PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Scotland - Sunday, 29th May 2011 - Carling Nations Cup

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

ifk101
25/05/2011, 12:25 PM
What's our squad for this game?

Sullivinho
25/05/2011, 12:34 PM
Anyone who isn't AWOL, in hospital or dead.

ifk101
25/05/2011, 12:43 PM
Anyone who isn't AWOL, in hospital or dead.

I'll bring the boots then.

Eminence Grise
25/05/2011, 12:51 PM
It'll all be revealed when Lord Lucan rides in to town on Shergar dragging McCarthy and Wilson behind him.

SwanVsDalton
25/05/2011, 1:24 PM
Kenny
Steven Reid
O'Brien
Wilson
Harte
Hoolahan
McCarthy
Ireland
Andy Reid
Stokes
Walters

TiocfaidhArmani
25/05/2011, 3:10 PM
We won't have a strong team for this and Scotland will, so I fancy them for this one.

Hibs4Ever
25/05/2011, 5:00 PM
We won't have a strong team for this and Scotland will, so I fancy them for this one.

Scotland have a strong team?

Sullivinho
25/05/2011, 5:42 PM
The Scots are handy enough around the middle of the field these days but pickings are still fairly slim at the back and up front. Fletcher at Wolves hasn't made himself available to Levein and they haven't much else apart from Miller. That Adam is a dinger from set pieces though.

TiocfaidhArmani
25/05/2011, 6:57 PM
Scotland have a strong team?

Compared to ours, nowhere near as many pull-outs.

backstothewall
25/05/2011, 7:58 PM
Unless they get their fingers out its going to be a dead rubber. We could be inaugural champions of the Carling Nations Cup in 40 mins (Or all but. They would have to win 6-0 to win it)

backstothewall
25/05/2011, 7:59 PM
Jinxed it

elroy
25/05/2011, 8:54 PM
So its a straight shoot out on Sunday for the Cup!! :) Although a draw will do us.

I actually think Sunday might be a decent game. Hopefully some good weather as well and we might get a decent crowd.

tetsujin1979
25/05/2011, 9:37 PM
Whelan and Fahey to join the squad, I'd like to see them given a chance as the starting central midfield partnership

legendz
25/05/2011, 9:58 PM
Jinxed it is right. I was hoping for the same. I think the Scot's will win it. I think Levein will want to win this. I'm sure Trap and our lads, those who have turned up will as well, but we'll miss out this time.

geysir
25/05/2011, 9:59 PM
Whelan and Fahey or Whelan and Andrews?
We look a bit more stable in the middle since Andrews has returned. I'm more curious to see who will start at LM. These couple of friendlies might be just what we needed before Macedonia.
Houghton reckoned that Trap will start with his first 11 against Scotland.

Kingdom
25/05/2011, 10:48 PM
I assumed Trap was going to use the squad filler last night and then have as close to his first team against the Scots and Mace, before returning to the filler for Italy. That's why he's been so ****ed I'd say.

The problem with yesterdays game is that all of the good performances (Cox, Treacy, Foley, Ward) have a massive asterix beside them because the North were so bad. While Delaney was purposeful and was the more evident of the two centre halfs, I think we were lucky we were playing neighbours and naive footballers. By that I mean the way he went into tackles or how he tried to nick the ball from behind the centre-forward - a continental player will exploit that all day long.

I'd like to see Whelan and Fahey start together on Sunday. We know what we'll get from Glenn and Keith together. I'd also like to see Foley and Cox get another run out. Both are extremely comfortable on the ball.

I still don't know what the squad for Sunday is so if there is an obvious error, apologies. I'd like to see this:

Given

Foley
St Ledger
Delaney
Ward

Coleman
Fahey
Whelan
Treacy

Keane
Cox

backstothewall
25/05/2011, 10:57 PM
I still don't know what the squad for Sunday is so if there is an obvious error, apologies. I'd like to see this:

I have the same problem. Not sure who we have

Given

Foley
Kelly
Wilson**
Ward

Lawrence
Fahey
Whelan*
Hunt

Keane
Walters*

* Assuming the Stoke lads have arrived now
** I assume he arrived with the other Stoke lads

Would like to see Randolph get on at some stage as well, and I think it would be well worth sending for Daryl Murphy at this stage

Charlie Darwin
26/05/2011, 12:48 AM
Leon Best is fit again so he'd be in ahead of Murphy any day.

Centre mid is tough. Andrews needs the game time but Whelan also needs some time to make sure he's sharp for Macedonia. Fahey and Foley might have to lose out, though perhaps Foley will slot in at right back and Fahey on the left of midfield.

elroy
26/05/2011, 10:12 AM
Does anyone have a firm update on where we stand with the troublemakers??

