PDA

View Full Version : Paddy's Cross

liam88
14/06/2004, 6:49 PM
What do you guys think of it? I mean it was invented by Brits, was never the Flag of Ireland of St. Patrick himself but features heavily on the Cork flag...
Is it acceptable to bring to a footie match, put on your roof etc.?

Pat O' Banton
14/06/2004, 8:56 PM
Seen it being paraded around the Clones pitch last w/end at the Fermanagh v Tyrone game, I think the Enniskillen school St Michaels has it as their symbol. Didn't actually know that it was a British invention, actually I wonder if the GAA know :eek:

Plastic Paddy
14/06/2004, 9:12 PM
I'll not bother cutting-and-pasting this excellent exploration of the history of the St. Patrick's Cross, but rather will leave the credit to those who have put in the hard work. It's well worth a read.

http://www.doyle.com.au/st_pats_flag.htm

:) PP

liam88
14/06/2004, 9:24 PM
Aye well done PP it is well worth reading,
found this on a very good site about symbols and flags in Ireland predominantley North of the border,

Even on St. Patrick's day, this flag is not widely flown by Irish people who, for the most part, do not recognise it as their own. It is seen as a British symbol, and is used by regiments of the British Army. [Additional note: The flag was first designed by British authorities in Dublin Castle in the 17th century as a counterpart to St. George's Cross.]

Another quick question while we're at it..... the Red Cross on the Nord Iron flag-some say it's St. Georges cross, some say it is the cross ferom the Ulster flag, which if I'm correct has nothing to do with St. Georges cross?

Plastic Paddy
14/06/2004, 9:28 PM
Google is my friend. :)

http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/images/symbols/flags.htm

:) PP

liam88
14/06/2004, 9:40 PM
Interesting how the REd hand in used by both sides

brendy_éire
14/06/2004, 11:26 PM
Interesting how the REd hand in used by both sides

The red hand is a symbol of Ulster, always has been.
The name 'Ulster', the red hand and even Cúchulaínn have just been hijacked by loyalists. Not that we let them stop us using them.

Some nutcases say the red hand has something to do with the Bible and the Protestants of Ulster being the lost tribe of Israel. :rolleyes: Pile of balls though.