PDA

View Full Version : Week ending 27/05/11( Now with added Thursday!)

BonnieShels
26/05/2011, 7:43 PM
Surprised no one is on this already...

Premier Division: (all ko 1945 unless otherwise stated)
St. Patrick's Athletic v Sligo Rovers
Galway United v Drogheda United
Dundalk v Derry City
Bray Wanderers v Shamrock Rovers
Bohemians v UCD

First Division:
Finn Harps v Athlone Town (2000)
Waterford United v Monaghan United
Salthill Devon v Limerick FC
Longford Town v Wexford Youths
Cork City v Mervue United (1830)

Fester
26/05/2011, 7:53 PM
Scores so far '47:

St. Patrick's Athletic 1 v 1 Sligo Rovers
Galway United 1 v 0 Drogheda United
Dundalk 1 v 0 Derry City
Bray Wanderers 0 v 0 Shamrock Rovers
Bohemians 1 v 0 UCD

Magicme
26/05/2011, 8:03 PM
Mons winning 1-0 in Waterford.

Magicme
26/05/2011, 8:38 PM
FT Waterford United 0-1 Monaghan United

placid casual
26/05/2011, 8:50 PM
dagnabit.
Bray really are Rovers bogey side this season.
luckily no-one of any significance won tonight so its as you were , so to speak.

Mr A
26/05/2011, 8:56 PM
Harps win!

Holy feck!

http://gnomemania.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/everything_went_better_than_expected.jpg

Dodge
26/05/2011, 8:56 PM
Danny North with Pats winner in 94th minute. An absolute belter of a goal

mcgonigle
26/05/2011, 9:08 PM
dagnabit.
luckily no-one of any significance won tonight so its as you were , so to speak.

There is no-one of significance compared to the all mighty rovers!! Hope you can drag that big head home

Dunny
26/05/2011, 9:10 PM
Get in!

http://i55.tinypic.com/vqmfzo.png

bullit
26/05/2011, 9:15 PM
dagnabit.
Bad losers and bad winners,and yous wonder why yee get no credit !! Absolute twotishness,

Hurt Locker
26/05/2011, 9:34 PM
dagnabit.

Watch out Pats are on a charge!!

Some very interesting results tonight, great for the league overall and makes things very thight.

Everyone give Bray around of applause :star::victory::bigsmile:

Dunny
26/05/2011, 9:38 PM
Tighter than a ducks arse!

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/images/236-01.gif

placid casual
26/05/2011, 9:46 PM
There is no-one of significance compared to the all mighty rovers!! Hope you can drag that big head home

jaysis your no columbo are ye!
posting 5 mins after Rovers game should lead you to deduce i wasnt at the game at the seaside.
i was takin the pi$$ pal, cheer up you won ,after all.

mcgonigle
26/05/2011, 9:55 PM
jaysis your no columbo are ye!
posting 5 mins after Rovers game should lead you to deduce i wasnt at the game at the seaside.
i was takin the pi$$ pal, cheer up you won ,after all.

Yeah of course you were, keep digging. Ah sure your nonsense just makes it sweeter for the rest of us.

Silly me thinking you might be on your mobile, but I should of known you'd be house bound with that mallet!

Oh I do like to live beside the seaside..... Happy Thursday KOW

hoops1
26/05/2011, 10:09 PM
1-0 wasnt a fair reflection on the game tonight, Bray really should have had another 1 or 2.

nigel-harps1954
26/05/2011, 10:31 PM
I'm not quite sure how to put into words how I feel. Harps won, kept a clean sheet, and should really have had about 6. This is just a strange feeling. Athlone are muck though. Plain and simple.

Martinho II
26/05/2011, 10:34 PM
town won two one in flancare tonight against youths.. austin skelly and cathal brady were goalscorers for us.. youths scored from a peno..

Dodge
26/05/2011, 11:17 PM
http://youtu.be/eNJ0D1cUJBY

YOu can check out the Pats winner a minute into that...

juan
26/05/2011, 11:19 PM
We beat Mervue 3-0 this evening. Vinny Sullivan and Graham Cummins both missed open goals and we had a couple of goals disallowed too. Johnny Glynn was sent to the stands in injury time after having a go at Tommy Dunne and kicking a ball into our dug-out.

