PDA

View Full Version : LoI live on TV

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

legendz
25/04/2011, 7:10 PM
I know all clubs deserve a chance for a live game but I'm a bit surprised by RTE's choice for next weekend. In terms of showcasing the league, I'd much prefer to be watching Boh's and Derry. While Shamrock Rovers are champions, Galway have hardly being setting the league alight.

placid casual
25/04/2011, 8:52 PM
Bohs have been on the last 2 live games and there's only so much the RTE viewers can take of watchin bohs motley crew of glass collectors, Rovers castoffs and bandy-leg brennan.
the viewers of the game on friday will be freed from desire, for 1 week anyway.

Dunny
25/04/2011, 9:16 PM
I think this weeks game is the last on RTE for a while.

peadar1987
25/04/2011, 10:01 PM
I don't think Bray have been on since the playoff against Fingal the season before last. I know the Carlisle doesn't really lend itself to TV, but surely the law of averages dicate we get an away game shown every now and again!

TheBoss
25/04/2011, 10:48 PM
I don't think Bray have been on since the playoff against Fingal the season before last. I know the Carlisle doesn't really lend itself to TV, but surely the law of averages dicate we get an away game shown every now and again!

You don't remember a certain game that made Shamrock Rovers champions on the last day last season ?

Charlie Darwin
25/04/2011, 10:50 PM
I think this weeks game is the last on RTE for a while.
Yep, it's switching to Setanta then. I don't really understand it - the Magners League finishes up around the same time, so RTE is going from bumping rugger games to make way for soccer to showing no sport at all on Fridays. The whole split between RTE and Setanta is clumsy in general.

peadar1987
25/04/2011, 11:46 PM
You don't remember a certain game that made Shamrock Rovers champions on the last day last season ?

Oh right, the one that sold out before I could get tickets, and that I actually watched on the TV. :doh:

galwayhoop
26/04/2011, 6:41 AM
Was the monaghan V Bray play-off fixture (both legs) not also televised? Nearly sure I saw the wall falling in real time???? (Of course I am getting older and it could be a figment of my imagination too).

Hurt Locker
26/04/2011, 6:53 AM
Galway seem to get more than their share, TG4 been based in Galway something to do with it? Look forward to seeing rovers and what kind of yard stick their setting this year. The picture quality of MNS on my new samsung TV is superb, crystal clear!

WoodquayBoy
26/04/2011, 8:40 AM
Absolute barmy decision to televise this - now EVERYONE will see how bad we are. Still, should be plenty of goals ;-)

gufct
26/04/2011, 9:23 AM
Games are selected at the start of the league by RTE. They got lucky with our games last year especially the Bohs game which was a humdinger.

Red Army
26/04/2011, 9:42 AM
Don't think any game should be shown on tv better of having a preview show every Thursday and a proper highlights show on Monday compared to that rubbish mns.

peadar1987
26/04/2011, 10:24 AM
Don't think any game should be shown on tv better of having a preview show every Thursday and a proper highlights show on Monday compared to that rubbish mns.

What would make MNS less rubbish, but not break the bank? The only thing I can think of really is getting rid of some of the gimmicky Soccer AM stuff, and a little more analysis.

pineapple stu
26/04/2011, 10:31 AM
What would make MNS less rubbish, but not break the bank? The only thing I can think of really is getting rid of some of the gimmicky Soccer AM stuff, and a little more analysis.
Show more highlights?

We didn't feature at all last season, despite winning lots of praise for our style of play. We've obviously got similar "TV problems" as yerselves.

WoodquayBoy
26/04/2011, 10:56 AM
We didn't feature at all last season, despite winning lots of praise for our style of play. We've obviously got similar "TV problems" as yerselves.
Move to Galway so, we have TG4 'looking after us'. Ye could be called UCDDG

pineapple stu
26/04/2011, 11:02 AM
Or just UCG for short.

Anyways, we'll leave the Atlantic wind, rain and flooding to yourselves, thanks!

marinobohs
26/04/2011, 12:11 PM
Bohs have been on the last 2 live games and there's only so much the RTE viewers can take of watchin bohs motley crew of glass collectors, Rovers castoffs and bandy-leg brennan.
the viewers of the game on friday will be freed from desire, for 1 week anyway.

