PDA

View Full Version : SOCCER EXTRA : McGeady's new deal

thejollyrodger
15/06/2004, 8:20 AM
SOCCER EXTRA : McGeady's new deal

CELTIC and Ireland starlet Aiden McGeady has put pen to paper on a new four-year deal after Martin O'Neill kept his vow not to lose another precocious emerald talent.

The 18-year-old broke into the Bhoys' first team towards the end of last season. He scored on his debut against Hearts on April 25 and then made his senior international debut in the Unity Cup against Jamaica earlier this month.

"I am delighted to have committed myself to Celtic for the next four years," said the Glasgow-born striker who opted to declare for the land of his Donegal-born grandparents.

The latest teenage prodigy is now hoping to make progress on the international front. "It's strange to be working with all these big stars like Roy Keane and find that they're so down to earth.

"The whole thing was amazing. I could never have expected to be making my international debut so soon and it was something I will never forget."

Ian Harte, meanwhile, could soon be on his way to Valencia. Claudio Ranieri, the Spanish champions' new manager, i swell aware of Harte's ability from his time as Chelsea coach and is considering making an unlikely move for the Drogheda man.

Harte's reputation has dipped somewhat recently - he is no longer assured of a place on the Irish team, while his dramatic slump in form at club level has mirrored Leeds' fortunes.

Following their relegation from the Premiership, Leeds are keen to trim their wage bill by off-loading some of their highest earners - including set-piece expert Harte, who was linked to Barcelona and Inter Milan two years ago.

Leeds, meanwhile, have signed defender Paul Butler from Wolves and striker Julian Joachim from Coventry.

* DERRY CITY have cooled their interest in luring former boss Felix Healy back to the Brandywell following Paul Diamond's decision not to join the board. Former Waterford United manager Jimmy McGeough is now the favourite to replace Gavin Dykes.

David Kelly

thejollyrodger
15/06/2004, 8:26 AM
15/06/04

McGeady a happy Bhoy for another four years
By Lisa Grey
CELTIC midfielder Aiden McGeady insists there was never a chance of him being torn away from Parkhead.

The 18-year-old has signed a new four-year deal with the club after making a goalscoring debut against Hearts in April.

The new contract is merely the latest in a line of success stories for McGeady following swiftly on from his first Republic of Ireland cap in the friendly against Jamaica this month.

But McGeady maintains leaving the Premier League champions was never part of his future plans.

McGeady said: "There were never any doubts in that respect. I wouldn't have gone anywhere else.

"I'm settled here and Celtic are the team I grew up supporting. Anyway, I've not even established myself in the first team yet there is still so much for me to achieve here.

"I've gone from the youth team to the first team in a really short space of time but I know I've still got a long way to go.

"Fortunately, four years gives me a bit of security and allows me to just focus on my football. Hopefully, by the end of that time, I'll be an established player but that's something I know I have to work for."

After just eight minutes in the international arena, the latest teenage prodigy on the Parkhead conveyor belt is also targeting a regular game for his country.

"It's strange to be working with all these big stars like Roy Keane and find that they're so down to earth.

"He (Keane) is pretty quiet and didn't say all that much to me but Robbie Keane and a few of the others really made an effort to make me feel part of things.

"The whole thing was amazing. I could never have expected to be making my international debut so soon and it was something I will never forget."

But McGeady is prepared to take his career one step at a time.

He added: "Everything's gone brilliantly for me this year, and this is just the ideal way to keep it going.

The manager's been keen to get it all tied up and I'm just glad to have signed.

"It means I can relax and enjoy my summer now."

"To be honest though, I'm already looking forward to the start of the season. The American tour should be good and it would be great to be involved against teams such as Chelsea, Liverpool and Roma.

"It will be nice to start the season as part of the first-team squad and I'm sure it will help me having signed this new contract."

1MickCollins
15/06/2004, 10:35 PM
Ian Harte, meanwhile, could soon be on his way to Valencia. Claudio Ranieri, the Spanish champions' new manager, is well aware of Harte's ability from his time as Chelsea coach

This is the funniest thing I have heard today, the silly season has begun in earnest, almost as funny as Breen being linked with Inter.

carnstien
16/06/2004, 6:50 PM
This is the funniest thing I have heard today, the silly season has begun in earnest, almost as funny as Breen being linked with Inter.
Ya absolutly ridiculous, Ranieri would never sign Harte for the simple reason that he has seen him play!