PDA

View Full Version : Website

Pages : [1] 2 3

Acornvilla
18/04/2011, 11:34 AM
Just thinking there could be a lot of room for improvement here, even stuff like updating the table every week would be nice, would be good to have match reports and things out the day after games and just more random news about the happenings within the club going on daily.

Just for the casual onlooker who may look at the site and see a 3 week out of date table and no new club news in the last week, seems a lil unprofessional.

I appreciate these things take some time but in fairness there's no reason why It cant be a bit more punctual and informative.

Could they also not try advertising a bit more on the site as well, not trying to put anyone down just wanted to raise the point,so if someone is about to come back ranting at me telling me to do it myself don't bother ;)

could they not build a little forum into the site as well possibly for supporters (blah blah we have foot.ie) no reason why we shouldn't have our own

This link (http://www.ltfc.ie/gallery/stadium/)is also broken or there's no stadium photos or something

and Cathal Brady still hasn't got a photo here, (http://www.ltfc.ie/club_info/profiles/)

there also a few other absentees on the page

Macy
18/04/2011, 1:19 PM
could they not build a little forum into the site as well possibly for supporters (blah blah we have foot.ie) no reason why we shouldn't have our own
There used to be a guestbook on one of the previous incarnations, but it was a disaster. They'd be nuts to have any kind of forum, given anything on an official site can be held against them by the FAI. Other clubs have had issues with stuff linked from an offical site, if I recall correctly!

The main miss for me is somewhere to order gear from - no idea how easy or hard it would be to set up and maintain though (perhaps an ebay shop?). And as I wouldn't have the knowledge or time to do it myself, I do find it hard to criticise other volunteers.

outspoken
18/04/2011, 2:22 PM
I was talking to someone the other day and they told me they are about to do a major revamp on it

Acornvilla
18/04/2011, 3:00 PM
There used to be a guestbook on one of the previous incarnations, but it was a disaster. They'd be nuts to have any kind of forum, given anything on an official site can be held against them by the FAI. Other clubs have had issues with stuff linked from an offical site, if I recall correctly!

The main miss for me is somewhere to order gear from - no idea how easy or hard it would be to set up and maintain though (perhaps an ebay shop?). And as I wouldn't have the knowledge or time to do it myself, I do find it hard to criticise other volunteers.

online shop would be a very good idea, people abroad could order gear on the site and have it posted and whotnot even

Pauro 76
19/04/2011, 9:17 PM
Yeah online shop would be a brilliant idea.

L.T.F.C.
19/04/2011, 9:27 PM
The online shop should be there years ago. I like the site, its simple and not all over the place. One thing that does bother me is that the font isn't always the same. Also it is still called the eircom League on the site. And alot of remnants from last year. I think it is time for a revamp.

Acornvilla
20/04/2011, 1:48 AM
/me demands online shop

L.T.F.C.
21/07/2011, 10:58 PM
Any word on this revamp... starting to get annoyed with the site.

outspoken
21/07/2011, 11:39 PM
Musnt be happening, I've been waiting like everyone else it's very frustrating

Longfordian
22/07/2011, 12:48 AM
I've no idea what the club's plans are, but the last time the website was redesigned it was done for nothing as a favour. It was set up that the basic features could be changed by the club from anywhere. A full redesign is a lot of hours for someone to put in voluntarily and would be expensive if someone was charging for it.

Acornvilla
22/07/2011, 6:31 PM
Someone get me a dreamweaver torrent :P

Pauro 76
25/07/2011, 1:21 PM
Someone get me a dreamweaver torrent :P

It's a lot more work than you'd think doing up and updating a website. Dreamweaver is a very tough package to master.

Pauro 76
06/08/2011, 1:20 PM
Just to let you know, there will be a new look website before the start of the new season, it's been currently worked on...

Acornvilla
06/08/2011, 2:57 PM
Just to let you know, there will be a new look website before the start of the new season, it's been currently worked on...
good stuff, online club shop is a must by the way

Pauro 76
06/08/2011, 5:57 PM
good stuff, online club shop is a must by the way

I'll have to look into that and see if it's at all possible. Want to get everything else sorted on it first though, but will keep you posted!

Macy
06/08/2011, 8:46 PM
Just a suggestion, and it may be linked from the website rather than embedded, but is an ebay shop not an option? Must take an awful lot of maintenance and hassle out of it rather than doing a secure shopping on the site.

L.T.F.C.
07/08/2011, 6:09 AM
Just a suggestion, and it may be linked from the website rather than embedded, but is an ebay shop not an option? Must take an awful lot of maintenance and hassle out of it rather than doing a secure shopping on the site.

I'd hate that. Cries of amateurism and tackiness.

Pauro 76
07/08/2011, 7:52 AM
Taking all considerations on-board here. Many of the clubs don't have a club shop either but when that bridge comes, I'll see what can be done.

