PDA

View Full Version : rowdies at euro 2004

the 12 th man
16/06/2004, 11:13 AM
listening to report on off the ball on newstalk last night.ken earley is over in portugal doing roving reports.
after the england france match he said he came accross a group of english fans talking to a group of french fans and they were all speaking in french to each other with no hint of trouble.
he said along came "the boys" with the jerseys and the union jacks and the french fans legged it.
he turned on his tape and interviewed :rolleyes: the hard men.
you would not believe the hostility and anger comming out of these guys towards ken earley and the fenian scum radio station he was representing.
anybody else hear this ?????

max power
16/06/2004, 11:15 AM
yeah i heard it, but i feel they were acting, when they heard he was from a radio station in dublin they put a lot of it on, but there were chants of..no surrender to the ira....at the game on sunday

pete
16/06/2004, 11:26 AM
Wasn't nice to hear but thoise lads were clearly plastered & acting up for each other.

I;m sure could get the same in Cork on a saturday night with renditions of "FCUK the Dubs..." ?

drinkfeckarse
16/06/2004, 12:15 PM
Was at home for my lunch yesterday and had Sky Sports News on. They linked up to some reporter in Lisbon or somewhere but had to cut it almost immediately when the tan supporters surrounding him starting singing "No surrender to the I.R.A" :rolleyes:

Pat O' Banton
16/06/2004, 12:26 PM
Many of them don't need to put anything on, there is a deep hatred towards the Irish amoung many English football fans (personally speaking I have been verbally and physically assaulted for carrying a tricolour at Arsenal matches and they are one of the better sets of fans towards the Irish.) And if you believe that they were putting it on for the media you have to wonder if they didn't have latent feellings like this anyway.
Basically my own personal experiance of them is that they believe (or use it as an excuse for violence) that Irish people are potential bombers.
(to balance this up I have met Ingerland fans who will cheer on Ireland, but this can be awful as well as the patronising content of what they say is unbelievable)

pete
16/06/2004, 12:35 PM
Many of them done need to put anything on, there is a deep hatred towards the Irish amoung many English football fans (personally speaking I have been verbally and physically assaulted for carrying a tricolour at Arsenal matches and they are one of the better sets of fans towards the Irish.)

And you don't think someone would get some form of abuse for bringing a St Georges Cross to an eL game?

Pat O' Banton
16/06/2004, 12:53 PM
And you don't think someone would get some form of abuse for bringing a St Georges Cross to an eL game?

Considering the tradition of both Irish players and fans at Arsenal, in my naievity, I didn't consider it a particular liability.
Anyway are you saying that if people bring certain flags to football matches they deserve to be assaulted or should expect it :confused:

pete
16/06/2004, 2:01 PM
Anyway are you saying that if people bring certain flags to football matches they deserve to be assaulted or should expect it :confused:

No, just pointing out reality.

lopez
16/06/2004, 3:04 PM
And you don't think someone would get some form of abuse for bringing a St Georges Cross to an eL game?Don't know about an eL game, but there was tan with a butcher's apron going in and coming out of the game in Portugal in 2000 with no more than a few comments under people's breath.

I was on a meal break one day at Wembley Park station and the tans were playing and a load get off the train (I was in a room on the platform). I heard this 'Kill the Irish scum, f*cking fenian b*stards.' Nice chaps all the same. :rolleyes:

pete
16/06/2004, 3:34 PM
Drunk Irish Fan steals abulance in Algarve (http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/2004/0616/index.htm#103921)

:eek:

max power
16/06/2004, 3:43 PM
post the text as ya have to log into that site to use it

pete
16/06/2004, 4:59 PM
post the text as ya have to log into that site to use it

Don't have the text, was relying on ye ;)

Pat O' Banton
16/06/2004, 5:09 PM
Actually; there was a couple of lads in Ingerland shirts at the Ireland v Nigeria game at the Valley and as far as I could see noting was said to them. But I digress.
Pete, I am genuinely unsure how your point relates to the Ingerland fans on the radio or their attitude towards Irish people. Do you either believe that their fans have a strong anti Irish bias and therefore it is unadvisable to bring Ireland flags to English league games or do you believe that if you shove a microphone in an Ingerland fans face he will act all anti Irish so he can be the big man in front of his freinds but that he won't mean anything by it.

