PDA

View Full Version : Strong Words From Robbie Keane about the non shows

Pages : [1] 2

Noelys Guitar
28/05/2011, 5:09 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/0528/ireland_keanerobbie.html. And i completely agree with him. Ray Houghton was on the radio this morning talking about the time Liverpool lost the title to Arsenal (the infamous Paul Davis last minute goal) on a Friday night. Houghton, Aldridge, Whelan and O'Leary travelled over on the Saturday to Dublin for a Sunday match against Malta. Serious players with serious teams.

greendeiseboy
28/05/2011, 5:28 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/0528/ireland_keanerobbie.html. And i completely agree with him. Ray Houghton was on the radio this morning talking about the time Liverpool lost the title to Arsenal (the infamous Paul Davis last minute goal) on a Friday night. Houghton, Aldridge, Whelan and O'Leary travelled over to Dublin for the Sunday match against Malta. Serious players with serious teams.

Too bloody right. Anyone get the feeling that if and when these lads return that they might not get an overly open armed welcome form their team mates.

I've got into heated arguments on here re McCarthy and Trap not picking him but I have to admit that in hindsight I think Trap was right - all is not what it seems with this player and his so called commitment.

I'd have a team of Robbie's and Kilbane's any day over these jumped up overpaid upstarts.

shakermaker1982
28/05/2011, 5:38 PM
well said Robbie.

Sullivinho
28/05/2011, 6:31 PM
Well said that man, absolutely spot on.

BonnieShels
28/05/2011, 7:29 PM
Completely with Robbie here. Though the idea of a team of Keanes and Kilbanes is scary.

greendeiseboy
28/05/2011, 7:33 PM
Completely with Robbie here. Though the idea of a team of Keanes and Kilbanes is scary.

You know what I mean!

SkStu
28/05/2011, 7:44 PM
right sentiments, wrong forum. In my opinion. I understand both sides of the argument.

Whatever happened to face to face confrontation?

Fergie's Son
28/05/2011, 8:23 PM
right sentiments, wrong forum. In my opinion. I understand both sides of the argument.

Whatever happened to face to face confrontation?

Wouldn't McCarthy et al have to show up to do that?

monutdfc
28/05/2011, 8:49 PM
Well said Robbie

BonnieShels
28/05/2011, 8:52 PM
You know what I mean!

I did. I just had a horror vision is all.

Noelys Guitar
28/05/2011, 8:53 PM
Wouldn't McCarthy et al have to show up to do that?

He could text them but he wouldn't get an answer!

Stuttgart88
28/05/2011, 8:57 PM
We're on the one road...

tommy_c12000
29/05/2011, 10:42 AM
Great words from Robbie. . . . . can't help but think this whole charade stinks of hypocrisy: Lest us not forget that he missed Ireland's end-of-season games in 2008 (Trap's first as Ireland manager) because he was having his stag party in Las Vegas. He also didn't bother to come over for a medical when he pulled out of an Irish friendly earlier this year with an injury after going on loan to West Ham. But it suits him now to be Trap's yes man now that Niall Quinn has long since retired . . . . .

Fixer82
29/05/2011, 11:09 AM
Keane didn't need to prove himself in 2008 the way Wilson, Walter, McCarthy, Stokes need to prove themselves and their commitment.
No problem with Robbie taking time off to chill out after a long season to relax and let off steam. He'd proven his worth and commitment well before then. The same way Dunne, O'Shea, Given have.
Plus, for friendlies of a small nature it's probably better to give younger lads more of a chance. once Robbiie or Shay are there for any meaningless friendly they'll get game-time. Didn't Roy have a pop at Shay a while back for turning up for every single game and not giving other keepers a chance? Though it's not Shay's fault he answered the call. But I think ya know what I'm getting at

Stuttgart88
29/05/2011, 11:14 AM
He also didn't bother to come over for a medical when he pulled out of an Irish friendly earlier this year with an injury after going on loan to West Ham. Probably because there was absolutely no doubt whatsoever about his injury. Keane has his faults, but being committed to the team isn't one of them. He'd have had every excuse not to bother given the stick he gets from some quarters, but it still means a lot to him to play for Ireland.

