PDA

View Full Version : Euro 2004 big game let downs

drinkfeckarse
16/06/2004, 10:47 AM
Don't know about the rest of ye but the big games have been a let down again for me..i.e. France v Tans and Holland v Germany. I think we build them up too much, expecting classics which they rarely turn out to be. IMO the best game by far has been the Sweden v Bulgaria match. Entertaining to watch both teams pass it about a bit, I don't think Bulgaria deserved to lose by that amount as they didn't play too bad themselves for the first 55 minutes! Spain and Russia was a great game to watch too on Saturday night. Looking forward to the Spain v Portugal and Sweden v Denmark matches, hopefully they don't turn about to be let-downs too now that I've mentioned them :mad:

tiktok
16/06/2004, 10:58 AM
I really enjoyed the Germany -v- Holland game to be honest.

gspain
16/06/2004, 11:06 AM
I thought Germany v Holland was the game of the tournament so far. Germany were very impressive and the dutch showed great heart and courage when playing badly to equalise and it was some goal.

England v France was also a very good game - England played very well and then shot themselves in the foot at the end and Zidane's freekick and penalty were superb.

Sweden took their goals well but Bulgaria played better than any side I ever saw lose 5-0 but their defending was poor.

The quality of the football in general has been pretty gopod - ok a couple of bad scoreless games but on the whole looks like a good tournament - wish we were there.!!!! :( :(

Pat O' Banton
16/06/2004, 11:09 AM
Except for the lack of an Irish team, we were a bit spoilt last time. Most of the games in 2000 were either of a high standard or just exciting (with the notable exception of any game the Norwegians were involved in.
From what I have seen of this tourny there hasn't been much to grab the attention, with the exception of the Bulgaria v Sweden game

pete
16/06/2004, 11:22 AM
Euro Championships are IMO better than the World Cup as more passionate fans & players plus the games are usually closer competitively. Teams playing every 4 days is better than WC where can be 6-7 days between matches.

England v France & Holland v Germany have been very good considering the rivalry.

btw euro2004.com website is horrible :o

Schumi
16/06/2004, 11:44 AM
I've really enjoyed the tournament so far. Holland-Germany and France-England have been good games. The rest haven't been bad except Switzerland-Croatia but I missed that. :p Not as good as 2000 but that was the best bit of TV football I've seen so it's a bit much to expect it to top that.

drinkfeckarse
16/06/2004, 12:07 PM
While I'm not suggesting the France or the Holland game were terrible to watch, I do honestly think they were a let down considering the talent on show. France for me never clicked at all (hopefully that continues to the qualifiers) and England rarely threatened although I will admit to being well under the influence at that stage on Sunday. Holland were poor by their standards while Germany....well, they were just Germany, always hard to beat when it matters. For technical ability, the Sweden Bulgaria game was a joy to watch and for me, teams like France and Holland who have that talent in abundance have failed to show it........so far.

pineapple stu
16/06/2004, 5:26 PM
Have to break the trend and agree with drinkfeckarse. Holland v. Germany was one of the best games so far, but wasn't a classic. Spain v. Russia was poor - the Spanish were happy with 1-0 and didn't do anything after that. Switzerland v. Croatia was woeful, Denmark v. Italy wasn't supposed to have been up to much, Portugal v. Greece was tame enough, and I thought the England-France game was very poor - how the Brits can claim they were outstanding and deserved a win is beyond me. It I want to watch ten men behind the ball for an hour, I'll watch Andorra...

Maybe the heat has something to do with it, maybe the ball has had something to do with it, maybe the playres are tired (poor dears), maybe watching as a casula observer is just so different from watching my team week in week out that I can't make the change-over, but I haven't been too impressed either.

drinkfeckarse
20/06/2004, 10:47 AM
I take it all back! Holland v Czech Rep has renewed my faith :D What a match! The game had everything and has to be the best game I've watched in a long time