PDA

View Full Version : Harps management team depart.

Pages : [1] 2

Finlay Harp
23/04/2011, 10:15 AM
No surprise really.
http://www.finnharps.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=552:harps-boss-james-gallagher-depart-club&catid=39:news-from-finn-park&Itemid=101

TenaciousDee
23/04/2011, 10:50 AM
It will be hard to find a manager to get you going again. There are very few managers around of great quality that would be willing to manage a club like Harps with a nothing budget and a small squad hit with a lengthy injury list. Unless you can convince Higgsy to come back.

fbtn
23/04/2011, 11:20 AM
It will be hard to find a manager to get you going again. There are very few managers around of great quality that would be willing to manage a club like Harps with a nothing budget and a small squad hit with a lengthy injury list. Unless you can convince Higgsy to come back.

We don't have a lengthy injury list. We have a decent enough squad of young, local players who are playing for little or no money. We won't spend what we don't have.

Plenty of good managers have done well in this league with less resources than the more illustrious clubs like yourselves. It doesn't always come down to big budgets. Derry for example have spent millions under Kenny and have nothing but an FAI Cup and a few league cups to show for it.

I know who I want and he will certainly get the club going again.

Candystripe
23/04/2011, 12:25 PM
Felix?

BTW the away days in Goteborg,Glasgow and Paris plus winning the treble (being denied it by the F.A.I.) and going to the last day of the season in Cork was good enough for me and even one of those away days would make your lifetime following Harps all worth it :P

Back to Harps, I'm seriously shocked at how bad a start you's have had as I was at the Derry game up there and you's looked a decent side against us and especially when you consider how well we've started the season!!!!

So is it Felix you's on about?

passerrby
23/04/2011, 1:35 PM
all I will say is hands off our roddy he cant be bought

Acornvilla
23/04/2011, 1:40 PM

yes he can

TenaciousDee
23/04/2011, 2:26 PM
We don't have a lengthy injury list. We have a decent enough squad of young, local players who are playing for little or no money. We won't spend what we don't have.

I was referring to two weeks ago were you were struggling to get a team together for the Salthill fixture after only 7 trained in the week prior. Can you name one man that can do the job Harps want? Plus don't include Felix in that mindset as he won't be taking it.

Sam_Heggy
23/04/2011, 2:32 PM
Feel bad for James but playing players out of position, playing others that are obviously not giving their all and losing the dressing room were never a great recipe for success.
No wins all season and losing our last 3 in a row, tough job for anyone to come in.

fbtn
23/04/2011, 3:11 PM
BTW the away days in Goteborg,Glasgow and Paris plus winning the treble (being denied it by the F.A.I.) and going to the last day of the season in Cork was good enough for me and even one of those away days would make your lifetime following Harps all worth it :P

Sean, I'm sure the creditors left dry in the Wellevan aftermath have the same attitude :D

And naw, its not Felix.

fbtn
23/04/2011, 3:12 PM
I was referring to two weeks ago were you were struggling to get a team together for the Salthill fixture after only 7 trained in the week prior. Can you name one man that can do the job Harps want? Plus don't include Felix in that mindset as he won't be taking it.

So a manager won't want to come to Harps because we had a lengthy injury list two weeks ago?

Ha ha ha...your some boy Dee.

TenaciousDee
23/04/2011, 3:18 PM
So a manager won't want to come to Harps because we had a lengthy injury list two weeks ago?

Ha ha ha...your some boy Dee.
Naw I reckon no decent manager in their right mind will want to go to a club with no money, poor resources and a very small fanbase. Finn Park is the only ground were I have seen an advert encouraging fans to take trips to see Premier League games in England.

fbtn
23/04/2011, 3:32 PM
Naw I reckon no decent manager in their right mind will want to go to a club with no money, poor resources and a very small fanbase. Finn Park is the only ground were I have seen an advert encouraging fans to take trips to see Premier League games in England.

You are slagging Harps for having no money or resources but the truth is, we'd have plenty of both if we weren't honouring our debts. Maybe then we could pick and chose what bus companies we let advertise in the ground.

Magicme
23/04/2011, 4:12 PM
I can't believe they hadn't the decency to wait til we beat you to leave like all other first division managers. Did they not get the memo?

MagicMon
23/04/2011, 8:03 PM

The immediate response of all Monaghan fans when we see "X manager resigns/sacked/abducted by aliens"

I agree Magicme, a draw at Ballybofey doesn't look great now but then again on the night United were behind twice. I'd say when Harps get over their injury problems they'll do ok.

