PDA

View Full Version : Wicky puts boot into “long-ball” Irish

Bowsy
17/06/2004, 2:52 PM
Don't know why but this comment has really wound me up. Shabby as our performances were against the Swiss we haven't been hoofers in a long time. Really want to beat them now. One positive is that it shows signs the Swiss are severely under estimating us.

From elven-a-side.com

June 17, 2004

Switzerland midfielder Raphael Wicky has dismissed Brian Kerr’s Republic of Ireland side as a bunch of long-ball merchants – offering an unnecessary further incentive to the Irish players intent on exacting revenge on the Swiss in the World Cup qualifier in the autumn.

Ireland meet Switzerland in their second Group 4 outing in Basel in September, just 11 months on from the embarrassing defeat in the Swiss city last October which ended Irish hopes of taking part in the big jamboree in Portugal this month.

The Swiss take on England in Coimbra later today (Thursday), but Wicky dismissed the suggestion that playing two games against Ireland in qualifying had prepared his side for England’s style of play.

He said: “It’s not really an advantage ... because England have some very good players and know how to knock the ball around. They don’t play a lot of long balls, like Ireland do. They are not the same type of teams, England like to play with the ball.”

concanta
17/06/2004, 3:24 PM
Tatally agree with you

I am nearly looking forward to that game as much as the French game - as long as we dont have major injuries - we will win in Basle ....I know Switzerland arent bad at home .....but end of story if both keanes, reid, duff and millar are around then we win

Edgey
17/06/2004, 3:25 PM
He said: “It’s not really an advantage ... because England have some very good players and know how to knock the ball around. They don’t play a lot of long balls, like Ireland do. They are not the same type of teams, England like to play with the ball.”

He must have missed the France match the other night if he felt England like to play with the ball

concanta
17/06/2004, 3:27 PM
I think it is an advantage to us the way we played in last games with Switzerland - they will underestimate us - which is good and we can then expose them for the absolute cr*p they are

Bowsy
17/06/2004, 3:31 PM
Worst looking team in the tournament so far for me. Were second best in the 'It's a knockout' school of football that was their game against Croatia and that took some doing. I hope they continue to regard us as completely useless right up until we stuff them in Basle.

Slash/ED
17/06/2004, 6:09 PM
If we don't beat these home and away next time aroudn we can pack it in and not bother with a national side anymore. Average is kind description of them.

Woody
17/06/2004, 6:47 PM
Have to agree with you there Slash/Ed. After watching them against England (who'll think there unbeatable after that game). What a pile of ****e.

eirebhoy
17/06/2004, 8:57 PM
Have to agree with you there Slash/Ed. After watching them against England (who'll think there unbeatable after that game). What a pile of ****e.
What? Switzerland were the better team up until Haas got sent off...

Beavis
17/06/2004, 9:00 PM

Kobi Khun also said 'Maybe Ireland play like England did years ago-but not now.When you see the players England have,there is no comparison between the teams'

BRING IT ON.... :mad:

1MickCollins
17/06/2004, 10:58 PM
And what exactly is wrong with the long ball approach anyhow? The object is to win, it doesn't matter how. I think against continental teams the long ball is a good approach as they don't defend against it very often. Some our of most crucial goals have come from route 1.

I think the long ball used properly is a good tactic, right now we probably don't have the players for it and when Quinn was around we went route 1 too often. We need to find the right balance. As far as I am concerned Raphael Wicky can weave all sorts of fancy patterns in his own half of the field if that is what he gets off on. Rapael Wicky s*cks anyhow.

concanta
18/06/2004, 9:44 AM
As was mentioned on television yesterday - did you all notice the acres o space on the swiss right hand side - andy reid or damian duff could run wil there

tiktok
18/06/2004, 9:53 AM
I didn't think there was that much space there until Haas was sent off to be honest. Thought the Swiss were very poor though, nothing to fear from them.

Paulie
18/06/2004, 10:27 AM
There is a perception among many football fans and players outside of Ireland that we are still a long ball team. Ruud Van Nistelrooy said after our game with Holland that we weren't just playing the ball long and seemed surprised that we played the ball on the ground. Give a dog a bad name.....