Boo, Hoo Bohs have been on for the last two weeks and its not fair :(. Must be time for another letter to the FAI. Probobly only so much RTE viewers can take of pitch invasions, shape throwing and fireworks from the bandwagon brigade from tallaght.

Back in the real world, wasn't there a commitment that every team would be covered live ? Would it not be a good idea if such a commitment was got to visit every ground at some point ? (obviously this escludes the first division which RTE appear to believe exists in myth only).

Charlie Darwin
26/04/2011, 1:27 PM
Do you think some teams ask not to be covered live at home? I think clubs with small support in particular would be a bit wary of the staying home effect whereas bigger clubs are better placed to use live games as a marketing tool, even if it affects attendances on the day.

marinobohs
26/04/2011, 2:25 PM
Do you think some teams ask not to be covered live at home? I think clubs with small support in particular would be a bit wary of the staying home effect whereas bigger clubs are better placed to use live games as a marketing tool, even if it affects attendances on the day.

Not aware of any club asking not to be covered at home and would suggest most/all clubs would jump at the chance. I think it would be better (if possible) to get a commitment from RTE etc to cover all grounds not just all teams (as this can lead to Shams/Bohs V various other clubs). Doubt the impact on attendances is a major concern for any club as novelty of TV cameras could be a draw at some grounds.

WoodquayBoy
26/04/2011, 2:26 PM
The UCDD part was in recognition of your crest - UCD Dublin

pineapple stu
26/04/2011, 2:30 PM
Yeah, I got that! I was just pointing out that there's a perfectly good sister facility ready to accommodate us over there. Could have four league teams in Galway. :)

WoodquayBoy
26/04/2011, 2:39 PM
Not aware of any club asking not to be covered at home and would suggest most/all clubs would jump at the chance.
Not the case out our way - the fact the game is on TV will have a big impact on our gate, and seen as RTE no longer pay clubs when they broadcast games, that is a hit we can't afford to take. Would imagine some Rovers fans who were in two minds about travelling on Friday will now give it a miss because it is on the moving picture box, and the same for some of our own 'noseys' for want of a better word - people who might have considered going only because the league champions were in town, but won't bother now

WoodquayBoy
26/04/2011, 2:41 PM
Yeah, I got that! I was just pointing out that there's a perfectly good sister facility ready to accommodate us over there. Could have four league teams in Galway. :)
Yeah, sorry. Anyway, we have enough with 2 minnow teams in our backyard, don't need a third thanks! There might be a sister institute over here, but the facilities are not a patch on your own, so between that and the fact it might be too cold and yet for ye (poor dahlings!) over here, ye might as well stay put ;-)

marinobohs
26/04/2011, 3:04 PM
Not the case out our way - the fact the game is on TV will have a big impact on our gate, and seen as RTE no longer pay clubs when they broadcast games, that is a hit we can't afford to take. Would imagine some Rovers fans who were in two minds about travelling on Friday will now give it a miss because it is on the moving picture box, and the same for some of our own 'noseys' for want of a better word - people who might have considered going only because the league champions were in town, but won't bother now

fair enough WQB, trust Galway to be different :p would have thought that game been televised on friday would have positive effect on gates but accept it may not be the case out west. Would TV exposure have any positive impact on future gates ?
Would this be a fair reflection among LOI clubs ? Dont think presence of television has major impact on crowds at Dalymount (although does lead to some spending most of the game in the bar)

El-Pietro
26/04/2011, 4:59 PM
I remember Brian Lennox commenting on that back when he was chairman of City. Definitely had a negative impact on our gates. worse if it rained

Dodge
26/04/2011, 5:40 PM
What's the argument for live coverage helping a gate?

oriel
26/04/2011, 6:03 PM
Are clubs seriously not getting paid for this anymore? Apart from exposure, what is in it for the league clubs if this is the case.

mypost
26/04/2011, 7:21 PM

Was watching that Barclays League Preview there lately on Sky. Half an hour of non-stop goals, action, features, and delivers what the average viewer wants. I know it's a Preview show, but it's glossy, snappy, hits the target, and is well put together. It could work well on RTE, if they didn't focus so much on trying to copy MOTD2 for their content. Badly.

