PDA

View Full Version : Macedonia V Republic of Ireland - Saturday, 4th June 2011 - Euro 2012 Qualifier

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15]

tetsujin1979
12/06/2011, 4:45 PM
it's on the cover of today's Sunday World, according to some posts on this thread on ybig.ie - http://www.ybig.ie/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30352&title=sunday-world-today - it's supposed to have been Paul McShane and Andy Keogh, although some of the later posts refute this

AlaskaFox
12/06/2011, 5:32 PM
The McShane and Keogh post was a joke comment, as the poster doesn't like either player and hopes they're kicked off the team. So to say it's either of them is totally unfounded.

DannyInvincible
12/06/2011, 7:13 PM
Yeah, that comment clearly wasn't to be read in seriousness. 'The GerK' - not sure who he is as I just skim through YBIG from time to time, but he appears to be with the media or in the know - claims that it wasn't two players but that "the two involved makes it an even better story". He then goes on to claim that "a senior player was decked", so I think we are to assume it was a dispute between a player and a member of the back-room staff. Although later: "Two players were involved, one who is single"; "a member of staff punched a senior player full force in the face, sending him to the ground, another player jumping in and a fight ensuing"; " if people knew who threw the dig, attitudes would change - fact". Maybe Trap would be a dark horse in the boxing ring?

Who knows? I'm sure arguments occur within squads all the time. That's what you'll get when you've a group of 20 or more testosterone-fuelled footballers together for two weeks. Is this really a big deal?

BonnieShels
12/06/2011, 7:16 PM
Not really. But won't stop the Sunday World trying their hardest to make it into.one.

SkStu
13/06/2011, 12:34 AM
which players were sent home after Macedonia again? :)

osarusan
13/06/2011, 4:26 AM
Who knows? I'm sure arguments occur within squads all the time. That's what you'll get when you've a group of 20 or more testosterone-fuelled footballers together for two weeks. Is this really a big deal?
No idea if it happened or not, but although arguments within a squad are pretty common I'd imagine, a staff member knocking a player down with a punch to the head is a pretty big deal.

gastric
13/06/2011, 7:35 AM
Continues to generate interest this supposed fracas!

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/fai-stays-silent-over-irish-player-punched-in-face-claim-2673005.html

And even more!

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/ireland-walking-a-drink-culture-tightrope-2672913.html

jbyrne
13/06/2011, 8:30 AM
as usual with this kind of report not a name in sight.
this kind of thing, if it actually happened, happens all the time with other high profile teams in other codes in the country (just ask a certain irish scrum half how he missed about 6 weeks of action recently) but never hits the papers but sure lets use an unsubstantiated nothing story, put it on front of a couple of papers and have another cheap dig at our national football squad. pathetic really

DannyInvincible
13/06/2011, 8:35 AM

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/fai-stays-silent-over-irish-player-punched-in-face-claim-2673005.html

And even more!

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/ireland-walking-a-drink-culture-tightrope-2672913.html

Looks like we've a national crisis on our hands then. :rolleyes:

Stuttgart88
13/06/2011, 8:47 AM
Well said jbyrne.

Usual football is crap, rugby players are saints bullsh1t.

The "Leon Best incident" was when he was injured, went to a nightclub and didn't drink alcohol.

I'm OK with people being apathetic towards the football team. I'm not OK with deliberate and persistent attempts to undermine it. Who penned the second Indo article linked above - Kelly?

gastric
13/06/2011, 8:50 AM
Jaysus lads feeling the heat here - just reporting the news!

DannyInvincible
13/06/2011, 8:52 AM
I assure you, my eye-roll was directed towards Kelly and whoever wrote the other piece; not the messenger. :)

Stuttgart88
13/06/2011, 9:19 AM
I assure you, my eye-roll was directed towards Kelly and whoever wrote the other piece; not the messenger. :)Same here

tetsujin1979
13/06/2011, 9:19 AM
Well said jbyrne.

Usual football is crap, rugby players are saints bullsh1t.

The "Leon Best incident" was when he was injured, went to a nightclub and didn't drink alcohol.

I'm OK with people being apathetic towards the football team. I'm not OK with deliberate and persistent attempts to undermine it. Who penned the second Indo article linked above - Kelly?
Mentioning the Leinster team in Kiely's in the same article skips over the loss to Munster in the Magner's League final 5 days later

Stuttgart88
13/06/2011, 9:24 AM
...where Marcus Horan cynically bodychecked BO'D off the ball, and minutes later went down like a big girl's blouse pretending he'd been hit in the face by a Leinster player, when nothing of the sort happened.

But it's all different in rugby.

AlaskaFox
13/06/2011, 9:29 AM

And even more!

