PDA

View Full Version : Macedonia V Republic of Ireland - Saturday, 4th June 2011 - Euro 2012 Qualifier

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Noelys Guitar
29/05/2011, 10:40 PM
Starting eleven likely to be

Given
McShane, O'Shea O'Dea Kilbane
Lawerence Whelan Gibson McGeady
Keane Long

I believe that is going to be Trap's starting eleven

Charlie Darwin
29/05/2011, 10:43 PM
I don't think you can say Sledge is likely considering he hasn't played any football in months. I think O'Dea will play if fit and Delaney otherwise. I hope O'Shea's absence from Manchester United's team yesterday was tactical and not enforced by injury.

Don't think Lawrence will start and may not make the bench. McGeady is a certainty with Hunt on the opposite side. Andrews will definitely start, hopefully with Whelan. I think Kilbane is more likely to start but I think Ward has ticked all the boxes in the last two games and Trap trusts him.

Noelys Guitar
29/05/2011, 10:46 PM
I don't think you can say Sledge is likely considering he hasn't played any football in months. I think O'Dea will play if fit and Delaney otherwise. I hope O'Shea's absence from Manchester United's team yesterday was tactical and not enforced by injury.

Don't think Lawrence will start and may not make the bench. McGeady is a certainty with Hunt on the opposite side. Andrews will definitely start, hopefully with Whelan. I think Kilbane is more likely to start but I think Ward has ticked all the boxes in the last two games and Trap trusts him.

I have changed it to O'Dea because your probably right about St Ledger not being fit enough. I would play Hunt ahead of Lawerence and Foley and Ward ahead of McShane and Kilbane but I don't believe Trapatonni will. And I can't see Andrews starting ahead of Gibson.

ArdeeBhoy
29/05/2011, 11:06 PM

Given
Lawrence Whelan Gibson McGeady
Keane Long

Sadly, you're probably right.

Sullivinho
29/05/2011, 11:11 PM
Given
McShane - O'Shea - O'Dea - Kilbane/Ward
McGeady - Andrews - Whelan - Hunt
Long - Keane

That would be my prediction. I don't know which way Trap would lean re Kilbane and Ward. For a long time Ward wasn't even making the squad but he's done well enough these past two games. Andrews has probably done enough in the same time to remind Trap why he liked him to begin with. I imagine it would have been Gibson starting otherwise. I'm never confident in McShane but we are where we are. I wouldn't be too enthusiastic should the injury permutations lead to Kelly starting the middle either. Hopefully Long comes through the playoff unscathed (and victorious) tomorrow.

backstothewall
29/05/2011, 11:20 PM
I reckon

------------ Given ------------
Foley Kelly O'Shea Ward
McGeady Andrews Whelan Hunt
--------- Keane Long ---------

Hibs4Ever
29/05/2011, 11:25 PM

Given
Lawerence Whelan Gibson McGeady
Keane Long

Stephen Kelly will start I reckon

Charlie Darwin
29/05/2011, 11:37 PM
I reckon

------------ Given ------------
Foley Kelly O'Shea Ward
McGeady Andrews Whelan Hunt
--------- Keane Long ---------
I don't think it'll be Kelly and O'Shea. Even though O'Shea is comfortable on his left foot, I think he'll go with a genuine southpaw beside him, meaning either O'Dea or Delaney.

IsMiseSean
29/05/2011, 11:41 PM
I'd like to see Kelly at CB but I reckon he'll pick O'Dea with JOSH
McShane & Kilbane at FB even though I'd pick Foley at RB
I think the midfield will be McGeady Whelan Andrews & Hunt
Keane & Long upfront

backstothewall
29/05/2011, 11:48 PM
I reckon Kelly based on him starting both CNC games, and playing all 180 minutes at centre back. Foley because he is the man in possession from the last Macedonia game but the full backs are guesses really. Trap could easily go with Killer and Johan McShane

