PDA

View Full Version : Gerry Peyton - remember him?

TiocfaidhArmani
28/04/2011, 4:27 PM
He was the name you would throw at your pals when playing out on the street if someone was crap in goal. Ah, the memories:D

Stuttgart88
28/04/2011, 4:30 PM
Packie's understudy at Euro 88 and Italia 90. Competent no. 2, not that bad at all. Fulham was his club, wasn't it?

Did he have the occasional spell as no. 1 choice under Eoin Hand?

Why the random Gerry Peyton thread?

pineapple stu
28/04/2011, 4:37 PM
Had lots of clubs, didn't he? I remember him as a Bournemouth player. Played in a friendly against the USSR in 1991 (?); kept a clean sheet but was lucky when he kicked the ball against his own defender and it went in, but there'd been an offside already. Went off to coach in Sweden I think? Solid enough keeper I always thought, but then that was back in the day when I thought anyone playing for Ireland was at worst solid by definition. :)

And a wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerry_Peyton).

Crosby87
28/04/2011, 5:01 PM
Any relation to the NBA's Gary "The Glove" Payton?

Fixer82
28/04/2011, 6:28 PM
Peyton was a very good keeper if I remember correctly. Was unlucky not to get more caps other than the odd friendly against Wales here and there. Last i saw was coaching in some decent club in England...Sheffield United? Arsenal? Can't remember

Eminence Grise
28/04/2011, 6:50 PM
33 caps from a career that went through from the '70s to the 90s? There have been very few second-choice keepers who lasted as long, or who won as many caps. He had a bit of a protracted swansong at the end of his career, bouncing around a few top flight clubs, having spent most of his career in the lower divisions. I think it was belated recognition that he was a decent keeper, maybe not quite top level, but a strong enough understudy. If I recall rightly, didn't he keep a clean sheet on his debut as a teenager for Burnley against Liverpool?

I think he's coaching at Arsenal these days. Glad to see he stayed in the game, and in a very decent capacity. Always one of my favourite players for some odd reason.

BonnieShels
28/04/2011, 7:17 PM
It's funny how we do remember him and yet Is say that there's not one kid out there who will treat any of our current understudys the same way.

EastTerracer
28/04/2011, 9:48 PM
He is still the current goalkeeping coach at Arsenal (http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/coaching-staff/gerry-peyton) - he was in the background on Sky when Jens Lehmann signed for Arsenal a few weeks ago. You can frequently see him sitting on the bench at the Emirates (or nearby) - he was in the shot a number of times during the League Cup Final at Wembley recently.

Some might say that goalkeeping coach at Arsenal would not be a mark of great distinction given their recent problems but I think that would be unfair.

BonnieShels
28/04/2011, 11:06 PM
Some might say that goalkeeping coach at Arsenal would not be a mark of great distinction given their recent problems but I think that would be unfair.

In fairness look what Arsene gives him to work with.

pineapple stu
29/04/2011, 8:22 AM
Any relation to the NBA's Gary "The Glove" Payton?
Seeing as how it was pointed out two posts previously that his named is spelled differently, I doubt it.

drummerboy
29/04/2011, 8:25 AM
He was a very decent keeper.

Dodge
29/04/2011, 8:37 AM
I'm fairly ceratin we were the only European country to have only 2 keepers in Italia '90. On the couple of friendly appearances Peyton got around the 88-90 mark I'm not even sure I could guess his back up.

Think I remember reading he was Bournemouth's most capped player too

pineapple stu
29/04/2011, 8:48 AM
I'm fairly ceratin we were the only European country to have only 2 keepers in Italia '90.
Yeah, you're right. Colombia did it too. Niall Quinn was our "third choice" keeper then.

Royal rover
29/04/2011, 8:48 AM
I'm fairly ceratin we were the only European country to have only 2 keepers in Italia '90. On the couple of friendly appearances Peyton got around the 88-90 mark I'm not even sure I could guess his back up.

His back up was either Kelham o'Hanlon or the older brother of Alan Kelly i can't remember his first name

pineapple stu
29/04/2011, 8:49 AM
Gary Kelly was Alan's brother. Think he made the bench once?

Lionel Ritchie
29/04/2011, 9:04 AM

We were also the only country who didn't have a goalkeeping coach -a situation that persisted through USA 94 and was only rectified when Mick came in.

livehead1
29/04/2011, 9:42 AM
anyone remember a lad called Stephen Ireland?

Serb
29/04/2011, 10:34 AM
anyone remember a lad called Stephen Ireland?

Nope :confused:

Dodge
29/04/2011, 11:12 AM
His back up was either Kelham o'Hanlon or the older brother of Alan Kelly i can't remember his first name

Good Shout on Kelham O'Hanlon. 1 cap as far as I remember.

Was gary Kelly ever capped?

(realise I could probably look it up)

Macy
29/04/2011, 11:19 AM
Niall Quinn was our "third choice" keeper then.
Great at penalities....

pineapple stu
29/04/2011, 11:25 AM
Was gary Kelly ever capped?
Nope; just made the bench once. He was also a bit later than Peyton, I think (it was around 95 or so). Keith Branagan was another keeper who made one cap (v Wales), but again, it was a bit later than Peyton.

What was yer man Séamus' surname who was in nets around the same time?

Edit - Séamus McDonagh (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_McDonagh), from 81 to 85. Can't think of too many other keepers from that time alright.

livehead1
29/04/2011, 11:44 AM
McDonagh used to run a pub in Nottingham called the Vale up until a few years ago...

Dodge
29/04/2011, 11:45 AM
LOI Fact; McDonagh later went on to be player manager of Galway. He definitely played against Pats in late 1988 (my first ever away trip)

EastTerracer
29/04/2011, 12:29 PM
Good Shout on Kelham O'Hanlon. 1 cap as far as I remember.

I think Kelham O"Hanlon got his only cap against Israel in the 5-0 win at Dalymount in 1987.

Chris Morris and David Kelly made their debuts that night as well (with a Kelly hat-trick and Quinn's first international goal too). Mark Lawrenson was captain but it turned out to be his last cap before injury forced him to retire. There was only about 9,500 people at the game.

Best of all, it was a Tuesday night, the next day Gary Mackay scored in Bulgaria and following Ireland was never the same again.

geysir
29/04/2011, 12:30 PM
LOI Fact; McDonagh later went on to be player manager of Galway. He definitely played against Pats in late 1988 (my first ever away trip)
Probably the first time Galway FC ever witnessed such a thing as a Pat's away supporter.

RiffRaff
29/04/2011, 1:37 PM
Gerry Peyton had a couple of years as our no 1 at the end of the 70's. At that time we didnt have any goalkeepers playing at a higher standard and in fact for a number of years we only had 4 playing in the UK - Peyton, Mick Kearns (Walsall), Ron Healey (Cardiff reserve goalie) and Paddy Roche (3rd choice at Man U). Surprisingly I cant remember any goalkeeping clangers during the time which is credit to Peyton and Kearns who were our usual keepers.

Dodge
29/04/2011, 2:03 PM
Probably the first time Galway FC ever witnessed such a thing as a Pat's away supporter.

Your attempt at a stab might've worked if you had've at least looked up the name of the Galway club...

geysir
29/04/2011, 2:36 PM
Ah no need to be a sourpuss. The LOI chip syndrome is a complex issue. I could have been busted on a serious apostrophe technicality, not to mention neglecting to write out the full name of Pats fc.

Dodge
29/04/2011, 2:46 PM
Agreed, I'm the one with the chip on my shoulder