PDA

View Full Version : Home v Cork City Monday May 30th 2011

Pages : [1] 2

abbeyvale
26/05/2011, 10:56 PM
Best defence v best attack in division one.

I'll go with a 1-1 draw seeing as though Cork are still unbeaten in the league.

Longford to drop points away to Mervue, but Shels should win away at Wexford Youths and Monaghan should do likewise at home v Finn Harps.

1 Cork City 12 7 5 0 24 / 8 26
2 Shelbourne 11 8 2 1 20 / 9 26
3 Monaghan United 11 7 3 1 21 / 11 24
4 Limerick 12 7 3 2 16 / 6 24
5 Longford Town 12 7 1 4 15 / 9 22
6 Waterford United 12 5 1 6 10 / 9 16
7 Mervue United 12 4 2 6 15 / 18 14
8 Athlone Town 12 3 3 6 4 / 17 12
9 Finn Harps 12 1 3 8 7 / 18 6
10 Wexford Youths 12 2 0 10 12 / 24 6
11 Salthill Devon 12 1 3 8 6 / 21 6

Jofspring
26/05/2011, 11:05 PM
I've a bad feeling about this game but will look on the positive side.

We have ground out results recently that we wouldn't have in previous seasons. Our back 4 look excellent. Cork will come and hopefully try to play ball which should make it a more open game than some matches this season. Upfront is the only place killing us at the moment with no one looking like going on a consistent goal streak. Breen could add some much needed speed to our attack.

Being optimistic Limerick 1-0 Cork , being realistic 1-1, that or an absolute hammering which unless we totally implode I can't see happening.

abbeyvale
26/05/2011, 11:46 PM
I've a bad feeling about this game but will look on the positive side.

We have ground out results recently that we wouldn't have in previous seasons. Our back 4 look excellent. Cork will come and hopefully try to play ball which should make it a more open game than some matches this season. Upfront is the only place killing us at the moment with no one looking like going on a consistent goal streak. Breen could add some much needed speed to our attack.

Being optimistic Limerick 1-0 Cork , being realistic 1-1, that or an absolute hammering which unless we totally implode I can't see happening.

Hopefully its a nice evening and the kids enjoy the bouncing castle if not the game

Jofspring
27/05/2011, 12:25 PM
Hopefully its a nice evening and the kids enjoy the bouncing castle if not the game

Never mind the kids, if we start like we did the last time Cork played here and are 3-0 down after 15mins then we'll be all heading over to the bouncing castle.

I wonder will the Monday affect the travelling support. With it being a handy trip I'd say we could be looking at them bringing the 200 mark? Throw into that about 500 home fans possibly.

thomas72
27/05/2011, 1:29 PM
If we go one down we are in trouble or forward line is not firing. hynes is hopeless o flynn is not scoring or most likely goalscorer this season has been judgey

Jofspring
27/05/2011, 2:22 PM
If we go one down we are in trouble or forward line is not firing. hynes is hopeless o flynn is not scoring or most likely goalscorer this season has been judgey

As a goalscorer yes....as a player no way. One of our best this season.

bluewhitearmy
27/05/2011, 2:38 PM

If your talking as a player and not just scoring then id wonder if you have seen Limerick this year. One of our best players this year.

I hope Steve is fit for this even though he is in bad form he is our best hope of taking the chances...Could be worth starting Breen he looked lively lastnight.

bluepowers
27/05/2011, 3:12 PM
Barry Ryan
Corie Treacy
Brian McCarthy Or Calla
Paddy Purcell
John Frost
Shane Tracy Or Chris Breen
David O Leary
Jeffrey Judge
Paudie Quinn
Peter Hynes
Stephan O Flynn Or Garbhan Coughlan

hopefully we can keep it tight and nick the win :)

razor
27/05/2011, 3:15 PM
Monday night is a pain.
I usually organise a bus but am driving down for the first time, any route/parking recommendations?

bluewhitearmy
27/05/2011, 3:52 PM
Monday night is a pain.
I usually organise a bus but am driving down for the first time, any route/parking recommendations?