Dunners
29/05/2011, 11:48 PM
Given
Foley O'Shea O'Dea Ward
Coleman Andrews Whelan McGeady
Keane Long

Kingdom
29/05/2011, 11:54 PM
What I'd pick:
---------------------Given-----------------------

Foley---------JOSH---------Delaney--------Ward

McGeady-------Whelan-----Fahey--------Treacy

---------Keane---------------Cox------------

Forde, O'Dea, Kilbane, Gibson, Hunt, Long, Andrews

What I expect:

---------------------Given-----------------------

McShane---------JOSH---------O'Dea--------Kilbane

McGeady-------Whelan---Andrews--------Hunt

---------Keane---------------Long------------

Forde, Kelly, Foley, Gibson, Lawrence, Cox, Keogh

mastershake
30/05/2011, 12:31 AM
http://www.build.mk/docs/users/1/Proekti/Sportski/Nacionalna%20Arena/Arena%20Filip%20Vtori%203001.jpg

Something else which should be noted is that their national stadium has under gone a major revamp and is now a fairly sharpish looking ground.The re-opening is against us so we should expect a boisterous evening.

Charlie Darwin
30/05/2011, 12:36 AM
That is very nice. Could do without the running track though.

CraftyToePoke
30/05/2011, 12:44 AM
That is very nice. Could do without the running track though.

Impressive looking stadium, better than looking like one side of it is missing, like the Aviva.

ArdeeBhoy
30/05/2011, 1:55 AM
Is it on the site of the old one?
Gary Spain mentioned it in another thread.

The problem last time wasn't the ground, but the place overall....

Expecting a draw at best. They're not great, but far better, than say Armenia.

Noelys Guitar
30/05/2011, 1:58 AM
Does anyone know the exact situation regarding St Ledger? Is he completely ruled out? Why was he a sub today?

boovidge
30/05/2011, 2:19 AM
They're not great, but far better, than say Armenia.

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on the Armenian and Macedonian sides but the results of the group don't seem to support your assertion there?

Sullivinho
30/05/2011, 2:34 AM
Is it on the site of the old one?

Expansion. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_II_Arena#Reconstruction_and_expansion) Same place, bigger capacity.

Whoever among us can get through saturday night with nerves unshredded should be venerated for their cucumber like qualities.

Some good news: Goran Stavrevski is retired and can't hurt us anymore.

the doc
30/05/2011, 9:19 AM
Does anyone know the exact situation regarding St Ledger? Is he completely ruled out? Why was he a sub today?

From what I'm told he's recovered from the knee Injury, if he gets through training next week then theres a good chance he will play in Macedonia.

Match fitness would be a concern, so who knows, maybe better to play safe and play one of the other players who featured in the recent Cetlic Cup games.

ArdeeBhoy
30/05/2011, 9:34 AM
I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on the Armenian and Macedonian sides but the results of the group don't seem to support your assertion there?

They're at home and are far more experienced than Armenia, going up against them with what I would say is far from our strongest team.
And Trap's less than expansive tactics.

geysir
30/05/2011, 10:25 AM
We could suffer the post tournament hangover deflationary blues in Macedonia.

drummerboy
30/05/2011, 10:29 AM
The team I'd like to see

Given
Foley - Kelly - O'Shea - Ward
McGeady - Gibson - Fahey - Hunt
Long - Keane

Subs Forde - O'Dea - McShane - Andrews - Lawrence - Cox

Don't see the point of taking a risk with St Ledger who hasn't played in months

geysir
30/05/2011, 10:42 AM
For me, the Scotland game raised more questions rather than get closer to the answers.

CH Who will partner Josh? O'Dea? subbed. Kelly - motm?? Delaney not used, not even as a replacement, St Ledger prob not fit.
RB Will Ward dislodge KK? Not really a huge issue right now
CM Who will partner Whelan? nobody really stands out.
LM Probably Hunt by default

RB, McShane made the best claim for a starting place and looks to have the management on his side.

elroy
30/05/2011, 10:42 AM
The team I'd like to see

Given
Foley - Kelly - O'Shea - Ward
McGeady - Gibson - Fahey - Hunt
Long - Keane

Subs Forde - O'Dea - McShane - Andrews - Lawrence - Cox

Don't see the point of taking a risk with St Ledger who hasn't played in months

Not sure what to make of Fahey in CM really, thought he was quite poor there last night.

