PDA

View Full Version : Waterford (Home)

Jofspring
10/05/2011, 4:15 PM
I feel we need to win this as much to keep Waterford down while the chance is there as to push us up the league. If Waterford come to Limerick and get a win it will give them a huge boost in confidence not to mind moving ahead of us in the league and I can see them starting to string results together again. Going on what was said last week if we hold our nerve and perform like that again we should be taking all 3 points. I hate playing the top teams at home though, its nearly always bad news. Would like to see the same team start again and hopefully the late equaliser last week doesn't affect the team.

Limerick 1-0 Waterford Att:560

nosebleds
10/05/2011, 9:51 PM
can i make a sugestion that might help us against waterford,and for the rest of the season Bring back the Cheer Leaders :cool:.

Monkfish
10/05/2011, 11:56 PM
can i make a sugestion that might help us against waterford,and for the rest of the season Bring back the Cheer Leaders :cool:.

Yung wans in fake tang dancing badly can be found in the Icon every weekend. As for the game we'll get a draw. (if we're lucky)

1-1

bluewhitearmy
11/05/2011, 2:17 PM
If we play the way we played against monaghan then we should beat Waterford handy enough....At the end of it we were unlucky in Monaghan the equaliswer wasnt even a header it just hit the defender on tthe back of his head.

Steve, Hynes and Paudie were brilliant against Mons if tehy keep that up i cnat see Waterford being able to handle them....Willy John Kiely is a good player but he was only back for the 1st time last week i think so will be lacking match fitness.....When i seen them play this year the only person id worry about would be Paul Murphy.

2-0 Limerick.

nosebleds
12/05/2011, 9:29 PM
a few good results starting with waterford would put us back in the firing line.Nothing is impossible.

Jofspring
12/05/2011, 10:48 PM
Limericks chance to show if they have the bottle for it tomorrow night.

bluewhitearmy
12/05/2011, 11:50 PM
Limericks chance to show if they have the bottle for it tomorrow night.

If they bottle it tomorrow we may as well start planing for 1st division again next season.

osarusan
13/05/2011, 1:34 AM
2-0 Limerick. Early goal to settle us down.

harpin
13/05/2011, 7:03 AM
Seems to me that it's that point already in the season...happens every year....the game we bill as having to win or we've no chance of going up. What I really hate is that you'll start to see the crowds drop and the usual around town about why going up to watch that ****

2 lads used to go all the time and we had one of these games against Dundalk think we lost 4-1 never seen them again(well I have...just not at a Limerick game)

Hopefully 1-0 but I'll go for 1-1

harpin
13/05/2011, 7:44 AM
Tonight is the point in our season where the result will define the rest of our season.
A win will put us in the frame for the race for promotion and a draw or a loss will confine us to a season in mid table of Div 1.
I think tonight the lads should win,we have the a squad of players that have plenty of ability and are starting to play as a unit.
2-1 to Limerick

That's my point "and a draw or a loss will confine us to a season in mid table of Div 1" people will start saying this and crowds drop off. I don't think it defines our season myself this team is very capable of winning a few games on the trot....I think what'll define our season is Scully's completely ridicolous substitutions and his over cautious approach when we're ahead...which are probably one and the same thing

Monkfish
13/05/2011, 9:51 AM
Tonight is the point in our season where the result will define the rest of our season.

Not at all, its only mid May. Yes we need to win but we need to win every game. What if we win 5-0 tonight and then go out and draw with Harps next week?
People need to calm down a little, when we win we're the best in the league when we lose we're useless, we're neither, we're just alright with a chance (if Scully cops on a small bit) of an interesting season pushing for a play-off spot.

Lim till i die
13/05/2011, 10:23 AM
Not at all, its only mid May. Yes we need to win but we need to win every game. What if we win 5-0 tonight and then go out and draw with Harps next week?
People need to calm down a little, when we win we're the best in the league when we lose we're useless, we're neither, we're just alright with a chance (if Scully cops on a small bit) of an interesting season pushing for a play-off spot.

Agree with a lot of this.

BUT :)

Lose tonight and statistically you can probably write this season off as a bad job, we're about five points off where we should be at the end of series 1, you'd be looking at roughly 45 points needed from last 20 games then?! :D In all my years following Limerick we've never looked anywhere close to being that consistent.

Basically it's more winnable than some of the games you'd fancy us to quite possibly lose in the coming weeks (Longford away, Cork home) so in that sense it's important.