BonnieShels
26/05/2011, 11:20 PM
Tighter than a ducks arse!

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/images/236-01.gif

OMG!

The English Premier League is now on 237... The barstoolers won't know what hit em!

Dunny
26/05/2011, 11:21 PM
OMG!

The English Premier League is now on 237... The barstoolers won't know what hit em!

:D Picked up on that aswell. Was waiting on you to comment!

Jofspring
26/05/2011, 11:34 PM
1-0 win for us tonight against Salthill. Was a tough match but a result was grounded out. Level best defense in both divisions with only 6 conceeded. Need to get our act together in front of goals though.

harleyleeds
26/05/2011, 11:39 PM
http://youtu.be/eNJ0D1cUJBY

YOu can check out the Pats winner a minute into that...

great strike for sure . well done.

Hurt Locker
26/05/2011, 11:43 PM
1-0 win for us tonight against Salthill. Was a tough match but a result was grounded out. Level best defense in both divisions with only 6 conceeded. Need to get our act together in front of goals though.

Good result for Limerick,(iffy peno) Purcell has always been one of the best center halfs for the past 7-8 years, a 16 year old was playing for Salthill, fair play, was he any good?

Nah Nah Nah Nah
26/05/2011, 11:49 PM
2 great goals from Danny North tonight. Don't remember either keeper making a save of any note throughout the game mind. Thought a draw was a fair result as we entered injury time.

Some strange substitutions from Cook tonight I thought. We were on top for a good bit of the second half and then Danny Ventre comes into midfield for Kirby. Also taking Doyle off, while he wasn't doing a huge pile, he could easily have been played elsewhere. Or maybe we could have gone with 2 up front. Thought Pats were there for the taking. McGuinness and the keeper as dodgy as usual.

Having said all that Daryl Kavanagh was absolutely brilliant I thought. I think we were linked with him during the off season. Our loss.

Jofspring
26/05/2011, 11:56 PM
Good result for Limerick,(iffy peno) Purcell has always been one of the best center halfs for the past 7-8 years, a 16 year old was playing for Salthill, fair play, was he any good?

Was a handball alright, the centre back didn't even argue with the decision and the ref was right in front of it.

Purcell is outstanding and by far the best centre back in the First Division. Now that he is in probably his best physical fitness I've ever seen him in he would definitely walk into most Premier teams.

16 year old came on for Limerick too.....If the Salthill lad is the guy I'm thinking of he didn't get much ball.

Kavanagh seems to be having a great season for Pats. Majority of the time he was always only ok for us. Skillful and would score the odd goal but was always too selfish and lost possession a lot. Fair play to him.

dfx-
27/05/2011, 12:28 AM
There is no-one of significance compared to the all mighty rovers!!

Correct!

I'm seriously over Rovers playing very poorly at Bray in the cold. It was the turning point of last season though. Nice new fence. Buttimer should be ashamed of himself tonight. Well deserved win again for Bray nevertheless.

monsexile
27/05/2011, 7:51 AM
Very happy with last night's win. That's seven wins in a row against Waterford in the league!!
Signicantly after shopping goals away from home earlier in the season, Roddy rejigged the defence after Mervue - with Alan and Philip Byrne in the middle - and we haven't conceded away.
Hope we don't get complacent for Harps visit. Just the wrong time to be playing them.
Shaping up to be a hell of a division again this season - four points covering the top 5.

hoopy
27/05/2011, 12:12 PM
Excellent performance from Bray,1-0 flattered us. Some disgraceful refereeing but that's not Bray's fault and it wasn't the reason for the result.

Ezeikial
27/05/2011, 12:29 PM
Well deserved win again for Bray nevertheless.

Excellent performance from Bray,1-0 flattered us.

Where did this new found realism / modesty from some Hoops supporters come from?

Please get the normal arrogance restored asap. This stuff is confusing for me and hurts my head

hoopy
27/05/2011, 12:57 PM
I always try to give credit to honest players/teams. But the league is still a formality, any idiot can see that.

