PDA

View Full Version : C'mon lads - don't be so anti-English

ramondo
13/06/2004, 10:12 PM
Okay, I've lived here a few years and I've gotten over the cheering whoever's playing England thing, but to see so many people gloating over what was, when you look at it, a very lucky France victory makes me....

Erm, actually, I can't help it.... IT WAS FECKIN BRILLIANT!!!

Hee hee, I danced and laughed. England do it every time, the big build up, anticipation, 'we can do it this time' attitude and then - QUEL DESASTRE

I just hope my car survives tonight, I can hear the commotion on the street already.

lopez
13/06/2004, 10:41 PM
Make sure, like me, you've taken the Red/Yellow/Red inside hermano! :D

ramondo
13/06/2004, 11:50 PM
Ah, so it must have been you driving around Holloway Road with the Spanish flag flying from you car when they beat the Irish on penalties in 2002. I was outside The Quay (used to be the Half Moon, then Burke's) saying "would yeah look at that feckin' eejit!"

Actually, my car has had a 'Come On England!' sticker on the back window from the last world cup. It was there when I bought it. Have to remember to get rid of it before collecting the owl fellah from Stansted next week. There again, I might leave it there to wind him up, tell him I support England now, heh heh...

lopez
14/06/2004, 8:26 AM
Ah, so it must have been you driving around Holloway Road with the Spanish flag flying from you car when they beat the Irish on penalties in 2002. I was outside The Quay (used to be the Half Moon, then Burke's) saying "would yeah look at that feckin' eejit!"Not guilty! Did he have an ice-cream in his other hand? If so I think that was foot.ie poster Duncan Gardner. I was in Korea that night wearing green and most definitely not in the mood to go celebrating. However being half and half, it would have been a downer whatever the result that night although I wouldn't have been surrounded by such miserable faces.

Actually, my car has had a 'Come On England!' sticker on the back window from the last world cup. It was there when I bought it. Have to remember to get rid of it before collecting the owl fellah from Stansted next week. There again, I might leave it there to wind him up, tell him I support England now, heh heh...My Brother - in - law sneaked into my car during Euro 2000 and put a tan sticker in the back. I wasn't driving round for long before I spotted it and dispatched it to the khasi. Don't want the neighbours thinking I'm an England supporter do I? :D

sylvo
14/06/2004, 8:42 AM
[QUOTE=ramondo]Ah, so it must have been you driving around Holloway Road with the Spanish flag flying from you car when they beat the Irish on penalties in 2002. I was outside The Quay (used to be the Half Moon, then Burke's) saying "would yeah look at that feckin' eejit!"

I can back up Lopez's were'nt there, he and meself would have been busy helping out Korean railway's by doing the platform information on the station tannoy when all the Irish fan's went to get on the wrong train and the poor divil driving the thing started panicking.

lopez
14/06/2004, 8:50 AM
Sylvo, how's the head? Did you come off your doctor enforced drink fast last night and join all the good-natured beer bellies up in Cheshunt for their light-hearted riot? Conchita was saying that she thought Cheshunt was like Chandlers Cross with loads of squires sipping pimms in their mansions. :D So did I to be honest until you gave me a fitting description of the place as something like an English equivelent of New Jersey.

sylvo
14/06/2004, 8:55 AM
It is indeed, i heard they were a bit upset @ closing time up there and tried to trash their own country instead of someone else's, felt a bit like south Armagh round here last night with that helicopter hovering over the place for age's, got to head into tanfield i mean Enfield now, i can't wait. :D :D :D

Plastic Paddy
14/06/2004, 9:13 AM
Conchita was saying that she thought Cheshunt was like Chandlers Cross with loads of squires sipping pimms in their mansions. :D So did I to be honest until you gave me a fitting description of the place as something like an English equivelent of New Jersey.

Ahh, Chandlers Cross. My old stamping (well, gently tiptoeing) ground. ;) Many a good evening was spent quietly outside the Clarendon Arms watching the world go by in their Bentleys...