maksimir
26/04/2011, 8:21 PM
I remember Brian Lennox commenting on that back when he was chairman of City. Definitely had a negative impact on our gates. worse if it rained

El-Pietro, I've only started following City since I moved to the area pretty recently and what I'm about to say may be relevant to other clubs who suffer gate fall-offs when RTE turn up, but fans who stay away because a game is on TV can be fairly judged as fickle I'd say - no insult to them intended. Now fickle people surely can be turned back the other way by incentives on TV nights. Maybe bring a mate for free? That mate then buys a programme, a burger, a drink, does the lotto, or god forbid gets hooked and buys a season ticket one day. Bad crowds don't really affect City as we currently average about 2,000 and offer a great evening out but clubs need to be on their feet marketing wise and always be new/different with little incentives.

I'm ashamed to say I was unaware RTE pay nothing for broadcasting individual games (if this is correct), but clubs surely receive a share of a seasonal deal?

legendz
26/04/2011, 10:00 PM
Friday, 21 December 2007 12:54

RTÉ Sport’s commitment to the League of Ireland will dramatically increase. From next season (2008), RTÉ Television will broadcast a weekly one-hour highlights programme featuring reports and analysis of that week’s action in the eircom League of Ireland. RTÉ Television’s coverage of live eircom League of Ireland matches will also grow over the term of the contract, culminating with 33 live matches (one-per-week) in the final year of the term – the 2013 season.

I haven't heard any word in a while on this agreement regards the amount of games RTE are showing. When will the live games return to RTE after this weekend?

Charlie Darwin
26/04/2011, 10:36 PM
End of the summer I think. Same arrangement with Setanta happened last year if I remember correctly?

WoodquayBoy
26/04/2011, 10:44 PM
Are clubs seriously not getting paid for this anymore? Apart from exposure, what is in it for the league clubs if this is the case.
That's what I've been told by someone at United, I'm sure others here closely linked with their clubs can verify

BonnieShels
26/04/2011, 11:44 PM
Same crap as last year then in this case. Show games regularly and then bam. Nothing on a Friday night. People get into routines and I know of some people, and I know we all do, who watch any game that's on the box. now if they were to get into that habit of a a Friday and watch all of the matches surely there comes a point where they realise that they could just head along to a game that's local. If possible. I know that say if we're playing way way away on a Friday and knowing full well that I ain't going to be making it to the game I would rather be in with the dulcet tones of Con and the lads watching a game rather than not.

People are creatures of habit and the more sensible the showing of games are the more likely it will start to help not hinder the games and attendances one day. Keep proceeding with this bull that we have at present where the live games stop suddenly on RTÉ then you are losing out on an audience.

mypost
27/04/2011, 5:33 PM
I won't miss RTE's coverage tbh. The coverage of live games is a joke, and the persistence with showing two-minute game highlights 3 days after they are played is an insult to every fan in the league.

legendz
27/04/2011, 9:18 PM
Yeah in fairness Monday highlights are a joke. Sunday League for the GAA is at a perfect time. Could they not just record it on a Saturday afternoon. Screen it late on a Saturday evening and repeat it some time on Sunday.

Charlie Darwin
27/04/2011, 9:52 PM
As far as I know, the league/clubs specifically asked for Monday evening. It's hard to argue with prime time, to be honest. Much better deal than the Football League Show gets on BBC.

mypost
27/04/2011, 10:38 PM
The BBC show every Saturday league game played in England, on a Saturday. Sky show highlights of games below the EPL at all sorts of times, including their same night prime time news bulletins.

Dare there be a midweek game, and it's 6-7 days before RTE bother showing highlights of it, if at all. By then, the world has moved on, and the effects of that result may be, and have been, meaningless.

Our situation is akin to "The Sunday Game" being shown on a Wednesday night. The GAA wouldn't stand for that nonsense. Neither should we.

Charlie Darwin
27/04/2011, 10:44 PM
Except the GAA has bargaining power and we don't.

mypost
28/04/2011, 6:07 AM
Not a good enough excuse. If the will was there, it would be done. You don't wait to see Ireland game coverage 3 days after the team plays, you don't see "The Premiership" shown on a Tuesday. Yet, we're expected to settle for what we have.

As for live coverage, it's the bare minimum.

7.30: Show begins
7.35: Game starts
9.25: Game ends
9.30: Gone. See you Monday.