Martinho II
23/04/2011, 10:12 PM
I heard myself at the match last night that Gallagher was going and this was from someone that posts on here and knows the club inside out...What happened with Kevin McHugh not playin btw?

nigel-harps1954
24/04/2011, 3:38 AM
I heard myself at the match last night that Gallagher was going and this was from someone that posts on here and knows the club inside out...What happened with Kevin McHugh not playin btw?

Went around the whole ground alright last night. Worst kept secret about.

McHugh and Paddy McLaughlin were both injured for last nights game. No strikers as such started the game for Harps.

Martinho II
24/04/2011, 8:52 PM
I see a few interesting names linked for the harps job already.. notw today has cockhill celtic manager and ex harps player Donal O'Brien as favourite to get it. Ex harps manager Dermot Keely is reportedly looking to get back into management and Felix Healy has being linked too..

fbtn
24/04/2011, 10:10 PM
Sure who would be interested in the Harps job? No money, no fans and we like sending people to English football matches ;)

bullit
25/04/2011, 5:35 AM
Sure who would be interested in the Harps job? No money, no fans and we like sending people to Scottish football matches ;)
Your sorted now fbtn

Martinho II
25/04/2011, 8:27 PM
I see that Sean McGowan is linked with it heavily. He was caretaker boss for ye a few years back I believe.Is he any relation to the bold Patsy??

Sam_Heggy
25/04/2011, 9:45 PM
I see that Sean McGowan is linked with it heavily. He was caretaker boss for ye a few years back I believe.Is he any relation to the bold Patsy??

Wizard would be class but it'll not happen. He is thankfully nothing to the nutjob on the hill.

A huge amount of interest in the post Im told. A few big names too but with our financial situation I can't see how the board could take them on.

Im told that another 2 managers threw their name into the hat this evening on top of the big list already in there.

Will be an interesting week or so at the club. Meanwhile, A League manager Paddy Foy and Kevin McHugh will take charge of the side in Tolka Park on Fri night.

cestlavie
26/04/2011, 5:59 PM
I would say its the last throw of the dice for Harps. Whatever manager comes in they will be fire fighting as per usual. It was clear that James was an inexperienced manager but he did try his best and done alot behind the scenes. It certainly wasnt due to lack of effort or preperation that led to this. Not sure that enough quality exists within the team.

The board had expected Anthony Gorman to stay on to hold the fort until a new manager could be appointed. He decided to leave when he heard that James was being let go. Harps now left with no management team, nobody with any experience of management at league of Ireland level. Nothing to loose on Friday night as everybody expects them to loose but you never know football is a strange game and Harps could surprise everyone. Cant see it to be honest, wont be putting any cash on it.

Some of the people being mooted to be the next manager hopefully will not come to fruition.

Sam_Heggy
26/04/2011, 6:14 PM
I would say its the last throw of the dice for Harps. Whatever manager comes in they will be fire fighting as per usual. It was clear that James was an inexperienced manager but he did try his best and done alot behind the scenes. It certainly wasnt due to lack of effort or preperation that led to this. Not sure that enough quality exists within the team.

The board had expected Anthony Gorman to stay on to hold the fort until a new manager could be appointed. He decided to leave when he heard that James was being let go. Harps now left with no management team, nobody with any experience of management at league of Ireland level. Nothing to loose on Friday night as everybody expects them to loose but you never know football is a strange game and Harps could surprise everyone. Cant see it to be honest, wont be putting any cash on it.

Some of the people being mooted to be the next manager hopefully will not come to fruition.

Bullsh!t.

cestlavie
26/04/2011, 6:57 PM
If its bull**** my friend, Why did Paddy Foy not know anything about taking training until the end of the weekend???? If they had plans in place, Who had they envisaged would look after the team when James was been sacked???? Waiting to hear some bull**** coming back from you now. Are you saying that the assitant manager was sacked????? Enlighten us.

This is coming from somebody who is touting Wizzy Mc Gowan for the job. Get real. Then maybe I am being harsh and you are being realistic about it all the same, Wizzy is about all they will be able to afford. If they go down that road, time to shut up shop.

fbtn
26/04/2011, 7:35 PM
From what I know of the situation James and Anthony were let go late on Friday night. The club released a statement on Saturday. They informed Paddy on Sunday that he would be taking the side against Shels.

The board interviewed quite a few people on Saturday and Sunday. The chairman is quoted in the paper as saying that they now have a shortlist of 6. There could have been someone in place before the weekend was over if they felt they got the right man. Maybe that was the reason they didn't ask Paddy to take training in case they had already given someone the job. No big conspiracy.

