PDA

View Full Version : Shown the Door

NeilMcD
11/06/2004, 9:48 AM
There seems to be a tendancy on this forum for people to wish to retire players from Irish footbal very prematurely, Gary Breen is the most recent with, Clinton Morrison, Roy Keane, Matt Holland Kevin Kilbane all get abuse here and saying they should be shown the door or forced into retirement or stuff along those. I think the approach adopted by Brian Kerr is the correct one, he does not close the door on anybody, whether that is Mark Kennedy who has not turned up to a squad yet or Roy Keane, or Dean Kiely or Gary kelly. The fact is that we have a small pool of players and whenever a squad is to be announced the policy should be you pick the 22 best fit players that are available at that time.

only1kilbane
11/06/2004, 10:48 AM
Good point why should any of these players be forced into retirement ? They are all decent pros and if we had availibility like England we would not have this problem but we dont !

We have a small squad and we should back them not criticise them. You never know when we will need them .

max power
11/06/2004, 11:36 AM
Matt Holland Kevin Kilbane all get abuse here and saying they should be shown the door or forced into retirement or stuff along those.

The fact is that we have a small pool of players and whenever a squad is to be announced the policy should be you pick the 22 best fit players that are available at that time.

ya see thats the thing, kilbane and 22 best players is a foot in mouth statement, he is, has been and always will be a donkey.....sorry but that what i think of him

drinkfeckarse
11/06/2004, 1:07 PM
You never know when we will need them .

I can never see the day when we actually "need" Gary Breen, Lee Carsley etc :D :D

liamon
11/06/2004, 1:16 PM
Did we not "need" Gary Breen during the last World Cup? We're short of quality in that position and he may still have something to offer.

drinkfeckarse
11/06/2004, 1:25 PM
Since when do we need a donkey ;)

only1kilbane
11/06/2004, 2:30 PM
People have really short memories. Gary Breen has always done a good job for us and just cause there are better players in his position at the moment. Kevin Kilbane is one very talented donkey then

drinkfeckarse
11/06/2004, 2:51 PM
People have really short memories. Gary Breen has always done a good job for us and just cause there are better players in his position at the moment. Kevin Kilbane is one very talented donkey then

Just because he rarely let us down doesn't mean he's not a donkey. He always gave 100% but let's face it.....I've seen milk turn quicker. ;)

NeilMcD
11/06/2004, 3:28 PM
You are missing the point it does not matter that you think they are donkeys etc or traitors or judas or whatever it is for the player in question. The fact is you should not be calling for irish players to retire or feck off or never be considered. the job of the manager is to pick the best 22 playres available to hilm. Anyone who does not think that Kevin Kilbane is not in our best 22 players does not have a clue about football. he is not maradona and can be limited but i would trust david moyes and brian kerr before any of you guys. I used to roar at Kilbane from the stands as i thought he was very limited and to be honest he is , but he was excellant against Brazil and the Czech Republic. Anyway the point is Brian Kerr is the manager and he has not shown the door to any player since he took charge and that to me seems like a very good attitude to have and I think the supporters should adopt it to. Get behind your team instead of giving out about it all the time.

max power
11/06/2004, 3:32 PM
so kilbane played well in games that the other temas didn't really make an effort in, espc brazil, they never even broke a sweat.

i don't rate kilbane and am entitles to say as i feel, its not personel or about his accent ( which is how some people look at it ), he is a donkey...

i know people in sunderland who were overjoyed when he left, kilbane is a donkey in my book and thats how i think, i can't just like a player because of his passport, i rate them on their job for club and country and he is a donkey

drinkfeckarse
11/06/2004, 3:43 PM
You are missing the point it does not matter that you think they are donkeys etc or traitors or judas or whatever it is for the player in question. The fact is you should not be calling for irish players to retire or feck off or never be considered. the job of the manager is to pick the best 22 playres available to hilm. Anyone who does not think that Kevin Kilbane is not in our best 22 players does not have a clue about football. he is not maradona and can be limited but i would trust david moyes and brian kerr before any of you guys. I used to roar at Kilbane from the stands as i thought he was very limited and to be honest he is , but he was excellant against Brazil and the Czech Republic. Anyway the point is Brian Kerr is the manager and he has not shown the door to any player since he took charge and that to me seems like a very good attitude to have and I think the supporters should adopt it to. Get behind your team instead of giving out about it all the time.