(if you're not playing that night)

Dodge
28/04/2011, 6:55 AM
Personally think Monday @ 7 suits more LOI fans than a late night Friday programme.

Considering RTE resources its just not feasible for games to finish at 9.30 and have all footage edited (without OB units) and on screen that night. Sunday afternoon to Sunday evening for the GAA is completely different

mypost
28/04/2011, 7:57 AM
RTE have the most resources in the country. When they show their CL games, they have highlights of all 4-8 games on their given CL night (and the night before), within an hour of the final whistle. Some highlights of games from Greece and Russia are longer than LOI game highlights. So the resources are there to put them on air, they're just not used.

RTE don't have 100% of the LOI tv market either. If they can't be bothered to provide the coverage quality the LOI licence-payer deserves, then other broadcasters should step in to fill the gap.

pineapple stu
28/04/2011, 8:29 AM
That's because they buy the highlights of the other games, which are relatively cheaply available because UEFA are selling them to every country in Europe (and many outside of Europe).

With the LoI, RTÉ have to do all the work themselves, which costs much more. It's simple economies of scale.

You're right on the LoI TV market though - RTÉ don't have a 100% share. Other broadcasters could step in and fill the gap. But they're not. What does that tell you?

marinobohs
28/04/2011, 10:39 AM
Personally think Monday @ 7 suits more LOI fans than a late night Friday programme.

Considering RTE resources its just not feasible for games to finish at 9.30 and have all footage edited (without OB units) and on screen that night. Sunday afternoon to Sunday evening for the GAA is completely different

Yea, Monday at 7PM is actually a great slot for MNS. Late night slots tend to miss the younger viewers so 7 PM is far better time slot. In terms of editing and putting together the show, Monday is probobly the earliest it could be done (all the non footie dross takes time), the limited camera footage also makes editing a bit more difficult. Most bogball games covered are at big reasonably well equiped stadia (Croker, Semple etc) which facilitate better coverage. Bogball games at smaller grounds tend to have similar crap filming we all know and love.
Nothing wrong with present time slot and until grounds/RTE improve filming facilities we are stuck with show fllers like "fan zone"

legendz
28/04/2011, 5:17 PM
Has anyone a link for the updated pdf of fixtures sent out before the start of the season?

total hoofball
28/04/2011, 6:04 PM
Has anyone a link for the updated pdf of fixtures sent out before the start of the season?

No pdf ever surfaced on the airtricity league site which has gone down the tubes this season. If you do search of this forum you'll probably find a copy/paste job posted somewhere

mypost
28/04/2011, 7:29 PM
That's because they buy the highlights of the other games, which are relatively cheaply available because UEFA are selling them to every country in Europe (and many outside of Europe).

With the LoI, RTÉ have to do all the work themselves, which costs much more. It's simple economies of scale.

They show them because they're contracted to, despite the audience only interested in a handful of teams.

Here, there are fans of all the senior clubs, yet 12 of them are ignored every week, in favour of "Good, Bad, Ugly", "Sixty", International P/Reviews, and so forth. It's not a costs issue, RTE have the biggest media resources in the country, and are the state broadcaster. The money could be found and spent if there was the will to do so. But there isn't.

The BBC may show their league highlights at the time they do, but that's when their viewers want it shown*, and at least every game that day is covered, as it should be.

*When ITV moved it to an earlier slot, viewing figures slumped.

Charlie Darwin
28/04/2011, 7:33 PM
Who are you arguing with though? Nobody's suggesting the will is there to improve the coverage. The league have a decent slot on a Monday evening and that seems to suit just about everybody.

ger121
28/04/2011, 10:05 PM
Anyone an idea of the viewing figures last season or this year. I know they weren't great at the start of the show but wondering if the move to 7pm & the fact MNS has been on a few years, might have helped boost viewership.

mypost
29/04/2011, 6:36 PM
The Presenters are not even at the ground tonight.

BonnieShels
29/04/2011, 7:33 PM
Tony O'Donoghue is. Everytime Ireland play away Bill and the lads stay at home; Bill and the lads stayed at home for every CL game too. Con/Darragh and the other lads go to games when feasible. I presume he's doing Saturday Sport tomorrow so needs be in Dublin.