We saw from the home game V Macedonia was effect a lack of match fitness can have....ie Richie D for their goal, so as much as I would love to see Sledge play, I think its best he doesnt. Vital that JOSH is fit however.

Duggie
30/05/2011, 10:51 AM
id go for

------------------------Given------------------------------
Foley----------O'Shea-----------St Ledger(o'Dea)------Ward

McGeady---------Andrews------------Whelan----------------Hunt

-----------------Keane-----------------Long-----------------------

Ward at LB, good left foot, kilbane makes to many mistakes now for me.
If St Ledger is fit id play him, O'Dea scares me every time i see him. looks clumsy.
Andrews and Whelan to shore up midfield with hunt and mcgeady running the wings.
easy upfront with long and keano to start. id be happy enough with this barring any more injuries.

Yard of Pace
30/05/2011, 10:52 AM
I've a knot in my stomach about this game already and it's only Monday.

For what it's worth I don't think there's any chance Ward would be pitched in to his first competitive international away to Macedonia with Kilbane fit and in the squad.

Kingdom
30/05/2011, 11:00 AM

For what it's worth I don't think there's any chance Ward would be pitched in to his first competitive international away to Macedonia with Kilbane fit and in the squad.

The old fool has surprised us before....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_St_Ledger

Noelys Guitar
30/05/2011, 11:34 AM

And its only going to get worse YoP. With so many injuries and a suspension this is going to be a very long week. 3 points will be the only cure.

geysir
30/05/2011, 11:36 AM
Even if you have a wall of confidence now, it will crumble by Friday.

elroy
30/05/2011, 11:43 AM
Keane mentioned in an interview on Sat that Duff is bursting a gut to try and get fit for the game on Sat. There seems to be very little talk about it, but I presumed that he was defo out.

As regards nerves, oh god stop but sometimes with Ireland under Trap I am more assured with us away from home than at home. Being realistic we need to win there dont we?!?! Actually Russia won there so then yes we do.

Yard of Pace
30/05/2011, 11:51 AM
Keane mentioned in an interview on Sat that Duff is bursting a gut to try and get fit for the game on Sat. There seems to be very little talk about it, but I presumed that he was defo out.

He did indeed....I haven't seen any follow up on this anywhere. Having Duffer available would ease my nerves somewhat.

Duggie
30/05/2011, 11:58 AM
He did indeed....I haven't seen any follow up on this anywhere. Having Duffer available would ease my nerves somewhat.

no he didnt mean for this particular game, he meant in general hes busting a gut to get fit again and would love to be here. it was more a pointing to the face hed do anything he could to be here.

Sullivinho
30/05/2011, 12:05 PM

Breaking news: Duff ruled out with ruptured gut. ;)

That'd be one heck of a pleasant surprise but the last we heard he was having achilles tendon surgery (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/13285280.stm) and wasn't expected to be fit until late June.

Noelys Guitar
30/05/2011, 12:06 PM
Going by Trapatonni's comments after the game O'Dea is definetely playing. Interestingly he said O'Shea, Whelan and McGeady would be "stepping in". No mention of Gibson or Kilbane which suggests Andrews will start alongside Whelan and possibly Ward to start at left back.

Duggie
30/05/2011, 12:17 PM
ward is a premier league footballer, no reason he cant be put in IMO. could be good for set pieces aswell. i thought robbie has looked really sharp in the last 2 games so i think if he gets a chance he will tuck it away sat night.

Sullivinho
30/05/2011, 12:26 PM
Going by Trapatonni's comments after the game O'Dea is definetely playing.

