PDA

View Full Version : Dolan -Excuses BEFORE the match???

Shelsman
16/06/2004, 4:54 PM
Lads,
Just spotted a story on eleven-a-side.com and Dolan is going on about how City should learn from Malmo. Isn't that what Shels said after Rosenborg hammered them a few years ago? Sounds like he is expecting City to lose ( although I hope not ).
Anyway, Dolan has got some good results in Europe down through the years so fingers crossed that City will win!!!

pete
16/06/2004, 5:05 PM
Anyway, Dolan has got some good results in Europe down through the years so fingers crossed that City will win!!!

Do i sense some sarcasm there? Was he around for 10-0 "result"?

Colm
16/06/2004, 6:10 PM
Liam Buckley was manager for the 10-0.

Reading Dolan's programme notes the other night I got the impression he thinks we're capable of getting a result against Malmo. He said "I've taken a team to Parkhead and got a result in front of 64,000 people. I've also beaten top Belgian and Croatian teams in my time as a manager." He's definately not expecting City to lose.
The point he was also making in his notes was about learning from Malmo i.e. they regularly get crowds of 20,000 and there are a lot of Swedish league players (none from Malmo) in the Sweden squad. He believes that Cork City and the el are capable of the same, I agree.

Counting Crow
16/06/2004, 9:56 PM
In all fairness people........can anyone really imagine Pat Dolan being anything but confident that City will progress.

For 2 years he has been promoting the Club both near and far.

Why suddenly capitulate now just days before our biggest game in 3 years?

The man RIGHTLY believes that the Rebel Capital is the center of the Universe.

southside bohs
17/06/2004, 1:09 AM
i was watching when pats drew with celtic and was at the ghent and spilt(forget that croats team name) game and i can tell you that pat dolans european sides dont get beat easily. i do think city will progress(touch wood) but on away goals.

Good luck

ccfcman
17/06/2004, 9:54 AM
comradery w/ fello eLers just great isnt it :ball:

Dodge
17/06/2004, 10:42 AM
Do i sense some sarcasm there? Was he around for 10-0 "result"?
depends who you believe :) Apparently Dolan won the league but Buckley was at fault for europe...

Myself I credit Buckley with both

Gary
17/06/2004, 6:26 PM
Why suddenly capitulate now just days before our biggest game in 3 years?

Biggest game in 3 years? Are you for real???

While I am glad City are playing in Europe for the first time in years, the 1st round of the Inter Toto is not a big game.

I would consider the Bohs game on Tuesday as being far more important. The Cup semi Final the season before last as more important.

I reckon that this Inter Toto adventure is little more than a couple of friendlies. That said, The away trip will be a very fun friendly i would hazard!

patsh
17/06/2004, 7:00 PM
1. Gary, you have some extremely strange thought processes.... ;)
2. The Bohs game IS FAR MORE IMPORTANT, I think.

SÓC
17/06/2004, 7:59 PM
depends who you believe :) Apparently Dolan won the league but Buckley was at fault for europe...

Myself I credit Buckley with both
And Eamon Collins signed all the players;)

A face
17/06/2004, 11:49 PM
I think we will get whooped on Sat TBH.

Bohs is a more important game, no two ways about it.

NorthoftheLee
18/06/2004, 7:10 AM
I think we will get whooped on Sat TBH.

Shame on you A Face, we'll have none of that talk please :mad: ;)

wws
18/06/2004, 7:50 AM
I honestly hope Cork do well in this tie - the league badly needs a high profile media boost (the flip side is a hiding will all but kill this season stone dead media wise!)

good luck cork - the one and only time I'll be saying that this season (speaking with my football head on I reckon ure on for a beating tbh)

liamon
18/06/2004, 8:20 AM
Lads our aim last season was europe..Now we got there its not important you say....Pure Sh!te!

Of course the league is important but Europe also is.... Now its the week of the game..Enjoy it and stop being such typical Cork kill joys! BORING C*NTS
Last year, our main focus is to finish in a position to qualify for Europe. Why? Because we needed to climb back into the top 3. Our real aim is to win trophies. We won't win any european cups this year, so our main focus has to be the league. Getting a few european games is a fun distraction. A nice glamour tie perhaps. A bit of travel and fun. But the most important game is the Bohs game on Tuesday.

thecorner
18/06/2004, 8:51 AM
sorry lads but have to disagree...

the most important game now is the malmo game

on saturday at 8.45,then the most important game is the bohs game and then after that the malmo away game

ur most important game is always your next game

NorthoftheLee
18/06/2004, 8:57 AM
ur most important game is always your next game

spoken like a true pundit..... :)

Gandhi
18/06/2004, 11:10 AM
That 'true pundit' remark made me laugh - not in a sarcastic way I hasten to add! It just reminded me of some of the things Gordon Strachan has said, i'm sure ye have heard them before...my own 'best of' was the 'What area did they trouble you most in Gordon?' 'That big green area out there!' :D
Back to the topic at hand - I hope we go on a bit of a run, a few more bumper crowds at the Cross to get some of the armchair brigade out, when they see some decent live football they might start to make a habit of supporting their local club on a regular basis - now there's a thought ;)

Gary
18/06/2004, 12:57 PM
Lads our aim last season was europe..Now we got there its not important you say....Pure Sh!te!

Not saying its not important. Just saying that there are more important things to worry about

Enjoy it and stop being such typical Cork kill joys! BORING C*NTS

Not trying to take anything from the game. I hope City win, and win well, and that there is a trip to Holland on the cards next week. Ill enjoy the day out on saturday regardless.

Ideally we will win both, but I would prefer to lose against Malmo Saturday, and beat Bohs on tuesday rather than vice versa. Thats all Im saying!

Colm
18/06/2004, 1:05 PM

Of course the league is important but Europe also is.... Now its the week of the game..Enjoy it and stop being such typical Cork kill joys! BORING C*NTS

I agree. We have three massively important matches in the next 8 days. Obviously the Bohs match is very important from an overall perspective but so are the Malmo matches. Our aim last season was to get into Europe and we achieved that so now we have to give it our best shot and stay in the competition as long as possible (and of course have a great day out tomorrow and a great holiday next week! :) )

sullanefc
18/06/2004, 1:08 PM
I reallly hope we do well on Saturday, not just to progress in the Intertoto Cup, but because we will have a bumper crowd and if we play good football then maybe some of the irregular Turners Cross visitors might come back for the game Tuesday night against Bohs and maybe a lot more games for the rest of the season. Hopefully it will be a good advertisement for CCFC.

And if we do progress to the next round of the intertoto cup then the interest in CCFC can only be heightened.