Then again as you point out, we're more than capable of beating Waterford 8-0 then losing 1-0 to Harps. :)

Jofspring
13/05/2011, 10:34 AM
Don't think it will define our season but the confidence we should get will be a great help. It might help put to bed the fact we don't do the business when it counts. With Shels playing Cork tonight it's a great opportunity.

harpin
13/05/2011, 10:49 AM
Agree with a lot of this.

BUT

Lose tonight and statistically you can probably write this season off as a bad job, we're about five points off where we should be at the end of series 1, you'd be looking at roughly 45 points needed from last 20 games then?! In all my years following Limerick we've never looked anywhere close to being that consistent.

Basically it's more winnable than some of the games you'd fancy us to quite possibly lose in the coming weeks (Longford away, Cork home) so in that sense it's important.

Then again as you point out, we're more than capable of beating Waterford 8-0 then losing 1-0 to Harps.

"Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything. 14% of people know that.":D

Monkfish
13/05/2011, 11:42 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_1ZB5cjylx2o/S_TAemzDUbI/AAAAAAAACNE/cz-6S2sI1hQ/s1600/STAT+MAN.gif

bluewhitearmy
13/05/2011, 12:57 PM
this one game doesnt define our season but its the 1st time we have played one of the top teams at home this year and if we bottle it here then i dont think we have any hope of keeping our nerve against the likes of Cork or Shels when they come to Jackman.

abbeyvale
13/05/2011, 4:43 PM
Seems to me that it's that point already in the season...happens every year....the game we bill as having to win or we've no chance of going up. What I really hate is that you'll start to see the crowds drop and the usual around town about why going up to watch that ****

2 lads used to go all the time and we had one of these games against Dundalk think we lost 4-1 never seen them again(well I have...just not at a Limerick game)

Hopefully 1-0 but I'll go for 1-1

LFC 2-1 Waterford
LFC 3-1 Finn Harps

Monkfish
13/05/2011, 11:29 PM
Fine win, absolute heart in mouth time at the end with a free header going wide on the 95th min!
Smallest crowd of the year?

gael353
13/05/2011, 11:58 PM
yep deffo smallest crowd of the year and tbh i thought there would have been 250/300 more but dunno where there gone. Good and much required win although i wasnt happy with the subs late on again cos we play a 4 3 1 2 when u take off the central midfield and bring on a defender in that position it means your now playing a 7 01 2 formation bringing the unnessary pressure onto us against a poor waterford side. Next up harps and another must win

harpin
14/05/2011, 6:56 AM
yep deffo smallest crowd of the year and tbh i thought there would have been 250/300 more but dunno where there gone. Good and much required win although i wasnt happy with the subs late on again cos we play a 4 3 1 2 when u take off the central midfield and bring on a defender in that position it means your now playing a 7 01 2 formation bringing the unnessary pressure onto us against a poor waterford side. Next up harps and another must win

Also confusion which was also not helped by Scully roaring contradictory instructions

thomas72
14/05/2011, 10:19 AM
how peter hynes stayed on the field ill never know he is beyond useless and putting judgey out on the right in the 2nd half was crazy he is the engine of the midfield and to take him out of there was maddness. it was like mons all over again 95mins free header dont know how he missed it its lucky for scully he did miss it his crazy tactics and subs nearly cost us again.

Jofspring
14/05/2011, 11:00 AM
Hynes didn't have one of his best games but he has been one of our best players so far this season. C.Tracey, O'Flynn and Paudie Quinn where poor too. Waterford had a free header to level it but O'Flynn had a free header narrowly go over as it looked destined for the top corner and Calla had one just narrowly go over also so we could have been well ahead also. Scully started off with the normal formation 4-3-3 that he has been going with all season but then when Frost got injured and they started getting more success out wide he switched to 4-4-2 to get two wingers out there and two centre midfielders to steady it a bit. O'Leary asked Scully to come off because he was injured so thats why White came in there. Waterford got a bit more success down Frosts wing after he played on injured but we managed to hang on. Scully was screaming at the team to stop dropping deep and just get rid of the ball but we managed to drop deeper and deeper and try and play it out which heaped more pressure on us. Waterford didn't actually trouble us till the last 5 minutes so it would have been harsh if they came away with anything. If it was Shels or Cork that played poor and won it like that last night we'd say thats the different in class. We need to take the wins when we can get them no matter how they come about. C.Tracey has had two poor games from what I have seen this season, 1 against Wexford and 1 against Waterford, barr that he has been very solid. Thought O'Leary, Judge, S.Tracey, Calla, Purcell and Ryan had very good games, Frost only got poor after his injury. What I liked last night was the fact Frost was willing to give Purcell a bollocking at one stage when he started dropping two deep. At least this year there are more experienced players there willing to do this rather than leave it all up to Purcell.