And yes. The assistant manager was sacked if that is what you are asking.

Very disrespectful to Wizzy by the way. A man that has given a large part of his life to Harps and local football in general. If we had more people with his work ethic and passion for the club then I doubt we'd be where we are in the table.

cheifo
26/04/2011, 7:44 PM
Easy Boys! Speculation and the rumour mill are time honoured traditions of Football.

Everyone has their own opinion on who should and shouldn't get the job but there will be financial and other considerations to be taken into account.

We need a good Management Team to be put in place plus an announcement on work on New Stadium recommencing.

These at least will give the Club a sense that we are building for the future.

The obituary of the Good Ship Finn Harps has been written umpteen times - other Clubs have come and gone (and come again!)- yet she keeps on sailing.

Shelbourne on Friday is a huge ask but as you say you never know!

cestlavie
26/04/2011, 7:54 PM
Fair enough lads and I take your point about the time and effort put in by Wizzy in the past but dont think he will be the solution but thats my opinion but could be wrong and I will hold my hands up If I am. FYI: I dont think that the assistant manager was sacked, I have heard reliably that he wasnt prepared to stay on but you would need the members of the board to confirm that as they did not clarify that happened but maybe you have your ear to the ground and know better. Anyway, heres to the future. We will see what happens.

Sam_Heggy
26/04/2011, 8:24 PM
Cestlavie - do you think Anthony was the right man for the Harps job? If so, what reasons? If not, who is?
Honest questions.

nigel-harps1954
26/04/2011, 9:24 PM
Fair enough lads and I take your point about the time and effort put in by Wizzy in the past but dont think he will be the solution but thats my opinion but could be wrong and I will hold my hands up If I am. FYI: I dont think that the assistant manager was sacked, I have heard reliably that he wasnt prepared to stay on but you would need the members of the board to confirm that as they did not clarify that happened but maybe you have your ear to the ground and know better. Anyway, heres to the future. We will see what happens.

The Chairman of the club came out and said BOTH James and Anthony were let go by the club. It wasn't just James. What reliable sources tell you otherwise if you'd care to share?

You are being very harsh on Wizzard. The man was assistant on a few occasions for different managers and held the caretaker managers position a few times. Most fans at the club would welcome a decision to appoint him I'm sure. He's one of the most respected coaches around the county and a top notch guy. He has more experience in LOI football than a lot of the guys in the league at the moment.

cestlavie
26/04/2011, 9:57 PM
Think they said that they had met and had decided to replace the manager and they told James after the game but they had come to a decision on the Thursday night that he was to be removed. Dont think they said that Gorman was let go, in fact they said very little about that even when asked on Highland as far as I can remember. Gorman left on his own accord, he wasnt sacked. Its just a simple point but that is the facts. They had wanted him to stay on until a new manager was appointed. Perhaps players like O'Grady may not have been attracted to the club if it wasnt for him.

I think the club should go to the wall and start afresh. It hasnt done Derry, Shels or Cork any real harm. Perhaps a new club based on something like Cork or Shamrock Rovers model is what is needed. We should also have a good look at Sligo Rovers. It wasnt too long ago they were out with the begging bowl too. It going to be a tough job for whoever comes in as they interest isnt really their anymore no matter how much I try to fool myself, people couldnt give a flying fook about going to matches. People are far too lazy nad unwilling to spend hard earned cash watching players who are not good enough pure and simple and who could blame them. People go to football to get away from the big bad world and they come back worse than ever after being at places like FinnPark.

So who do reckon will be the next manager????

fbtn
26/04/2011, 10:27 PM
Think they said that they had met and had decided to replace the manager and they told James after the game but they had come to a decision on the Thursday night that he was to be removed. Dont think they said that Gorman was let go, in fact they said very little about that even when asked on Highland as far as I can remember. Gorman left on his own accord, he wasnt sacked. Its just a simple point but that is the facts. They had wanted him to stay on until a new manager was appointed. Perhaps players like O'Grady may not have been attracted to the club if it wasnt for him.

I think the club should go to the wall and start afresh. It hasnt done Derry, Shels or Cork any real harm. Perhaps a new club based on something like Cork or Shamrock Rovers model is what is needed. We should also have a good look at Sligo Rovers. It wasnt too long ago they were out with the begging bowl too. It going to be a tough job for whoever comes in as they interest isnt really their anymore no matter how much I try to fool myself, people couldnt give a flying fook about going to matches. People are far too lazy nad unwilling to spend hard earned cash watching players who are not good enough pure and simple and who could blame them. People go to football to get away from the big bad world and they come back worse than ever after being at places like FinnPark.