Macy
07/08/2011, 9:13 AM
I'd hate that. Cries of amateurism and tackiness.
I don't think exiles would care, once they could purchase securely. Or the club volunteers (both from the shop and the website) that they could do things easily and effectively. Or is this you volunteering to set up and maintain a proper on line shop, rather than the usual contrariness?

Pauro 76
07/08/2011, 11:58 AM
I don't think exiles would care, once they could purchase securely. Or the club volunteers (both from the shop and the website) that they could do things easily and effectively. Or is this you volunteering to set up and maintain a proper on line shop, rather than the usual contrariness?

I'm going to have to check for some more info, it's certainly possible. If anyone out there is willing to help out on that score, feel free to let us know.

Pauro 76
07/08/2011, 2:50 PM
Also there will be scope for advertising too. But it certainly won't overwhelm the site. Have also a few new features that I'll test the water on at some point.

wullie
09/08/2011, 2:13 PM
Would be good to see the squad on the website updated.

Acornvilla
09/08/2011, 2:27 PM

little player profile and interview with each as well

and post and pre match interviews with players and staff every week would be great

sorbothegreek
09/08/2011, 3:37 PM

that i can do tomorrow..

Pauro 76
09/08/2011, 4:01 PM
Hey folks, I'm going to be designing and setting up the new website. I'll take any suggestions from here onboard, whichever works basically. It's got some new features that I hope you'll be impressed with, but I'm going to keep it under my hat for now, at least until I get it up and running which will take a while. Your patience is much appreciated.

outspoken
10/08/2011, 11:26 AM
Just to let people know as well that LTFC is now on Twitter as well which is great cause I think we were the only club without a Twitter page, the Facebook page has been a massive success with nearly 2000 friends so hopefully the Twitter page will be the same you can follow it @LongfordTownFC

Macy
10/08/2011, 1:13 PM
Facebook would probably get more if it was set up as a page rather than a person (if that makes sense - you "like" a page, rather than become friends). I'm probably a bit long in the tooth, but I only become "friends" with real people (and really show my age with this one - people I actually do know!). No idea whether it can be changed or whether there's other issues going that route, or even if that stops some randomer who's maintaining the page accessing my profile, which is the reason I'm a bit circumspect.

Pauro 76
10/08/2011, 1:22 PM
Facebook would probably get more if it was set up as a page rather than a person (if that makes sense - you "like" a page, rather than become friends). I'm probably a bit long in the tooth, but I only become "friends" with real people (and really show my age with this one - people I actually do know!). No idea whether it can be changed or whether there's other issues going that route, or even if that stops some randomer who's maintaining the page accessing my profile, which is the reason I'm a bit circumspect.

Think the Facebook as a business page rather than as a personal page only came in a few years ago. I could very well be wrong though.

@LongfordTownFC on Twitter has 20 followers already within a few hours, and it can only grow from here too.

Longfordian
10/08/2011, 2:49 PM
Well hopefully the Twitter account gets used for news, updates etc as Twitter is very good for that if used right. The existing Facebook group is a bit "jokey" if it's to be the only Town presence on there. I know it wasn't officially set up by the club and isn't run by it but it's the only existing group or page and having things like "Harvard" and "St Mels" under "Education" and "Born on 1 June 1924" is a bit stupid IMO. Oh and the fact that it's titled Longford Town "Fc" rather than "FC" also irritates me!

outspoken
10/08/2011, 11:14 PM
Better than nothing I suppose and ye hopefully the Twitter is constantly updated with club news etc

L.T.F.C.
11/08/2011, 12:35 AM
Oh and the fact that it's titled Longford Town "Fc" rather than "FC" also irritates me!

Had to hide them from my feed because I couldn't look at it!

Pauro 76
11/08/2011, 5:17 AM
Was thinking, maybe if we set up an official Longford Town facebook page (set up as a business page) and still publicise the existing group as non-official. (not the views of Longford Town FC etc). For the official pages, best not to offer opinions.

Longfordian
11/08/2011, 9:07 AM
Yeah sounds like a good idea. Use the business page for promotion, news, some photos etc.

Macy
11/08/2011, 9:51 AM
Yep, I like the business page proposal. Promotion of matches, links to the site, linking to (other clubs) highlights etc. I guess all these things come down to maintaining them, so fair play to whoever volunteers.

Pauro 76
11/08/2011, 10:09 AM
Any volunteers for the Facebook business page lads? Hands full with setting up the website for now. Also if anyone wants any LTFC-related news that they want to promote on Twitter, maybe leave a direct message @LongfordTownFC on Twitter or myself at padraigstapleton@gmail.com. Cheers folks!

Also live updates on Twitter might be a really good idea, if anyone's up for taking it on. There's a lot we can do with it.