Id say the train station would be the best place to park they used to have paking in a supervalu or something right across the road from the lads but not sure if thats still available.

I leave my car over by the park and have never had any bother.

thomas72
27/05/2011, 5:04 PM
If your talking as a player and not just scoring then id wonder if you have seen Limerick this year. One of our best players this year.

I hope Steve is fit for this even though he is in bad form he is our best hope of taking the chances...Could be worth starting Breen he looked lively lastnight.

aw lads stop he is cat he works hard granted but his position is striker he does not score goals he is very average in the air for a big man. not good enough for a promotion seeking team he would be handy at athlone or somebody around that level.

streaker
27/05/2011, 5:31 PM
all depends who,s fit if the forwards perform on the day id go for 2 . 0 to lims.gate should be around 1000 to 1500.

Jofspring
27/05/2011, 5:46 PM
aw lads stop he is cat he works hard granted but his position is striker he does not score goals he is very average in the air for a big man. not good enough for a promotion seeking team he would be handy at athlone or somebody around that level.

He has been a handfull for most teams we have played, he is surprisingly skillful for a big guy but gets let down by his pace. In the 12 games so far this season he has been poor in about 2. He wins a lot of ball for us and the likes of Judge have been brought into the game by his flick ons and knock downs. He chases down very well too. If O'Flynn and O'Connor had put in the effort so far this season that he has then I think we would be banging in a lot more goals.

bluewhitearmy
27/05/2011, 8:38 PM

Well he has played more matches on the wing for us then up front.

He wins most headers he goes for ive never seen him lose too many headers.

He has been starting most of attcks and setting up a few goals. He wasnt brought in to score goals he was brought in to do the work to make it easier for Steve to score he did his part its O'Flynn thats letting it down.

If hes not good enough for a promotion seeking team then how has he manged to be one of our best players?

The Athlone thing doesnt even deserve an answer.

thomas72
27/05/2011, 8:53 PM

He has been starting most of attcks and setting up a few goals. He wasnt brought in to score goals he was brought in to do the work to make it easier for Steve to score he did his part its O'Flynn thats letting it down.

If hes not good enough for a promotion seeking team then how has he manged to be one of our best players?

well your in a select few who actually thinks he is a good player every person around me at games does be calling him a donkey and roaring at scully to take him off FACT. if you think he is one of or best players this season fine thats your opinon thats what football is about but i think he is rubbish he would not get on the salthill side :crossed:

thomas72
27/05/2011, 8:56 PM

your right it does not deserve an answer i should of said parkville C

bluewhitearmy
27/05/2011, 8:57 PM
well your in a select few who actually thinks he is a good player every person around me at games does be calling him a donkey and roaring at scully to take him off FACT. if you think he is one of or best players this season fine thats your opinon thats what football is about but i think he is rubbish he would not get on the salthill side :crossed:

Must be more then a select few seen as he was voted player of the month last month i think it was.

Your opinion man thats fair enough id just wonder where ya stand at matches.

bluepowers
28/05/2011, 3:42 AM
[/I][/B]

your right it does not deserve an answer i should of said parkville C

your clueless Peter Hynes has been our best signing so far best player we have at the moment . where you in salthill on thursday ??

thomas72
28/05/2011, 9:21 AM
your clueless Peter Hynes has been our best signing so far best player we have at the moment . where you in salthill on thursday ??

best player we have ahead of paddy, judge, McCarhty, frost, etc etc back to sleep

bluewhitearmy
28/05/2011, 11:10 AM
best player we have ahead of paddy, judge, McCarhty, frost, etc etc back to sleep

Hes playing just as well as any of the people you just named....

Its one thing having an opinion on a player but the whole he belongs at Athlone or Parkville C thing is sad.