I've never called for any players to retire or be left out, what are you on about :confused:
I'm simply pointing out the facts that some of them are donkeys...I'm aware that in some instances that that is all we've got but it doesn't make them any less of a donkey for that reason! Kilbane, while I don't think is as bad as most people make him out to be, is not my idea of a great player. You say he is one of our best 22 players.....it doesn't work like that. The fact is he is predominantly(spelling) a left winger and we don't pick 22 left wingers in every squad. I can think of 2 left wingers that are better options than him in Duff and Andy Reid.
Yes he didn't do too bad against Brazil and the Czech Rep but I hasten to add that they were 2 friendlies and that probably gave him an average of 1 decent game in every 15. Always gets my support on the field though, I know he tries.

eirebhoy
11/06/2004, 4:02 PM
so kilbane played well in games that the other temas didn't really make an effort in, espc brazil, they never even broke a sweat.
This is something that really annoys me too. Whenever we get a good result against a top team its always because the opposition couldn't be bothered. I can probably bet my mortgage that if Holland weren't going into the European Championships and their fans didn't boo them after the game people would be saying they didn't try.

A couple of Brazilian's probably didn't give it their all but most of them did.

I saw Dida roaring at his teammates on a couple of occasion's, that just shows he was up for it and the players were below par.

Centre half's haven't really got a choice to be up for the game or not because they have to take what's coming. Lucio was solid but Roque Junior was atrocious and gave a load of fouls away and got booked.

Cafu was also booked and had a hard time with Reid.

I remember Roberto Carlos miscontrolled a long pass and it went out for a throw, everyone in the crowd laughed and cheered, you would have expected Carlos to laugh but he was really annoyed. That again shows he was up for it.

I can't remember much from the midfielders but I'm sure Kleberson, Edmílson and Ze Roberto were up for it because they are hardly guaranteed a place in the starting lineup so had to impress the manager.

Ronaldinho, Kaka and Ronaldo all had decent games. Ronaldo is the type of player that stays around the box and waits for the ball, why does it matter if he's up for it? If he's not up for it will he hit it wide or run slower?

Back on topic. I did notice a lot of people wanting players to retire early, I wouldn't do it but I see where they're coming from. Santini is one of Desailly's biggest fans and keeps sticking with him but the French supporters would prefer Gallas or Silvestre. The only way they will get their wish is if Desailly retires.

sylvo
11/06/2004, 6:24 PM
[QUOTE=max power]so kilbane played well in games that the other temas didn't really make an effort in, espc brazil, they never even broke a sweat.

i don't rate kilbane and am entitles to say as i feel, its not personel or about his accent ( which is how some people look at it ), he is a donkey...

What about the Czech's, i guess when Pavel Nedved who was every where the ball was, was also not breaking into a sweat as well as that no 5 who's name i can't remember who went through the whole game clattering people he to could'nt be arsed, and the winning goal which was scored with help from one or two slip up while trying to tackle on the greasy surface in the Czech defence, i guess they were just banjaxed after doing a massive pre match pub crawl down Baggot Street.
Like the accent bit. :D

carnstien
11/06/2004, 6:57 PM
While there is little point in retiring certain players from the squad, there are certainly some who could be booted out of the 1st team. When you see the likes of Miller and Ried, who simply ooze class, you wonder how anyone could still opt to choose flappers like Holland and Kilbane in the 1st team.

Keep Holland as backup in the centre, but Kilbane should be 3rd choice for the spot on the left.

Personnaly I don't believe Breen and Carsley should be making the squad, I think they are an embarrassment.

Beavis
11/06/2004, 7:21 PM
Wasn't it only a month or so ago everyone was praising Kilbane?Now back to critisism even though he hasn't played a game.This demonstrates that people clearly don't want to like him as a player no matter what he does.

Condex
11/06/2004, 8:46 PM
I know Kilbane is not the best player the world, but he sets the tone in a match he plays with his exuberance.

He established himself last season in the Everton team, and would have him on the Ireland team going foward until someone(if anyone) better comes along.

1MickCollins
12/06/2004, 1:10 AM

Agreed, Kilbane and Breen have always done their best. We don't have the numbers to be so picky, if Gary Kelly, Lee Carsley (OK, I'm pushing it) or Dean Kiely want to return I think that would be great. I'm all for giving the kids a chance but so many go the way of O'Neill, Turner, Sadlier, Reddy - either fail to live up to expectations or get injured that we need to appreciate the pros who made it at the top level.

only1kilbane
12/06/2004, 11:04 AM
Agreed, Kilbane and Breen have always done their best. We don't have the numbers to be so picky, if Gary Kelly, Lee Carsley (OK, I'm pushing it) or Dean Kiely want to return I think that would be great. I'm all for giving the kids a chance but so many go the way of O'Neill, Turner, Sadlier, Reddy - either fail to live up to expectations or get injured that we need to appreciate the pros who made it at the top level.

