PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Northern Ireland - Tuesday, 24th May 2011 - Carling Nations Cup

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Willum101
23/05/2011, 10:28 AM
I didn't see an existing dedicated thread so I hope it's not rude of me to start one up :cool:

Anyway as for the result...

I'd expect whatever 22 players are on the pitch from both sides will desperately want to win this. Therefore I'm expecting a very full on game. I wonder if Trap will send out some key Macedonia players, I'd be worried of the risk of injuries (on both sides).

Optimistic me says 2 - 0

Realistic me knows it will be 1 - 0 or 1 - 1

ifk101
23/05/2011, 10:41 AM
both sides will desperately want to win this

:bigsmile:

Sullivinho
23/05/2011, 10:44 AM
I'll take a 1-0 win, no injuries and a diet Coke please.

awec
23/05/2011, 10:44 AM
I didn't see an existing dedicated thread so I hope it's not rude of me to start one up :cool:

Anyway as for the result...

I'd expect whatever 22 players are on the pitch from both sides will desperately want to win this. Therefore I'm expecting a very full on game. I wonder if Trap will send out some key Macedonia players, I'd be worried of the risk of injuries (on both sides).

Optimistic me says 2 - 0

Realistic me knows it will be 1 - 0 or 1 - 1

We have an extremely weak squad, we won't even score.

The ROI will win this comfortably, you heard it here first. :)

SwanVsDalton
23/05/2011, 10:49 AM
Tomorrow has the potential to be the most diabolical game in the history of diaboli-ball.

Terrible first half, couple of second half goals ala Wales - 2-0.

Not Brazil
23/05/2011, 10:53 AM
This has the makings of a mis-match.

The South to win by at least three.

Northern Ireland will be lucky to win a corner.

Willum101
23/05/2011, 10:56 AM
lads the North may have a weak side but lets not kid ourselves that this will be a walkover! Since when do Ireland perform in 'walkovers'. I'd love a 3nil and no injuries but Wales was a different game altogether. Despite the inexperience of N.I , I'd fully expect them to give this a good go and not be afraid to get stuck in

ifk101
23/05/2011, 11:01 AM
I'm sure they'll get stuck in but on paper Ireland has the better pick of players. The result is pretty much immaterial to me as the focus is on Macedonia but I would be disappointed if we don't win the game given the quality of opposition we are facing.

zero
23/05/2011, 1:50 PM
should be an unusual lineup tomorrow, with withdrawls and unavailability.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/0523/1224297547112.html

tetsujin1979
23/05/2011, 2:03 PM
According to RTE, there's a press conference this afternoon but the team won't be announced until tomorrow: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/0523/ireland.html

Barry somebody-or-other is giving a talk on a green so that might overshadow any pronouncements from Il Trap

<EDIT>

Scratch that, Ken Early just revealed the starting lineup on twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/kenearlys/statuses/72648757321273344

ireland XI v NI: given, mcshane, kelly, delaney, wilson, coleman or lawrence, andrews, fahey or foley, treacy, keane, cox
Surely that should be Kelly at right full and McShane at centre half?
Nice to see Wilson getting a start at left full.

tommy_c12000
23/05/2011, 2:09 PM
Just finished exams today so making the trip to Dublin 2moro for the game. First game I've been to since the Russian game at home. I have to say I'm really looking forward to it, but that could be more because of the inevitable feast of pints and camaradarie with old friends rather than the quality of football on offer. Hard to know what kind of side Ireland will have put out. But one thing is for sure, they will be far too strong for Northern Ireland. ROI to win 3-0

ifk101
23/05/2011, 2:12 PM
I think Trapattoni sees Kelly more as a CB these days. I know I'd prefer to have Kelly in the center ahead of McShane.

Weak enough line-up tbh. Be interested to see if Wilson is at CB.

Fahey or Foley seems odd - can't be right surely?

Charlie Darwin
23/05/2011, 2:14 PM
Fahey and Lawrence both have injury niggles. Dunne is out.

Not Brazil
23/05/2011, 4:02 PM
I believe this will be the Northern Ireland starting XI tomorrow night.

Northern Ireland team: Blayney, Thompson, Hodson, Cathcart, McAuley, Clingan, Davis, Carson, Gorman, Feeney, McQuoid

punkrocket
23/05/2011, 4:42 PM
I'm quite looking forward to seeing the new line up, hope the weather improves.

geysir
23/05/2011, 4:59 PM
Thats the strangest starting line up I've seen since Stan in the US.
Isn't Delaney a LB? if so that would mean Wilson at CH.
I hope Fahey makes it to start at CM.

tetsujin1979
23/05/2011, 5:14 PM
Wilson's been playing at left full for Stoke in recent weeks.

Charlie Darwin
23/05/2011, 5:17 PM
So if Foley and Coleman start we'll have 6 full backs on the pitch.

geysir
23/05/2011, 5:23 PM
Wilson's been playing at left full for Stoke in recent weeks.
We know Wilson is versatile, but what about Delaney?
I thought he was mainly used as a LB.