So who do reckon will be the next manager????

Jeez aren't you the cheery chappy :D

Harps, Rovers and Cork are all based on a similar model in that we are owned and run by the fans. You buy a share, you can get voted onto the board. The club are steady looking for new people to join the board, help out on match days, coaching etc etc. It isn't the model that is the problem its the lack of volunteers.

We won't go to the wall if we can help it. Most of the money we owe is to local creditors, that is why people are busting a gut to pay our debts.

The diggers are back on the site of the new stadium. It has been long and frustrating waiting for the grant money but it will be worth it.

There is plenty of interest in Harps when we are going well. The fact we have been watching brock for the last few years hasn't helped but hopefully a new manager with new ideas can make some progress.

By the way, I never went to football in my life to get away from the big bad world. If that was the case we would all support Man U and Barca. I go because I like football and you support your team. Especially when they are doing ****. Like everything, its easy when its going well. But when its backs against the wall some people will walk away while others roll up their sleeves and try and make things better.

cheifo
26/04/2011, 10:37 PM
The parting seemed amicable so its better to leave it at that.

Finn Harps can't do the fold up and start up again like Derry etc. The Legalities involved in putting New Stadium Project together all come under the Co-op entity.

avvenalaf
26/04/2011, 10:57 PM
I said here, last year, that I couldn't believe the small crowd at Finn Park for the cup match with Rovers and that i had never seen a worse team play for Harps and, naturally, I was booed of the pitch.
Harps will always have a problem getting a decent side together while Derry City exist and I's say Conor is kicking himself now for not going to longford Town.
However, it could be worse for Harps. Roddy Collins could have been available.

fbtn
26/04/2011, 11:52 PM
I said here, last year, that I couldn't believe the small crowd at Finn Park for the cup match with Rovers and that i had never seen a worse team play for Harps and, naturally, I was booed of the pitch.
Harps will always have a problem getting a decent side together while Derry City exist and I's say Conor is kicking himself now for not going to longford Town.

Without wanting to sound confrontational, do you have a point?

The game you mention in the cup, that you never seen a worse team play for Harps? As I remember Sligo were very fortunate to beat us, only for an early penalty.

Harps are in the process of rebuilding and it will take some time but we'll get there. For the first half of the decade, Sligo weren't competing in the top half of the First Division. I was living there at the time and the crowds were shocking. When we won the division in 2004, I think Sligo finished 7th or 8th. They then won it the following year. It goes to show that things can change pretty quickly in football with the right person in charge.

harps1954
27/04/2011, 10:05 AM
Gorman left on his own accord, he wasnt sacked. They had wanted him to stay on until a new manager was appointed.

Gorman was sacked - FACT.
Gorman was not wanted to stay on until a new manager was appointed - FACT.
The board felt Gorman was a huge part of the reason to our current form/position - FACT.
Again, Gorman was sacked - THIS IS FACT.

If you want, ask Gorman if he was sacked. Ask him if the board wanted him to stay on in the short-term. You will find out that he was let go, same as James. There is no way the board wanted Gorman in charge, for even one game, after his disastrous spell as Manager a few years ago.

Oh, and by the way, I have had the above about Gorman confirmed to me by a member of the Harps board.

Dublin Red
27/04/2011, 12:01 PM
Harps should do what we do and look across the water for a new man. Someone eager to make it as a manager but hasn't gone right for him over in England. Its the way forward. Probably get someone on the cheap too. Roy Keane? ;)

Sam_Heggy
27/04/2011, 12:03 PM
FINALLY, a reason for Harps fans to have an argument on here. All this Bohs v Sligo, Rovers v Sligo, Bohs v Rovers stuff was getting on my nerves.
Harps v Harps, now we're hit the big time lads, revel in it :)

cestlavie
27/04/2011, 12:32 PM
I do remember that Cup game with Sligo and we chased shadows in the first half but Sligo were delighted to get out of the second half with a 1 nil. At the end of the day, the rest is history for Sligo.

Harps1954: The only true thing about your facts are that your not being factual which is a problem. The true FACT is that the board did not have plans in place for this week if Gorman was too leave FACT. We were left with shambolic situation with nobody to look after the team FACT. Paddy Foy was only asked on Sunday FACT. Doesnt sound like a plan coming together to me. This would cause me concern especially in regards to the future appointment of a new management team.

Re: Crowds will come out if Harps are doing well.

