PDA

View Full Version : under 19 qualifiers

Pages : [1] 2

liamoo11
11/05/2011, 10:18 PM
squad named for qualifiers in few weeks against poland, italy and ukraine. Bit of a joke that keane,mcginty and I assume harriott of sheffield utd cant be included cause of fa youth cup would it happen to the brits under 19s? No Duffy from everton or o Brien from derby or devine from villa who are all quality defenders are they injured?

Midfield looks very strong. Very light up front. Seems strange that McEleney is not in he has had good season for derry. Our german friend at st pauli didnt make cut.

cornflakes
11/05/2011, 10:31 PM
Republic of Ireland Under-19 squad:
Sean McDermott (Arsenal)
Aaron McCarey (Wolves)
Declan Walker (Wrexham)
Joe Shaughnessy (Aberdeen)
Derrick Williams (Aston Villa)
Anthony O'Connor (Blackburn Rovers)
John Egan (Sunderland)
Matt Doherty (Wolves)
Kane Ferdinand (Southend United)
John O'Sullivan (Blackburn Rovers)
Samir Carruthers (Aston Villa)
Jeff Hendrick (Derby County)
Sean Murray (Watford)
Eoin Wearen (West Ham United)
Anthony Forde (Wolves)
Robert Brady (Manchester United)
Conor Murphy (Bray Wanderers)
Connor Smith (Watford)

Predator
11/05/2011, 10:45 PM
"There were some difficult calls to make in choosing the squad but I feel I've got the balance right in this selection,"

Doolin's words. I do wonder what those 'difficult calls' entailed.

Predator
11/05/2011, 10:52 PM
squad named for qualifiers in few weeks against poland, italy and ukraine. Bit of a joke that keane,mcginty and I assume harriott of sheffield utd cant be included cause of fa youth cup would it happen to the brits under 19s? No Duffy from everton or o Brien from derby or devine from villa who are all quality defenders are they injured?You're probably right that these guys would probably be released were they English. I don't believe any of those defenders are injured - Duffy's been with King's U21s recently though, would that have anything to do with it?

Seems strange that McEleney is not in he has had good season for derry.Speculation, but has McEleney possibly burnt some bridges with coaches? Very skilful player who should easily be in that squad, but I fear he may have pulled out of one too many squads.

DannyInvincible
11/05/2011, 11:01 PM
I see Kane Ferdinand is the cousin of Rio and Anton, but I'd assumed the surname came from Rio and Anton's St. Lucian father. Is Kane the son of Rio and Anton's father's brother and another Irish mother then? :confused:

You're probably right that these guys would probably be released were they English. I don't believe any of those defenders are injured - Duffy's been with King's U21s recently though, would that have anything to do with it?

Would I be correct in saying that Duffy is probably closer to first-team action than most of the other players there, whether it be with Everton or on loan with another club? Maybe he's the under-21s' business, if you will.

Speculation, but has McEleney possibly burnt some bridges with coaches? Very skilful player who should easily be in that squad, but I fear he may have pulled out of one too many squads.

McEleney is in the middle of his season. Maybe the games clash with League of Ireland fixtures or something? Would Derry be obliged to release him for under-19 qualifiers?

DannyInvincible
11/05/2011, 11:03 PM
Actually, I see there's a Bray player included in the side, so my last query doesn't really stand.

TrapAPony
11/05/2011, 11:26 PM
I see Kane Ferdinand is the cousin of Rio and Anton, but I'd assumed the surname came from Rio and Anton's St. Lucian father. Is Kane the son of Rio and Anton's father's brother and another Irish mother then? :confused:

His dad is from Dublin.
http://www.garethmaher.com/articles/irish-daily-mail/kane-ferdinand

liamoo11
11/05/2011, 11:49 PM
Think you could be right about Doolin been unhappy with McEleney which is petty and very unprofessional on Doolins part. Maybe Duffy is on standby for senior squad in Nations cup? Williams looks like the only one who can play left back even though he is centre half for villa.

Would love to see Brady play behind a front man like he has been for utd reserves lately not out wide. Dont think that will happen though with the likes of wearen, hendrick, carruthers, murray and ferdinand been highly thought of central midfielders. Forde and o sullivan are the only wide players I think. Would be great if they qualified we have been so unlucky especially at under 17 level.