Martinho II
11/08/2011, 10:41 PM
I was asked by podge to do the stats section of the website which I will be honoured to help out.. I have compiled all the stats from 84-85 season to date so that can be put into the website.. I also think it would be a wonderful idea to put in old pictures of longford town squad and players on our website as that is something that is lacking badly... anyone with old photos either from newspapers or from the internet let me ,podge or sorbo know..

Macy
12/08/2011, 8:34 AM
I wouldn't mind doing the facebook, but I just don't have regular enough access - no smart phone and it's blocked in work - same with twitter, unfortunately. Sorry Pauro.

Pauro 76
12/08/2011, 9:01 AM
I wouldn't mind doing the facebook, but I just don't have regular enough access - no smart phone and it's blocked in work - same with twitter, unfortunately. Sorry Pauro.

Cheers Macy, if anyone wants to take it on, work away. Think the half-time/full-time updates and goals when they happen is grand enough on Twitter for now. Bit of breaking news there already. Upwards of 70 followers already in two days, great going so far.

Longfordian
12/08/2011, 9:46 AM
I don't mind helping out with the Facebook page if you want. It would ideally require someone from within the club to decide what goes up on it etc. if it's going to be an official page.

Dodge
12/08/2011, 9:57 AM
have a litle experience in this field.

You can use twitterfeed.com/ to feed a RSS feed into your twitter account. (Pats do it) basically it means anything thats added to the Pats website is also announced through twitter. They provide the first few words and then a link to the website

You can set your facebook page to post on twitter too. So if you update facebook, or add a link, photo, event etc etc it gets announced on twitter. If its just an update and less than 140 charachters it remains just text. Any more and a link is provided

At its basicest, if the guy looking after the facebook just cuts'n'pastes from the website it'll still be 'official'. As long as the club know who's doing it so they can get something up, it shouldn't be a problem. facebook is handy for little bits of news that don't neccesarily involve whole web posts

Have a look at http://facebook.com/stpatsfc and http://twitter.com/stpatsfc

Pauro 76
12/08/2011, 10:39 AM
have a litle experience in this field.

You can use twitterfeed.com/ to feed a RSS feed into your twitter account. (Pats do it) basically it means anything thats added to the Pats website is also announced through twitter. They provide the first few words and then a link to the website

You can set your facebook page to post on twitter too. So if you update facebook, or add a link, photo, event etc etc it gets announced on twitter. If its just an update and less than 140 charachters it remains just text. Any more and a link is provided

At its basicest, if the guy looking after the facebook just cuts'n'pastes from the website it'll still be 'official'. As long as the club know who's doing it so they can get something up, it shouldn't be a problem. facebook is handy for little bits of news that don't neccesarily involve whole web posts

Have a look at http://facebook.com/stpatsfc and http://twitter.com/stpatsfc

Wonderful stuff, I'll have a look and see if I can set it up.

I don't mind helping out with the Facebook page if you want. It would ideally require someone from within the club to decide what goes up on it etc. if it's going to be an official page.

Nice one, that would be brilliant! I can pass on as well the Twitter details if you like so that if there's anything you reckon should go on it, exiled so a bit out of the loop with goings on.

Longfordian
12/08/2011, 10:51 AM
Yeah sure send me on the details anyway. I'll PM you my email address too so you can keep in contact about it that way if you're not on here too.

outspoken
12/08/2011, 10:54 AM
If ye want help with anything dont be afraid to give me a shout, sure what else would I have to be at :)

sorbothegreek
12/08/2011, 11:01 AM
I'll have the log on details to and one way or t'other we'll get it updated even if it's a case of me texting you. You know yourself though, i've read stuff on here before i've had word of it myself so the old Marvin Gaye can still beat you to it..

Longfordian
12/08/2011, 11:05 AM
Yeah no worries, I'll set up the Facebook page later on and will send you on the details of that too. Even if there's no specific news some general guff previewing games etc wouldn't be any harm.

Acornvilla
12/08/2011, 11:34 AM
Good stuff lads, was going to offer to handle the facebook end or anything else but you seem to have it all covered, Interweb wise I have a few bits and pieces that need doing every day so if anyone needs an extra hand gimme a shout

Dodge
12/08/2011, 12:01 PM
Yeah no worries, I'll set up the Facebook page later on and will send you on the details of that too. Even if there's no specific news some general guff previewing games etc wouldn't be any harm.

Give me a PM here if you need a hand with that

sorbothegreek
12/08/2011, 12:09 PM
Just one thing, and i don't want to come across sounding like a ***** but no one gets access to anything official unless they verify exactly who they are first.

Acornvilla
12/08/2011, 12:17 PM
Just one thing, and i don't want to come across sounding like a ***** but no one gets access to anything official unless they verify exactly who they are first.

Thought that would have went without saying in fairness, it would be fairly stupid to give complete randomers you can't trace, info on stuff

Dodge
12/08/2011, 12:18 PM
For the record I was talking about giving a couple of hints/tips/pointers

NO interest in actually getting access to anything...