Cheshunt? I thought that place was just a Tesco's distibution centre. :confused: ;)

:) PP

lopez
14/06/2004, 9:16 AM
It is indeed, i heard they were a bit upset @ closing time up there and tried to trash their own country instead of someone else's. Well something good has come out of UEFA's threat to sling the c*nts out of Europe. It's not like the country couldn't do with some smashing up, especially those Northern towns that seemed to have taken the result badly - Boston? The world would have been better off if the Yanks had dropped the big one over that place instead of Hiroshima! :D

pbn
14/06/2004, 10:12 AM
Afraid England's problem is that they give the premiership and their players too much hype. Yes, Gerrard and Lampard are great players but they are unproven at the real top level. To predict that they could out gun the likes of ZZ and vierra is foolish

Really it doesn't matter if England dont win it because like every other
tournament it will be a case of ""We should have won it!!"""

tetsujin1979
14/06/2004, 10:33 AM
I really was trying to be less partisan last night, wouldn't say I was supporting England, just not supporting France as much as I would usually support the English opposition.

Anyway, just like the English, I only lasted about 90 minutes, when that free kick went in I was ecstatic, serves them right for the "dive-bomber" motions and booing and jeering the French national anthem.

Beckham, Owen, watch Zidane and take notes, he had a bad game by his standards, but when he had to deliver, he did. That is world class.

tiktok
14/06/2004, 10:49 AM
....booing and jeering the French national anthem....

They're not the only set of fans that do it, but it winds me up enough that I chose which side I was on pretty quickly.
I went with the intention of being neutral, didn't last as far as the kick-off.

pete
14/06/2004, 11:10 AM
Great defeat by England yesterday. They can hardly complain about it as had been defnding since got their goal. Set Piece Internationals?

:)

Sheridan
14/06/2004, 11:32 AM
One thing that became clear yesterday was just how sh*t Switzerland (and by extension Brian's Bhoys, whom they beat home and away, remember!) are.

As for England, I won't pretend I didn't cheer when the free-kick went in, or guffaw at the penalty (because the behaviour of their own fans is even more annoying than that of Ireland's supporters; yes, such a thing is possible!), but they'll still reach the quarter finals. In fact, I firmly believe that they'll win the group. France just don't have any ideas. Henry looks knackered. They were only ever going to score from a set-piece.

Dodge
14/06/2004, 11:42 AM
singing "Are you Scotland in disguise?" isn't a bad attempt at humour in fairness

Plastic Paddy
14/06/2004, 11:56 AM
singing "Are you Scotland in disguise?" isn't a bad attempt at humour in fairness

Although, lest they forget, the last time the Anglos faced Scotland they lost 1-0 at home.

Pat O' Banton
14/06/2004, 12:21 PM
I didn't want Ingerland to win but to tell the truth I couldn't cheer either (being in a pub full Ingerland fans didn't help) but also the look on Mrs O' Banton's face almost broke my heart....ahhhhhhhh.
Spend the rest of the evening trying to console her and saying that Ingerland would probably qualify as the Swiss are crap and Croatia didn't seem much better. (do I have to see Father Wishywashy for such heretical behaviour.?!)

lopez
14/06/2004, 12:26 PM
Anyway, just like the English, I only lasted about 90 minutes, when that free kick went in I was ecstatic, serves them right for the "dive-bomber" motions and booing and jeering the French national anthem.And don't forget the flag of the UVF - yep, same UVF responsible for the Loughinisland massacre during our game against Italy ten years ago - in amongst the Libyan crosses (orange thing with Union Jack in the middle). Greatest fans in the world!! :rolleyes: My son told me that he watched on a news report on Sunday when I was at work (claimed it was the Kids' Newsround but didn't think that was on at the weekend) that claimed the only trouble caused so far was by Spanish fans after some footage showed a Spaniard knocking over a chair after a porro too many. What's that they say about the first casualty of war?