Wilson - Injured or available? Is he here now?
McCarthy - 'Injured'
Walters - Is he available and here now?
Best- Ditto

Stuttgart88
26/05/2011, 10:22 AM
Wilson (hamstring - allegedly) and Walters (shoulder fracture - "gutted to be missing out") definitely out.

McCarthy presumably out but FAI can invoke the (ambiguous) FIFA rules if they want.

Best - no update. Rumour was that he might be able to shake off his knock.

Is Folan to be added to the "troublemakers" list or had he made contact about his injury?

bwagner
26/05/2011, 10:27 AM
Folan is a total knacker! the amount of squads he pulled out off, even going back to Stan'day reign of terror. Totally a merc im my views

geysir
26/05/2011, 10:28 AM
If Folan is not selected by the Rapids in their squad then we can say he is probably injured.

SwanVsDalton
26/05/2011, 10:32 AM
Trap usually likes to do it the day before, so I presume we'll hear about a possible team today?

Something like this I'd suppose:

Given

Foley
Kelly
Delaney
Ward

Coleman
Whelan
Andrews/Fahey
Hunt

Keane
Cox

Excepting those yet to join the squad, it's as close as possible to who'll play in Skopje. Hunt should start over Treacy, since he's in line for Macedonia. Andrews looked steady on Tuesday and Trap always had a soft spot for him, but he's just back from injury. Likewise there's questions over Fahey's fitness so not entirely sure there. Can't see Sledge or O'Dea playing - I'd keep Sledge in cotton wool in the hope he'll make Macedonia (though I have faith Delaney could step in if needs be).

ifk101
26/05/2011, 10:37 AM
Trap usually likes to do it the day before, so I presume we'll hear about a possible team today?

Match is on Sunday.

SwanVsDalton
26/05/2011, 10:37 AM
Match is on Sunday.

Oh aye, right enough! I'm away with the birds today...

Park_Lane
26/05/2011, 10:43 AM
Kenny
Steven Reid
O'Brien
Wilson
Harte
Hoolahan
McCarthy
Ireland
Andy Reid
Stokes
Walters

Jaysus thats a pretty good team on paper

ifk101
26/05/2011, 10:45 AM
Given

Foley
Kelly
Delaney
Ward

Coleman
Whelan
Andrews/Fahey
Hunt

Keane
Cox

I'd pick pretty much the same team you have chosen. Treacy got to start against NI so I'd start Hunt for this one. A similar logic could be used for the other wing but I want Coleman to get more game time. Back four picks itself due to the lack of options. I'd give Andrews another 90 minutes and Fahey + Whelan 45 mins each. Cox and Keane upfront.

SwanVsDalton
26/05/2011, 10:55 AM
Jaysus thats a pretty good team on paper

Yeah but half of them won't turn up for kick-off, Steven Reid would do his wrist signing an autograph pre-game and Andy Reid would go AWOL in the burger queue.

SkStu
27/05/2011, 1:38 AM
Folan is injured. Hasnt been selected due to injury for the last 3 Rapids games. Ankle injury iirc. Will be out for a few more games.

elroy
27/05/2011, 9:29 AM
When is McGeady joining the squad? After the scots game?

Given Hunts recent form and Duffs injury, Stevie H has to be a starter in Macedonia.

tetsujin1979
27/05/2011, 9:32 AM
When is McGeady joining the squad? After the scots game?

Given Hunts recent form and Duffs injury, Stevie H has to be a starter in Macedonia.
Probably, although I wouldn't be surprised to see McGeady and Coleman on the wings, with Hunt coming off the bench

SwanVsDalton
27/05/2011, 9:43 AM
How far down the pecking order has Lawrence slipped? I still have a sneaking suspicion Lawrence would be more likely to play than Coleman simply because he Trap likely trusts him more...

DannyInvincible
28/05/2011, 5:54 AM
Gary Caldwell is battling a hip injury: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1391738/New-Scotland-skipper-Kenny-Miller-backs-Craig-Levein.html

I suppose we'd like to see the strongest line-up the Scots can offer on display as it wouldn't be optimal for inexperienced faces, at the back especially, to go into the game in Skopje largely untested.

AlaskaFox
28/05/2011, 11:03 AM
I'll just put this here:
http://greenscene.me/2011/05/republic-of-ireland-v-scotland-match-history/

ArdeeBhoy
28/05/2011, 11:04 AM
Kenny
Steven Reid
O'Brien
Wilson
Harte
Hoolahan
McCarthy
Ireland
Andy Reid
Stokes
Walters
If only....