Bowsy
18/06/2004, 10:36 AM
There is a perception among many football fans and players outside of Ireland that we are still a long ball team. Ruud Van Nistelrooy said after our game with Holland that we weren't just playing the ball long and seemed surprised that we played the ball on the ground. Give a dog a bad name.....

But Swiss have played against us twice. We were very poor but didn't hoof it. It's the shear arrogance of the Swiss that gets me. Last night showed how mediocre they are especially defensively(Rooneys 2 goals are a case in point). Hakan Yakin also has looked dreadful. This is becoming a grudge game for me.

Paulie
18/06/2004, 10:47 AM
But Swiss have played against us twice. We were very poor but didn't hoof it. It's the shear arrogance of the Swiss that gets me. Last night showed how mediocre they are especially defensively(Rooneys 2 goals are a case in point). Hakan Yakin also has looked dreadful. This is becoming a grudge game for me.

Agreed. I can understand them thinking we're rubbish, but a long ball team? Presuming we don't have a load of injuries we will take at least 4 points off this lot and if we play at all well in the games against them it will be 6 regardless of how the Swiss play. Can't wait....I hope it's easier to get a bloody ticket this time.

Bowsy
18/06/2004, 10:55 AM
Another positive for the qualifiers is the French. As patriotic as I am I will admit that if the French come out all guns blazing in Paris they will beat us comfortably but this tournament shows they have off days. Zidane(amazing) aside they have been average. Henry and Trezeguet have terrified no one. IMO Croatia deserved to win last night. If the French play like that we will beat them. Not going to bank on it though to be honest.

Condex
18/06/2004, 11:51 AM
I thought Wicky himself was cr*p.

The Swiss team had some good approach play but had no penetration.
I can't remember them having a shot on target all night.

Ireland should go to Basel looking for a win and at need at least 5 different players from the lot who played there last year.

carnstien
18/06/2004, 5:09 PM
What an *******. With the world class players we have in our squad (Keane, Keane, Duff, Carr, Finnan, O'Shea, Given, Miller and Ried) we will play those arrogant *******s off the pitch. The Mick McCarthy days are long gone and we'll show the Swiss a thing or two about the beautiful game.

Woody
18/06/2004, 6:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody

What? Switzerland were the better team up until Haas got sent off...

The Swiss might have been better than the english untill Hass got sent off...but that does not mean that they weren't a pile of ****e. As for the Tans........

Littlest Hobo
19/06/2004, 11:18 PM
We'll sort those mountain boyz out in basle :) MOOOOOOOO!!! They'll have to fight hard this time for their Cows :D
To be honest, they have been ****e since they last put one over on us.
2-0 no probs ;)

Condex
20/06/2004, 1:49 AM
What an *******. With the world class players we have in our squad (Keane, Keane, Duff, Carr, Finnan, O'Shea, Given, Miller and Ried) we will play those arrogant *******s off the pitch. The Mick McCarthy days are long gone and we'll show the Swiss a thing or two about the beautiful game.

I would not be so confident, we do not have many World Class players. Just maybe Duff and Roy Keane(thought hes on the wayout).

We will be heading to Basel with most of the players who failed the last time.
Hopefully this time we won't freeze.

eirebhoy
20/06/2004, 3:39 PM
We will be heading to Basel with most of the players who failed the last time.
The starting lineup against the Swizz was:

Given, Carr, Breen, O'Shea, Harte, Duff, Holland, Healy, Kilbane, Keane, Connolly.

Breen, Harte, Holland/Kilbane (one or the other), Healy and Connolly, injuries aside, will not play against the Swizz and O'Shea will not be playing at centre half were he was atrocious. Duff will also be playing on the left this time. The team is completely changed.

BTW, whoever said friendlies were meaningless, this just proves how wrong you are. The Swizz game was our last competitive game, we have played 8 friendlies since and we now have a virtually different team. Every player in the above starting lineup are still available which shows we have improved immensely since then. I don't think that would have been the case if Mick was still around IMHO.

gmani
20/06/2004, 11:39 PM
I think it is an advantage to us the way we played in last games with Switzerland - they will underestimate us - which is good and we can then expose them for the absolute cr*p they are

i think we always play better as underdogs i mean... nethrelands...brazil...

welll show em'