PDA

View Full Version : CARLSBERG: Don't do City wins but if they did

Counting Crow
19/06/2004, 11:41 PM
I have died and gone to heaven!

Forgive me in advance for the long post but I just want everyone who wasn't at the game to understand what this meant to every City fan and LoI fan, tonight.

Here is how I saw it.

The Shed looked like the opening ceremony for the Olympics - the 100's of flags in green, white and red in the form of a tri-colour. Looked fantastic IN THE SHED , but must have been brilliant altogether from the stands.

Atmosphere - electric throughout. Fair play EVERYONE!

As for the game. One of those games that everyone played superb. No one had a bad game and the substitution was purely tactical - nothing else.

Great start - Flynny steals a backpass, rounds the 'keeper and slots it home at the St Anne's end. Place errupts. Flynny gets booked for his trademark celebration - half the shirt off. Keeper and defender badly caught with Flynny's pace.

City camped in Malmo's half.

Free near the Family enclosure - 10 mins before half time. George swings in a peach of a cross and Captain Dan meets it with a bullet of a header from 10 yards out that God nor man could stop. The place goes mental. City comfortably hold out to half time - toatlly on top.

These guys were huge. 'Keeper was 6' 6" and the back line were all over 6' - full backs and all. Everyone thought we'd be kicked to $hit.
Malmo fans thought Kearney was our mascot - I swear.

2nd half.

City come out firing on all cylinders. Take Malmo by surprise again.
Super cross from "the corner" to Doyler who heads inches wide from 6 yards out.

Malmo then counter attack and hit a screamer against our crossbar. "Could this be the end" everyone thought.

NO, NO.

Devine makes a few really good saves as Malmo start to get more into the game with their passing style.

Corner to City. George swings in a beaut. Keeper hesitates and in comes Dan with another beautiful header.
3-0.

Who would have thought. The noise was deafining.
What a moment for Cork football.
What a moment for Irish football.

We were making a famous club look very ordinary.

Malmo score from a header with 5 mins to go. Height eventually paid off.

Defining moment for me was as follows:

Lordan ( who played really well overall ) looses the ball on half way towards the end of the game. Their coloured winger steams off down the line at a rate of knots. But who's that racing straight accross the pitch from the opposite corner.....why it's Danny Murphy. And he clatters into the winger just as he's about to put in a cross, blowing the ball into the D F Stand and the player into the St Anne's end.

Almost as big a cheer for this as for the 3 goals.

DOLAN - YOU GOT IT RIGHT TONIGHT IN EVERY ASPECT - FAIR FCUKING PLAY.

Heard an older guy say on the way out it was better than the Bayern Munich game and as an older guy I have to agree.

PURE MAGIC!

sullanefc
20/06/2004, 1:56 AM
Great post Crow, that was exactly how it went down.

De Town
20/06/2004, 9:40 AM
what was the crowd like? was there many from malmo?

yiddo
20/06/2004, 9:58 AM
De Town wrote
was there many from Malmo ?

Much more than UCD used bring and more than Shelbourne bring :D

adamcarr
20/06/2004, 10:53 AM
was there many from malmo?
Around 12 or 13!

Colm
20/06/2004, 1:41 PM
Yeah spot on Crow.
It was a magical night and will go down as another one of our historic european results (up there with Bayern imo).
The atmosphere was brilliant, the flags, smoke, streamers, deafening noise, 'sit down for the Cork City'..... it was great and once again showed (as if we needed proof after any of the away games this season) that we have by far the best fans in the country! The Shed was in full voice throughout and I think it's been quite a while since we've celebrated goals so wildly and with such passion. Hopefully we can have a similar atmosphere for Bohs on Tuesday and of course we'll have a fantastic atmosphere in Sweden next week.

What a performance, Dolan got it spot on..... where are all the anti-Dolan muppets now? All the players were fantastic but I think Liam Kearney deserves a special mention, he lost his place earlier in the season but last night I thought he was outstanding. Hopefully Dan can continue his goal scoring from now on aswell. Also Fenn definately had his best game so far.

I really can't wait for the trip to Sweden next week now. I'd say there'll be a few people who will decide to go last minute after last nights win, surely it will be too much for most people to resist! It's going to be some trip and now at least we know that we're going there to win. :) :)

DolansWaistcoat
20/06/2004, 2:35 PM
What a night,it was fcuking brilliant from start to finish.Their Goal took a little shine off it but still fair play to the lads,outstanding every one of them.I wish I was going to Malmo now but what harm,teletext will have to do.

ccfc till i die
20/06/2004, 2:40 PM
Around 12 or 13!

Ah to be fair I'd say there was 30 or 40. I saw a bunch of those lads down in the franciscan well with their Swedish flags afterwards.

adamcarr
20/06/2004, 6:35 PM
Ah to be fair I'd say there was 30 or 40. I saw a bunch of those lads down in the franciscan well with their Swedish flags afterwards.
I very much doubt that, but rthey seriously had to be the worst fans I have seen in the X, they travelled so far to see their team and they never got behind them! :rolleyes:

joe
20/06/2004, 7:00 PM
I very much doubt that, but rthey seriously had to be the worst fans I have seen in the X, they travelled so far to see their team and they never got behind them! :rolleyes:

from what i saw there were at least 30/40 fans in the away section but afaik a lot of them are living in Cork so weren't necessarily Malmo fans. Those wearing colours did make the effort when it came to chanting, etc.

corkharps
20/06/2004, 7:20 PM
Great night,i really enjoyed it.Agree with most of the above,a great allround team performance.BTW Danny Murphy had a blinder,ever tried him in midfield? :) Well done also to the supporters,great display of colour and passion!