That second article is scutter of the highest order. "optional Irish international Leon Best". Why the need for that? Best wasn't one of the recent no-excuse withdrawals.
(http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Leon_Best)

tetsujin1979
13/06/2011, 9:31 AM
and if they were on a "self-confessed late-night in Kiely's following their win" shouldn't the first question be "what time were you served until and was it after legal drinking hours?"

Crosby87
13/06/2011, 11:50 AM
Which night was this though? I can't believe they would be in a bar drinking the night before a crucial game like that. Am I stupid and nieve?

Fixer82
13/06/2011, 1:41 PM
Was it really necessary to put this bit in at the end?

High emotions between players and staff have been a feature of Irish football in recent years.

During the 2002 World Cup in Japan and South Korea, Roy Keane famously walked out following a spat with manager Mick McCarthy in Saipan over training conditions.

Stuttgart88
13/06/2011, 3:14 PM
Absolutely necessary. Assuming that the purpose of the article is to be as scurrilous as possible.

Yard of Pace
13/06/2011, 4:41 PM

High emotions between players and staff have been a feature of Irish football in recent years.

During the 2002 World Cup in Japan and South Korea, Roy Keane famously walked out following a spat with manager Mick McCarthy in Saipan over training conditions.

Thought the same myself! Silly stuff altogether.

Kingdom
13/06/2011, 5:08 PM
Yeah, that comment clearly wasn't to be read in seriousness. 'The GerK' - not sure who he is as I just skim through YBIG from time to time, but he appears to be with the media or in the know - claims that it wasn't two players but that "the two involved makes it an even better story".

He then goes on to claim that "a senior player was decked", so I think we are to assume it was a dispute between a player and a member of the back-room staff. Although later: "Two players were involved, one who is single"; "a member of staff punched a senior player full force in the face, sending him to the ground, another player jumping in and a fight ensuing"; " if people knew who threw the dig, attitudes would change - fact". Maybe Trap would be a dark horse in the boxing ring?

what's annoying them is that the article is misleading. When I flicked through it in the shops myself, first thought that went through my head was "they're on the p*ss again and they're giving the media enough fuel to turn on them".
However when you hear what has happened and who kicked off, then it does change atitude. Someone seriously lost the run of themself. Wouldn't be surprised if there is a change of job for someone over the summer.

Plus they hate the bloke on YBIG, with an absolute passion. That's the reference to attitudes changing.

There is enough on that thread to work out who at least two of the three involved are. I'd go so far as you'd have to be a bit special not to figure out one.

jbyrne
13/06/2011, 5:19 PM
Someone seriously lost the run of themself. Wouldn't be surprised if there is a change of job for someone over the summer.

There is enough on that thread to work out who at least two of the three involved are.

pretty sure i can work out who the staff member is. If its true then something like this has been coming for a while

SkStu
13/06/2011, 5:53 PM
i think i have worked out the senior player...

DannyInvincible
13/06/2011, 6:42 PM
Which night was this though? I can't believe they would be in a bar drinking the night before a crucial game like that. Am I stupid and nieve?

I don't think it was on the eve of a match? Not sure where you picked that up, unless it's me who's mistaken, but it occurred in Dublin. I've just heard it was "prior to the Macedonia game" and the team were still in Dublin on the Wednesday night, weren't they? So, it would have been between the Sunday night of the Scotland game and the following Wednesday night, presumably.

It was those two lines in particular that got me.

BonnieShels
13/06/2011, 6:45 PM
I haven't. And I'm starting to think I don't really care but then I think to myself that I do care but then I rationalise and then I don't care again.

What was the question?

DannyInvincible
13/06/2011, 6:46 PM
what's annoying them is that the article is misleading. When I flicked through it in the shops myself, first thought that went through my head was "they're on the p*ss again and they're giving the media enough fuel to turn on them".
However when you hear what has happened and who kicked off, then it does change atitude. Someone seriously lost the run of themself. Wouldn't be surprised if there is a change of job for someone over the summer.

Plus they hate the bloke on YBIG, with an absolute passion. That's the reference to attitudes changing.

There is enough on that thread to work out who at least two of the three involved are. I'd go so far as you'd have to be a bit special not to figure out one.

I see it's fast become an 18-pager. Any juicy highlights for me to save me the bother? :p

Stuttgart88
13/06/2011, 9:53 PM
Kingdom & Danny. FYI, it appears your PM boxes are full and I can't get in touch...

Kingdom
14/06/2011, 12:05 AM
Indeed Stutts. clear your own while you're at it.

DeLorean
02/09/2016, 12:12 PM
Bumping thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aRMRR2Wk7E

DeLorean
13/09/2016, 8:18 AM
Closed thread.