He looked cumbersome at times last night, mistiming one recovery tackle badly. Maybe he's not 100% fit but you'd worry about some crafty operator like Pandev going at him.

i thought robbie has looked really sharp in the last 2 games so i think if he gets a chance he will tuck it away sat night.

I know he's always enjoyed putting them away and the opposition wasn't up to much but there seemed to be a renewed goalscoring vigor about him last week. Looked very hungry. I fancy him to get his 50th saturday night too.

BonnieShels
30/05/2011, 12:29 PM
And its only going to get worse YoP. With so many injuries and a suspension this is going to be a very long week. 3 points will be the only cure.

I was doing fine til Ye opened yer mouths!

geysir
30/05/2011, 1:24 PM
Fire and brimstone have nothing on Noely's pre match nerves.

DeLorean
30/05/2011, 1:38 PM
No chance would I start Gibson for this one, or any one if I'm being honest. We will need some hard graft to come out of this place with a win. Andrews throws his weight around more than most for us and we know that Trap will start Whelan. I would also start McGeady on the left, he is generally ineffective on the right so, for balance, I would probably play Lawrence there. Stephen Hunt is more of an impact sub anyway. I think O'Dea has the makings of an excellent centre back but he is seriously error prone at the moment. He is still relatively young and hasn't much played, for club or country.

BonnieShels
30/05/2011, 1:39 PM
And the thing us Geysir, he's taking the lot of us down with him. We'll be quivering wrecks come Saturday.

Can't wait. :)

Crosby87
30/05/2011, 1:41 PM
Does Macedonia have any suspensions/injuries?

drummerboy
30/05/2011, 1:43 PM
I think O'Dea has the makings of an excellent centre back but he is seriously error prone at the moment. He is still relatively young and hasn't much played, for club or country.

In fairness to O'Dea he started over 20 games for Ipswich this season.

Duggie
30/05/2011, 1:44 PM
judging by the pics on sportsfile, st ledger is training today anyway....

http://www.sportsfile.com/more-images/1105255/

DeLorean
30/05/2011, 2:07 PM
In fairness to O'Dea he started over 20 games for Ipswich this season.

I meant in his career overall. Even for a 24 year old he has very little played. A sub more often than not at Celtic, he is very inexperienced yet.

Sullivinho
30/05/2011, 2:19 PM
Does Macedonia have any suspensions/injuries?

"The Macedonian coach made several changes from the last squad that faced Ireland away and lost 2:1. No call for midfielders Darko Tasevski and Slavco Georgievski, defender Igor Mitreski and striker Stevica Ristić who is injured. Again Jonuz showed his stubborness after didn't call any right back so most probably central defender Vance Sikov will be forced to sacrifice himself."

Source. (http://www.macedonianfootball.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2913:jonuz-announced-the-squad-for-the-ireland-game&catid=13:international&Itemid=64)

Charlie Darwin
30/05/2011, 3:00 PM
One of the journalists (can't remember which) tweeted that Sledge and Whelan were training alone today. Which shows he's at least approaching fitness.

Murfinator
30/05/2011, 3:08 PM

As regards nerves, oh god stop but sometimes with Ireland under Trap I am more assured with us away from home than at home. Being realistic we need to win there dont we?!?! Actually Russia won there so then yes we do.

Wouldn't put it past Duffer at all, the guys commitment is legendary. Would expect 99% of other footballers in his position to be off on their holidays now.

Duggie
30/05/2011, 3:18 PM
One of the journalists (can't remember which) tweeted that Sledge and Whelan were training alone today. Which shows he's at least approaching fitness.

http://www.sportsfile.com/winshare/watermarked-b/Library/SF720/521181.jpg

Stuttgart88
30/05/2011, 3:32 PM
It'd be a huge risk to pick Sledge for his first game since February.

It'd be a huge risk to play O'Dea though. Or Kelly. Or McShane. Or even Foley. Or Ward. Or Kilbane.

Jeez, our defensive options are all scary! I have faith in none of them to go through a game without committing a game changing error.