Not Brazil
29/05/2011, 11:43 AM
Good attitude by Robbie Keane - if you aren't committed to the cause, clear off.

Much the same sentiments were expressed by Gareth McAuley through the week - who hit the nail on the head.

"If people don't want to play for us then we don't want them in our squad.

It's as simple as that. We've got a tight group and we have had over the years.

The young lads coming through are coming through together and if they don't want to be a part of it we won't twist anyone's arm.

If you're not fully committed, then no thanks."

Murfinator
29/05/2011, 2:11 PM
Hardly strong words, hes condemning something that nobody would dare defend.

From the players point of view, I can understand frustration at the FAI arranging two nothing friendlies at the end of a long season. They're valuable for players lacking game time like Andrews, Given, Keane etc but completely worthless for McCarthy, Walters and Wilson who would greatly benefit from the rest instead.
Though this isn't the first time James and Jon in particular have had a sick note at convenient times and is probably symptomatic of an attitude problem.

As with most things in the Irish camp the problem seems to be with communication. I think if all the no shows had better communication channels with the Irish squad they could perhaps request a rest through friendlies that are worthless anyway and be available and train for Macedonia. As a supporter I would have no problem with that, I want my players to commit to the important matches not some nothing stadium showcases.

For as questionably committed some of our players are the communication problems highlighted by Harte today are just beyond belief. FAI being incredibly amateurish again.

Crosby87
29/05/2011, 2:35 PM
Finally someone says something that makes sense. Good Job Skipper.

dynamo kerry
30/05/2011, 3:55 PM
good to see- hard to doubt robbie- ireland is the best bit of his career

ps noely - if you're referring to 1989 - was it not michael thomas who score the big goal against liverpool

geysir
30/05/2011, 4:34 PM
Is there room on this board for another Kerry cute hoor?

Noelys Guitar
30/05/2011, 4:39 PM
good to see- hard to doubt robbie- ireland is the best bit of his career

ps noely - if you're referring to 1989 - was it not michael thomas who score the big goal against liverpool

Your right DK. It was Davis who passed to Thomas.

Kingdom
30/05/2011, 10:29 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/0528/ireland_keanerobbie.html. And i completely agree with him. Ray Houghton was on the radio this morning talking about the time Liverpool lost the title to Arsenal (the infamous Paul Davis last minute goal) on a Friday night. Houghton, Aldridge, Whelan and O'Leary travelled over on the Saturday to Dublin for a Sunday match against Malta. Serious players with serious teams.
It was Michael Thomas and his epileptic celebration.

Kingdom
30/05/2011, 10:32 PM
Is there room on this board for another Kerry cute hoor?

We're bi-polar.

Charlie Darwin
30/05/2011, 11:09 PM
Another one. Daniel McDonnell on Twitter:

Tomorrow: Another Irish player won't be joining up with the squad. Again, Trapattoni sceptical about the excuse offered.

http://twitter.com/#!/McDonnellDan/status/75334134251257856

Kingdom
30/05/2011, 11:25 PM
Who is left to join? Long? Gibson? Best?

BonnieShels
30/05/2011, 11:27 PM
Who is left to join? Long? Gibson? Best?

It better be Best. I doubt it's Long. And Gibson is already treading thin ice with Trap.

EDIT: Phew... an injury and not insolence from Gibson!

Sullivinho
30/05/2011, 11:29 PM
Gibson out. (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1392495/Ireland-players-lose-Darron-Gibson-injured.html?ito=feeds-newsxml) Groin injury. Probably his share of the collective kick in United's nuts delivered by Messi and co. Trap seems almost jovial about it though..

Kingdom
30/05/2011, 11:33 PM
Breaking news! Dan McDonnell's a sh*t-stirrer.