lopez
14/06/2004, 12:29 PM
I didn't want Ingerland to win but to tell the truth I couldn't cheer either (being in a pub full Ingerland fans didn't help) but also the look on Mrs O' Banton's face almost broke my heart....ahhhhhhhh.
Spend the rest of the evening trying to console her and saying that Ingerland would probably qualify as the Swiss are crap and Croatia didn't seem much better. (do I have to see Father Wishywashy for such heretical behaviour.?!)You're right about Croatia and Swiss being cr*p but telling you're missus that the tans are going to qualify? How could you build up her hopes like that you disgusting, mysogenist b*stard! :mad:

Pat O' Banton
14/06/2004, 12:45 PM
You're right about Croatia and Swiss being cr*p but telling you're missus that the tans are going to qualify? How could you build up her hopes like that you disgusting, mysogenist b*stard! :mad:

I know, but for a start she was ready to lose the plot with me as she accused me of being secretly happy (she can see straight through me) and I couldn't think of anything else to say, so a stream of drivel came out of my mouth (how unusual!) which may have included the phrase 'Ingerland should still qualify for the next stage' I understand your sentiments comrade :(
However as she is Ingerland fan is it possible to bulid their hopes up any higher than they are ;)

the 12 th man
14/06/2004, 1:13 PM
r. (do I have to see Father Wishywashy for such heretical behaviour.?!)

dear pat o,
your behaviour towards your missus in this instance does not neccessitate a visit to the confessional box as it would seem that you were only trying to cheer her up on the defeat of her home nation :D ,sorry about the laugh but i couldnt help it.

regards fr ww

Plastic Paddy
14/06/2004, 1:15 PM
My son told me that he watched on a news report on Sunday when I was at work (claimed it was the Kids' Newsround but didn't think that was on at the weekend) that claimed the only trouble caused so far was by Spanish fans after some footage showed a Spaniard knocking over a chair after a porro too many. What's that they say about the first casualty of war?

The woman who reports on/presents Newsround from Portugal is my old mate from my university days, Laura Jones. As a proud Welsh woman, and even given her paymasters, she has no sympathy for the Anglos at all. You - and the truth - are safe with her. (FWIW, she's well up on politics in the North. Educated by my good self when we worked together on our student newspaper. But I digress. ;) )

I know, but for a start she was ready to lose the plot with me as she accused me of being secretly happy (she can see straight through me) and I couldn't think of anything else to say

There's no substitute for practice, Pat. Stand in front of the mirror and try the following with the most sincere physog you can muster:

"Yes, the referee was awful. It's a conspiracy by UEFA..."

"How could he think Owen dived? No! Not Michael."

"They've been winding Rooney up all match on purpose. It's not his fault he hit the defender back."

"Bloody Heskey!"

"It's all Sven's fault..."

Honestly, perm any one of the above with a few oohs and aahs at moments of highest tension and she'll think you've gone native. You'll never get any bother again. :D And anyway, what is it your signature says - it takes two to lie? ;)

:D PP

Metrostars
14/06/2004, 1:51 PM
I think it's the English media that gets to me. Check out my new sig.

This comment by Erikson be amusing:

"In last 10 minutes we took over the game. It seems like France ran out of ideas. The last three minutes showed they didn't, but that was my feeling at the end of the game.

brendy_éire
14/06/2004, 2:23 PM
I think it's the English media that gets to me. Check out my new sig.

"Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
"Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute."

Cracker! :D

WeAreRovers
14/06/2004, 2:42 PM
"Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.

Defo the highlight of the evening. Me and my brother had a sweep on when Tyldsley would mention 1966/Rugby World Cup/CL Final 99. He is an unutterable English git. Which is what made it all the more enjoyable when Zizou put them to the sword. :D

KOH

sylvo
14/06/2004, 3:51 PM
Ahh, Chandlers Cross. My old stamping (well, gently tiptoeing) ground. ;) Many a good evening was spent quietly outside the Clarendon Arms watching the world go by in their Bentleys...

