PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Scotland - Sunday, 29th May 2011 - Carling Nations Cup

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

geysir
29/05/2011, 7:04 PM
I don't understand the ch switch, unless Trap would be loathe to take off McShane in order for Foley to get a look in at RB

zero
29/05/2011, 7:08 PM
hanging on a bit now, will still about 15 to go.

geysir
29/05/2011, 7:08 PM
Shake hands with Kenny Miller and he'll hit the floor rolling in agony

Sullivinho
29/05/2011, 7:09 PM
Our defence looks very ropey in my opinion.

Threadbare. Kelly and McShane as a central partnership...jeepers. Ward letting a ball sail over his head in fine Killer style. It's sobering that we've only got O'Shea and a half-fit St. Ledger to come back into it.

ArdeeBhoy
29/05/2011, 7:10 PM
Trap's in league with the Mafia.

There's an obligation to play McShane or Kilbane in every game.
And double if both play. Who knows the potential bounty on June 7??
:rolleyes:

DannyInvincible
29/05/2011, 7:12 PM
Dangerous spell from Scotland here, but defence standing firm for now. As David Provan says on Sky, "exactly the test Trapattoni would have wanted".

Still going on about Miller's penalty shout. Was daft stuff from Hunt, but Miller made the most of it.

zero
29/05/2011, 7:14 PM
unsure if coleman has touched the ball since coming on. no real reflection on him though.

DannyInvincible
29/05/2011, 7:16 PM
Keith Treacy on for Robbie. Robbie's had a good two games. He's shown he clearly still has plenty left in the tank - proving the doubters wrong as ever - and most importantly, should be fit and confident going into the vital Macedonia game. Plus, he has "the" record to aim at for further motivation.

Sullivinho
29/05/2011, 7:17 PM
Q: Is Stephen Kelly a CB?
A: No.

DannyInvincible
29/05/2011, 7:21 PM
Miller should have scored there, but places it around Given's post by a few inches.

Will there be a lavish and enthusiastic trophy presentation ceremony after this? The underwhelming nature of the whole thing would make it seem a tad unfitting.

Sullivinho
29/05/2011, 7:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04854XqcfCY

3 wins out of 3. 9 goals scored, none conceded. A few ranking points, a trophy and Simon Cox.

Not bad.

DannyInvincible
29/05/2011, 7:25 PM
In spite of our obvious defensive frailties, it bodes well that we've come through this tournament without conceding a goal. We've always been prone to conceding one or two per game under Trap.

Anyway, we've won; out to the streets with my tricolour.

DannyInvincible
29/05/2011, 7:27 PM
Robbie mentions Bobby Charlton's record again there in Sky's post-game interview, ha.

Stephen Kelly given the man-of-the-match award.

theworm2345
Haha posted the same thing at the same time in the Celtic Cup thread Sullivinho

ArdeeBhoy
They'll be dancing in the streets, of Carlingford....

:rolleyes:

geysir
I suppose we are a good pub team.

Sullivinho
29/05/2011, 7:30 PM
Haha posted the same thing at the same time in the Celtic Cup thread Sullivinho

Hehheh. Bit of an obvious one wasn't it? I wonder which one of us had our tongues furthest in cheek whilst doing so? ;)

DannyInvincible
29/05/2011, 7:31 PM
Confetti and champagne; fantastically ridiculous.

Lap of honour?

boovidge
29/05/2011, 7:33 PM
Great confidence booster from a hard fought friendly,exactly what the tournamant was designed for from the team's perspective.

theworm2345
29/05/2011, 7:33 PM
Hehheh. Bit of an obvious one wasn't it? I wonder which one of us had our tongues furthest in cheek whilst doing so? ;)
I was actually thinking of posting William Hung's version as that may have been more appropriate :p

Stuttgart88
29/05/2011, 7:35 PM
I hate this "without conceding a goal" bit. The difference between a clean sheet and shipping 3 like we did against Australia was very fine indeed.

I thought SKY got a bit carried away with Miller's penalty appeal. It'd have been very soft.

