PDA

View Full Version : Player ratings

Counting Crow
20/06/2004, 12:22 AM
Devine 8 - made some very good saves at differnet stages. Enjoyed himself - laughing along withthe cracks from the Shed.
Lordan 7 - played well. Settled in after the first goal. Grew in confidence as the game went on. Up against a pacy winger.
Dan 9 - Awsome. 2 brilliant goals but overall play was excellent. Back to his best and should get a lot of confidence from tonight.
Benno 7 - did well. Nothing wrong and looked solid next to Dan.
Cockney Rebel 8 - Superb but do we really expect anything else at this stage. Up against players half his size ( literally ) but was tigerish in the tackle and popped up every where.
Kearney 9 - what guts. Even the mascot was bigger than him but he tormented them so much the Malmo fans were raving about him afterwards.
George 8 - Class. Was a thorn in their side with his control and passing. Cheeky step overs and nutmegs in the second half were the things legends are made of.
Colin T 8 - Mr Dependable. Ran his heart out and did a really good job in front of the back 4. His fitness levels are unbelievable - was everywhere and his tackling was brilliant.
Doyler 7 - ran his heart out and his skill in going past players was top drawer. Held his own physically also with a huge Malmo back 4. Pity about missing the header in the 2nd half.
Fenn 7 - control was probably the best of the 22 players on the pitch. Ran his heart out also and the substitution was purely tactical.
Flynny 8 - pace was frightening. Ran at the defence and controlled every bal sent at him. They just did not do their homework on him.....and paid for it.

Dolan 10 - got ot so right tonight with every aspect of the game - team, tactics, passion, and phsycology ( saying Malmo were bigger and better than us ) - shades of Alex Ferguson here.

Storysham
20/06/2004, 12:54 AM
lordan and murphy stood out for me, great game by both of them.

thecorner
20/06/2004, 1:14 AM
georgie and kearney 4 me

my ol'fella thought fenn was MOTM

id say he needs glasses :D

sullanefc
20/06/2004, 1:26 AM
First of all I would say 10 out of 10 for Dolan. That is probably City's best line up. Very good tactictly. MOM for me was Murray. Apart from scoring the two goals he was very sound defensively and prevented a couple of certain malmo goals.

I thought Doyle was more impressive than Kearney in the wing positions and nearly thought Dolan would bring on Nwankwo for Kearney in the latter stages.

Callaghan. What can I say. Produced some pieces of skill similar to Del Piero the other night. Only difference is, his probably won't be replayed 10 times on RTE.

Overall, we were the more dangerous team, although Malmo kept the possetion better than us. Major drag was their away goal. Put a dampner on things.

Druss
20/06/2004, 1:47 AM
Cockney Rebel 8 - Superb but do we really expect anything else at this stage. Up against players half his size ( literally )

Danny was playing against a player half his size. :eek:
I didn't spot him over the advertising hoardings. ;)

I'd echo your ratings. Feels good that we weren't outplayed or outclassed in any way.
Dolan really went for it. Thats just about our most attacking line up..putting Lordan in at RB, Kearney and Doyle on the wings.
Most other managers would have played it far more cautiously. Well done Pat.

sullanefc
20/06/2004, 2:05 AM
Thats just about our most attacking line up..putting Lordan in at RB, Kearney and Doyle on the wings.
Most other managers would have played it far more cautiously. Well done Pat.

Here, here. Best line out possible. Fair play Pat.

BTW its 3am and I can't sleep I'm so excited.

PAT DOLAN'S REBEL ARMY!!!!

SSS
20/06/2004, 9:10 AM
Lads notwithstanding any little faults, the whole team deserve 10/10 for last nights performance.
Before the game, looking at the size of there guys was frightening.
The Malmo team must have been smiling away as they shook hands down the line of City midgets.

The Donie Fordes had one George outburst alright. But FFS he was super at slowing the pace down every now and then, and his tacking was Colinesque.

Fenn had his best game in a City shirt. Cool to see him laughing at our reaction when Malmo mis-kicked into the Donie Forde late-on.

Overheard Dave barry on the phone after the game going on about now Malmo gave Kearney and George loads of time on the ball and stood off them.

BTW, just read that the Malmo keeper was making his debut!

eoinh
20/06/2004, 9:47 AM
We were brilliant.

Michael Devine was amazing. Dont think he could have done anything about their goal. His best performance this season?

Danny Murphy - Fantastic, didnt give a gnats ass about who he was playing about. He'ld run through brick walls.

Alan Bennet - All our back four played great. Rock Solid

Dan Murray - Best game of the season. Again rock solid. Annoyed with him for not getting a hatrick :)

Cillian Lordan - Man of the match; superb performance.

Colin O Brien - Not phased by the opposition. Cool out as usual.

Neale Fenn - Best match of the season; Nearly through on goal afew times.

John O'Flynn - Great thinking for the goal; got us going and put them on the racks. i dont think he was back to full fitness. i reckon next week those swedes mightn't realise how good the man actually is.

George O' callaghan - Didnt care that they were malmo; best mdifielder on the park. (i hope none of our players end up playing swedish football next season)

Kevin Doyle - What a great player. put those darn swedes under so much pressure.