Cheshunt? I thought that place was just a Tesco's distibution centre. :confused: ;)

It's a place in shock today PP, they'll be pushing their tesco's trolly's around totally quite, only sound will be the sound of their gold bracelett's clanging and mother's telling their crying children to ''shaart your farkin raaaw'' just been out and about in Enfield, St Alban's Potters bar and Barnet nothing but long sad face's in every place, F**KING BRILLIANT, I LOVE IT. :D :

sylvo
14/06/2004, 4:10 PM
[QUOTE=Pat O' Banton]I know, but for a start she was ready to lose the plot with me as she accused me of being secretly happy.

I'm sure she must have found that out about yer 10 year's ago about everytime they lose ,when mrs O' Banton said to me during the Russia v Spain game ''i suppose you'll be cheering on France tomorrow'' i just said ''I shall be taking an interest in it due to Ireland playing both France and Swizterland'' she belived me ;) I think. Unlike anyone else who asked me which i alway's said ''to fcuking right''. :mad:
How was the Hope and Anchor last night or did yer go to Sven's den instead.
:D

Pat O' Banton
14/06/2004, 4:42 PM
In the Hope, it was fairly banged, however it emptied in record time :D . Don't think that she believed you for one second but I believe that your insincerity was greatly appreciated, (btw you missed Bob in Mrs O' Banton's big Ingerland hat!).

Snr L, your words as the voice of my conscience is appreciated, Fr. WW thanks for going easy on me, and PP your advice is duely noted and being practiced. You will all be invited to our fifieth wedding anniversery :D

liam88
14/06/2004, 6:44 PM
PP tries to convince 15 year old lads to nick the SGC's off cars :D
Just thought I'd throw that one in ;)

Jon'o
14/06/2004, 7:12 PM

who needs convincing?? ;)

its not nicking its adding value to the car!!!!

Plastic Paddy
14/06/2004, 7:58 PM
Just thought I'd throw that one in ;)

I seem to remember suggesting you carry a cigarette lighter and set them on fire when you see them - the flags, that is, not the cars! But then I remembered that, as you're under 16, you'd have no use for such an implement... :D

liam88
14/06/2004, 9:27 PM
I seem to remember suggesting you carry a cigarette lighter and set them on fire when you see them - the flags, that is, not the cars!
Argh! You should have told me before I torched those two out the front ;) Like I was telling you at the time-we make a game of trying to knoock them off with stones as the cars goes past :D

lopez
14/06/2004, 10:22 PM
Ahh, Chandlers Cross. My old stamping (well, gently tiptoeing) ground. ;) Many a good evening was spent quietly outside the Clarendon Arms watching the world go by in their Bentleys.For our readers across the channel it was deemed Britain's plushist postcode. I drive through it only when the M25 is knackered and it must have the record for the longest 30mph stretch for a country lane.

As for Newsround, it definitely ain't that, as it wasn't on Sunday. Don't know what it was on but my son reckons it was just Spanish versus Spanish (have to ask if there was a union jack type flag involved). Anyone seen it? Perhaps revisiting the events between 1936 and 1939.

I think it's the English media that gets to me. Check out my new sig.Brilliant. A classic in the making. Nice to see that English arrogance, unlike their team, travel across the atlantic in great shape.

It's a place in shock today PP, they'll be pushing their tesco's trolly's around totally quite, only sound will be the sound of their gold bracelett's clanging and mother's telling their crying children to ''shaart your farkin raaaw'' just been out and about in Enfield, St Alban's Potters bar and Barnet nothing but long sad face's in every place, F**KING BRILLIANT, I LOVE IT. :D :You is dissing some of my homey county places. Artfordshire is not interested in dis honky sport. It's a hotbed of basketball and breakdancing, man.

