PDA

View Full Version : Relegation this Season

Pages : [1] 2 3

PartySaint
27/04/2011, 5:34 PM
It was said on MNS the other night that there is no automatic relegation this season, I was under the impression that the team that finishes last goes down with the team that finishes 9th going into a play-off with the 3rd place team in the first division, Anyone know the story with this?

John83
27/04/2011, 5:40 PM
I have it third hand from a UCD official that 10th will face 3rd in a 1-legged play-off, venue decided by coin toss.

abcd
27/04/2011, 5:51 PM
Why don't they just toss a coin at the start of the season to determine who's relegated, at least then everyone would know where they stand. Absolutely farcical. Having said that being relegated doesn't seem to mean a lot these days anyway. You still have a good chance of staying up when 1 of the premier division teams inevitably folds.

Dunny
27/04/2011, 6:25 PM
Why don't they just toss a coin at the start of the season to determine who's relegated

It's called the licensing system

peadar1987
27/04/2011, 8:30 PM
It's called the licensing system

Ah now, the licensing system is a complex process, and the FAI put a large amount of time and effort into drawing up the criteria in the licensing agreement. Just because the coin toss gets the most publicity doesn't mean we should ignore all the people behind the scenes who made it all possible

A face
27/04/2011, 8:35 PM
Didn't see MNS .... does anyone know the full story? I wasn't aware there was a change this year to be honest. There is obviously a reason for it

Ezeikial
27/04/2011, 9:03 PM
I have it third hand from a UCD official that 10th will face 3rd in a 1-legged play-off, venue decided by coin toss.

Can't be true - the FAI don't do coin toss.

SkStu
27/04/2011, 9:13 PM
Can't be true - the FAI don't do coin toss.

soggy biscuit, apparently.

Mr Maroon
27/04/2011, 9:45 PM
The last placed team in the Premier play a one legged play-off against the the 3rd placed team in the First, at the home of the Premier team. The top 2 in the First come straight up.

pineapple stu
28/04/2011, 8:58 AM
And then Bohs go bust and Bray are saved.

Ezeikial
28/04/2011, 9:35 AM
And then Bohs go bust and Bray are saved.

It can't be that simple. There has to be a few twists and turns for it to be LoI

pineapple stu
28/04/2011, 9:42 AM
I dunno. I'm curious to see how Bray implode from second to last in the remaining three-quarters of the season. And you just know Bohs can't go bust in a straightforward manner.

MagicMon
28/04/2011, 9:54 AM
No automatic relegation and the play-off is decided by chance? That's exactly the same as last season then.

marinobohs
28/04/2011, 10:27 AM
I dunno. I'm curious to see how Bray implode from second to last in the remaining three-quarters of the season. And you just know Bohs can't go bust in a straightforward manner.

As matter of interest Stu how many seasons is this now you have predicted Bohs "going bust" ? Beginning to sound like infatuation. if we were not so sh*** in court I would suggest a restaining order might be soon required.:rolleyes:

Back on topic, Prem expanding by two teams for next season so last place (in Prem) in playoff with 3rd place in first division with top two in first automatically coming up*

* subject to FAI change up to, and indeed post, season end.

John83
28/04/2011, 11:30 AM
As matter of interest Stu how many seasons is this now you have predicted Bohs "going bust" ? Beginning to sound like infatuation. if we were not so sh*** in court I would suggest a restaining order might be soon required.:rolleyes:
Bohs are perfectly capable of re-staining their own reputation, should it ever recover. And Bohs' financial situation has worsened every year he's predicted bankruptcy, so I'd start praying he turns on someone else soon.

marinobohs
28/04/2011, 11:40 AM
Bohs are perfectly capable of re-staining their own reputation, should it ever recover. And Bohs' financial situation has worsened every year he's predicted bankruptcy, so I'd start praying he turns on someone else soon.

..... and yet again John 83 rides to the rescue of Pineapple Stu :o Rreally are you two the same poster or is this the first ever FOOT.IE bromance ?

John83
28/04/2011, 11:52 AM
..... and yet again John 83 rides to the rescue of Pineapple Stu :o Rreally are you two the same poster or is this the first ever FOOT.IE bromance ?
I'm just bored of fans of clubs which are running a deficit in the face of a huge (and probably unmanageable) debt taking offence to Pineapple Stu predicting trouble for them. I don't need to be a friend of his to do that.

PartySaint
28/04/2011, 12:30 PM

Who says they are both dudes??

marinobohs
28/04/2011, 1:44 PM
I'm just bored of fans of clubs which are running a deficit in the face of a huge (and probably unmanageable) debt taking offence to Pineapple Stu predicting trouble for them. I don't need to be a friend of his to do that.

Probobly no more bored than some of us are of him dragging Bohs finances into every thread :rolleyes: seriously looking like a fixation (whether correct or not).
Tomorrow is Friday but dont see the need to repeat it ad nauseum (even less if I wrongly predicted it on Monday, tuesday, Weds :confused: )

marinobohs
28/04/2011, 1:47 PM
Who says they are both dudes??

"john" and "Stu" were the hints PS . But you could have a point so apoligies for my evil sexist presumptions (especially if it affected Ms Stu or Ms 83 in any way) :D:D:D

SkStu
28/04/2011, 2:22 PM

Back on topic, Prem expanding by two teams for next season so last place (in Prem) in playoff with 3rd place in first division with top two in first automatically coming up*

* subject to FAI change up to, and indeed post, season end.

sorry MB - which asterisk in your post were you addressing - im having a little trouble reconciling - like a Bohs financial director, Wahey!