Liam Kearney - When i say the size of those swededs i though he wouldnt have a chance. But hey! if you cant compete physically with them why not kick the ball by them and RUN around them. made the swedes look like Newcastlewest on a bad day.

pity we dropped back in the second half as we could pay for that away goal.

For those who keep saying that the Eircom league is the equivalent of the conference or english second division - stick the result up your tootsie.

Ild like to thank RTE for our victory - we were able to watch the swedes on video. By golly they couldnt do that to us. :rolleyes:
Next year RTE are going further -names and mention of football will be banned on our "national" TV station. Foreign clubs wont have a clue about us. Itll be more information blackout then was going on under Bulgarian Communism. More video footage willl be available of Mongolian football than Irish.

rince
20/06/2004, 11:05 AM
Suggestion here in Malmö that they put in bid for O'Flynn as they need a new striker to repalce recently sacked Igor Sypniewski

eoinh
20/06/2004, 12:29 PM
I dont know where your getting this information but according to the Malmo fans last night Sypniewski is a troublesome player but is still at the club.

He was sacked on Wednesday, i read about it too on UEFAs website and put a link to the story. If you search the city forum you'll find it there!

CorkCityFootie
20/06/2004, 12:45 PM
Cockney Rebel 8 Up against players half his size ( literally )

If they were half his size, then they must have been what, 2ft 8"? :rolleyes: ;)

rince
20/06/2004, 12:47 PM
Sypnieskis contract has been cancelled with effect from June 30th. I forgot i put that post in . just a few malmo lads at the game who were impressed , i was hald asleep when typing that pay no notice it came out wrong

DolansWaistcoat
20/06/2004, 2:44 PM
The whole team was brilliant last night they all gave maximum effert.Fenn,Doyler and Kearney were the main men for especially the wingers,they scared the sh!te out of their full backs.I can't wait to see what happens in the second leg but I hope the lads don't have a stinker against bohs on tues night after the high of last night.

applehunter
21/06/2004, 12:25 AM
Devine 8
Murphy 9
Murray 8
Bennett 7
lordan 7
T o'brien 7
O'callaghan 9
Kearney 8
Doyle 8
O'Flynn 8
Fenn 7

Those are my ratings. Kearney was brilliant. I think its a matter of confidence with him. He was a real thorn in their side. George O'Callaghan looked a class above every player on the pitch(again). Danny Murphy was just inspirational!. He would bring a tear to your eye.

tiktok
21/06/2004, 8:04 AM
Devine 8 - some good stops and controlled his area. distribution is excellent now
Murphy 9 - words can't do him justice
Murray 8 - looked comfortable on the ball, two important goals, some great tackles
Bennett 7 - thought he was great, ref took a dislike to him though, IMO perfect tackles in areas that could have been dangerous
lordan 8 - thought he was class, remember that's he's only had a few games
O'brien 7 - ran his legs off, but to be honest I thought their No.8 ran midfield
O'callaghan 8 - as above, but some of his passing was excellent, worked so hard
Kearney 8 - i was disappointed when nwankwo didn't start, i was wrong, brilliant
Doyle 8 - ran at them constantly, worked hard covering back, I fancy he could nick a goal away
O'Flynn 8 - worked hard, best I've seen him this season, did well for the goal
Fenn 8 - don't know who said it, but i agree he'd the best first touch of those on show, worked hard

Dolan 10 - agree he got it just right, we'll find it tougher away, I think people have glossed over how well Malmo passed the ball in midfield, they just missed the end product. I fancy us to nick a goal away though. They'll have to come at us, I think we can catch them on the break.

Jim Smith
21/06/2004, 11:23 AM
Not going to rate any of the players as they all played out of their skins (but Kearney's ball control is something else ;) ). The attacking was great but I was also impressed by they way we held on for the last 15 minutes. The Malmo players fitness (or was it the subs fresh legs?) had me worried that they might claw back more than they did - I suspect that most other eL teams would have colapsed but we held on....

There were a couple of moaning George (and most of the rest of the team ) haters behind me. I really can't understand the mentality of these clowns. If we had hoofed and ran (which they seem to prefer to 'stupid football') at Malmo like we did for most of the Derry game we would have been destroyed.

If we play our football on the ground we have no one to fear in the eL :D

pete
21/06/2004, 11:34 AM
Lordan justified selection.
Even aside form the goals Murray have best defensive game in over a year.
Was impressed with the way Kearney took on the fullback & more often than not ran at inside the penalty box instead of crossing - saying that great cross for Doylers missed header in 2nd half.
O'Flynn was good but can only imagine how we'd have done if he was back to his best. :eek:

Can't wait for away leg next weekend.

eastcork
22/06/2004, 7:34 AM
Was the person that gave Geroge and Kearney a rating of 4 watching the game. George was fantastic. He hunted and harassed and set the tone of game to all around him. He was brilliant and it was the first time that i saw him play to his true potential. Kearney played really well so a rating of 4 is a disgrace. I hope you were only joking :)

thecorner
22/06/2004, 11:01 AM
georgie and kearney 4 me as in georgie and kearney for me :rolleyes:

eastcork
22/06/2004, 3:05 PM
apologies!