[QUOTE=Pat O' Banton]
How was the Hope and Anchor last night...He missed a penalty! :D

I seem to remember suggesting you carry a cigarette lighter and set them on fire when you see them - the flags, that is, not the cars! But then I remembered that, as you're under 16, you'd have no use for such an implement.You missed the bumberclot from Ballyfermot in Charlton before the Jamaica game who neecded no excuse for a cigarette lighter. :D

lopez
14/06/2004, 11:05 PM
Saw it ....a few chairs been thrown by Spanish hombres......don't know if it was against the locals/their plod,or the Ingles,or amongst themselves.....

Looked like a camera crew was just passing.....Just like if a camera crew were passing this site last week when you announced Gipper was going to the great big film studios in the sky. ;)

Beavis
15/06/2004, 8:54 PM

Defo the highlight of the evening. Me and my brother had a sweep on when Tyldsley would mention 1966/Rugby World Cup/CL Final 99. He is an unutterable English git.

KOH

Yet you continue to watch it on an english station when there's perfectly good coverage on RTE (apologies if your not living in Ireland but I'm assuming you are),support irish jobs!

lopez
16/06/2004, 2:56 PM
Yet you continue to watch it on an english station when there's perfectly good coverage on RTE (apologies if your not living in Ireland but I'm assuming you are),support irish jobs!I agree. I watched and will be watching the Spain games on TVE as I can get it on Sky. Makes me feel like I'm back home. ;) However I missed Mac the other day which was a shame.

Sadly RTE has not got its act together and put out an international channel that Irish viewers around the world can watch after pulling the plug on Tara TV. Must be not enough of potential viewers, eh? :rolleyes:

Pat O' Banton
16/06/2004, 5:14 PM
Yet you continue to watch it on an english station when there's perfectly good coverage on RTE (apologies if your not living in Ireland but I'm assuming you are),support irish jobs!

Surely not just a matter of supporting Irish jobs, I mean RTE's coverage must be better than the drivel of Motson, Tyldsley or Davis that we are force fed on this side of the Irish Sea. :mad:

Jon'o
16/06/2004, 6:26 PM
Sadly RTE has not got its act together and put out an international channel that Irish viewers around the world can watch after pulling the plug on Tara TV. Must be not enough of potential viewers, eh? :rolleyes:

i rang Sky a couple of months ago and asked if it would be possible to either add rte or have it re tuned to veiw it.

the clever bloke on the end of the phone smugly said that it was not available nor will it be because there is no demand in the uk :confused:

could'nt quite think of a quick jibe in reply so just hung up...... no demand .... na i love watching this morning!!!

eoinh
16/06/2004, 6:32 PM
Good to see england lose because they are so smug - they do this every championship.

However i view each sport differently - would love to see Jensen Button win a Grand Prix as he seems a decent fellow.

tiktok
16/06/2004, 8:53 PM
i rang Sky a couple of months ago and asked if it would be possible to either add rte or have it re tuned to veiw it.

I may be completely wrong here (for all the exiles) but I remember hearing a story about someone who subscribed to Sky digital in Ireland but took their card and installed it in Britain, and basically received the Irish package (same as Sky UK, but with the four domestic channels)

lopez
16/06/2004, 9:41 PM
I may be completely wrong here (for all the exiles) but I remember hearing a story about someone who subscribed to Sky digital in Ireland but took their card and installed it in Britain, and basically received the Irish package (same as Sky UK, but with the four domestic channels)I believe that's true. Certain pubs in London get RTE that way.

brendy_éire
16/06/2004, 10:45 PM
I may be completely wrong here (for all the exiles) but I remember hearing a story about someone who subscribed to Sky digital in Ireland but took their card and installed it in Britain, and basically received the Irish package (same as Sky UK, but with the four domestic channels)

Yep. Register for Sky with an Irish address. Take it to Britain and ye'll still get everything ye get in Ireland.

tetsujin1979
17/06/2004, 9:41 AM
Yep. Register for Sky with an Irish address. Take it to Britain and ye'll still get everything ye get in Ireland.

Heard of Scots doing something similar to get BBC Scotland in England to watch the SPL