PDA

View Full Version : vs Athlone, 29 April 2011

ped_ped
29/04/2011, 10:32 PM
Okay, 3 - 0 to the Super Blues . . . and again I wasn't there because I haven't been at any this season :bad: 'Til June.

Three questions:

1. Performance?
2. Why was O'Leary subbed off so early?
3. What's the story with Purcell's injury?

Lim till i die
30/04/2011, 1:26 AM
1. Pretty decent against an Athlone side which offered more or less nothing going forward. Like Wexford they came down, set up their stall and said break us down but in fairness tonight we were well able to do so. The early goal helped settled the nerves an awful lot. Some lovely football played but Athlone were very poor.

2. O'Leary actually came on as a first half substitute for Garbhan Broughall who got a knock. Dave had easily his best game of the season fwiw.

3. Just a knock thank god, when I saw him at his knee I feared the worst.

LK37oldskool
30/04/2011, 6:50 AM
Jeffery was brillant last night.If we had a real defensive midfielder who could break up the oppositions play in the middle it would allow Jeffery loads of room to be creative.Still can't see what Scully se's in Broughall.Easily our weakest player.I think Brian McCarthy is turning into find of the season.Super in the air,has lots of pace for a CH and a strong tackler.Agree with LTID that O'Leary had his best game this season when he came on.Lastily i think Scully has got his formation right with the 2 up front.The team recently has looked better balanced.

gspain
30/04/2011, 7:44 AM
In fairness I thought Athlone had a go and indeed were caught for the first goal with too many players forward. Also despite the red card and the injuries they did not "try to kick us off the park" as some other clubs have done.

We played very well and the early goal helped. I didn't think Athlone were much good but they had a go and tried to play football.

The result from Galway was a massive bonus. I was afraid we'd end up 8 points behind Monaghan and possibly 11 after next week. Now if we win we will be ahead of them. Fabio and Whelan out of next week helps. Although Paddy's injury would be a massive blow if he is out for a while. Broughall and O'Leary will also be missed.

Our next 2 games are huge. Monaghan need to be reeled in and Waterford will finish a lot higher than they are now and are still a promotion rival. Eventhough Athlone were ahead of us before last night they will not be anywhere near the shake up. I don't think Longford will last the pace either but then I didn't think Monaghan would last season (or indeed this season at the start) so they'll probably prove me wrong too.

bluewhitearmy
30/04/2011, 11:47 AM
I dont think Broughall has done anything wrong since he went in as holding midfielder he definitely didnt do anything wrong lastnight before coming off.

If we could free Judgey up a bit more he could be excellent having a great start to the season.

Agree that McCarthy has been a very good signing but i think personally id give find of teh season for us to Hynes he has been excellent so far. Great to see O'Leary looking more like he did last year .

Paddy should be grand for next week was just an impact injury very worrying when he started holding his knee but he said its grand.

Need to take something off Monaghan next week a point would be great and Fabio and Whelan will be big losses for them.

LK37oldskool
30/04/2011, 2:09 PM
I dont think Broughall has done anything wrong since he went in as holding midfielder he definitely didnt do anything wrong lastnight before coming off.

While Broughall is a decent tackler his distribution is woeful.The guy can't make a pass.Agree with you on Hynes.No one puts in as much work as him. Whats the story with O'Leary for next week?

ped_ped
30/04/2011, 5:30 PM
2. O'Leary actually came on as a first half substitute for Garbhan Broughall who got a knock. Dave had easily his best game of the season fwiw.

Ah right, Extratime put me off! Good to see him playing well though, showed bags of potential from what I saw last season.

Jofspring
01/05/2011, 4:24 PM
While Broughall is a decent tackler his distribution is woeful.The guy can't make a pass.Agree with you on Hynes.No one puts in as much work as him. Whats the story with O'Leary for next week?

O'Leary should be available for next week. Hopefully his confidence will be up after last week. He looked much more dangerous going forward than in any other match and he got stuck in. Broughall is ok in the middle but we are trying to play defenders as defensive midfielders instead of defensive midfielders as defensive midfielders and this shows when they are actually on the ball. After Friday I'm sickened Tommy Barrett isn't doing that job for us, I thought he did well for Athlone and seems to be doing well for them this season.

da bishop
01/05/2011, 5:28 PM
good performance,once we got the early goal we looked comfortable,thought athlone were shocking tbh,hardly mustered a shot.glad purcell alright,we need big players like him week in week out.

bluewhitearmy
02/05/2011, 12:46 PM
Yep O Leary is available it was just a knock liek Paddy and was taken off to be safe.

Tommy is doing well with Athlone but i wouldnt take the risk with us his knees are gone and he only makes it through games for Athlone because he doesnt train. Pity about his knees as he was laways great for us.

Dont mind the defenders playing in midfield as long as they understand their own limitations with the passing all they have to do is win the ball and make a short pass to the nearest midfielder.

Think the new system is a big improvement Paudie Quinn seems to be benefitting anyway playing way better in behind the 2 strikers.