10:18 AM
yeah would rather play them with a full side they are deffo beatable and the form we seem to be in its looking good. NOt a big fan of keane but at least he will instill some fight back into the team and we will not go down without a fight. cant have another night like that in basel with agadoo ringing in my ears !

Closed Account 2
02/07/2004, 3:02 PM
im really starting to have a grudge against the Swiss after last time and then them doing so badly, plus all of the comments their manager has made...

I hope we beat them away and give them the mother of all hidings in Dublin its been a while since we humiliated a team and after Kuhn(t)'s comments I'd love it if we turned them over. Were better than the Swiss and if they finish ahead and go thru to Germany then they'll have made 3 tournaments in a row (Portugal 2004, Germany 2006, and Euro 2008 (hosts) ) they are not a decent side and them making 3 in a row would be a joke. We should beat them with or without this Frei clown. I hope he is banned, spitting is disgusting and then pretending he didnt is just plain cheeky, I doubt he will as UEFA are very pro-Swiss. If he was then it would be Vonlanten (who seemed q.good) and Capuisat (whos old and crap) upfront for them, we could beat them easily if that was the case.

only1kilbane
03/07/2004, 2:15 PM
Chapuisat has now retired so they will be quite stuck up front . Hakin Yakin there best player had a very indifferent tournament and hopefully should be marked out of the game. Really can see us doing them over home and away. Really would love us to give them a good beating over in basel though will take a 1-0 !

KCFC Bohs
15/07/2004, 4:47 PM
And today he has been banned, for 3 games :D Means he'll miss the Basle game.
http://www.uefa.com/competitions/WorldCup/news/Kind=1/newsId=207851.html

eirebhoy
15/07/2004, 6:26 PM
I just seen that. That means we won't have to face Switzerland's striking partnership of Chapuisat (retired) and Frei. :)

BTW, he only has 2 matches to serve after he missed the French match.

Volltreffer
15/07/2004, 6:41 PM
That's no surprise.

I find this much more disappointing:
"The Appeals Body also decided there was no evidence of a disciplinary infringement on the part of the Swiss Football Association."

Almost everyone in Switzerland believes that the Swiss delegation told Frei to lie before "dropping him like a hot potato" when the new evidence appeared.

Bowsy
16/07/2004, 8:59 AM
Would like to think we are the better side even if the Swiss put out their full team but am happy Frei won't be available. Always looks like Switzerland's biggest threat along with Yakin(when he's up for it).

Think he would have got 3 game ban anyway even without the lying. A bit tight by the Swiss FA if they have treated Frei like that. Make the FAI look good if that's possible.

Volltreffer
16/07/2004, 1:47 PM
They couldn't give him less that Totti, so a 3 match ban is OK.

In my eyes the fact that it is not more shows that there were doubts concerning the role of the Swiss Football Association.

Metrostars
16/07/2004, 1:56 PM
That young kid they used up front for their last Euro game looked pretty good.

Volltreffer
16/07/2004, 4:40 PM
You mean Johan Vonlanthen. With Frei banned for two more games and Streller out for a few more months, things look good for him.

Volltreffer
30/07/2004, 6:06 PM
Alex Frei today publicly (in the press and on his personal homepage) apologized for his spitting (and only for spitting). He further decided to sponsor the lamas at Basel zoo with an annual CHF 700. :D (You can sponsor any animal at Basel zoo - the bigger, the more expensive.)

Daxion
02/08/2004, 4:13 PM
Alex Frei today publicly (in the press and on his personal homepage) apologized for his spitting (and only for spitting). He further decided to sponsor the lamas at Basel zoo with an annual CHF 700. :D (You can sponsor any animal at Basel zoo - the bigger, the more expensive.)
Why did he sponsor the Llamas, are they notorious spitters? :D

Volltreffer
02/08/2004, 5:01 PM
Clever man!