PDA

View Full Version : Been at all Euro games?

paudie
10/06/2004, 12:22 PM
Looking forward to Saturday week.

Anyone else been at all City's euro home ties?

Torpedo Moscow
Bayern Munich
Cwmbran Town
Galatasary
Slavia Prague
IFK Gothenburg
Standard Liege
Koln
Lausanne
CSKA Kyiv
Metalurgs Liepas

Don't think I've forgotten anyone.

Some good memories from those games.

pete
10/06/2004, 1:29 PM
Torpedo before my time but good memories of the others.

Galatasary definitely goes down in the "what could have been" category we were so unlucky.
Slavia Prague most impressive i've seen as they completely played us off the park.

Other memories were Cwmbran at the cross as well as Toni Polster getting abuse at the cross only to whack one in from 30 yards.

eoinh
10/06/2004, 1:42 PM
Slavia Prague most impressive i've seen as they completely played us off the park.

Agree with that. They were awsome, loads of that team went on to become established internationals with the Czech Republic.

CSKA changed their name recently to Arsenal.

sparky76
10/06/2004, 1:55 PM
was at them all except the torpedo match. I read we got hammered in that one. The cwmbran town match was great with the mighty glynn. Were definely unlucky in the galatasary match and we would have had manu next if we had gone through.

Remember going out to bishopstown for the prague match and getting stuffed. Read there recently that Berger and smicer were in the prague side not something i took much notice of at the time

thecorner
10/06/2004, 2:32 PM
Galatasary definitely goes down in the "what could have been" category we were so unlucky.

reckon the mighty munich could also fall into category

pete
10/06/2004, 3:21 PM
reckon the mighty munich could also fall into category

Doesn't have the same alure to me. maybe something to do with playing in Musgrave Park before smallish crowd cos ticket prioces hiked too much.

Ozymandias
10/06/2004, 3:47 PM
I thought we played the two moscow teams torpedo and CSKA...didn't think it was CSKA kyiv....I was at all the games...Cwmbran town when Johnny g scored is a highlight....scoring twice in turkey where Utd failed to score two years in a row....small crowd or not....when Dowtcha scored against Bayern it was just something special

great nights

James
10/06/2004, 4:11 PM
....scoring twice in turkey where Utd failed to score two years in a row...

thought we only scored once in turkey?

eoinh
10/06/2004, 4:27 PM
I thought we played the two moscow teams torpedo and CSKA...didn't think it was CSKA kyiv....

great nights

it was defenitely kiev. we drove them very close as well, we were two up in the home game if memory serves me well before the lucky so and sos got a goal back :(

Sheridan
10/06/2004, 4:30 PM
it was defenitely kiev. we drove them very close as well, we were two up in the home game if memory serves me well before the lucky so and sos got a goal back :(
It was indeed CSKA (or CSCA, as I believe they spelled it) Kiev. I remember because RTÉ broadcast BOTH LEGS live :eek:

Cahill was brilliant that day, tore the Ukrainians (whom I seem to remember had two ringers on loan from Dynamo Kiev) to bits. CSKA scored in stoppage time (I think I can even remember the bloke's name! Tshikmeistruk or something equally impenetrable) off a badly defender corner, it broke to him and he mis-hit a weird shot with his shin that somehow crept in.

paudie
10/06/2004, 5:06 PM
was at them all except the torpedo match. I read we got hammered in that one.

We lost the home leg 1-0. The first leg was in Moscow and we lost 5-0 and from what I heard it could have been ten.

They were a class outfit. At the Cross they scored after 10 minutes and passed the ball around amongst themselves for most of the rest of the game, though I think Johnny C missed a sitter near the end (as he also did against Koln and Slavia. The Russians must have laughed when they saw the Cross. The only seats back then were the ones in front of the old dressing rooms.

Best ever was Davy's goal v Bayern. The word legend does not do the man justice. The goal was shown over the credits of the BBC euro highlights progrmamme that night.

Close second was Johnny Glynns goal v Cwmbran. I've no doubt the Shed sucked that goal through sheer force of will.

patsh
10/06/2004, 8:16 PM
Toni Polster getting abuse at the cross only to whack one in from 30 yards.
And the Romanian player Munteanu was a class act. One of the best ever to play at the Cross......

b_mcsweeney
11/06/2004, 2:01 PM
the kiev player who scored that late, late horrible goal to make it 2-1 was revut, one of the fullbacks. i curse his name to this day. that city side was about as good as any i've seen and we thrashed kiev on the day. mooney had a mare in the away leg, we lost 2 nil and went out 3-2 on aggregate. i was convinced we had it won when del got the second with a header. one of the highlights of the game was ryle nugent being abused mercilessly by the shed, i think he switched to egg chasing soon after!

paudie
11/06/2004, 2:53 PM
Yeah there was a sense of doom as people left the Cross that day even though the team had played well and won the game.

Didn't play well in the second leg and lost 2-0.

Bigballs
11/06/2004, 3:52 PM
Was at all of them except Lausanne I think, was on hols.

Cwmbran town away was a great trip. On the **** on the Cork-Swansea ferry- great laugh. 3 down at ht and got back to 3-2
Paul Hague was playing inall