PDA

View Full Version : Macedonia V Republic of Ireland - Saturday, 4th June 2011 - Euro 2012 Qualifier

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Stuttgart88
04/06/2011, 9:26 AM
Typing from a train on my mobile. can someone please do the decent thing and address professional miserabilist david kelly's article in today's indo, his latest irish self-loathing instalment? if you don't like international football, don't write about it.

Bottle of Tonic
04/06/2011, 9:33 AM
Cheers S88, I was going to pull up Tets on that one as it is definitely not how I feel about the current Ireland team.

Given the kind of nation we are I feel sacrificing the expansive, sexy football we'd all love to see for organisation, solidity, team-and-result uber alles is prudent. We are not Holland or Spain who can fling any 11 on the park and play great stuff. The way we play is probably the quickest route to 'relative success at int level, a totally different game to club football, so I'm happy to see Trap continue with this.

In light of that I find AB's and Tommy's negativity a little tiring though I will wholeheartedly agree AB that second is nothing, the play offs are indeed the 'feck offs' and world football is a sham (way before the current fifa/blatter nonsense). But that is another debate!

ArdeeBhoy
04/06/2011, 9:33 AM
Or is he saying we are so crap, we'd be doing well to get a draw?

Pretty much.
As for the Indo' being a reliable source of info' or opinion, we should know better by now....

ArdeeBhoy
04/06/2011, 9:39 AM
Given the kind of nation we are I feel sacrificing the expansive, sexy football we'd all love to see for organisation, solidity, team-and-result uber alles is prudent. We are not Holland or Spain who can fling any 11 on the park and play great stuff. The way we play is probably the quickest route to 'relative success at int level, a totally different game to club football, so I'm happy to see Trap continue with this.

In light of thatI find AB's and Tommy's negativity a little tiring though I will wholeheartedly agree AB that second is nothing, the play offs are indeed the 'feck offa' and world football is a sham (way before the current fifa/blatter nonsense). But that is another debate!

Except I don't think we are that organized. Or solid.
Effort, sometimes, is our greatest virtue.

And Holland;'great stuff'. Did you see last year's World Cup Final??

DannyInvincible
04/06/2011, 9:41 AM
Given wants a win: http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/sport/given-aiming-for-holiday-boost-2666494.html

Anything less, and he says the players will be "seething for the whole Summer".

DannyInvincible
04/06/2011, 9:45 AM
Is David Kelly's article online yet? I can't seem to find it if it is.

Edit: Not to worry. geysir has just posted it in the eligibility thread.

geysir
04/06/2011, 10:06 AM
To save a trawl because his article is not worth a trawl.
More Kelly muck (http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/slow-death-of-international-football-2666245.html)

Bottle of Tonic
04/06/2011, 10:16 AM
Except I don't think we are that organized. Or solid.
Effort, sometimes, is our greatest virtue.

And Holland;'great stuff'. Did you see last year's World Cup Final??

We are organised and solid. You being a hoops man I'll refernce Celtic and the change of management for Starchan to Mowbray. We were dull and often looked poor under Stracahan but in hindsight the organisation and solidity was the strong point.

And ya I saw Holland. That game was a one off I think where they tried anything to
defeat the possession football of Spain.

geysir
04/06/2011, 10:19 AM
An expanded piece covering Robbie's trauma (his pain is our pain threefold) in the Examiner.

"I actually did it on Wednesday (the day before the team left Dublin)," he explained. "I was doing a bit of shooting practice after training and I felt my groin a small bit. Then I trained again on Thursday morning and it was gradually getting worse. But I’ve had treatment since it happened and it feels a lot better now.

"I think I’ll be okay. Look, I haven’t been 100% since I was about 17 (laughs) with various niggles and then these injuries the last few months but I’ve carried on through that. A little groin strain is not going to stop me now. Will I take a painkiller? If required. It’s not an injury that is going to put me out for months and months. It’s muscular. I’ll see how it is, obviously but, rest assured, I’ll be on that pitch."

Lionel Ritchie
04/06/2011, 10:23 AM
nasty article alright -calls to mind the 'letter sent' warrior in the Daily Mail last summer complaining about the bbcs televising of tedious group games involving 'bongo-bongo-land' countries.

link (http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/the-staggers/2010/06/soviet-republic-letter-bongo)

DannyInvincible
04/06/2011, 10:26 AM
Will Robbie make it through 90 minutes? That must be a concern.