I thought you just didnt rate him but after them stupid comments i think ill have to agree with capello that you really haven'ta clue. That or you haven't seen Limerick or Hynesy play much this year.

What part of the ground do people shout for hm to be taken off by the way cos ive never heard it and i know lads that are over behind the dug outs and behind the goals by the shop that say they have never heard it?

sadloserkid
29/05/2011, 2:26 PM
I'd be somewhere in the middle on Hynes. He's done far better than I expected him to and makes a nuisance of himself very well. Technically he's also been fairly good imo. I do agree with Thomas that he's been a little disappointing in the air. i'm happy with him overall though, he's been well worth a place and I certainly don't think he's a problem. Not having a season to rival Paddy, Judge or Frost either though.

On the other hand I'm not convinced with Brian McCarthy at all and am much, much happier when Calla is beside Paddy. I will acknowledge that McCarthy's goal was BRILLIANTLY finished alright. :)

bluewhitearmy
29/05/2011, 4:10 PM
I'd be somewhere in the middle on Hynes. He's done far better than I expected him to and makes a nuisance of himself very well. Technically he's also been fairly good imo. I do agree with Thomas that he's been a little disappointing in the air. i'm happy with him overall though, he's been well worth a place and I certainly don't think he's a problem. Not having a season to rival Paddy, Judge or Frost either though.

On the other hand I'm not convinced with Brian McCarthy at all and am much, much happier when Calla is beside Paddy. I will acknowledge that McCarthy's goal was BRILLIANTLY finished alright. :)

Im the oppossite of that i think Calla gets turned way more easily then McCarthy does i think we have given away more chance in games because of Calla then anyone else.

Jofspring
29/05/2011, 6:38 PM
Ya think McCarthy has been very solid and he has cleared the ball well. Calla has done excellent also but his clearances can go anywhere. It's great knowing we have one or the other to call on if one gets injured.

I think I'd like to see McCarthy play tomorrow purely for his extra bit of height up against Cummins.

bluepowers
29/05/2011, 10:29 PM

paddy and judgey not new haha ... hes been just as good as frosty and mccarthy

bluewhitearmy
30/05/2011, 1:58 PM
paddy and judgey not new haha ... hes been just as good as frosty and mccarthy

Whats that got to do with anything ?

He said they were playing well not that they were new at least read the post before replying to it.

Jofspring
30/05/2011, 2:12 PM
Bluepowers had said hynes was one of our best signings though so think that was what he was pointing out that Purcell and Judge aren't new players.

bluewhitearmy
30/05/2011, 2:20 PM
Ah i would have thought he would have noticed that T72 was replying to the bit about Hynes being our best player this year .

No O'Flynn tonight cant see us scoring with out him being honest we dont look any threath going forward lately.

thomas72
30/05/2011, 2:31 PM
Ah i would have thought he would have noticed that T72 was replying to the bit about Hynes being our best player this year .

No O'Flynn tonight cant see us scoring with out him being honest we dont look any threath going forward lately.

sure what about super hynes ;)

bluewhitearmy
30/05/2011, 2:47 PM
[/B]

His head wont be right over all the imaginary people shouting for him to be taken off.:ghost:

Jofspring
30/05/2011, 4:42 PM
[/B]

We already said he wasn't a goalscorer :p

Pity O'Flynn is out. Its going to make it a little tougher but he hasn't been up to much lately so its not the end of the world. Need someone like Quinn to come up with the goods.

ped_ped
30/05/2011, 8:51 PM
Scoreless draw. No complaints scoreline-wise, how was the performance?

Jofspring
30/05/2011, 9:02 PM
Scoreless draw. No complaints scoreline-wise, how was the performance?

Poor first half better second half from a Limerick perspective. O Connor was useless again, his delivery was shocking and once again he didn't look like he wanted to be on the pitch. O Leary really came into the game in the second half and did very well. Breen, Frost, Purcell, Calla, McCarthy, C.Tracey (before coming off) all did well.

