PDA

View Full Version : One for the trivia buffs.

DaveyCakes
12/05/2011, 5:22 PM
Alania Vladikavkaz reached the Russian cup final yesterday. They haven't scored or conceded a single goal so far in the competition.

In the last 32, they beat KAMAZ Naberezhnye Chelny 4-2 on penalties after a 0-0 draw (aet).

In the last 16, they beat Gornyak Uchaly 5-4 on penalties after a 0-0 draw (aet).

In the quarter-final, they got a walkover as Saturn Moscow Oblast had gone bust.

In the Semi-final, they beat FK Rostov-on-Don 6-5 on penalties after a 0-0 draw (aet).

Has this ever happened before?

BonnieShels
13/05/2011, 12:57 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say no. That's amazing.

Is that the same Vladikavkaz that played Man U in the UEFA Cup in 1995?

DeLorean
13/05/2011, 8:10 AM
Is that the same Vladikavkaz that played Man U in the UEFA Cup in 1995?

They played Liverpool that year. United went out in the same round to Rotor Volgograd, when Peter Schmeichel scored his goal.

I'd be surprised if that has happened before, incredible stuff. It reminded me Switzerland going out of the 2006WC without conceding a goal, but much more amazing than that really.

BonnieShels
13/05/2011, 8:23 AM
They played Liverpool that year. United went out in the same round to Rotor Volgograd, when Peter Schmeichel scored his goal.

I'd be surprised if that has happened before, incredible stuff. It reminded me Switzerland going out of the 2006WC without conceding a goal, but much more amazing than that really.

That's right. What a dreary time that was.

DeLorean
13/05/2011, 9:59 AM
That's right. What a dreary time that was.

Yeah, football has really changed in a relatively short time. They had got knocked out of the European Cup by Galatasaray the year before and the UEFA Cup to Torpedo Moscow the year before that. They are now playing their second team in Champions League semi finals and winning 4-1. Not sure it's such a good thing really but I suppose it is from a big club's point of view.

DaveyCakes
14/05/2011, 3:33 PM
Yeah, nothing to beat the excitement of the same handful of clubs dominating year after year....

Closed Account 2
14/05/2011, 5:03 PM
Yeah, football has really changed in a relatively short time. They had got knocked out of the European Cup by Galatasaray the year before and the UEFA Cup to Torpedo Moscow the year before that. They are now playing their second team in Champions League semi finals and winning 4-1. Not sure it's such a good thing really but I suppose it is from a big club's point of view.

Galatasaray are two places above the relegation zone this season. Gone through a few managers in the last year, Rijkaard, Hagi & Tugay, now it's Bulent Under. Torpedo went spiralling down the Russian leagues from 2007-9, but now they are back in the 1st league (which is one below the Russian PL).

DaveyCakes
22/05/2011, 5:04 PM
They lost the final 2-1 against CSKA

pineapple stu
22/05/2011, 5:58 PM
It's over 100 years since a club won the FA Cup without conceding a goal anyway (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/apr/30/1).

One curiosity I did come across is that Queen's Park entered the FA Cup eight times before conceding or scoring a goal. In the first comp - 1871/72 - they were drawn against Donington School, but because they couldn't agree a date, both were allowed through. In the next round, they were drawn together again, but Donington withdrew. The then got a bye, before playing a 0-0 draw against Wanderers and forfeiting the replay. In 1872/73, they got a bye straight through to the semis (effectively four byes), but forfeited. All told, in eight competitions, they received eight byes, forfeited eight times, had one no result, one walkover and one 0-0 draw.

To make up for it, in 1883/84, they scored 44 times in six games in the competition, losing in the final.

Amazing set of results for Alania though; good spot!

Dodge
22/05/2011, 6:53 PM
In Europe next season too aren't they?

Along with Birmingham and probably Blackpool too of the lower tiers.

culloty82
22/05/2011, 8:28 PM
Think Fulham still have the Fair Play slot, this is an easy one, but who are the only EPL team who've never been relegated?

OwlsFan
23/05/2011, 9:19 AM
I suspect it is Wigan Athletic as this is their first time in the top flight and they have yet to be relegated.

EAFC_rdfl
23/05/2011, 12:48 PM
everton?

DaveyCakes
23/05/2011, 1:03 PM
Think Fulham still have the Fair Play slot, this is an easy one, but who are the only EPL team who've never been relegated?

Its between Fulham and Blackpool, Fulham's red card yesterday may cost them. Decision expected on Thursday.

OwlsFan
24/05/2011, 9:39 AM
everton?

Everton were relegated back in the 1930s. Wigan have never been relegated from the top tier. Culloty82 ??

John83
24/05/2011, 10:54 AM
Arsenal.

pineapple stu
24/05/2011, 4:19 PM
That's what I thought too, but they were relegated in 1912/13 (http://www.arsenal-mad.co.uk/footydb/loadlgt.asp?ssnno=42&teamno=24).

Wigan were relegated in 1992/93 (http://www.wiganathletic-mad.co.uk/footydb/loadlghs.asp). Although if the question is only about top flight relegation, then it seems Wigan is the answer.

culloty82
24/05/2011, 7:41 PM
Yeah, it's Wigan now, purely because they've only been in the Premier League for a few seasons, same was true for Wimbledon before they were relegated in 2000.

Stuttgart88
28/05/2011, 11:48 AM
R5 Live just put a good trivia question out there:

Name 9 players who have played for two of Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal & Liverpool, and also a Spanish club.

Closed Account 2
28/05/2011, 12:26 PM
Fernando Torres = Liverpool, Chelsea and Atletico
Michael Owen = Liverpool, Man Utd and Real Madrid
Lassana Diarra = Arsenal, Chelsea and Real Madrid
Nicolas Anelka = Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and Real Madrid
Mark Hughes = Man Utd, Chelsea and Barcelona
Yossi Benayoun = Liverpool, Chelsea and I think it was Depor or Sociedad or some nothern Spanish team (before West Ham).

Closed Account 2
28/05/2011, 12:29 PM
Forgot Pennant, he was at Liverpool, Arsenal and Saragossa.
would Zenden be another ? Chelsea, Liverpool and being Dutch I think he played for Barca ?

Closed Account 2
28/05/2011, 12:32 PM
and Petit, Arsenal, Chelsea and Barca