ArdeeBhoy
04/06/2011, 10:34 AM
We are organised and solid. You being a hoops man I'll refernce Celtic and the change of management for Starchan to Mowbray. We were dull and often looked poor under Stracahan but in hindsight the organisation and solidity was the strong point.

And ya I saw Holland. That game was a one off I think where they tried anything to
defeat the possession football of Spain.

Hmm, would agree about Strachan (cf.Mowbray, but not anyone else.). But not about Holland in the last World Cup.

Take a draw later, especially if Armenia were to scramble one in Russia.
Just can't see us winning, all things considered.

Will Robbie make it through 90 minutes? That must be a concern.

Happy enough if Cox and Long end up front together for the last half-an-hour, though previously it's only ever been for Reading reserves, 5 years ago?
:eek:

bennocelt
04/06/2011, 10:51 AM
I agree with most of that Kelly article - oh wait Im in the wrong forum!:p

Noelys Guitar
04/06/2011, 10:58 AM
Please, no more posts on that pseudo half-wit in the Indo he is just a wind up merchant. For the O'Reilly rag to print such an article on the day of a crucial match speaks volumes. Lacrosse is an up and coming sport. No Blatter's there. Go cover that. Now back to the serious stuff. Up early and not a great nights sleep. Anticipation rather than nerves and still seeing a 1-0 for Ireland. Meet the lads or watch in house. I've even been checking the weather to make sure there are no manic storms coming that are going to knock out the electricity. I can see us getting a peno in this game with McGeady, Cox and Keane all capable of keeping the ball close to their feet and darting into the box. Some of our free kicks under Trap have been really well thought out and that is another avenue for a goal. As always the best way to keep them from attacking us is for players like McGEady to run the show. Give him the ball and let him weave his magic.

DannyInvincible
04/06/2011, 12:00 PM
This thread's been quieter than I expected this afternoon. Pre-match nerves? Everyone at the pub in Skopje?

boovidge
04/06/2011, 12:18 PM
One nil to the BIG. Cox to score in the first half.

tetsujin1979
04/06/2011, 12:21 PM
It was a great post by Tets and there are naysayers like that, but in fairness BoT is saying we are quite good, but not playing good football. I think that's credit to everyone involved. I thought we were sh1te in the second half against Scotland and we have been in other games we have won (30-40 mins against Macedonia), and lost (Norway - after 20 mins to the end) too. We play well in spells, but only in spells. I think this team has it in them to play well for longer than that. Moral courage...

Cheers S88, I was going to pull up Tets on that one as it is definitely not how I feel about the current Ireland team.

In light of that I find AB's and Tommy's negativity a little tiring though I will wholeheartedly agree AB that second is nothing, the play offs are indeed the 'feck offs' and world football is a sham (way before the current fifa/blatter nonsense). But that is another debate!
Reread your post this morning BottleOfTonic, clearly I got the wrong end of the stick, but I stand by my rant, and something I've said here before, how long does Trapattoni have to be "lucky" before he actually gets good?

Something else that occurred to me, those who are up in arms about Cox starting ahead of Long, how many are advocating Ward ahead of Kilbane?

tommy_c12000
04/06/2011, 12:27 PM
In light of that I find AB's and Tommy's negativity a little tiring

If you took the time to properly read my opinion on the team selection, I stated that I was relatively happy with the team selection. I merely was stating that if I was in Trap's position I would have selected a slightly different team justifying it with very simple and sound reasons. I would have Foley in for Kelly (Foley yet to play a game in 2011), St Ledger in for O'Dea (less of a risk than O'Dea all things considered), and Long in for Cox (23 versus 1 goal).

Whereupon I was attacked from all angles, I felt like I was Ratko Mladic facing the mob in the Hague. Apologies for having and expressing an opinion that did not concur with the masses.

Also, if you think that "negativity" is predicting a 1-0 win to Ireland and wishing the boy's all the very best of luck then that's your own perogative

tetsujin1979
04/06/2011, 12:28 PM
Will Robbie make it through 90 minutes? That must be a concern.Another reason for starting Long on the bench, he's a more able replacement for Keane than Cox

tommy_c12000
04/06/2011, 12:40 PM
Ah Trap has cleared everything up now with regard to Kelly's selection over McShane and Foley at RB.