Shane Duggan missed a tap in in the second half, unbelievable miss. Limerick too missed a chance with the ball coming off the post from an outstretched Paudie Quinn. The only way we looked like scoring was from a cracker.

Hope Calla and C.Tracey are ok. Last thing we need is Calla, C.Tracey, O'Flynn and S.Tracey out.

bluewhitearmy
30/05/2011, 9:15 PM
Could have done with Shane Tracy tonigh with all the frees and corners we had.

Would love to know when is Garbhan Coughlan gonna get a chance Paudie Quinn goes through games making no real impact at all. Peter White was killing us in the second half was way too easy for Cork to get down his side.

Desperately need to get Steve back in and hope he gets going we have no strikers to get goals Hynes work is coming to nothing because there is no-one there to take advantage of it. Hopefully Behan wasnt just there to watch the game.

lfc at heart
30/05/2011, 9:18 PM
excellent second half if they played like that during all the games there would be no complaints, as for O'Connor, he gave up, didnt want to be there and didnt want to know about it, I wouldnt start him in the next game,

Lim till i die
30/05/2011, 9:54 PM
Hope Calla..........are ok.

In a fairly bad way did his knee looking at a few months anyway i'd say.

Happy enough with that, didn't bottle, made a welcome change from 3 down after 10 minutes or whatever it was last time. Longford lost tonight aswell, looking like four teams fighting it out for three places, we're well in it, get a goalscorer in and we're sorted.

bluewhitearmy
30/05/2011, 10:28 PM
Been told that Calla is out for the season lads and that O'Flynn is out for 10 weeks.

We need to keep scraping wins until we can get a strike rin July.

Jofspring
30/05/2011, 10:42 PM
Been told that Calla is out for the season lads and that O'Flynn is out for 10 weeks.

We need to keep scraping wins until we can get a strike rin July.

Right so we need another striker and centre back for cover asap. Feel bad for Calla. Had heard 4 weeks for O'Flynn myself. July can't come fast enough now.

Hopefully we get Behan, we need him more than Cork do at the moment. Its the only place we are currently lacking.

El-Pietro
31/05/2011, 12:21 AM
dnt understand why ye need behan, ye already have one lump of a centre forward who doesnt score too many. hynes to be fair is quicker

ye were probably the better team tonight though we might have had the better chances, Duggan had two or three good chances tos core and I cant believe he missed the open goal.

on another note, it must be very depressing going to Jackman Park every other week. The sooner ye get out of there the better

gspain
31/05/2011, 6:56 AM
I thought we played well but didn't do enough to win. Tough on Calla and he was clearly in pain. Injuries are really mounting up now.

As everyone else is saying we need a goalscorer.

razor
31/05/2011, 7:49 AM
First half is not worth mentioning, Limerick marginally the better side in the second half but I thought we created at least 4 clear cut chances and could have won it late on.
Duggan missed 2 fantastic chances and the sooner Davin goes on honeymoon the better.

Purcell at the back was solid, even McCarthy was decent when he came on but long balls in the air are meat and drink to such players.
Hope Brian recovers soon, looked nasty as soon as he turned, pitch certainly played a part in the injury.
I was at Rockmount Park last Friday and there is no comparison.

I reckon Tommy only put Vincent on at the end to hear the announcer try and pronounce his name, biggest laugh of the night.

Jofspring
31/05/2011, 7:50 AM
dnt understand why ye need behan, ye already have one lump of a centre forward who doesnt score too many. hynes to be fair is quicker

Seems to me goalscorers are few and far between around the league. I would have thought Behan would have been a decent goalscorer for us in the first division? If not we need someone else. O'Flynn could be out for a while, Gary Sheehan is out for a while yet so we are really stuck up front.

razor
31/05/2011, 7:53 AM
Seems to me goalscorers are few and far between around the league. I would have thought Behan would have been a decent goalscorer for us in the first division? If not we need someone else. O'Flynn could be out for a while, Gary Sheehan is out for a while yet so we are really stuck up front.
We were chatting last night about and the effect he might have on First Division defences, he was never a prolific striker but I reckon he'd upset enough defenders to create goals for a strike partner.
So while he may not get the goals, a half decent finisher up with him might profit handsomely.