First series of games is over, we are two points behind automatic promotion and only 5 behind 1st. Not bad really. The Wexford result is the only one to really **** us up.

Need to go out next week and do a job on Finn Harps. They will probably come very defensive so it could take a while to break them down.

harpin
14/05/2011, 11:29 AM
Scully was screaming at the team to stop dropping deep and just get rid of the ball.

And how does that make sense? If he was screaming hold on to the ball then we wouldn't be dropping deeper but if you're constantly getting rid you're inviting pressure on you and will drop deeper....I made this point further up the page...confuses the players...nerves set in....all caused by him

Jofspring
14/05/2011, 12:03 PM
And how does that make sense? If he was screaming hold on to the ball then we wouldn't be dropping deeper but if you're constantly getting rid you're inviting pressure on you and will drop deeper....I made this point further up the page...confuses the players...nerves set in....all caused by him

It was the defenders he was screaming get rid of it to when they where delaying on the ball. It was when the midfield and strikers had the ball he was telling them to hold onto it. They where needlessly trying to play quick ball in the middle of the park and lost possession a few times this way instead of holding onto the ball and relieve the pressure form the back 4.

Waterford where always due a good spell and they got that in the last few minutes.

We've only lost two games this season, 1 to Cork and 1 to a Wexford team that we really should be beating. All in all that ain't bad for the first series of games.

Finn Harps: Drew with them, usually not a bad result up there but they have been on a terrible run since. Lost Garry Sheehan, O'Flynn for 3 games and Purcell for Cork.
Salthill: Won comfortably
Cork: Lost narrowly but with one of the poorest teams we have started with this season.
Longford: Won comfortable enough barr a little scare. Good result when you Longford have been on a great run since.
Shels: Drew, a good result up there and they certainly did not look way better than us. We dominated the first half and them the second.
Wexford: Shocking result. Bad day.
Mervue: Won comfortably, a team other teams have struggle against.
Athlone: Won comfortably, again a team other teams have struggled against even though they aren't great.
Monaghan: A draw is a good result up there, Shels and Waterford both lost to them. We probably should have won but didn't.
Waterford: Another win, thought we where comfortable most of the game but where needlessly under pressure in the end.

I probably would have taken that at the start of the season. Now we have Cork, Shels and Monaghan having to come to Limerick in the next round of games. Continue to take points away from home and pick up 3 at home in most the games and we will be right in it. Gary Sheehan hopefully returning in July or August too.

Anyone know where McCarthy was?

bluewhitearmy
14/05/2011, 2:16 PM
It was the defenders he was screaming get rid of it to when they where delaying on the ball. It was when the midfield and strikers had the ball he was telling them to hold onto it. They where needlessly trying to play quick ball in the middle of the park and lost possession a few times this way instead of holding onto the ball and relieve the pressure form the back 4.

Waterford where always due a good spell and they got that in the last few minutes.

We've only lost two games this season, 1 to Cork and 1 to a Wexford team that we really should be beating. All in all that ain't bad for the first series of games.

Finn Harps: Drew with them, usually not a bad result up there but they have been on a terrible run since. Lost Garry Sheehan, O'Flynn for 3 games and Purcell for Cork.
Salthill: Won comfortably
Cork: Lost narrowly but with one of the poorest teams we have started with this season.
Longford: Won comfortable enough barr a little scare. Good result when you Longford have been on a great run since.
Shels: Drew, a good result up there and they certainly did not look way better than us. We dominated the first half and them the second.
Wexford: Shocking result. Bad day.
Mervue: Won comfortably, a team other teams have struggle against.
Athlone: Won comfortably, again a team other teams have struggled against even though they aren't great.
Monaghan: A draw is a good result up there, Shels and Waterford both lost to them. We probably should have won but didn't.
Waterford: Another win, thought we where comfortable most of the game but where needlessly under pressure in the end.

I probably would have taken that at the start of the season. Now we have Cork, Shels and Monaghan having to come to Limerick in the next round of games. Continue to take points away from home and pick up 3 at home in most the games and we will be right in it. Gary Sheehan hopefully returning in July or August too.

Anyone know where McCarthy was?

He was sick last few days hadnt recovered for lastnight.