From today's Irish Times:

"Kelly, said Trapattoni, gets the nod over Paul McShane in part because he has more pace, to counter the threat of Bajram Fetai, a quick winger who had been drafted in specifically to get at the Hull full-back. But even as the manager explained this, the Macedonian translator sitting a few feet to his right politely mentioned that Fetai is injured."

geysir
04/06/2011, 12:40 PM
Another reason for starting Long on the bench, he's a more able replacement for Keane than Cox

Tets, are you saying that your preferred front duo is Cox and Keane or Long?

tetsujin1979
04/06/2011, 1:00 PM
Tets, are you saying that your preferred front duo is Cox and Keane or Long?I said before that Keane and Long are too similar players to be an effective partnership. In the current squad, I can understand why Trapattoni has started with Cox, but preferably, I'd always start with one of Doyle/Walters/Cox/Best and one of Keane/Long/Stokes/Hunt, in that order of preference
Haven't seen enough of Sammon to say which role he'd be best suited to in the current set up and Keogh seems to play more of an out and out striker than a target man, despite his obvious height advantage

SwanVsDalton
04/06/2011, 1:15 PM
and Keogh seems to play more of an out and out striker than a target man, despite his obvious height advantage

Never thought Keogh was particularly tall?

shakermaker1982
04/06/2011, 1:39 PM
Never thought Keogh was particularly tall?

He's not. But standing 6ft tall is classified as a giant when stood next to our squad of midgets!!!

shakermaker1982
04/06/2011, 1:46 PM
I think we'll find a way of winning tonight. Scrappy 1 nil win would be perfect for me. Win tonight & draw out in Russia & we'll be going to Poland/Ukraine.

If McGeady plays well I think we'll be ok. Hunt needs to play with some composure & not go mad early on.

Murfinator
04/06/2011, 2:12 PM
To save a trawl because his article is not worth a trawl.
More Kelly muck (http://http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/slow-death-of-international-football-2666245.html)

I don't see the problem with this article, it seems fair. Negative, yes but the international scene in Ireland with both player commitment and fan support is anything but rosey.

"
Once Ireland's golden generation -- Shay Given (http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Shay_Given_%28footballer%29), Robbie Keane (http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Robbie_Keane), Richard Dunne (http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Richard_Dunne) -- shuffle into football retirement, will we care enough about the next raft of third-generation, Twitter twits who declare their interest in playing for Eire?
Keane (http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Keane%2C_Inc.) has certainly changed his tune on the issue, transforming the debate from his weasel-like attack of his country's supporters on the 'Late Late Show' a few years back to last week's stirring assault on Ireland's international ingrates."

Should Ireland lose tonight, another major championship will seem as distant a mirage as ever.
And, as Kelly averred, it will become even more difficult to maintain the dwindling support for the national team -- whoever is representing them. The stakes really are that high.
Those in particular are fair comments. I feel nothing but stirring passion when I think of Dunne, Given, Keane and Duff. And I'm increasingly feeling rage and embarrassment when I think of my team being represented by the likes of Gibson, McCarthey, Walters, Wilson. They're only one notch above Stephen Ireland at this stage.

SwanVsDalton
04/06/2011, 2:22 PM
I don't see the problem with this article, it seems fair. Negative, yes but the international scene in Ireland with both player commitment and fan support is anything but rosey.
Those in particular are fair comments. I feel nothing but stirring passion when I think of Dunne, Given, Keane and Duff. And I'm increasingly feeling rage and embarrassment when I think of my team being represented by the likes of Gibson, McCarthey, Walters, Wilson. They're only one notch above Stephen Ireland at this stage.

Gibson and Walters are legitimately injured by all accounts. Certainly Walters who was very vocal over his disappointment to miss out. With the other two it's a bit too murky to be overly dismissive, though I'd certainly be disappointed with them all told. Having said that I wouldn't throw around the Stevie Mancface comparison too quick.

DannyInvincible
04/06/2011, 2:27 PM
He's not. But standing 6ft tall is classified as a giant when stood next to our squad of midgets!!!

Who would have thought McShane was the same height? In saying that, I probably have that scene of McShane stretching to no avail with humongous Jan Koller by his side about to shoot and score irreparably imprinted on my subconscious.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42189000/jpg/_42189480_kollerequal416.jpg

Charlie Darwin
04/06/2011, 2:36 PM
Who would have thought McShane was the same height? In saying that, I probably have that scene of McShane stretching to no avail with humongous Jan Koller by his side about to shoot and score irreparably imprinted on my subconscious.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42189000/jpg/_42189480_kollerequal416.jpg
Now Dougal, Paul McShane is small... but Steven Kelly is far away.

