PDA

View Full Version : Friendly against Italy in June

Edgar
02/05/2011, 8:02 AM
http://www.calciosport24.it/2011/04/29/nazionale-figc-lavora-per-amichevoli-con-irlanda-e-giappone/

Most likely on June 7. Location unknown yet.

Serb
02/05/2011, 10:48 AM
Seems very close to the Macedonia game. Also, if this is correct, we're going to have 4 full international matches in 13 days. I'd say we're likely to see second string teams against Northern Ireland and Scotland and the big guns for Macedonia and Italy.

TrapAPony
03/05/2011, 2:10 AM
Brussels likely to host Ireland and Italy

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/brussels-likely-to-host-ireland-and-italy-153281.html

tetsujin1979
03/05/2011, 8:39 AM
Could be in Italy, according to the Independent: http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/trapattoni-eyeing-friendly-clash-with-azzurri-2635306.html

Deckydee
03/05/2011, 11:10 AM
Please God let it be in Brussels!!!!!!!!!!!

IsMiseSean
03/05/2011, 1:14 PM
Please God let it be in Brussels!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully, I've never been. This could be just the excuse....

BonnieShels
03/05/2011, 2:46 PM
It's a great town.

frog-gufc
16/05/2011, 10:34 AM
any more news
on this game???

AlaskaFox
16/05/2011, 2:18 PM
Liege, Belgium - Tuesday, June 7th.
Kickoff 20.45 CET.

frog-gufc
16/05/2011, 2:26 PM
its confirmed so?? brussels would have been so much easier to go to

IsMiseSean
16/05/2011, 2:50 PM
its confirmed so?? brussels would have been so much easier to go to

Charleroi and Eindhoven are just over an hour away. Swineair fly to both from Dublin.

SwanVsDalton
16/05/2011, 2:56 PM
No direct bus from Tallaght? Hmmmfph.

theworm2345
16/05/2011, 3:09 PM
I think I remember the last Italy friendly (August '05 maybe?) being a fairly tepid affair with us losing 2-1 and Andy Reid scoring...hopefully this one is little more exciting.

jbyrne
16/05/2011, 3:15 PM
I think I remember the last Italy friendly (August '05 maybe?) being a fairly tepid affair with us losing 2-1 and Andy Reid scoring...hopefully this one is little more exciting.

my memory is that the Italians were superb that day. so much so that I backed them for the following years wc on the back of their performance.

i have to ask why on earth we are playing this match given that we already have 3 matches over the next few weeks after a long season?

tetsujin1979
16/05/2011, 3:21 PM
Was at the game, on the north stand in Lansdowne with my mate and his new Italian GF

Clinton Morrison had a last minute equaliser disallowed for backing into the defender IIRC?

SwanVsDalton
16/05/2011, 3:29 PM
my memory is that the Italians were superb that day. so much so that I backed them for the following years wc on the back of their performance.

i have to ask why on earth we are playing this match given that we already have 3 matches over the next few weeks after a long season?

We've a lot of potential options in and around the squad who have very little experience, so be good to get them some game time. I'd agree with you if it was anything more than a scratch team, but I expect it'll be a lot of newer, inexperienced faces with a few others who could use the game time. And I always like playing Italy...:D

theworm2345
16/05/2011, 3:42 PM
Was at the game, on the north stand in Lansdowne with my mate and his new Italian GF

Clinton Morrison had a last minute equaliser disallowed for backing into the defender IIRC?
Sounds familiar though I can't say for sure

Real ale Madrid
16/05/2011, 6:09 PM
Absolutely delighted with this news - Just 1hr 20 mins away from me here in Belgium, big buzz around the office today when the news officially broke, hopefully a lot of Irish around here will get down. Never been to Liege though. Anyone familiar?

BonnieShels
16/05/2011, 6:40 PM
Absolutely delighted with this news - Just 1hr 20 mins away from me here in Belgium, big buzz around the office today when the news officially broke, hopefully a lot of Irish around here will get down. Never been to Liege though. Anyone familiar?