Charlie Darwin
23/05/2011, 5:29 PM
He's been playing centre half for Ipswich with O'Dea on the left. It makes sense to play them both in the positions they've been playing at club level. Wilson would be a more athletic option anyway.

geysir
23/05/2011, 5:36 PM
RTE report that McCarthy didn't turn up, but somehow escaped a tongue lashing from Trap who was focussed on Stokes.

Charlie Darwin
23/05/2011, 5:38 PM
McCarthy is apparently in Wigan having scans.

Irwin3
23/05/2011, 5:47 PM
Foley has played a fair bit in cm.

republicofwhite
23/05/2011, 5:50 PM
What the hell has happened with Stokes? Tiredness? Can anybody elaborate? This is bizarre, what an idiot. Perfect chance to lay down a marker in front of weak opposition and get a few goals. What an absolute joker, must be completely away with the fairies. I'd be very surprised to ever see him wear green again. Pity, ability is there.

dr_peepee
23/05/2011, 6:05 PM
Well paid Chavs, man.... The worst kind!!

ArdeeBhoy
23/05/2011, 6:18 PM
Think we'll win, someone'll get injured, only draw in Macedonia and end up in the play-offs, again....

dr_peepee
23/05/2011, 6:38 PM
Football365 said someone wasn't answering calls?? McCarthy??......

backstothewall
23/05/2011, 6:57 PM
Terribly disappointed with that lineup. It's not credible that we suffered that many genuine injuries

I don't get Stokes at all. Given his 'background' you would have thought he would have been chomping at the bit to get stuck into the North. Shouldn't be picked again until the attitude improves.

Irish times is reporting that the Stoke players were late arriving. Any reason for that?

Stuttgart88
23/05/2011, 8:51 PM
Volcanic ash? :)

elroy
23/05/2011, 8:55 PM
First of all I think the game has been scheduled way too close to the end of season games. This shouldve been played on Thursday.

Second, that defence is scary. If we were playing someone other than the North id be seriously worried. Nonetheless I think they'll give us a serious game, wont be easy. What attendance we thinknig? Hopefully get over 30k anyways.

Stuttgart88
23/05/2011, 9:00 PM
I always try and see the positives in things, though it's hard!

Given needs two games before June. So does Keane.
Coleman will get a run.
I actually like Delaney, either at CB or at LB.
Wilson will presumably get a run.
If we need to play Kelly and / or McShane in June then thank God they'll get time first. In fairness, both did OK against Brazil (Kellt at RB, McShane at CB).

The players who played on Sunday all need a rest. Friday will be more interesting.

DannyInvincible
23/05/2011, 10:17 PM
Football365 said someone wasn't answering calls?? McCarthy??......

McCarthy picked up a knock yesterday and was undergoing scans in Wigan, I believe.

dr_peepee
23/05/2011, 10:31 PM
There's probably a fax from Wigan sitting on the floor beneath the printer in the FAI explaining it all..

Too much drama around McCarthy for my liking. Too often to be coincidence. Might start filing him alongside Ireland and Stokes in my thoughts..

DannyInvincible
23/05/2011, 10:36 PM
Too much drama around McCarthy for my liking.

What drama are you referring to? Much of it is media-manufactured.

SwanVsDalton
23/05/2011, 10:39 PM
What drama? Whatever's going on with McCarthy is so low key not even Trap could bumble into a diplomatic nightmare over it today...

tommy_c12000
23/05/2011, 10:43 PM
McCarthy picked up a knock yesterday and was undergoing scans in Wigan, I believe.

Can someone please pass on this message to the Irish management team ASAP. Their phone line appears to be broken again. The Eircom partnership clearly isn't working and needs to be examined. . . .

The constant breakdowns in communication is an absolute joke and the epitomy of amateurism. Furthermore, the manner in which the current managing staff deal with these problems in such a public and abrasive fashion at press conferences is unacceptable and frankly rather childish. They need to learn to develop some tact and deal with these affairs discreetly and with some class. Trap did his best to drive McCarthy away from us, and has already burnt his bridges with a couple of other players also with his inept man managment skills

tommy_c12000
23/05/2011, 10:47 PM
http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2011/0523/1224297603745.html

SwanVsDalton
23/05/2011, 11:05 PM
Can someone please pass on this message to the Irish management team ASAP. Their phone line appears to be broken again. The Eircom partnership clearly isn't working and needs to be examined. . . .

The constant breakdowns in communication is an absolute joke and the epitomy of amateurism. Furthermore, the manner in which the current managing staff deal with these problems in such a public and abrasive fashion at press conferences is unacceptable and frankly rather childish. They need to learn to develop some tact and deal with these affairs discreetly and with some class. Trap did his best to drive McCarthy away from us, and has already burnt his bridges with a couple of other players also with his inept man managment skills

What can management do if the player doesn't answer his phone? Come on - let's not start this again. Trap called him into squads, capped him in a friendly, capped him competitively. Also let's not forget that 90% of the hysteria last time was caused by the meedja...