Fixer82
04/06/2011, 3:17 PM
COME ON IRELAND!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77sLUChWPuQ

Bottle of Tonic
04/06/2011, 3:36 PM
If you took the time to properly read my opinion on the team selection, I stated that I was relatively happy with the team selection. I merely was stating that if I was in Trap's position I would have selected a slightly different team justifying it with very simple and sound reasons. I would have Foley in for Kelly (Foley yet to play a game in 2011), St Ledger in for O'Dea (less of a risk than O'Dea all things considered), and Long in for Cox (23 versus 1 goal).

Whereupon I was attacked from all angles, I felt like I was Ratko Mladic facing the mob in the Hague. Apologies for having and expressing an opinion that did not concur with the masses.

Also, if you think that "negativity" is predicting a 1-0 win to Ireland and wishing the boy's all the very best of luck then that's your own perogative

The negativity is a general thing-an all-pervading whinge about Trappers/Ireland, not this particular match. Of course you hope we win, you are an Ireland fan after all.

Damn this late kick off, been struggling to kill time all day

tricky_colour
04/06/2011, 4:48 PM
3-2 game on!!!

tricky_colour
04/06/2011, 4:49 PM
oh has he disallowed it?

tricky_colour
04/06/2011, 5:00 PM
oops wrong thread

DannyInvincible
04/06/2011, 5:01 PM
oops wrong thread

Was it lonely in here? :p

Royal rover
04/06/2011, 5:22 PM
can anyone post a link to watch the game - i'm abroad cheers

tricky_colour
04/06/2011, 5:23 PM
I wondered where everyone had gone! :o

tricky_colour
04/06/2011, 5:25 PM
can anyone post a link to watch the game - i'm abroad cheers

As Alan Partridge would say, "Gentlemen, chose your weapons!!"

http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=119135&part=sports

DannyInvincible
04/06/2011, 5:59 PM
Is the RTÉ online stream "ROI only"? I wasn't expecting it to be available worldwide or anything, but don't they show some events on an island-wide basis?

Edit: Actually, something to do with Sky possessing rights for the UK, I assume?

theworm2345
04/06/2011, 6:13 PM
Is the RTÉ online stream "ROI only"? I wasn't expecting it to be available worldwide or anything, but don't they show some events on an island-wide basis?

Edit: Actually, something to do with Sky possessing rights for the UK, I assume?
They have certain events that are ROI only, some that are Ireland only (like the GAA match on right now), and some that are Worldwide...the match is ROI only.

Stuttgart88
04/06/2011, 6:33 PM

Edit: Actually, something to do with Sky possessing rights for the UK, I assume?I thought the whole island was our "territory". I'm confused Ted. Let me read the CAS judgment again...

BonnieShels
04/06/2011, 6:43 PM
Spent all yesterday fretting over the game. Went out. Got messed up. And yet all I can do is think of the game. Now as it approaches kick off... my nerves are shot and I can't take it any more. Hurry up half 8!

Fergie's Son
04/06/2011, 6:45 PM
Bringing my boy to see his first mat h albeit in a pub in Chicago. Come in lads!!!

shakermaker1982
04/06/2011, 6:48 PM
Come on the boys in Green!

I hate the waiting. Wish I was at the game.

theworm2345
04/06/2011, 6:55 PM
Bringing my boy to see his first mat h albeit in a pub in Chicago. Come in lads!!!
Which pub you at?

Noelys Guitar
04/06/2011, 7:03 PM
Come ON IRELAND! Slovaks still 0-0. I don't care how we get the three points. Get the job done lads.

BonnieShels
04/06/2011, 7:09 PM
Come ON IRELAND! Slovaks still 0-0. I don't care how we get the three points. Get the job done lads.

If there's ever anything to send a pack of grown man into quivering wrecks its the build up to an Ireland game. Come ooooooooooooooooon!

tetsujin1979
04/06/2011, 7:09 PM
0-0 at half time Slovakia and Andorra

Philly
04/06/2011, 7:12 PM
http://magictv.co/

Great stream there if anybody needs it.

Charlie Darwin
04/06/2011, 7:23 PM
Panel is remarkably downbeat. I think we'll score twice - not sure how many Macedonia will get.