I was 6/10 at half time. I reckon 5/10 at full time. Very ropey defence and our midfielders couldn't get on it at all. All in all very patchy and disappointly low tempo. Assuming SSL isn't fit, I really would prefer Delaney alongside O'Shea at CB. Foley and Killer at full back. Ward did well at times and was asleep at times. How on earth we managed to contrive to give away a free on 18 yards at full time is amazing. We had the ball deep in their half seconds earlier and gave away TWO frees!

Cox did well though.

Real ale Madrid
29/05/2011, 7:35 PM
What the hell is with the Bobby Charlton thing? He'll be after Pele's record next?

Stuttgart88
29/05/2011, 7:37 PM
Queen "We Are The Champions".

As the great Barry Davies once said "Oh change the record", exasperated that yet another European final was ruined by that dirge.

Noelys Guitar
29/05/2011, 7:39 PM
Levein just said Scotland deserved to win. OK Craig. We definetely need O'Shea back next week. Big plusses Keane and Given. We controlled 75% of the game fairly easily against a much improved Scotland team. Good test for next weeks game. Really like Cox's movement and close control around/in the box. and very hard player to push off the ball.

legendz
29/05/2011, 7:40 PM
A win is a win. Despite all the criticisms, it's good to win the tournament. Hopefully the lads can kick on from here and qualify for the Euro's.

geysir
29/05/2011, 7:43 PM
Really like Cox's movement and close control around/in the box. and very hard player to push off the ball.
Cox has balls.

Condex
29/05/2011, 7:51 PM
Levein just said Scotland deserved to win. OK Craig. We definetely need O'Shea back next week. Big plusses Keane and Given. We controlled 75% of the game fairly easily against a much improved Scotland team. Good test for next weeks game. Really like Cox's movement and close control around/in the box. and very hard player to push off the ball.

Don't know what game you were watching but Scotland did not deserve to lose.

They were the only team that played any football in second half at times we looked like a disorganized rabble.

Sullivinho
29/05/2011, 7:55 PM
Really like Cox's movement and close control around/in the box. and very hard player to push off the ball.

Behave.

Good addition alright. I don't think either of us is keeping caviar but our larder is significantly better stocked than Scotland's for forwards. I wouldn't want to be pinning my qualification hopes on Kenny Miller.

TrapAPony
29/05/2011, 7:56 PM
Happy with Ireland's win considering that that was almost Scotland's full team & our squad was missing Dunne, O'Shea, Duff, Gibson, Whelan, McGeady, Doyle, McCarthy, Wilson, Clark, Walters, Best, Long, Kilbane, Cunningham & Westwood, but it was good to see Cox & Ward prove themselves to be decent additions. Also a big well done to Robbie Keane.

Sullivinho
29/05/2011, 8:03 PM
..our squad was missing Dunne, O'Shea, Duff, Gibson, Whelan, McGeady, Doyle, McCarthy, Wilson, Clark, Walters, Best, Long, Kilbane, Cunningham & Westwood..

No less than 16 players mentioned there. And you could add St. Ledger to it.

TrapAPony
29/05/2011, 8:07 PM
No less than 16 players mentioned there. And you could add St. Ledger to it.
David Meyler.....Folan & Green too:rolleyes:

BonnieShels
29/05/2011, 8:43 PM
Have to say I thought Shay was a bit all over the place on a couple of occasions really didn't think his positioning on a couple of miller chances were great. And miller's chance that went just wide I felt was made a little easier by shay going to ground too early.

Fixer82
29/05/2011, 8:52 PM
Stephen Reid, Stephen Ireland, Stokes, McCarthy, Wilson, Andy Reid and of course David Connolly

tommy_c12000
29/05/2011, 9:10 PM
Great boost for the team to get this win under their belt before Macedonia. Absolutely awful game of football though.