Yes, you would see an improvement but not like the days gone bye, the same amount of interest is not their anymore. Harps especially in the past have always been a club happier to be fighting for the top of Division 1 rather than being bottom of the Premiership as they know the possibility of getting better crowds exists being top of division 1, so when you have that mentality Harps will never go anywhere fast.

The very future of the club is on the line. They had better get this one rite.

SkStu
27/04/2011, 2:11 PM
FINALLY, a reason for Harps fans to have an argument on here. All this Bohs v Sligo, Rovers v Sligo, Bohs v Rovers stuff was getting on my nerves.

Bohs v. Sligo?

Unless you want a bit of Bohs v. Harps stuff you better check yo facts.

bluemovie
27/04/2011, 2:24 PM

I'm not used to Harps fans being angry. Can't quite take it seriously. It probably doesn't help that I read all those posts in a Daniel O'Donnell/Gift Grub accent :D

passerrby
27/04/2011, 4:13 PM

may i refer you to the leage table

John83
27/04/2011, 4:23 PM
may i refer you to the leage table
Yeah, Elman are racing ahead. Leage table (http://www.somalifootball.com/?page_id=2326).

Sam_Heggy
27/04/2011, 7:37 PM
I do remember that Cup game with Sligo and we chased shadows in the first half but Sligo were delighted to get out of the second half with a 1 nil. At the end of the day, the rest is history for Sligo.

Harps1954: The only true thing about your facts are that your not being factual which is a problem. The true FACT is that the board did not have plans in place for this week if Gorman was too leave FACT. We were left with shambolic situation with nobody to look after the team FACT. Paddy Foy was only asked on Sunday FACT. Doesnt sound like a plan coming together to me. This would cause me concern especially in regards to the future appointment of a new management team.

Yes, you would see an improvement but not like the days gone bye, the same amount of interest is not their anymore. Harps especially in the past have always been a club happier to be fighting for the top of Division 1 rather than being bottom of the Premiership as they know the possibility of getting better crowds exists being top of division 1, so when you have that mentality Harps will never go anywhere fast.

You're basing your story on what exactly?

SkStu, yo wanna battle let's go. Ye can have Mr A though, he'd spend the whole time training monkeys how to handle knives. Plus, he's gone soft now down in Galway.

avvenalaf
27/04/2011, 9:47 PM

Sligo were delighted to get out of the second half without falling asleep.

Martinho II
27/04/2011, 9:51 PM
I didnt know that Conor O'Grady could have joined us in the preseason???he must feel **** for doing that now...

Finlay Harp
27/04/2011, 10:00 PM
I'm not used to Harps fans being angry. Can't quite take it seriously. It probably doesn't help that I read all those posts in a Daniel O'Donnell/Gift Grub accent :D
Ok try it in a broad Northern Ireland accent now. That should make it more serious!!!:clown:

srfc1928
27/04/2011, 10:10 PM
Ok try it in a broad Northern Ireland accent now. That should make it more serious!!!:clown:
did someone move the border

corkharps
27/04/2011, 10:45 PM
Ladies and gentlemen,boys and ladyboys,
By the end of this season Harps will be:
1) Watching their brand new fully paid for 6000 all seater stadium being built.
2)Challenging for promotion, may have left it a little too late to get there but will finish the league as one of the stronger teams. Not many changes needed,just a wee bit of coaching.
3)Taking pride in watching Kevin McHugh become the leagues leading goalscorer once*again.
4)Taking REAL pride in getting our debts paid off and remaining faithful to our suppliers etc..
5)Return the"Finn Harps Song" to the top of the charts:note:
6) Laughing our ***** off at our dirty neighbors who want to be the Henglish city of horticulture or something.
The future bright,the futures blue and white!

cestlavie
29/04/2011, 4:53 PM
http://extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/5519/licensing-rules-could-hinder-harps-appointment/

This backs up what I had said. The board had not anticipated that the Assitant manager would also leave when Gallagher was sacked and they have now been left chasing their own tails as its really difficult to get a manager or management team with the required coaching qualifications. Gallagher could not be manager without Gorman as his assistant. FACT

Im not gloating but its a point of order for some of the untruths being touted on here by a few posters.

fbtn
29/04/2011, 5:19 PM
http://extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/5519/licensing-rules-could-hinder-harps-appointment/

This backs up what I had said. The board had not anticipated that the Assitant manager would also leave when Gallagher was sacked and they have now been left chasing their own tails as its really difficult to get a manager or management team with the required coaching qualifications. Gallagher could not be manager without Gorman as his assistant. FACT

Im not gloating but its a point of order for some of the untruths being touted on here by a few posters.

Are you related to Anthony by any chance?