Below is squad for first stage qualifiers in Oct last lots of changes over the season

Aaron McCarey - Wolves
Ciaran Gallagher - Finn Harps

Declan Walker - Wrexham
John Egan - Sunderland
Anthony O'Connor - Blackburn Rovers
Sean McGinty - Manchester United
Mark O'Brien - Derby County
Shane Duffy - Everton
Carl McHugh - Reading
Daryl Horgan - Salthill Devon
Anton Rodgers - Chelsea
Stephen McDonnell - Dundalk
Jeff Hendrick - Derby County
Liam Irwin - Bolton Wanderers
Craig Walsh - Longford Town
Gary Shaw - Bray Wanderers
Robbie Brady - Manchester United
Michael Rafter - Unattached

tetsujin1979
11/05/2011, 11:51 PM
Is Henderson overage now?

liamoo11
11/05/2011, 11:56 PM
He is. He is Cliffords and dorans age group from last season

gastric
12/05/2011, 12:30 AM
Shaughnessy has just signed a new two year contract at Aberdeen.
You will need to scroll down this site to find the relevant info.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/transfer_centre/index_wk.html

Stuttgart88
12/05/2011, 11:42 AM
You're probably right that these guys would probably be released were they English.There's always a battle between clubs & country in England. I'm not sure release is as automatic as you assume.

tetsujin1979
12/05/2011, 12:07 PM
There's always a battle between clubs & country in England. I'm not sure release is as automatic as you assume.
see Jack Wilshere just recently

ifk101
12/05/2011, 12:21 PM
McEleney is in the middle of his season. Maybe the games clash with League of Ireland fixtures or something? Would Derry be obliged to release him for under-19 qualifiers?

Shane McEleney wasn't included in the original squad for a friendly double header against Cyprus a couple of months ago. He was subsequently called up but he rejected this for "personal reasons". He was then encouraged by his manager to join the squad but at this stage somebody else had taken his position in the squad. The FAI subsequently suspended him from playing for Derry for a couple of games. Maybe this episode has ruled him out for selection.

elroy
12/05/2011, 2:12 PM
Is this lad a bit of a Stephen IReland or whats his deal? Christ if hes that difficult to manage at U19.

liamoo11
12/05/2011, 5:04 PM
Is this lad a bit of a Stephen IReland or whats his deal? Christ if hes that difficult to manage at U19.

This is the problem crazy decisions like this made by underage international managers creates. Doolin clearly wants to punish the lad and derry for what he perceives to be a slight on him for McEleney pulling out of Octobers qualifiers and then later playin for Derry. This is disgraceful on Doolins part. His role is to pick the best players for the country. He is behaving like you would at a club where you would punish a player. this is unacceptable at international underage level.

if McEleney was to switch to the north because of this Doolin would be responsible. Kerr behaved like this with Ireland at under 17 level and Givens has behaved likethis with numerous players. It has therefor become acceptable when in reality for grown men to show such a lack of professionalism in dealing with young players is dispicable. McEleney is an excellent footballer who suddenly is been painted as a rebel to soothe Doolins ego. this squad has 1 striker as smith/brady/sullivan are been used as attacking midfieldersat club level. One striker for 3 high class games in 6 days is not enough. Put away the egos and just pick the best players and if you dont like international football management Doolin go get a club job and treat players any way you like but dont ruin irish international football to prove a point

DannyInvincible
12/05/2011, 5:31 PM
Shane McEleney wasn't included in the original squad for a friendly double header against Cyprus a couple of months ago. He was subsequently called up but he rejected this for "personal reasons". He was then encouraged by his manager to join the squad but at this stage somebody else had taken his position in the squad. The FAI subsequently suspended him from playing for Derry for a couple of games. Maybe this episode has ruled him out for selection.

Promoting a sense of squad discipline is important, but professional man-management is also every bit as vital when managing players who are yet to mature. Any idea what McEleney's "personal reasons" might have been? Not that I necessarily want to intrude on the lad's privacy but I'd hope Doolin wouldn't just shun him now without trying to attain an understanding of the player and his reasoning.