- Good to see Given having another solid game. Augurs well for sat nite.
- I don't fancy Ward at left full. Seen him a number of times playing for Wolves in this position and he is a liability. I would prefer Killer in this position sat nite
- McShane's Messi-like run in setting up the goal may have been the worst thing that could have happened us. He could now well get the nod ahead of Foley at RB which will be a crying shame.
- A key question is how fit is Sledge because we really need an O'Shea/Sledge partnership sat nite. McShane was caught hopelessly out of position at centre back a couple of times. O'Dea was also caught out of position and was very rash at times as was Kelly. Our back 4 was definitely the weakest area 2nite. Let's hope it's a brand new back four sat nite.
- Centre of midfield was very poor 2nite. Andrews lack of games all year is clearly evident and Fahey didn't impose himself on the game enough. Whelan will be back in the engine room sat nite. I expect Whelan to be a lot sharper on sat nite than in the previous matches given the solid run of games he got towards the end of the season. He will probably be partnered by Andrews but Gibbo could well get the nod (after his MOTM performance against Schalke how could u leave him out??!!)
- Good to see Hunty buzzing around again. Looks sharp which is remarkable considering the injury-ravaged season he has had. Perhaps scoring the goal that kept Wolves in the Premiership was exactly what he needed. Should start left wing sat nite.
- The odd set-piece aside Lawrence didn't contribute much to the game. McGeady will start RW sat nite.
- Coleman didn't really impress when he came on. One good move aside, didn't do much and was lucky (yet again) when he didn't concede a penalty when he got caught on the wrong side of Forrest. As I constantly keep saying he simply isn't good enough to make it as a top right winger, but he has the potential to be a top notch right back.
- Great to see Robbie go into the Macedonia game having scored 3 goals in 2 games. Cox looks like a viable option. I have been impressed with him when I've seen him with WB so it was nice seeing him translate his ability onto the international scene. What pleased me most was his attitude and willingness to close down the opposition, almost Doyle-like. Robbie to be partnered with Long sat nite. Also best of luck to Shane 2moro. Im sure he'll do us all proud. (and to Noel and to Ian whoever he is. . . . )
- Treacy didn't do much when he came on. For the past couple of yrs I was never a fan of Treacy. He looked to be carrying weight when he was with Blackburn and came across as a one trick pony, a young Kilbane lets say. However, this season he has really impressed me with PNE, and seems to be looking a lot trimmer than he was with Blackburn. Could yet prove to be a useful option, especially with that deadly left boot of his.

ArdeeBhoy
29/05/2011, 9:22 PM
Stephen Reid, Stephen Ireland, Stokes, McCarthy, Wilson, Andy Reid and of course David Connolly
My understanding is Steven Reid retired from international football, given the no.of injuries in his career. But that he was willing to be called up, if Ireland were ever 'desperate'.

Which is fair enough. But probably unlikely now.

The rest could all return, with the obvious exception of Connolly who must be in the twilight of his club career.

Yard of Pace
29/05/2011, 9:44 PM
My understanding is Steven Reid retired from international football, given the no.of injuries in his career. But that he was willing to be called up, if Ireland were ever 'desperate'.

Which is fair enough. But probably unlikely now.

The rest could all return, with the obvious exception of Connolly who must be in the twilight of his club career.

Connolly scored some important goals at the tail-end of the season for Southampton to help get them promoted. Perhaps an Indian summer....

ArdeeBhoy
29/05/2011, 10:04 PM
Maybe a charity game.

We have enough strikers.....

Kingdom
30/05/2011, 12:25 AM
Great boost for the team to get this win under their belt before Macedonia. Absolutely awful game of football though. Agree

-
Good to see Given having another solid game. Augurs well for sat nite. Agree - he even came for a cross!

- I don't fancy Ward at left full. Seen him a number of times playing for Wolves in this position and he is a liability. I would prefer Killer in this position sat nite Disagree. We won't lose the game on Sat with Ward being selected. If Killer plays so be it, he did well in March.

- McShane's Messi-like run in setting up the goal may have been the worst thing that could have happened us. He could now well get the nod ahead of Foley at RB which will be a crying shame.
Totally agree. It's baffling. He could well be a deciding factor on Sat. And there I was in February thinking we'd seen the end of him.

- A key question is how fit is Sledge because we really need an O'Shea/Sledge partnership sat nite. McShane was caught hopelessly out of position at centre back a couple of times. O'Dea was also caught out of position and was very rash at times as was Kelly. Our back 4 was definitely the weakest area 2nite. Let's hope it's a brand new back four sat nite.