BonnieShels
30/05/2011, 11:38 PM
Breaking news! Dan McDonnell's a sh*t-stirrer.

It's very surprising. He's like our very own Stephen Watson.

Kingdom
30/05/2011, 11:39 PM
Is Steven Watson a ****?

geysir
30/05/2011, 11:40 PM
Gibson out. (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1392495/Ireland-players-lose-Darron-Gibson-injured.html?ito=feeds-newsxml) Groin injury. Probably his share of the collective kick in United's nuts delivered by Messi and co. Trap seems almost jovial about it though..
I don't think he's jovial, more a descent into mocking black humour. Had me laughing anyway.

Sullivinho
30/05/2011, 11:41 PM
I'd say Trap is sceptical enough about it tbh. Gibson has hardly been overworked this past month. Blame it on bad bench posture I s'pose.

Whelan and Andrews it is then. The dream team reunited. I think Andrews would have gotten the nod anyway.

Sullivinho
30/05/2011, 11:43 PM
I don't think he's jovial, more a descent into mocking black humour. Had me laughing anyway.

Yeah, I was searching for the right word and made do with 'jovial'. But black humour is definitely the better fit.

French Toasht
31/05/2011, 9:36 AM
Great words from Robbie. . . . . can't help but think this whole charade stinks of hypocrisy: Lest us not forget that he missed Ireland's end-of-season games in 2008 (Trap's first as Ireland manager) because he was having his stag party in Las Vegas. He also didn't bother to come over for a medical when he pulled out of an Irish friendly earlier this year with an injury after going on loan to West Ham. But it suits him now to be Trap's yes man now that Niall Quinn has long since retired . . . . .

Didn't Robbie fly out to play for us in Albania in the immediate aftermath of his father's funeral. I don't think sucd a great servent to the Irish teams commitment to the cause should be questioned to be fair.

Crosby87
31/05/2011, 11:43 AM
Didn't Robbie fly out to play for us in Albania in the immediate aftermath of his father's funeral. I don't think sucd a great servent to the Irish teams commitment to the cause should be questioned to be fair.

What? Did you start drinking for the game already?:) Who would question him?

Stuttgart88
31/05/2011, 12:24 PM
I thought Robbie missed the game following his father's death - maybe that was the game in Tbilisi.

Mick McCarthy left his father's deathbed to take us to Cyprus. Not that many pro-Keane langers took any note. Roy Keane didn't even wish his teammates good luck on the way to Iran, before sneaking off on his jet to Manchester to walk his dog.

Drumcondra 69er
31/05/2011, 3:32 PM
I thought Robbie missed the game following his father's death - maybe that was the game in Tbilisi.

Mick McCarthy left his father's deathbed to take us to Cyprus. Not that many pro-Keane langers took any note. Roy Keane didn't even wish his teammates good luck on the way to Iran, before sneaking off on his jet to Manchester to walk his dog.

Yeah, Robbie missed the game against Georgia due to the funeral and then went straight to join the squad for Albania, superb dedication as ever.

Duggie
31/05/2011, 3:46 PM
Yeah, Robbie missed the game against Georgia due to the funeral and then went straight to join the squad for Albania, superb dedication as ever.

ya i havent forgotten this, must have been hard but maybe it helped him in a way at the time to take his mind off things. 100% green!

legendz
31/05/2011, 9:38 PM
Should the no-shows be given a quick return to the squad next August or made work hard to re-earn a call-up? It might be a bit ideal in some respects but unless a player has picked up a bad knock recently or has been missing a few games, players should at least turn up to the team base to be assessed unless advised not to following medical discussion between FAI and club medics.

DannyInvincible
01/06/2011, 1:33 AM
Should the no-shows be given a quick return to the squad next August or made work hard to re-earn a call-up?

Who are we dubbing the "no-shows" here?

SwanVsDalton
01/06/2011, 9:12 AM
Stokes, McCarthy, Wilson, Walters, Folan presumably.