Bottle of Tonic
28/05/2011, 12:20 PM
Im in a weird situation for this match. An Irishman living in Scotland who follows the scottish game and only sees the odd EPL match, due to all our injuries/cry-offs I barely recognise the likes of Cox, Tracey, Foley, Ward etc and know the Scotch team far better. Maybe thats why I fancy them 2-1. Neither defence great tbf.

co. down green
28/05/2011, 1:41 PM
Provisional Ireland team to play Scotland in Carling Nations Cup at the Aviva Stadium on Sunday, 29 May:

Given, McShane, O'Dea, Kelly, Ward, Lawrence, Andrews, Fahey, Hunt, Keane, Cox.

Sullivinho
28/05/2011, 1:49 PM
Provisional Ireland team to play Scotland in Carling Nations Cup at the Aviva Stadium on Sunday, 29 May:

Given, McShane, O'Dea, Kelly, Ward, Lawrence, Andrews, Fahey, Hunt, Keane, Cox.

I wonder if McShane's inclusion at RB ahead of Foley is an indication of things to come re Macedonia..

Stuttgart88
28/05/2011, 2:13 PM
Yes, I think Trap trusts McShane.

Noelys Guitar
28/05/2011, 2:16 PM
Tardelli specifically mentioned McShane yesterday in relation to the right full position. I'll see if I can find the article again. I still hope they go with Foley next week. Interesting to see how this team does against a fairly useful full strength Scottish team. Ward at left back. Cox and Keane partnership and great to see Hunt back in the side.

geysir
28/05/2011, 2:36 PM
Ward gets another big chance at LB, but if we had a dollar for every prediction of KK's imminent demotion......

Sullivinho
28/05/2011, 2:39 PM
Yes, I think Trap trusts McShane.

I feel like I've just been told the tumor is malignant..

Ah no, I absolutely love the fella's attitude, wish it could be grafted onto a few more of 'em but I feel the guy has limitations on his ability and worse - bad mistakes lurking. Hopefully he proves me well wrong if chosen for the task.

Cox and Keane partnership and great to see Hunt back in the side.

Cox showed one or two touches in the last game to suggest he can link well with a partner. Lookin' forward to seeing more of that alright.

TrapAPony
28/05/2011, 3:02 PM
I wonder if McShane's inclusion at RB ahead of Foley is an indication of things to come re Macedonia..

Trapattoni would be some gimp if he picks McShane at right back against Macedonia. There would be absolutely no excuse for it.

Dalymount Roar
28/05/2011, 3:28 PM
McShane - Paris ; Bari ; Home to Cyprus

Never mind the hand of Henry - when JOSH had to go off in Paris and McShane appeared, there was a collective groan - country wide. That was the moment we missed out; had JOSH not been injured we would have been on the plane to South Africa.

Is Trap blinded by something here? There are numerous better options - Foley, Kelly, etc etc.

If he does it again in Macedonia it will be a recurrring nightmare......

Stuttgart88
28/05/2011, 4:31 PM
Maybe he's just giving him game time in case he's needed. I'm sure Foley deserves a rest at this stage, but Kelly at CB indicates that Trap is thinking of McShane. I don't agree (in fact it scares the sh1t out of me), but let's not forget that Foley has been prone to the odd brain fart when it comes to holding an offside line, which also worries me.

Noelys Guitar
28/05/2011, 6:23 PM
I can't find the exact quote from Tardelli yesterday but it was something like "we do not see McShane as a center back but as a right back". And Tardelli was talking about the Macedonia match not tomorrows match and hey ho McShane starts as right back against Scotland. There could be a lot of people hiding behind couches for 90 plus minutes next Saturday. Might well depend on how McShane plays tomorrow whether he gets the nod over Foley (who I prefer to see playing in midfield) for next weeks game.

legendz
28/05/2011, 10:44 PM
I can't believe McShambles is being considered. Is there a right-back in the LoI who can do a job there?

Fixer82
29/05/2011, 12:20 AM
That passback in the first half against the north almost did Given in. The lad is a liability. His last good game for us was his debut!

DannyInvincible
29/05/2011, 12:33 AM
He was voted man-of-the-match that night, which was especially exciting as was up against a man nearly twice his height! Never quite lived up to the expectation.

Incidentally, what height is McShane? Wiki has him listed as 6 feet. Is that correct? He's always appeared smaller than that to me for some reason.

BonnieShels
29/05/2011, 1:20 AM
Bear in mind though Danny, as good as he was that night he managed to make the mistake that cost us the goal. We shoulda known!