He can't be anywhere near fitness. And it will be saying a lot if he starts when we had Kelly O'Dea and Delaney play there in the past 2 games. I'd be hopeful of an O'Dea/O'Shea partnership, purely given that O'Dea has form when it comes to the big occasion. He was excellent on Pandev the first game. I'd advise people who would choose Delaney to have a look at the North game again. Watch his positioning and how he touches the centre forward. Pandev would exploit that and it would be costly.

- Centre of midfield was very poor 2nite. Andrews lack of games all year is clearly evident and Fahey didn't impose himself on the game enough. Whelan will be back in the engine room sat nite. I expect Whelan to be a lot sharper on sat nite than in the previous matches given the solid run of games he got towards the end of the season. He will probably be partnered by Andrews but Gibbo could well get the nod (after his MOTM performance against Schalke how could u leave him out??!!)

Can't disagree with that, however they weren't helped by absolutely insipid performance by the wingers and the back 4 as a collective. Only Ward and Cox offered themselves as an outball, and Scotland twigged Ward relatively quickly and were on top of him a lot. I do like Fahey, you can see he is constantly thinking, always looking for the next pass. I agree too, that it will probably be Glenn and Keith Andrews on Sat. Solid but unremarkable.

- Good to see Hunty buzzing around again. Looks sharp which is remarkable considering the injury-ravaged season he has had. Perhaps scoring the goal that kept Wolves in the Premiership was exactly what he needed. Should start left wing sat nite.

Personally I thought he was poor. I like him as the chaos enducing creature he is when he is introduced with 20 mins left in a game.

The odd set-piece aside Lawrence didn't contribute much to the game. McGeady will start RW sat nite.
Was this ever in doubt? I don't see how it could be? McGeady is on for our player of the campaign and has been head and shoulders above everyone else at their domestic clubs. He's an automatic choice at this stage alongside Keane, Dunne, O'Shea, Given and Duff.

- Coleman didn't really impress when he came on. One good move aside, didn't do much and was lucky (yet again) when he didn't concede a penalty when he got caught on the wrong side of Forrest. As I constantly keep saying he simply isn't good enough to make it as a top right winger, but he has the potential to be a top notch right back.

He was no worse than those around him, but he was better than Lawrence, and I thought he showed more awareness of his defensive duties when he came on than he has done before. Doubled up acceptably with Foley.

- Treacy didn't do much when he came on. For the past couple of yrs I was never a fan of Treacy. He looked to be carrying weight when he was with Blackburn and came across as a one trick pony, a young Kilbane lets say. However, this season he has really impressed me with PNE, and seems to be looking a lot trimmer than he was with Blackburn. Could yet prove to be a useful option, especially with that deadly left boot of his.

What he did do, that his predecessors didn't do, was offer himself as an outlet. I like him. He's got a rasper of a left foot, he's tall, and he's an aggressive runner with the ball. I'd like to see him start on Sat, have to be honest.

Charlie Darwin
30/05/2011, 12:34 AM
Foley had a horrorshow when he came in at right back. There's no way anyone could objectively look at tonight's game and say McShane wasn't by far the better performer in that position.

ArdeeBhoy
30/05/2011, 1:03 AM
Crowd of 17694.

back of the net
30/05/2011, 1:54 AM
Friends and fellow Ireland fans......all I have to say is..

Republic Of Ireland...Champions...

It was just so nice seeing us lift a trophy no matter what the competition was

tricky_colour
30/05/2011, 2:32 AM
Don't know what game you were watching but Scotland did not deserve to lose.

They were the only team that played any football in second half at times we looked like a disorganized rabble.

I think Trap is using these games is to mould us into a proper rabble.

It's only a matter of time before it all jells.

tricky_colour
30/05/2011, 2:37 AM
Friends and fellow Ireland fans......all I have to say is..

Republic Of Ireland...Champions...

It was just so nice seeing us lift a trophy no matter what the competition was

Well lets just hope nobody got injured doing it.

Noelys Guitar
30/05/2011, 2:42 AM
Stephen Hunt's comments post match. Anyone that’s 100% Irish would die to be here. If there’s anyone not committed to the cause, they should stay at home because there’s no point in being here. It was a good team performance tonight and the togetherness is massive."