I only have the experience of Brussels and Hasselt. Shame it's so early in the summer cos I'm going on a Euro roadtrip in August.

Remember watching the last friendly in Rathcoole. What a pain that was. Italy were brilliant that day.

gspain
16/05/2011, 7:48 PM
Nice good old fashioned football stadium. Close to the pitch and a good atmosphere. Not in the greatest part of town though.

Anybody found a way back to Charleroi airport by public transport in time for the Ryanair flight the following morning? Last trains seems to leave Liege shortly after the final whistle.

geysir
16/05/2011, 7:48 PM
At least it's not in Bruges.

BonnieShels
16/05/2011, 8:30 PM
Nice good old fashioned football stadium. Close to the pitch and a good atmosphere. Not in the greatest part of town though.

Anybody found a way back to Charleroi airport by public transport in time for the Ryanair flight the following morning? Last trains seems to leave Liege shortly after the final whistle.

Who do we know who's good at sorting out the fans with trains...?

http://irishmediawatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/John-Delaney.jpg

Irish_Praha
17/05/2011, 8:19 AM

It's onlt about 1.5 hours away from where I live in Germany. Nice city with a going out area in the middle of the city not unlike Temple Bar; lots of narrow streets with hidden bars and restaurants.
Will make for an interesting night out with thousands of Irish fans packed in there. Shame it's on a Tuesday night as I have to work the next day and I have no hope of getting any time off because I have the following two weeks off.

elroy
17/05/2011, 8:28 AM
Can someone explain to me the reason this is on in Belgium? I hear its because the commercial group who have the agency rights for the game but surely attendance at the game would be greater if played in Ireland or Italy?

Cuyahoga
17/05/2011, 9:58 AM
' thousands of irish fans' a few hundred more likely !

Irish_Praha
17/05/2011, 10:35 AM
' thousands of irish fans' a few hundred more likely !

With it being a meaningless friendly, very close to an away qualifier, on a Tuesday night and in a relatively unknown city you could be right. I wonder myself a bit about the sense and value of the game.
However it is within a 3 hours drive of a lot of big German/Dutch and of course Belgian cities with relatively large ex-pat communities. So I would expect in the region of 5000 Irish fans or am I being deluded?

Real ale Madrid
17/05/2011, 12:44 PM
There was about 4,500 at the Georgia game in Mainz - 99% of that crowd were Irish, I'd be amazed if there were more Irish than that, at it. Its a bizarre location - no doubt about it.

gspain
17/05/2011, 12:55 PM
I can't see us bringing more than a couple of hundred fans.

I've rented a car now - on the Ryanair flight to Charleroi on the Tuesday morning back wednesday morning.

Anybody want a lift on a cost sharing basis?

Charlie Darwin
17/05/2011, 10:28 PM
There was about 4,500 at the Georgia game in Mainz - 99% of that crowd were Irish, I'd be amazed if there were more Irish than that, at it. Its a bizarre location - no doubt about it.
Belgium probably the best location they could have found outside of the UK and Ireland in terms of proximity to ex-pats and affordability. Not sure about Liege thogh - presumably because it's close to Ryanair? Though I'm still not entirely sure why they restricted themselves to locations outside the two islands.

ArdeeBhoy
18/05/2011, 1:06 AM
Can someone explain to me the reason this is on in Belgium? I hear its because the commercial group who have the agency rights for the game but surely attendance at the game would be greater if played in Ireland or Italy?
Hopefully this will explain. All for friendlies, besides the 'glamour' ones at home, being played away from Ireland as they're generally terrible in Dublin.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/liege-is-536miles-from-dublin-and-687miles-from-rome-so-why-are-ireland-playing-italy-there-on-june-7-2648546.html

Can't see more than 500 or so going, but that's not the point.