Sorry if I'm quoting you out of context but you seem to be saying two seperate things.

eoinh
16/06/2004, 5:55 PM
Euronews have covered stories about english fans rioting over the last two days.

lopez
16/06/2004, 9:42 PM
Drunk Irish Fan steals abulance in Algarve (http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/2004/0616/index.htm#103921)

:eek:Didn't know Ireland were playing in the European Championships? :confused:

pete
17/06/2004, 9:03 AM
Actually; there was a couple of lads in Ingerland shirts at the Ireland v Nigeria game at the Valley and as far as I could see noting was said to them. But I digress.
Pete, I am genuinely unsure how your point relates to the Ingerland fans on the radio or their attitude towards Irish people. Do you either believe that their fans have a strong anti Irish bias and therefore it is unadvisable to bring Ireland flags to English league games or do you believe that if you shove a microphone in an Ingerland fans face he will act all anti Irish so he can be the big man in front of his freinds but that he won't mean anything by it.

Sorry if I'm quoting you out of context but you seem to be saying two seperate things.

Thats about it alright. Also i'd have thought be kinda hard to slag off english people in Charltons stadium. I'm sure most irish at those games were lving in Britiain too?

Pat O' Banton
17/06/2004, 10:47 AM
Thats about it alright. Also i'd have thought be kinda hard to slag off english people in Charltons stadium. I'm sure most irish at those games were lving in Britiain too?

So you are saying that some Ingerland fans have a violent hatred of the Irish but at the same time don't mean anything by it?

And you are also saying that it would be unadvisable to bring a St. George's cross to an eL game but also that you shouldn't be suprised to see people wandering around in Ingerland tops at an Ireland game :confused:

Pat O' Banton
17/06/2004, 10:59 AM
Gone to a few games across the way, been with Leeds fans and have to say that haven't had one cross word said about being Irish. On the other hand, I get the feeling that there's a new type of sick hatred, sort of a 'whites against Asians' mentality, which sees us cast as the good guys. Dunno if the hatred has gone, but think it may be refocussed on other groups.

Remember seeing that the far right are trying to say that the Protestant and Catholics in the north of Ireland should unite (a good idea from the far right :eek: but wait...) in order to kick out any non whites from the north. :rolleyes:

I do still feel that there is a depth of hatred towards the Irish that is not so easily focused since the second ceasefire, certainly the tabloid world can now look for a new emeny and so in a way the heat has been taken off Irish people. But still think that if you scratch the surface hostility can still be found.

As I pointed out earlier this hostility isn't universal amoungst football fans but it does still exist and in broad enough sections.

lopez
17/06/2004, 6:08 PM
Thats about it alright. Also i'd have thought be kinda hard to slag off english people in Charltons stadium. I'm sure most irish at those games were lving in Britiain too?Are you talking through your a*se or is there some point to your comments. Why bring up a story about an Irishman (could be the eejit the other night coming out of the France - Scum game telling Sky TV 'I'm gutted, like.' :rolleyes: ) knicking an ambulance when this thread is about football 'supporters'?

gspain
18/06/2004, 8:13 AM
Quite a few turned up in Lisbon in 2000 in england tops to support us a couple of good natured jibes but nothing more. Leeds fan behind me thought Ian Harte was world class and chanted every time he touched the ball. Still I suppose Phil Neville wa sEngland elft back then and he makes Ian Harte look world class.

Man City came to Limerick back in the early 90's 91 I think and draped Union Jacks and Georges crosses all over Thomond Park - no problems at all.

Interesting poll on Newstalk 106 yesterday - 66% of listeners wanted England to win yesterday.

Macy
18/06/2004, 8:40 AM
Remember seeing that the far right are trying to say that the Protestant and Catholics in the north of Ireland should unite (a good idea from the far right :eek: but wait...) in order to kick out any non whites from the north. :rolleyes:

I do still feel that there is a depth of hatred towards the Irish that is not so easily focused since the second ceasefire, certainly the tabloid world can now look for a new emeny and so in a way the heat has been taken off Irish people. But still think that if you scratch the surface hostility can still be found.

As I pointed out earlier this hostility isn't universal amoungst football fans but it does still exist and in broad enough sections.
Being serious now, not another c0ckney thing (honestly Lopez), but I've got to say we never experienced any hostility in Manchester for being Irish. Even after the bombings, it was more anti-IRA than anti-Irish from my experience. Can't speak for the no-mark towns around (the Boltons and Oldhams), but there was never any threat or hatred for being Irish. So basically, is it a Southern/ "middle" England thing or an English thing?