Suggestion for them getting everyone back on side - form a spoof boy band called 'The No-shows' and perform as Ireland's entry in next year's Eurovision, singing 'Pick Up The Phone'.

French Toasht
01/06/2011, 10:11 AM
Personally I think they should and probably will be frozen out by Trap for the rest of the campaign.

SwanVsDalton
01/06/2011, 10:23 AM
I'm not convinced. Some appear more guilty/disposable than others, and I have a suspicion Trap is becoming slightly more pragmatic on the issue. I'd say they'd all have to keep themselves utterly in his good books though.

Yard of Pace
01/06/2011, 11:10 AM
If we get to the Euros our offical song could be a re-working of ELO's Telephone Line...
...with a montage of S. Ireland, Stokes, etc in the video...

Bottle of Tonic
01/06/2011, 12:44 PM
I'd say Stokes is finished in an Ireland shirt under Trap. Should be anyway. 'Too tired' is so lame it basically translates as '**** you'. Why did Wislon and Walters pull out? Vague 'knocks' and 'strains'? They might get away with that being relatively new. Folan is confirmed injuired, right?. McCarthy? We are questioning his commitment at this stage but he is very young and could have a huge future with us so I'd say he'll be granted a reprieve soon enough.

SwanVsDalton
01/06/2011, 1:00 PM
I'd say Stokes is finished in an Ireland shirt under Trap. Should be anyway. 'Too tired' is so lame it basically translates as '**** you'. Why did Wislon and Walters pull out? Vague 'knocks' and 'strains'? They might get away with that being relatively new. Folan is confirmed injuired, right?. McCarthy? We are questioning his commitment at this stage but he is very young and could have a huge future with us so I'd say he'll be granted a reprieve soon enough.

Walters did his shoulder and is injured, mistake seems to have come down to honest miscommunication which he cleared up at the time. I'd say he'll be forgiven. Folan managed 20 minutes at the weekend for Colorado Rapids despite claiming injury. Wilson not sure, and everyone appears to have agreed McCarthy is injured though the FAI remain highly skeptical.

Stokes is certainly done, probably Folan too given he's playing MLS. Wilson could be on thin ice, but Walters will surely get a reprieve. McCarthy? Well it could very well come down to him.

DannyInvincible
02/06/2011, 7:45 AM
Stokes, McCarthy, Wilson, Walters, Folan presumably.

Stokes is kaput; a messer clearly not the slightest bit bothered. It's accepted that Walters is wholeheartedly genuine. Most of the public and media scepticism has been reserved for McCarthy and Wilson although, from what I understand, the FAI aren't doubting the players' claims, at least publicly anyway. Not sure what the story is with Folan and what the FAI make of his claims.

What about Gibson? Is he deemed a "no-shower" now as well?

SwanVsDalton
02/06/2011, 9:15 AM
Stokes is kaput; a messer clearly not the slightest bit bothered. It's accepted that Walters is wholeheartedly genuine. Most of the public and media scepticism has been reserved for McCarthy and Wilson although, from what I understand, the FAI aren't doubting the players' claims, at least publicly anyway. Not sure what the story is with Folan and what the FAI make of his claims.

What about Gibson? Is he deemed a "no-shower" now as well?

Folan declared himself injured but played for his club at the weekend. So doubt that'll go down too well.

Doubt Gibson's in much trouble though there's a lot of cheeky scepticism about the nature of his injury.

Stuttgart88
02/06/2011, 10:02 AM
Folan declared himself injured but played for his club at the weekend. So doubt that'll go down too well.I think Geysir threw some justification Folan's way. Apparently he came off the bench late on and his team was missing loads of players and they were threadbare. He wouldn't have figured if they had a full team.

Sounds like my old Superleague days.

geysir
02/06/2011, 11:40 AM
The journalists are still trying to get reactions out of the players, in the interviews from yesterday.
The time has passed for the inquisition about the missing players. Nobody knows any more than they did a few days ago. Each missing player can explain themselves to Trap and vice versa, at some future stage. The game on Saturday is the issue now.