Why do you think the suspension might have a part to play? You think he might have taken it thick? That's just part and parcel of playing for his club surely. Or are you suggesting the FAI might carry his disciplinary record over into the international domain, or at least urge Doolin to bring it into consideration when selecting squads? I would have thought that unusual unless the player was guilty of some gross misconduct or misdemeanor.

ifk101
12/05/2011, 6:41 PM
Promoting a sense of squad discipline is important, but professional man-management is also every bit as vital when managing players who are yet to mature. Any idea what McEleney's "personal reasons" might have been? Not that I necessarily want to intrude on the lad's privacy but I'd hope Doolin wouldn't just shun him now without trying to attain an understanding of the player and his reasoning.

I can only guess but suspect it's nothing more than genuine disappointment at not been included in the original squad when previously selected on a regular basis. Derry had league games at the time of the friendly games so that could also have influenced him given his subsequent call-up was on short notice.

Why do you think the suspension might have a part to play? You think he might have taken it thick? That's just part and parcel of playing for his club surely. Or are you suggesting the FAI might carry his disciplinary record over into the international domain, or at least urge Doolin to bring it into consideration when selecting squads? I would have thought that unusual unless the player was guilty of some gross misconduct or misdemeanor.

Nah. I presume it's just Doolin thinking he isn't committed to the squad because he didn't turn up in Cyprus. Regardless he'll be missed as he's certainly a good player in the making.

liamoo11
12/05/2011, 7:19 PM
Ireland loses out here ultimately unfortunately and potentially we lose a high quality footballer to the north. If McEleney was playing in England instead of Derry this would be seen as a far bigger issue. People assume he is never goin to be a senior international because he is with Derry at this age when the liklihood is he will move back to the uK in augest and "suddenly" become a player everyone wants to play for Ireland and not the north. By the way can McGinty and Keane from Utd expect their Ireland careers to now be over because Mr doolin is unhappy that they are playing in an Fa youth cup final and not in qualifiers?

DannyInvincible
12/05/2011, 7:25 PM
Let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet. There's no indication whatsoever that McEleney is even contemplating declaring for the north.

Predator
12/05/2011, 7:29 PM
Shane McEleney wasn't included in the original squad for a friendly double header against Cyprus a couple of months ago.Shane McEleney, the centre half or his brother Patrick?

Predator
12/05/2011, 7:30 PM
Ireland loses out here ultimately unfortunately and potentially we lose a high quality footballer to the north. If McEleney was playing in England instead of Derry this would be seen as a far bigger issue. People assume he is never goin to be a senior international because he is with Derry at this age when the liklihood is he will move back to the uK in augest and "suddenly" become a player everyone wants to play for Ireland and not the north. By the way can McGinty and Keane from Utd expect their Ireland careers to now be over because Mr doolin is unhappy that they are playing in an Fa youth cup final and not in qualifiers?Can't see either of the McEleney brothers playing for the IFA. I don't think Shane ever played for the IFA, while Patrick switched after school boy level.

ifk101
12/05/2011, 8:14 PM
Shane McEleney, the centre half or his brother Patrick?

Sorry mixed up the names. :)

Predator
12/05/2011, 10:03 PM
Would I be correct in saying that Duffy is probably closer to first-team action than most of the other players there, whether it be with Everton or on loan with another club? Maybe he's the under-21s' business, if you will.A few of those guys have played a bit of first team football, albeit at a lower level. Duffy would be the closest to first team football at the highest level, I'd say.

Also, it doesn't look like Duffy's injured because he is named in Everton's squad for the game against WBA.

geysir
13/05/2011, 2:40 PM
I remember McCaffrey singling out McEleney for high praise for his exemplary attitude, but I don't know which McEleney as I didn't know there were two of them.

Predator
13/05/2011, 7:28 PM
Got rumblings that the reason Duffy is not in the squad is due to a falling out with Doolin...

DannyInvincible
13/05/2011, 8:17 PM
I remember McCaffrey singling out McEleney for high praise for his exemplary attitude, but I don't know which McEleney as I didn't know there were two of them.

Doesn't help that both have been in squads under McCaffrey either. :p

DannyInvincible
13/05/2011, 10:28 PM
Got rumblings that the reason Duffy is not in the squad is due to a falling out with Doolin...

Worrying if true, as with McEleney. Any idea what this might be about? Is there a certain type of petty individual incapable of man-managing youngsters in a competent and professional manner that the FAI look for when filling these under-age managerial positions? Might this impact on Duffy's relationship with Noel King and the under-21s? Hopefully not.