It sounds like McCarthy's picked up a knock and stayed at Wigan for assessment - not a big deal, but management are very clear on how they want it and the least he could do is tell them he'd be a no show. Stokes has, rightly, shipped a lot of stick for what he's done. If the story is close to the one reported, then McCarthysshould ship some too. Management has every right to be annoyed if a player is a no-show for a squad and can't be raised...sounds like McCarthy might need a PA to keep him on top of correspondence.

What drama? Whatever's going on with McCarthy is so low key not even Trap could bumble into a diplomatic nightmare over it today...

:bigsmile:

DannyInvincible
23/05/2011, 11:07 PM
As part of the "special buzz", Paul Gilmore of BBC Sport NI has written a piece on where the players who played in the 1999 fixture are now: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13512608.stm

Given and Keane are the only two survivors from our side. Duff played then too, but obviously he's out this time with injury.

Sullivinho
23/05/2011, 11:08 PM
http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2011/0523/1224297603745.html

"If they are in hospital or they are dead, that is okay"

Trap's criteria for acceptable call-offs. Giving the deceased too much leeway there if you ask me.

DannyInvincible
23/05/2011, 11:11 PM
How can Enda Brady of Sky Sports know what's going on with McCarthy but not Giovanni Trapattoni?

SwanVsDalton
23/05/2011, 11:13 PM
I noticed that myself - guess it applies equally to players who are now 'dead' to Trap (the Reid's, Stokes probably...).

geysir
23/05/2011, 11:27 PM
Well it is just the North we are playing, I'd probably find it hard to muster up enthusiasm to work the remote tomorrow.

Irwin3
24/05/2011, 12:13 AM
As part of the "special buzz", Paul Gilmore of BBC Sport NI has written a piece on where the players who played in the 1999 fixture are now: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13512608.stm

Given and Keane are the only two survivors from our side. Duff played then too, but obviously he's out this time with injury.

From the 'article':

TONY CASCARINO
Born in Kent, he qualified for Ireland through a distant relative. The FAI were forced to deny claims from Cascarino in 2000 that the relative was not from Ireland and he therefore did not qualify for the nation he went on to play 88 times for. Is now working as a media pundit.

Where do they get them from...

DannyInvincible
24/05/2011, 12:26 AM
Sure enough. Paul Gilmore must have heard that through a game of Chinese Whispers. :rolleyes:

Cascarino described himself as a "fraud" and a "fake Irishman" in his autobiography. I suspect he was either playing dumb or using what you might call artistic licence to cause a bit of controversy and boost sales. The reality was that his English-born mother, who had no Irish heritage by birth, was adopted by an Irishman; this man being Cascarino's grandfather. It meant Cascarino had no "Irish blood", or whatever you'd call it, as his grandfather was not a blood relative, but he was still perfectly eligible to play for us as his mother's adoption entitled her to Irish nationality.

tricky_colour
24/05/2011, 1:39 AM
Surprised there was no Obama in the line up.:p

geysir
24/05/2011, 1:40 AM
I see NI legend and OWC fan's favourite, Neil Lennon, played for the North in 1999.

Gilmore does lose the run of himself when he claims "However, there is always a special buzz when these rivals go head to head"
This game has even less buzz than those tame rugby international trial games from olden days, The Probables V The Possibles.

ifk101
24/05/2011, 7:30 AM
I was pretty confident of us winning the game prior to the naming of the teams but now less so. Granted NI will have a lot of kids on display but the spine of their team has plenty of experience at international level. We're starting with a new central defensive partnership and the spine of our team is lacking match fitness; Given, Kelly, Andrews and Keane. I'm hoping Fahey makes the starting line-up, not too sure who I favour between Coleman and Lawrence. I'd imagine Coleman would get a lot of joy down the NI wings but with McShane at RB perhaps Lawrence is needed in the team to protect him.

shakermaker1982
24/05/2011, 7:41 AM
I'm with the Trap on this one. Ok the tournament timing is completely insane but the players will be off for 5 weeks after the Macedonia game. Hop on a plain, train for two hours, listen to the Trap waffle on about character and then get a run out against the North for 30 minutes. It's hardly working down the pit is it?

McCarthy not answering his phone? Lads that age will be glued to his iphone. That surely has to be BS.

Stuttgart88
24/05/2011, 7:44 AM
I didn't realise Leon Best played for Newcastle on Sunday. Trap's quotes in the IT about football not being a real job, but fun, ring true with me. Not responding to Trap's texts (Folan, Best were named as past offenders) is both arrogant and ignorant. Unless Trap was texting in Italian. Footballers need to cop themselves on.