SkStu
28/04/2011, 2:24 PM
And you just know Bohs can't go bust in a straightforward manner.

wheres the fun in that?

We put the "fun" in "fundraiser(s)"!!

Schumi
28/04/2011, 2:33 PM
We put the "fun" in "fundraiser(s)"!!

Just like Pat Fenlon put the "elf" in Belfast when he was with Linfield.

sullanefc
28/04/2011, 5:06 PM

But Fenlon is an anagram for "non elf"????? Or if you were french you could say "Eee iz an 'elf, non?'

SkStu
28/04/2011, 5:07 PM

stop putting the "gee" in geebag.

hmmmm....

;)

Roo69
28/04/2011, 5:29 PM

With teams as bad as Drogheda, Galway and UCD in the League it would be very hard for us to fall from grace that much :D Still though, theres always hope for you ;)

total hoofball
28/04/2011, 5:57 PM
Thanks to how bad Drogheda are this season 3rd place in the First looks like a de-facto automatic promotion spot.

Ezeikial
28/04/2011, 8:38 PM
Thanks to how bad Drogheda are this season 3rd place in the First looks like a de-facto automatic promotion spot.

Would there be some poetic justice if Monaghan beat Drogheda in a play-off?

BonnieShels
02/05/2011, 8:26 PM
Would there be some poetic justice if Monaghan beat Drogheda in a play-off?

It would be delicious. But Rod'll ruin it by coming 4th... or 1st.

White Horse
02/05/2011, 8:53 PM
With teams as bad as Drogheda, Galway and UCD in the League it would be very hard for us to fall from grace that much :D Still though, theres always hope for you ;)

Drogheda are in a league of their own.

Dodge
02/05/2011, 9:40 PM
Dunno, Galway were pretty bad the couple of time Pats played them

Dunny
02/05/2011, 10:43 PM
Drogheda are in a league of their own.

The Meath & District?

bullit
02/05/2011, 11:08 PM
Hold on to this Drawwda !!
Its called a lead :)
http://www.supplierlist.com/photo_images/55788/pet_leash.jpg

Hurt Locker
03/05/2011, 6:20 AM
The last placed team in the Premier play a one legged play-off against the the 3rd placed team in the First, at the home of the Premier team. The top 2 in the First come straight up.
its madness that cork and shels have to suffer the hell of div 1. I even go as far as the cowboys in the fai should invite limerick to the prem as they did with galway.

Dodge
03/05/2011, 7:29 AM
its madness that cork and shels have to suffer the hell of div 1.

No one to blame but themselves...

BonnieShels
03/05/2011, 8:04 AM
And Limerick.

pineapple stu
03/05/2011, 8:04 AM
With teams as bad as [...] UCD in the League
Hey - three wins in a row, closer to Europe than relegation. :) Better than Drogheda, Sligo and...em...Drogheda again.

L.T.F.C.
03/05/2011, 8:13 AM
its madness that cork and shels have to suffer the hell of div 1. I even go as far as the cowboys in the fai should invite limerick to the prem as they did with galway.
Explain.

redobit
03/05/2011, 10:28 AM
Hey - three wins in a row, closer to Europe than relegation. :) Better than Drogheda, Sligo and...em...Drogheda again.

Back up there Tonto. :D

Hurt Locker
09/05/2011, 7:20 AM

do u work 4 the fai?

Eminence Grise
09/05/2011, 8:59 AM
do u work 4 the fai?

He doesn't, afaik. But reading over your matutinal musings today, one could be forgiven for thinking that you live under a bridge and wait for passing billy goats.

micls
09/05/2011, 9:01 AM

I disagree.

I blame Tom Coughlan ;)

Sam_Heggy
09/05/2011, 9:03 AM
Do you work for the FAI?

Soz ad t do dat woz hurtin my i's.

Hurt Locker
09/05/2011, 12:34 PM
He doesn't, afaik. But reading over your matutinal musings today, one could be forgiven for thinking that you live under a bridge and wait for passing billy goats.

Thanks 4 ur input Confucius!!:nerd:;)

legendz
14/05/2011, 9:44 AM
I don't think the relegation system is taking anything away from the Premier this season though the number in relegation or play-off zone is down from 3 to 1. The current top 4, Pat's and Dundalk will be aiming for Europe or a cup anyways. Teams 6th, 7th and 8th should have a chance free of relegation worries to at least gain a solid footing in the Premier and look to build from there. When a relegation system comes in for the 12 team premier, I hope it's only the bottom club to go down with team second bottom in a relegation/promotion play-off.

legendz
01/06/2011, 5:05 PM
It's been an exciting start to the season so far with only 6 points separating 1st and 7th. With only 10 clubs, it's not a bad thing that only the bottom 1 or 2 are facing a relegation worry. The top 7 or 8 clubs should be able to have a cushion from the relegation places. It gives some team a position to build and it's better that they are not looking over their shoulder. When the division becomes 12, I hopes it's only the bottom club going down with second bottom involved in a play-off.

passerrby
01/06/2011, 5:53 PM
ya legendz thats just what we need is a season where a team can go all year without winning a match and still stay up

peadar1987
01/06/2011, 8:29 PM
ya legendz thats just what we need is a season where a team can go all year without winning a match and still stay up

That's every season already.

legendz
01/06/2011, 8:34 PM

That's every season already.

lol

It somes up most recent seasons alright!

eamo1
02/06/2011, 1:34 PM
So Galway Utd could lose every game between now and the end of the season(a real possibility),finish rock bottom of the league way behind everyone else with lowest points total ever and yet still only need to win a one leg playoff game to stay up??Only in the LOI:).