Jofspring
31/05/2011, 8:50 AM
We were chatting last night about and the effect he might have on First Division defences, he was never a prolific striker but I reckon he'd upset enough defenders to create goals for a strike partner.
So while he may not get the goals, a half decent finisher up with him might profit handsomely.

As mentioned above Hynes pretty much does that job already so maybe Behan isn't what we need, we'll just have to see. Breen has speed and could cause some trouble if he finds his shooting boots.

It's a pity O'Flynn hasn't got a decent run of games. He was suspended after the first game for 3 matches and now he is out injured for the same matches in the second round of fixtures.

thomas72
31/05/2011, 9:28 AM

ye were probably the better team tonight though we might have had the better chances, Duggan had two or three good chances tos core and I cant believe he missed the open goal.

on another note, it must be very depressing going to Jackman Park every other week. The sooner ye get out of there the better

LimeRick are moving into a new stadium next season with a new 3G pitch dundalk style a club bar actually stands around the pitch and not a wall :)

harpin
31/05/2011, 9:43 AM
LimeRick are moving into a new stadium next season with a new 3D pitch dundalk style a club bar actually stands around the pitch and not a wall :)

You might want to change that to 3G

bluewhitearmy
31/05/2011, 11:48 AM
Calla has ruptured a tendon in his knee lads so he gone for the season for sure.

As for Behan id still love to get him his experience would be very helpful and we are in for another striker that could score the goals from his work.

Need a new defender now aswell.

As for the announcer saying Escude-Candau ye should have heard him try to say Schlingerman when we played Athlone.

Jofspring
31/05/2011, 1:12 PM
Calla has ruptured a tendon in his knee lads so he gone for the season for sure.

As for Behan id still love to get him his experience would be very helpful and we are in for another striker that could score the goals from his work.

Need a new defender now aswell.

As for the announcer saying Escude-Candau ye should have heard him try to say Schlingerman when we played Athlone.

Lousy for Calla. He seemed to have worked hard to get back in the team.

CCCeltic
31/05/2011, 3:43 PM
I am a part time Limerick Supporter in that I don’t get to / go to see them live that often. I was at last nights match and would appreciate it if some of you real Limerick supporters that see them week in week out could answer the following for me:
1. Limerick physically are a small side with only Hynes and the two centre backs with any real height, left back frost is amazing in the air for the size of him, so why did the right back lump every ball up in the air in the first half when O'Leary & Judge were available to receive passes? The balls he played he didn’t even target Hynes, they were aimlessly punted forward.
2. Why do Limerick only play with one Centre Mid player in O'Leary? Is it a 4-3-3 with Judge and O'Connor either side of O'Leary?
3. I read a bit of the debate about "Hynes" over the last few days and to be fair to him he does try harder than Quinn, O'Connor, Breen & Judge but to honest that wouldn’t be hard and I don’t think it is the fact he is a great worker it is simply the other lads do so little it makes him stand out as doing something. To be fair to the players I named they are not about putting in a hard shift and seem to be more footballers than grafters. I think you can carry possibly 2 of the 4 flair players named in a team but the 4 of them together is too much. Do Limerick have any physical mid players that can put a tackle in and win some ball? Felt last night Cork players weren’t hassled enough and that No. 6 from Cork was dangerous when let turn and run at the Limerick defence.
4. Limerick keeper is good at barking the orders and good with the kick outs and finding players. What is he like as a shot stopper? He wasn’t really tested last night.
5. Thought overall Limerick looked the better side which given Corks record so far is heartening. Would you expect a bigger test for Limerick against Shels & Monaghan? Given last nights performance you would have to expect Cork to drop points.
6. How many of the 11 that started last night would have come from Limerick Junior Soccer? Do Limerick FC scout players from the Junior leagues and approach them as there are better strikers in Limerick Junior Soccer than what was on offer last night.
7. Is it confirmed that Limerick will play in Markets Field next season?

