PDA

View Full Version : Kerry - Tourist Advice needed.

dcfc_1928
06/05/2011, 11:32 AM
The one county in Ireland that I've never visited is Kerry - I plan to put that right, later in the year.

We're looking at two cottages - one near Ballyheigue in the north of the county & the other near Kenmare.

From a touristy point of view what would be the better location, or is either location OK?

I know that I'm going to be spending most of the holiday driving anyway, but I'd like to save the oul diesel :)

Given that we plan to spend a week there, what are the main "must-sees" in Kerry?

Eminence Grise
06/05/2011, 12:38 PM
Kerry has a heck of a lot going for it. You won’t get it all covered in a week.

Mrs EG hails from Tralee, and that’s the area I know best. It’s close to Ballyheigue, but not as touristy as the rest of the county. There’s the Aqua Dome, which is usually a hit with families. Ashe Memorial Hall is the county museum and well worth a visit for the model Desmond-era town, and almost always has a special exhibition running. There usually something on in Siamsa Tire, the national folk theatre which has exhibitions and shows. Blennerville Windmill outside the town does tours, I think, and is beside the Jeanie Johnston shipyard. Banna Strand and Fenit Strand are close enough as well. There’s also a town park, which is a nice place to spend a half an hour with a 99 if the weather is good. (Two days would get you to most of the “to-do” sights in Tralee, but it's best avoided if you're down during Rose Week).

The Lartigue monorail in Listowel isn’t that far from Ballyheighue, and Listowel is worth a visit too, even if just to pop into the late John B’s bar for a drink. Killarney National Park is good, and the town itself is lively, but quite touristy. I think there are walking trails of the town. The Ring of Kerry, Connor Pass, the Skelligs, Dingle ... there are loads of places to visit.

Enjoy the holliers!

theworm2345
06/05/2011, 2:20 PM
The Lartigue monorail in Listowel isn’t that far from Ballyheighue, and Listowel is worth a visit too, even if just to pop into the late John B’s bar for a drink. Killarney National Park is good, and the town itself is lively, but quite touristy. I think there are walking trails of the town. The Ring of Kerry, Connor Pass, the Skelligs, Dingle ... there are loads of places to visit.

I'd definitely do these two (they're adjacent to one another) and can recommend going on the dolphin viewing tour in Dingle. If you travel west of Dingle to the very tip of the Peninsula to a town called Dunquin, en route there are some prehistoric beehive huts that one can check out. Finally, from Dunquin, I would recommend a day trip to the Blasket Islands where you can spend time on the beach.

strangeirish
06/05/2011, 2:51 PM
The one county in Ireland that I've never visited is Kerry - I plan to put that right, later in the year.

We're looking at two cottages - one near Ballyheigue in the north of the county & the other near Kenmare.

I have a friend that has a real nice cottage just outside Tralee. PM me if you want the details. Don't know how many is in your party, but it sleeps up to eight people.

SkStu
06/05/2011, 3:14 PM
i would recommend a trip out to the Skelligs if you have time and Dingle and Killarney are lovely towns to just relax and unwind in. Also surfed off Valencia Island. Lovely spot.

Probably should move this to the travel forum though for more responses!

dahamsta
06/05/2011, 3:16 PM
If you're interested in history/architecture, you can't go to Kerry without visiting Mucross House and Ross Castle.

dcfc_1928
06/05/2011, 4:13 PM
Cheers for all of the responses - I forgot that there was a Travel Forum, so thanks for moving it..... :)

stann
07/05/2011, 8:56 AM
Did a spin round much of the Dingle peninsula for a couple of days a good few years back, just this area is worth at least a weekend in itself.
Inch Strand is a beautiful long beach from what I remember, and of course Dingle itself is a lovely town, and a great base.
The drive out around Slea Head is truly spectacular, as is the Connor Pass over the top, scarily so.
Nice spots where Ryan's Daughter was filmed, drive down to Coumeenoole beach, or walk upon the remains of the village constructed up on Clogher Head which was shamefully demolished. The concrete was still there beneath the gorse last time.
Gallarus Oratory is worth a look, an underwhelmingly small building at first sight, but seriously old, possibly 6th century, and beautifully intact.
There's a museum now in Ballyferriter too, I believe, with local pre-historic finds on display.
And actually, Smerwick Harbour is also a lovely spot, plenty of history there, and with the spectacular Sybil Head nearby.
If you like getting riled up by history you can, ahem, "pay a visit" to Peig Sayers' grave, if so inclined, or the pre-historic ring fort on the west side of Smerwick harbour where the Dun an Oir massacre took place in 1580.
And all this is before even a mention of the Blaskets. Or dolphins. :D

dcfc_1928
26/08/2011, 12:32 PM
Revisiting this thread, as I'm off to Kenmare next weekend and I need directions! :)

I'll be driving down from Belfast(M1 to M50) then out to Portlaoise - and it's from here that I need help.

Looking at the map, I can't tell whether it would be better going via Limerick (M7) or via Cork city (M8)? Or even via Mallow/Killarney?

I'll be leaving Belfast at 7am on the Saturday morning, so hopefully traffic won't be too much of an issue either way?

culloty82
26/08/2011, 2:02 PM
Wouldn't go through Cork anyway, the Mallow road is fairly good quality, so probably best to go that way, you'll avoid getting confused on the Limerick bypasses.