PDA

View Full Version : 2011 World Snooker Championship

culloty82
13/04/2011, 1:13 PM
Yes, this Saturday, the Crucible action starts up again this year. Defending champion Neil Robertson has a tricky starter against the talented Judd Trump, while the draw (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_World_Snooker_Championship)seems to favour a John Higgins v Ding Junhui final, the Scotsman probably the tournament favourite this year based on his tour form. It's been a disastrous year for Ronnie O'Sullivan, and it will be a huge shock if the Rocket gets any further than the last eight. As for Irish interest, Ken Doherty seems permanently attached to the BBC couch at this stage, so only Mark Allen will be flying the flag this year.

culloty82
17/04/2011, 7:40 AM
The "Crucible Curse" strikes again, as Robertson is dumped out by Trump, while Murphy is on the brink of the first whitewash in 20 years, enjoying a 9-0 overnight lead over Marcus Campbell.

culloty82
21/04/2011, 1:47 PM
A few noteworthy shocks already, Barry Hawkins knocking out Stephen Maguire, Marco Fu losing out to Martin Gould and Stuart Bingham eliminating former champion Peter Ebdon. Antrim's Mark Allen nearly faced a similar disaster last night, trailing Matthew Stevens 9-6, and looking rather depressed all the while, but somehow reeled off the final four frames to reach the last 16.

bennocelt
21/04/2011, 5:15 PM
I backed Trump at 33/1, but he was 66/1 before the chinese open he won.(damn) He is about the only player after Ronnie I could stomach watching - but then listening to him on the tv he seems like another prototype bore. Pity there is no Irish in it this year.

Not Brazil
22/04/2011, 10:48 AM
Antrim's Mark Allen nearly faced a similar disaster last night, trailing Matthew Stevens 9-6, and looking rather depressed all the while, but somehow reeled off the final four frames to reach the last 16.

Allen has been suffering from depression of late.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/how-mark-allenrsquos-little-girl-inspired-his-dramatic-crucible-victory-15145981.html

Not Brazil
22/04/2011, 10:49 AM
Pity there is no Irish in it this year.

I thought Antrim was in Ireland.

culloty82
23/04/2011, 7:56 AM
Mark Williams becomes the first quarter-finalist, demolishing Jamie Cope 13-4, and now awaits the winner of Allen-Hawkins, which is currently 3-5, but with two sessions to be played today. 33-1 looks good value on Trump, he just needs two frames today to join Williams, and he's on the easier side of the draw, with Dott or Carter up next.

bennocelt
23/04/2011, 9:56 PM
I thought Antrim was in Ireland.

I mean the republic!;)

culloty82
26/04/2011, 8:02 AM
Ding comes back from 12-9 down to beat Stuart Bingham 13-12, while Murphy threatens a similar comeback, but loses to Ronnie 13-10.

Quarter-Finals:

Trump v Dott:

Trump has certainly looked impressive in both matches to date, but Dott has reached three Crucible finals, and his experience should win out.

Williams v Allen:

Both have impressive records in this tournament, but Williams is currently ranked first and has shown better quality in his two matches,so a Welsh win.

Ding Junhui v Selby:

Ding has yet to sparklein his two matches, while Selby demolished Hendry, having tipped Ding for the final at the start though, I won't change horses now.

Higgins v O'Sullivan:

Undoubtedly the tie of the round, O'Sullivan has taken until now to show any level of form, while Higgins has struggled. Still, Higgins should show the greater consistency to qualify.

ifk101
28/04/2011, 8:58 AM
Can't say I'm sorry to see Selby knocked out.

bennocelt
28/04/2011, 5:31 PM
Can't say I'm sorry to see Selby knocked out.

Likewise. Up there with Ebdon and Dott - urgh

tricky_colour
01/05/2011, 12:10 AM
Looking forward to the final, I backed Trump at 4.2-1 I could cash in with a cover bet but I will let it ride.
Don't see why Higgins is favourite he struggled with the pressure in the final frame.
Trump amazes me with how well he can get pressure pots.

tricky_colour
01/05/2011, 12:14 AM
I backed Trump at 33/1, but he was 66/1 before the chinese open he won.(damn) He is about the only player after Ronnie I could stomach watching - but then listening to him on the tv he seems like another prototype bore. Pity there is no Irish in it this year.

You got a good price there!!
His play certainly is not boring he is like a breath of fresh air, Higgins bores me to death.
I will be rooting for Trump like I used to for Alex Higgins!

TheBoss
01/05/2011, 1:37 AM
Higgins to grind him down, 18-9 :D

tricky_colour
01/05/2011, 1:49 PM
Higgins to grind him down, 18-9 :D

LOL not a chance, Trump will blow Higgins away in his wake.

It was interesting watching the betting, it was not until Trump went 2 frames ahead that the penny dropped and Trump became favourite.

bennocelt
02/05/2011, 9:38 AM
You got a good price there!!
His play certainly is not boring he is like a breath of fresh air, Higgins bores me to death.
I will be rooting for Trump like I used to for Alex Higgins!

Yeah he def plays exciting stuff, some excellent shots - good to see someone like this back in the game - god knows it needs it after Selby, Murphy, Williams and co
That price was also shot up on the racing post so there was smart money on him going into this tournament, but I did remember his very short stint 4 years ago where he played really excellent but went out in first round. But wonder what the hell he has been doing the last 4 years!!!!
Shud have enough now to win against a poor and bloody lucky Higgins

bennocelt
02/05/2011, 3:05 PM
Jesus! How many poxy lucky shots can Higgins get in one match!!!

tricky_colour
02/05/2011, 3:17 PM
Looks like he has gone from 3 up to 1 down.

tricky_colour
02/05/2011, 3:24 PM
Higgins gone to 1.52 Trump 2.9 decimal

I could cover my bet but I will wait until the next session start.

Cuyahoga
03/05/2011, 12:29 PM
just heard the female newsreader on the 1 o clock news that john higgins was very emotional last night because his father alex hurricane higgins had died recently. Only on Rte !!!

bennocelt
03/05/2011, 2:22 PM
just heard the female newsreader on the 1 o clock news that john higgins was very emotional last night because his father alex hurricane higgins had died recently. Only on Rte !!!

Seriously? wow