bluewhitearmy
31/05/2011, 4:16 PM
I am a part time Limerick Supporter in that I don’t get to / go to see them live that often. I was at last nights match and would appreciate it if some of you real Limerick supporters that see them week in week out could answer the following for me:
1. Limerick physically are a small side with only Hynes and the two centre backs with any real height, left back frost is amazing in the air for the size of him, so why did the right back lump every ball up in the air in the first half when O'Leary & Judge were available to receive passes? The balls he played he didn’t even target Hynes, they were aimlessly punted forward.

2. Why do Limerick only play with one Centre Mid player in O'Leary? Is it a 4-3-3 with Judge and O'Connor either side of O'Leary?
3. I read a bit of the debate about "Hynes" over the last few days and to be fair to him he does try harder than Quinn, O'Connor, Breen & Judge but to honest that wouldn’t be hard and I don’t think it is the fact he is a great worker it is simply the other lads do so little it makes him stand out as doing something. To be fair to the players I named they are not about putting in a hard shift and seem to be more footballers than grafters. I think you can carry possibly 2 of the 4 flair players named in a team but the 4 of them together is too much. Do Limerick have any physical mid players that can put a tackle in and win some ball? Felt last night Cork players weren’t hassled enough and that No. 6 from Cork was dangerous when let turn and run at the Limerick defence.
4. Limerick keeper is good at barking the orders and good with the kick outs and finding players. What is he like as a shot stopper? He wasn’t really tested last night.
5. Thought overall Limerick looked the better side which given Corks record so far is heartening. Would you expect a bigger test for Limerick against Shels & Monaghan? Given last nights performance you would have to expect Cork to drop points.
6. How many of the 11 that started last night would have come from Limerick Junior Soccer? Do Limerick FC scout players from the Junior leagues and approach them as there are better strikers in Limerick Junior Soccer than what was on offer last night.
7. Is it confirmed that Limerick will play in Markets Field next season?

1: Couldnt tell ya to be fair it was very annoying though the lads are a bit nervous to play it out of the back at times.

2:We play a diamond its something like
................O Leary............
Judge...................O Connor
................Quinn..........

3.To be honest dont think Judge shoould be in that list at all he is one of the hardest workers and one of the best players we have had all year always puts in a good shift. Bit harsh on Breen too he is just back from over a month out with injury so probably just got tired. And no we dont have any tough tackling midfielder its that and a striker we need to be real contenders imo.

4.With how good the defence is he is very rarely tested to be honest he has made some very very good saves but also has cost us 2 goals with some mistakes. Thinks its 8 clean sheest in 13 now though.

5.Id say Shels and Monaghan will be the same level as Cork being honest none of them seemed mucch better then Cork when we have played them earlier in the season Monaghan were very fortunate to get anything as we hammered them all game only for them to get an injury time equaliser.

6. 2 of lastnight starting 11 ( Judge and Calla). Dont think there is better strikers beinghonest we had theh best striker from junior in Shane Clarke but he ddint want to stay other then him i dont know who would be good enough to score regularly in LOI. They do scout the league but its hard to actually get the players to come and most are not good eough.

7. Yes it has been confirmed that we are moving to the Markets Field.

Hope that helps only my opinions though.:D

Lim till i die
31/05/2011, 10:25 PM
ye should have heard him try to say Schlingerman when we played Athlone.

http://www.thcfarmer.com/forums/attachments/144084d1303795174-wyoming-troopers-colorado-springs-man-had-68-pounds-dried-pot-car-vern-schillinger_l.jpg.att