Read more: http://www.examiner.ie/sport/soccer/hunt-gives-warning-to-players-on-missing-list-156260.html#ixzz1Nndo3woe

back of the net
30/05/2011, 3:46 AM
Noely ....thank you for the link

Reading the article and huntys attitude just made me burst with pride,

We are all on this forum and we may have different opinions and tactics on our best eleven, tactics, management etc etc.......but we all support the same team

Pride and passion and commitment,,,,,i expect it from the fans and the players alike

Hunty you legend

BonnieShels
30/05/2011, 8:47 AM
Crowd of 17694.

And there would have been 3 more but for the insane ticketing arrangements.
We headed up to the the ticket booth at the bottom of Lansdowne Road to be told that the upper tier tickets were sold out. They clearly weren't.
That the lessons of the previous games hadn't been learned is staggering. To have 33000 empty seats at the stadium rather than reduce the prices is scandalous. I've never walked away from a stadium before and the amount that were around us that did was astounding for an Ireland game.

Outside of that the tournament was a welcome use if friendly dates. It was good for us to win something in the fashion we did. Great to see Robbie back.Despite what I thought were a couple of dodgy moments it was good for Shay to have game time. Also, Cox as an option is great and I thought I'd never say it but I'm delighted that Hunty's back!

Come on Ireland!!!!

Stuttgart88
30/05/2011, 8:58 AM
Good stuff there Tommy C and Kingdom. Much better than reading the paper.

Thanks for the link Noely. I thought Hunt's "credit to us for being here" was funny.

Charlie D - I agree re-Foley. McShane is a calamity waiting to happen but Foley just hasn't taken to the Ireland full back slot at all. Maybe he just needs one good game but so far he has looked just as ropey.

elroy
30/05/2011, 9:26 AM
On the sports news this morning, said there was 26 k there. Certainly looked more like 26k than 16k. Think something needs to be doing at these 'friendlise to make a decent crowd look less sparse. Closing one if not two of the upper tiers has to be an option. The upper west was pretty full last night, east reasonably full but the lower east which gets most of the tv coverage looked very sparse.

When McShane made that run for the goal, the celebration was slightly muted because I knew it probably copper fastened his position at RB for next week. In fairness to him, he did well last night. Foley was poor when he came so was Coleman, was disappointed with those two as they were my first choices to come on as subs but didnt make an impact.

Fahey was poor in midfield imo. Pulled out of a couple of tackles that he shouldve won.
Andrews did ok as did Lawrence. Keane and Cox combined well again, Cox certainly is an option but is def behind Long and Doyle.
Treacy didnt really get enough time to make an impression.
Thought Hunt was only ok, alot of running and energy but not enough creativity and end product.
I thought Ward played well, caught once or twice late on, but by and large no nonsense defending and gave some good options up the wing.
O'Dea was ok but needs someone more experienced than Kelly alongside. A couple of straight balls splitting the centre backs caused them trouble last night. Scotland really shouldve scored.

I felt it was a decent game. We all know how we play at this stage but sometimes its so frustration to see us retreat into our half and allow the other team so much possession. Admittedly Scotland didnt create an awful lot but you would like to see us get on the ball alot more and try and work it up the line more rather than the long hoof so often. Still though the results continue to come.......

ArdeeBhoy
30/05/2011, 10:26 AM
And there would have been 3 more but for the insane ticketing arrangements.
We headed up to the the ticket booth at the bottom of Lansdowne Road to be told that the upper tier tickets were sold out. They clearly weren't.
That the lessons of the previous games hadn't been learned is staggering. To have 33000 empty seats at the stadium rather than reduce the prices is scandalous. I've never walked away from a stadium before and the amount that were around us that did was astounding for an Ireland game.

The irony is knew of at least 10 spares for this game, but am guessing these ran into the hundreds, if not thousands?
And even when you try to sell tickets cheap, or even give them away, people are generally morons about this.

DeLorean
30/05/2011, 10:46 AM
St Ledger is on the subs bench.
Whats the story Doc?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_nejDpGEayIQ/RiUGLRANu8I/AAAAAAAAAUw/_l9SdHqC_rs/s320/whats+up+doc.jpg