Roo69
27/05/2011, 1:05 PM
Excellent performance from Bray,1-0 flattered us. Some disgraceful refereeing but that's not Bray's fault and it wasn't the reason for the result.

Spot on, some of the decisions that he made were absolutely disgraceful, he had a really poor game.

It's not often i can say it as a Bray fan but i was down beat on only winning 1-0, we dominated the first half and really should have been 2 or 3 up but a win is a win and it keeps us in the mix

dfx-
27/05/2011, 1:07 PM
No doubt the refereeing had anything to do with the result, but it still has to be called. Even had he given out the cards he should've done to Bray players for taking down Sheppard on the edge of the box or kicking the ball away or the linesman seeing the ball was out of play (which Sullivan got booked for calling the linesman out on) which ultimately led to the pressure that brought the goal....Bray should've been 2-0 up at HT and Rovers wouldn't have beaten 8 men last night.

Ezeikial
27/05/2011, 1:11 PM
It was a cracking football match in Oriel Park last night with both teams looking to play good football despite the high winds.

There were many star performers for Dundalk last night - while Colin Hawkins won the Setanta MOTM, the local journos gave the award to Mark Griffen. Yet another teenager, among many in the Dundalk squad, Griffen scored twice against UCD in his full league debut last week and was magnificant again last night causing the Derry defence all sorts of problems with his movement, speed and touch.

Despite the incredible injury list that Dundalk have endured over the last couple of months the league results have been really impressive and go into the match in Sligo on Monday on the back of an 8 match unbeaten run in the league.

Since the last defeat away to Derry in early April, Dundalk have been the form team with 5 wins and 3 draws with only 3 goals conceded. For a team that was leaking goals in the early part of the season, this has been a tremendous turnaround with 4 consecutive clean sheets.

Its hard to imagine that the injuries, suspensions and knocks will not eventually impact on results, particularly with such a small and young squad. But they are well capable of chalking up a 4th away win on the spin in Sligo on Monday night. With Sligo also interested in playing good football it should be a good night to be in the Showgrounds.

PartySaint
27/05/2011, 1:29 PM
Jason McGuinness wont have got much sleep last night, Images of Daryl Kavanagh taking the complete **** out of him would have haunted him the whole night, He couldn't get close to him and when he did Kavo had a lovely backheel flick over his head then ran onto the ball decided to take the ball around him again then crossed it, He is a superstar

Trap was also there tonight, Kavo for Ireland

Roo69
27/05/2011, 1:47 PM
No doubt the refereeing had anything to do with the result, but it still has to be called. Even had he given out the cards he should've done to Bray players for taking down Sheppard on the edge of the box or kicking the ball away or the linesman seeing the ball was out of play (which Sullivan got booked for calling the linesman out on) which ultimately led to the pressure that brought the goal....Bray should've been 2-0 up at HT and Rovers wouldn't have beaten 8 men last night.

Sullivan didn't get booked for the ball going out of play, he got booked for calling the ref a f*cking dope as a result of the ref and lino missing the ball going out of play.

dfx-
27/05/2011, 2:17 PM
And he's not wrong. Everyone from the 18-yard line in the ground knew that ball was out of play, including the linesman who I had the same angle and he was looking at it. You'd have to be a f*cking dope to not have seen it.

Buttimer will probably get away with it again because the standard is so poor anyway and his performance didn't materially affect the result like a penalty decision or red card or a ghost goal.

bluewhitearmy
27/05/2011, 2:41 PM
Very happy with last night's win. That's seven wins in a row against Waterford in the league!!
Signicantly after shopping goals away from home earlier in the season, Roddy rejigged the defence after Mervue - with Alan and Philip Byrne in the middle - and we haven't conceded away.
Hope we don't get complacent for Harps visit. Just the wrong time to be playing them.
Shaping up to be a hell of a division again this season - four points covering the top 5.