Yeah kids like Barrett and Quinn would not have been thought of a couple of weeks ago now everyone is bigging them up ! Kilbane and Breen have proved themselves kids like barrett need to put in the hard work before we move on some of the older crew. I dont think no matter what he does Kilbane will ever win over most of the Irish fans

Plastic Paddy
12/06/2004, 11:22 AM
I dont think no matter what he does Kilbane will ever win over most of the Irish fans

I couldn't agree more. What a shame though. If only some of our other players had his workrate, application and desire to play for the shirt and the country, we'd be world-beaters.

:) PP

lopez
12/06/2004, 12:16 PM
I dont think no matter what he does Kilbane will ever win over most of the Irish fansUnless a player with Kilbane's accent is capable of walking into the scum team for ten years (of which club, Mr. Spice and the donkeys Neville perhaps, are the only realistic member) no 2G player is ever going to win over this pathetic MINORITY of inverted bigots. Despite the fact that he told them to f*ck off at 15 and unlike much of the said MINORITY can actually speak the national language - not claim to speak it on a census form - he's only playing for us cos he can't get into the national team of his birth-place. It's not about the accent? :D :D :D :rolleyes:

carnstien
12/06/2004, 5:04 PM
I know Kilbane is not the best player the world, but he sets the tone in a match he plays with his exuberance.

He established himself last season in the Everton team, and would have him on the Ireland team going foward until someone(if anyone) better comes along.
So I take it you believe Kilbane to be a better player than Andy Ried and Damien Duff then. Interesting that.

eirebhoy
12/06/2004, 9:33 PM
So I take it you believe Kilbane to be a better player than Andy Ried and Damien Duff then. Interesting that.
Well, I don't think it matters if he is because he's not a left winger anymore (at club level anyway), either is Reid. Kilbane's best performances for Ireland have been in the middle and Reid's best position is behind the front two where he played against Canada.

carnstien
13/06/2004, 10:41 AM
Well, I don't think it matters if he is because he's not a left winger anymore (at club level anyway), either is Reid. Kilbane's best performances for Ireland have been in the middle and Reid's best position is behind the front two where he played against Canada.
So potential candidates to partner King Roy in the centre are, Ried, Miller, Holland and Kilbane. Pesonally I don't believe Kilbane to be the best of those players. Miller or Ried should partner Keane with the other one playing on the right.

only1kilbane
14/06/2004, 12:19 PM

Some of the comments like above are so annoying. What a stupid comment. He never said that kilbane was better than duff or reid but in the last couple of games he is playing in the middle and done a great job so he would not be competing with duff or reid. He would be competing with matty(average) holland and kilbane is streets ahead in my opinion.

sadloserkid
14/06/2004, 1:17 PM
Liam Miller should get plenty of practice sitting on the bench for at least another season. Roy Keane (though I don't like what I've seen of the man personally now that he's back he should start) and one from Delap/Kavanagh/Holland in the centre with the likes of Miller and Alan Quinn understudying. To jest a little bit, Colin Healy's leg should be forcibly broken again to ensure he doesn't win another cap! :)

That is a joke by the way

eirebhoy
14/06/2004, 2:18 PM
Liam Miller should get plenty of practice sitting on the bench for at least another season.
Well if Phillip Neville can get 31 appearances I'm sure Miller will get a chance.

tiktok
14/06/2004, 2:23 PM
....then again, Kleberson (world cup winners medal hanging around his neck) only managed three starts, so you never can tell.

carnstien
16/06/2004, 6:43 PM
Liam Miller should get plenty of practice sitting on the bench for at least another season. Roy Keane (though I don't like what I've seen of the man personally now that he's back he should start) and one from Delap/Kavanagh/Holland in the centre with the likes of Miller and Alan Quinn understudying. To jest a little bit, Colin Healy's leg should be forcibly broken again to ensure he doesn't win another cap! :)

That is a joke by the way
Honestly Healy is not that bad, I think he is a far more talented individual thatn Holland, Kavanaght, Delap or Kilbane. He is strong in the tackle and a better passer of the ball than any of the above.