Predator
15/05/2011, 3:48 PM
Worrying if true, as with McEleney. Any idea what this might be about? Is there a certain type of petty individual incapable of man-managing youngsters in a competent and professional manner that the FAI look for when filling these under-age managerial positions? Might this impact on Duffy's relationship with Noel King and the under-21s? Hopefully not.It's rather unfortunate. It will surely be to the detriment of the U19 team and it could possibly impact, unfairly, on Duffy's reputation within the Irish camp. I think the next U21 game is against Austria in Sligo some time over the summer, so hopefully we'll see Duffy in this squad, if not the senior squads.

liamoo11
23/05/2011, 10:58 AM
Disappointing to see Brady pull out of squad even though he may be involved for utd against juventus this week. Great that he is progressing well for utd. I guess this might be a chance for him to give ferguson some food for thought for been involved in first team vacinty in pre season.

Burke from villa called in who has done well for villa this season. Hopefully we do well this week maybe a new star will emerge with brady gone

DannyInvincible
23/05/2011, 8:33 PM
Disappointing to see Brady pull out of squad even though he may be involved for utd against juventus this week.

I just saw that myself. Why do Manchester United have a friendly with Juve tomorrow night and what sort of team are they going to put out for it? :confused:

tommy_c12000
23/05/2011, 8:58 PM
I just saw that myself. Why do Manchester United have a friendly with Juve tomorrow night and what sort of team are they going to put out for it? :confused:

Gary Neville's testomonial and a second string team (i.e. Gibson, etc)

tetsujin1979
24/05/2011, 4:15 PM
Ireland 1-0 after 15 minutes against Poland, Hendrick scored
Just seen the score update on livescore.net: http://www.livescores.net/LiveScore.do

liamoo11
24/05/2011, 4:20 PM
one up at moment Hendrick with goal 65 mins gone. Would be great win and might teach me to be less critical of squad selections!

AlaskaFox
24/05/2011, 4:27 PM
No-one reporting these games for us alas. UEFA has some kind of coverage though:
http://en.uefa.com/under19/matches/season=2011/live/day=29/session=1/match=2004664/matchcenterlight/index.html

Charlie Darwin
24/05/2011, 4:30 PM
Still 1-0 with 15 minutes to go. I didn't realise Matt Doherty was still eligible for the U19s - makes his progress at Wolves all the more impressive.

liamoo11
24/05/2011, 4:52 PM
excellent win well done lads

AlaskaFox
24/05/2011, 4:53 PM
Italy won 1-0 in the other game against Ukraine.

Hibernian
24/05/2011, 4:54 PM
lets hope its the start of good day

Charlie Darwin
24/05/2011, 4:55 PM
Italy also beat Ukraine 1-0, putting them joint top (or just below us on alphabetical difference).

AlaskaFox
24/05/2011, 4:59 PM
Italy also beat Ukraine 1-0, putting them joint top (or just below us on alphabetical difference).

Ahead of us? Republic of Ireland?

Charlie Darwin
24/05/2011, 5:04 PM
Damn, good point. Football apartheid strikes again.

gastric
26/05/2011, 8:32 AM
Match summary here - damn good team!

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/hendrick-boosts-ireland-bid-2656491.html

ltfc_2004
26/05/2011, 10:28 AM
Who are the stand out players from the U-19's to look out for ?

AlaskaFox
26/05/2011, 12:20 PM
Who are the stand out players from the U-19's to look out for ?

Doherty, Murray, and Forde. Murphy too up front, and both keepers are decent.

Brady would be the standout, but he stayed with Man Utd for the Youth Cup instead of this.

DannyInvincible
26/05/2011, 12:51 PM
What's Carruthers like? Didn't he turn down a contract whilst at Arsenal to move to Villa?

ltfc_2004
26/05/2011, 5:33 PM
Good 0-0 v the Ukraine sets them up for a final day showdown with Italy

Bungle
26/05/2011, 7:33 PM
Italy beat Poland 1-0 so we have to beat Italy now. Bit of this would be good... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXauYVy_dws

greendeiseboy
26/05/2011, 7:56 PM
Italy beat Poland 1-0 so we have to beat Italy now. Bit of this would be good... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXauYVy_dws

2-1 to Italy after 70mins -match still in progress

tetsujin1979
26/05/2011, 8:11 PM
3-1 now after 80 minutes