Or Dave Rogers left.

passerrby
27/05/2011, 2:55 PM
Or Dave Rogers left.

mons could of and should have scored another two but a result is a result onwards and upwards, roddy doing a great job

Dodge
27/05/2011, 3:11 PM
http://vimeo.com/24313172

Fans video of North's winner. Brilliant move too, considering it was the 94th minute

Roo69
27/05/2011, 3:42 PM
And he's not wrong. Everyone from the 18-yard line in the ground knew that ball was out of play, including the linesman who I had the same angle and he was looking at it. You'd have to be a f*cking dope to not have seen it..

No matter what the decision is, scream that at a ref like that and you deserve and will get booked.

Buttimer will probably get away with it again because the standard is so poor anyway and his performance didn't materially affect the result like a penalty decision or red card or a ghost goal.

Fully agreed, they were all poor decision in the middle of the park, nothing game changing what so ever, Rovers never looked like scoring.

born2bwild
27/05/2011, 4:09 PM
It was a cracking football match in Oriel Park last night with both teams looking to play good football despite the high winds.

There were many star performers for Dundalk last night - while Colin Hawkins won the Setanta MOTM, the local journos gave the award to Mark Griffen. Yet another teenager, among many in the Dundalk squad, Griffen scored twice against UCD in his full league debut last week and was magnificant again last night causing the Derry defence all sorts of problems with his movement, speed and touch.

Despite the incredible injury list that Dundalk have endured over the last couple of months the league results have been really impressive and go into the match in Sligo on Monday on the back of an 8 match unbeaten run in the league.

Since the last defeat away to Derry in early April, Dundalk have been the form team with 5 wins and 3 draws with only 3 goals conceded. For a team that was leaking goals in the early part of the season, this has been a tremendous turnaround with 4 consecutive clean sheets.

Its hard to imagine that the injuries, suspensions and knocks will not eventually impact on results, particularly with such a small and young squad. But they are well capable of chalking up a 4th away win on the spin in Sligo on Monday night. With Sligo also interested in playing good football it should be a good night to be in the Showgrounds.
Interesting match in Oriel. Derry went out set up for a draw and when they went a goal down they didn't adjust that set up. Dundalk were playing 4-3-3 and Derry 4-5-1, Derry were obviously setting up to neutralise Kearns and Quigley but it didn't work because after going a goal down and staying set up like that what was cautious became defeatist. Zayed was a big problem for them too. Kept complaining and whinging at team mates and the officials. I got the sense that his attitude was spreading throughout the team. I've seen Dundalk five times this season and last night was the best I've seen them. (And no Jayo, either!)

born2bwild
27/05/2011, 5:13 PM
Purcell is outstanding and by far the best centre back in the First Division. Now that he is in probably his best physical fitness I've ever seen him in he would definitely walk into most Premier teams.

I saw Purcell against Monaghan a few weeks back. Great player. Better than Paisley for Shels? Who knows? Maybe they could have fistfight to settle it?

Jofspring
27/05/2011, 5:55 PM
I saw Purcell against Monaghan a few weeks back. Great player. Better than Paisley for Shels? Who knows? Maybe they could have fistfight to settle it?

Paisley is a very good defender but since Purcell has gotten fit I think he just shades him. Purcell has got an extra yard of pace that he didn't have in previous seasons and has been very commanding at the back.

When Shels some down in a few weeks they can have a fist fight at half time in the middle of the pitch.

born2bwild
27/05/2011, 6:32 PM
Paisley is a very good defender but since Purcell has gotten fit I think he just shades him. Purcell has got an extra yard of pace that he didn't have in previous seasons and has been very commanding at the back.

When Shels some down in a few weeks they can have a fist fight at half time in the middle of the pitch.
Hmmm...could be lengthened to a one-hour half time. Chicken and dog fighting as support bouts. Serious money to be made there. If every club in the league put that into practice all the LOI's money troubles would disappear. Would have saved Fingal too.

Hurt Locker
27/05/2011, 11:44 PM
Paisley is a very good defender but since Purcell has gotten fit I think he just shades him. .

Purcell was at Waterford when they threw away a fai cup final in last 5mins. He has refused any Dublin clubs when they come calling for some reason. Class player!

BonnieShels
28/05/2011, 1:17 AM
:D Picked up on that aswell. Was waiting on you to comment!

Uh oh... I have a reputation.

Cripes!