As for someone saying Hynes is crap he has been our best player this year.

bluewhitearmy
14/05/2011, 2:25 PM
It seems to me that some fans will never be happy with what Scully achieves.The players have to take some responsibility for the way they perform and continue to drop off late on in games,as for Judge moving out wide it he was the only one making any breaks through the Waterford defence and making our only clear chances of the 2nd half.

Theres a few lads that just personally dont like Scully they find something wrong with anything he does so i wouldnt pay too much attention to some of them.

Dont know who Harpin is so cant say if he is one of those people.

True what Jof said if it was Cork or Shels that had done that to us we would be saying thats the difference that they can get results not playing well. That was the strongest team Waterford had been able to put out in ages with the return of their main attcking players from injury and suspension.

Judge on the wing is very good played there against Mervue,Athlone and Monaghan and they were probabaly our 3 best performances this year.

We are in a good position after the 1st series of games and we still have Gary Sheehan to come back even sooner then that we have Chris Breen to come back and surely O'Flynn is too good to play so poorly for much longer i think he just needs a goal or 2 to get his confidence back.

da bishop
14/05/2011, 8:30 PM
it is a great 3pts,so for the diehards thats the important thing,for anyone else that might not be enough,the football played last night was quite poor and sometimes people want to see a good game,the standard in recent games has,n been good enough to keep or entice those extra followers we need.think the criticism of hynes is unjustified,he is trying his heart out and making a decent contribution,however the same cant be said for o connor unfit and disinterested,o flynn should start concentrating on his own game and quit the constant moaning at everyone else and then theres purcell an example to all and the best centrehalf in the division.scully will be really judged on results so if that means a negative change works for him to see out the 3pts so be it as long as the points are secured.

abbeyvale
15/05/2011, 12:28 AM
Where is everyone,there is only 422 at the match,up 1-0 and doing ok.

The club must have counted the kids in the Hyde Park across the road aswell, coz there was no way over 400 at that game on Friday.

abbeyvale
15/05/2011, 12:32 AM
Hynes didn't have one of his best games but he has been one of our best players so far this season. C.Tracey, O'Flynn and Paudie Quinn where poor too. Waterford had a free header to level it but O'Flynn had a free header narrowly go over as it looked destined for the top corner and Calla had one just narrowly go over also so we could have been well ahead also. Scully started off with the normal formation 4-3-3 that he has been going with all season but then when Frost got injured and they started getting more success out wide he switched to 4-4-2 to get two wingers out there and two centre midfielders to steady it a bit. O'Leary asked Scully to come off because he was injured so thats why White came in there. Waterford got a bit more success down Frosts wing after he played on injured but we managed to hang on. Scully was screaming at the team to stop dropping deep and just get rid of the ball but we managed to drop deeper and deeper and try and play it out which heaped more pressure on us. Waterford didn't actually trouble us till the last 5 minutes so it would have been harsh if they came away with anything. If it was Shels or Cork that played poor and won it like that last night we'd say thats the different in class. We need to take the wins when we can get them no matter how they come about. C.Tracey has had two poor games from what I have seen this season, 1 against Wexford and 1 against Waterford, barr that he has been very solid. Thought O'Leary, Judge, S.Tracey, Calla, Purcell and Ryan had very good games, Frost only got poor after his injury. What I liked last night was the fact Frost was willing to give Purcell a bollocking at one stage when he started dropping two deep. At least this year there are more experienced players there willing to do this rather than leave it all up to Purcell.

First series of games is over, we are two points behind automatic promotion and only 5 behind 1st. Not bad really. The Wexford result is the only one to really **** us up.

Need to go out next week and do a job on Finn Harps. They will probably come very defensive so it could take a while to break them down.

Lads, does anyone know why Yellow isn't even being named in the matchday squads these days??? he isn't injured and surely has something to offer!!!!!!!!

bluewhitearmy
15/05/2011, 2:12 AM
Lads, does anyone know why Yellow isn't even being named in the matchday squads these days??? he isn't injured and surely has something to offer!!!!!!!!

http://www.moviewallpapers.net/images/wallpapers/1934/the-man-who-knew-too-much/the-man-who-knew-too-much-373-40.jpg
He saw something he wasnt meant to.

abbeyvale
16/05/2011, 1:51 PM
http://www.moviewallpapers.net/images/wallpapers/1934/the-man-who-knew-too-much/the-man-who-knew-too-much-373-40.jpg
He saw something he wasnt meant to.

pm me