Duncan Gardner
18/06/2004, 9:56 AM
Steering neatly clear of the main theme, but Ken Early of Newstalk 106 is a sound lad, if ye can forgive his obsession about Vlad Smicer and Bruno Cheyrou. Had a beer with him after the Nigeria game. Look for Valderrama's younger brother at your next away game :)

gspain
18/06/2004, 3:36 PM
Steering neatly clear of the main theme, but Ken Early of Newstalk 106 is a sound lad, if ye can forgive his obsession about Vlad Smicer and Bruno Cheyrou. Had a beer with him after the Nigeria game. Look for Valderrama's younger brother at your next away game :)

Never met him but they have agood sports show from 7p-10pm every weekeday normally presented by Ger Gilroy called Off the Ball with plenty of football coverage including the domestic game unlike RTE who show wall to wall gaa and even put it on RTE 1 now (normally all psort is on Network 2) to boost the ratings when football consistently attracts more viewers.

lopez
18/06/2004, 6:45 PM
Being serious now, not another c0ckney thing (honestly Lopez), but I've got to say we never experienced any hostility in Manchester for being Irish. Even after the bombings, it was more anti-IRA than anti-Irish from my experience. Can't speak for the no-mark towns around (the Boltons and Oldhams), but there was never any threat or hatred for being Irish. So basically, is it a Southern/ "middle" England thing or an English thing?Personally couldn't give a f*ck if it's a c0ckney w@anker thing or not, Macy. You go ahead. Britain's Irish community has enough on its plate without us rising to people trying to divide us into Mancs, Cokneys, Brummies, etc.

As my old man used to live in Manchester in the late forties and most of the fifties, and I have relations in the city, I'll take his word for it. He tells me that he never had any probs there (I think he would have liked to have moved up there but for my mum). However Birmingham, where he moved onto next (and this was pre 69 or 74) was a different matter. And yes I'd say that the no-mark towns are different - certainly by my dealings with the Scum and the Englishman abroad - but last time I looked they were in Greater Manchester.

In the English population as a whole anti-Irishness is largely redundant although I wouldn't say it never existed. I remember the seventies were particualrly terrible IMO with the IRA on one hand and a constant drip drip of propaganda by the media portraying us as intelectually subhuman. Things got better after the mid eighties with the signing of the Anglo-Irish agreement. As for the Irish team, they always supported us, but then a chunk of the population still think that Ireland is part of the United Kingdom (this is not a joke: I've worked with some blokes that can't equate republic with being independent). Not so with the scum. Nice to see that old number 'No surrender' being played on Irish radio. Just to remind those that have forgotten February 1995.

shugk1
18/06/2004, 9:35 PM
Boys just bring your tricolours over to Celtic Park, you'll not get any trouble from us, we know where our blood comes from.

lopez
18/06/2004, 10:24 PM
You're forgetting the Northern english firms who caused the majority of grief @ Lansdowne.....led/synchronised by the C18/Loyalists from Landaan/osc....in case you think this is just an opinion....have a look at the reports in the Irish/T*n broadsheets of the day....C18 had nothing to do with February 1995, although the c*nts didn't waste much time trying to get on the bandwagon. Charlie Sargent, currently staying at a hotel belonging to the German lady, was livid he didn't go over. No it was just simply the scum. Nothing more, nothing less. Trying to bring in a political element to it simply suggests that the tan fans were all innocent angels that day.

BTW, speaking of the German lady, for a bunch of c*nts that sing about her a lot, she hasn't graced her subjects with her presence - unlike her cousin the other day (fell asleep then thought it was two-nil when he was awoken by the cheering greeting the goal by Morientes :rolleyes: ).

lopez
18/06/2004, 11:04 PM
Not what I've heard/read more than once...........though in terms of no's they had only footsoldiers,but was 'organised'......that's why it was so bad & were tipped-off by OWL friends...they were leafleting northern clubs'hoolies encouraging them to go....refer you to the media reports....

Loved to have been there though when the Guards handed out appropriate just that night @ DL ferry terminal......think the T*ns surrendered that night! :DWhite Riot which documents the rise and fall of C18 claims it was all cojones that they took part. Foot soldiers may have been there - there were plenty C18 stickers around the place - but that's different than Sargent and Browning and the hierarchy actually plotting it. Big spread about Sargent in the Screws of the World the following sunday, but this was all b*llocks. He wasn't in Dublin and was more interested in setting up his own version of Montana in Essex at the time to concern himself with Dublin. I think he was a bit disilusioned at his fellow countrymen. The previous year's planned (and aborted) visit to the fatherland on the fuhrer's birthday was to be celebrated with a joint Anglo-German operation against Berlin's Gay community and other inferior races but he was told the tans just wanted to fight the Krauts.

Facts are this was the result of ordinary tans (it wouldn't take an Osama Bin Laden to get this kick-off going). As you may know C18 were strong in London but outside were a complete load of w*nkers. One of their more memorable kick-ins took place in Birmingham at the hands of Celtic fans in Digbeth when they played Brum City shortly after Dublin.