Mooney
Hartigan
Flanagan
Tynan
O'Rourke

GIVE US YOURS

Neil
12/06/2001, 3:11 AM
Same except Napier instead of Daly and Hartigan nowhere to be seen.

joe
12/06/2001, 9:52 AM
I'd go with;

Devine,
Carey, O'Rourke, Coughlan, Horgan,
O'Brien, Herrick, (would have said Moore, but now he's gone), Cahill,
Whichever 2 strikers fit the bill.

For Saturday I think we'll see:

Devine,
Carey, Daly, Coughlan, Horgan,
Caulfield, Herrick, Freyne, Cahill,
Hartigan, Mulligan

Subs:
Mooney, O'Rourke, O'Brien, O'Grady, Welch, Morley, O'Flynn.

does anyone else feel we're looking a bit shy in the centre of midfield?

Neil
12/06/2001, 10:59 AM
Youre probably right joe, I can see this team arriving out on Saturday aswell.
Devine,
Caulfield, Herrick, Freyne, Cahill,
Hartigan, Mulligan

But this team has to be one of the worst we have seen in many years.

does anyone else feel we're looking a bit shy in the centre of midfield?
We are looking a bit shy in more places than midfield! For me, Freyne, Caulfield, and Daly are well past it and Hartigan is just as rubbish as he always was.

pete
12/06/2001, 11:28 AM
Saturdays team will be:

Devine,
Caulfield, Herrick, Buckley, Cahill,
Hartigan, Mulligan

Subs: Mooney, Napier, O'Rourke, O'Brien, O'Grady, Patsy, Morley, O'Flynn.

Probably one of strongest benches seen in a while? Between O'Grady & Welsh for last spot on the bench. Kelvin will be a big loss for his muscle in midfield (i'm not joking). Is Greg still in the squad?

Can we do a CSKA Kiev job again?

joe
12/06/2001, 11:54 AM
I forgot about Buckley (:confused: ), so I reckon we might see a return of the 4-5-1 used against FC Koln a few years back:

Devine,
Caulfield, Buckley, Herrick, Freyne, Cahill,
Hartigan.

Subs;

Mooney, O'Rourke, O'Brien, O'Grady, Mulligan, Morley, + A. N. Other.

James
12/06/2001, 11:56 AM
this A N other guy and when did we sign him
jeeze gunther been realy busy so in transfer mkt

Éanna
12/06/2001, 12:17 PM
Devine
Carey O'Rourke Napier Hoggy
O'Brien Kelvin Herrick Cahill
O'Flynn/Welch Mulligan.

Neil
12/06/2001, 12:48 PM
Devine
Carey O'Rourke Napier Hoggy
O'Brien Kelvin Herrick Cahill
O'Flynn/Welch Mulligan.

We could never be so lucky that Gunther would send out as good a team as that, Eanna. There's not enough Hoof in that selection...

Leonard
12/06/2001, 4:01 PM
Am I the only person to noticce the terrible mistake everyone is making? You fools seem to have put a 87 year old striker on the wing instead of the Golden Dream, Colin O'Brien.
I have noticed Grunter also seems to make this basic error quite regularly. I may have a frank exchange of views with him from the terrace some day.

joe
12/06/2001, 4:11 PM
Hold on a second - that was the team i think we'll see on Saturday, not the one i would send into action.

pete
12/06/2001, 6:01 PM
Johnny C had a very good run in the team in the last couple of months.

On the otherhand Colin hasn't had a good game in a long time. He doesn't seem to have graduated past the kick the ball ahead & run after it :rolleyes: Hopefully someone else can challenge for the position.

If Gunther plays 4-5-1 i'm going to do my nut! :(
We now play a tight enough 4-4-2 not to be afraid of anyone. Jeez its only the toto cup so we might as well have a go @ home. Who knows the roar @ the cross might scare them into conceeding a few goals?

Pablo
12/06/2001, 6:38 PM
Gunther aint gonna start any of the new guys thats for sure. all the old heads e.g Daly/freyne/caulfield/morley will probably all start. And much to my annoyance Hartigan will probably play aswell because of his sublime skill, pace , workrate and aerial dominance......

Neil
13/06/2001, 11:38 AM
I'd like to see Morley in the team - he is still the best striker we have, especially for playing in European games.

As for Daly/Freyne/Caulfield they should not be anywhere near the team. They have outstayed their welcome by a mile, and are now just annoying, aswell as being crap.

Hartigan - sick of the subject.

Conor B
13/06/2001, 2:03 PM
I haven't seen the teamsheet for a couple of months but I'd stick with the reliable:
Biscuits
Daly, Coughlan, McCabe, Cotter
O'Brien, Hindmarch, McDermott, Barry
Caulfield, Morley

but I have been wrong before

James
13/06/2001, 2:28 PM
its got to be Paul Bannon for Coughlan:D :D

and maybe fergie for cotter

Neil
13/06/2001, 5:02 PM
I want to see Kieran Nagle hugging that touch line, and Johnny Butler pulling the strings in the middle!

A face
13/06/2001, 11:31 PM
Well Kelvin is getting married so that is him out of the picture, Colin hasn't been getting his game, but were there niggly (is that how you spell it?) injuries involved there. but if he is poor then obviously he shouldn't play, Daly i thikn we will see on the back, Carey is good but not a lot of experience, Derek yeah, and Hoggie the same as Carey, So i Think we will see Daly in, I like O'Rourke though, I think we will see 4-5-1 but if it is

Caulfield, Buckley, Herrick, Freyne, Cahill,

then i think there is good fire power there barr Bucko, but he does have a go when he has a chance, Hartigan .... Lads he does no work at all, well none to be seen, you either love or hate him, it's just that later for most people, i would prefer Mulligan or Morley, Mulligan will work and hold up the ball, just poor on the goals, Morley holds it as well and he is a good shot taker, but he wouldn't run to the shop for ya, not in record time anyway. Murphy seems to have done well so far, i just hope he keeps it up,

I heard some say a great one earlier, that if we win at home, we should throw the away leg and have a good game against Celtic, throw it mind you, did ya ever hear the likes, Inter two bob yeah yeah, but Celtic is a friendly/money spinner.

Quick, get your candy floss, the circus (Celtic) are coming to town !!

James
14/06/2001, 11:33 AM
last 2 years we played that at the home legs and both times it was only in the second half when we switched to 4-4-2 that we started to look good...i mean gothenburg 2 years ago we could have got more goals then the one we got and the same last year.

joe
14/06/2001, 11:37 AM
but maybe if we started with 4-4-2 we would have found ourselves a goal or two down?

I know we'll never know, but maybe it's right to exercise caution at the beginning of a euro tie?

James
14/06/2001, 11:41 AM
Against IFK we were 3-0 down from the first leg!!! (wasnt it?)

So you obviously go out to defend the second leg..with a 4-5-1 formation.. i dont think so.

we were all over them when we eventually went 4-4-2, so what if we had played it from the start.

joe
14/06/2001, 11:45 AM
do you honestly think Gothenborg were going all out from the start or were they sitting back, confident with their 3-0 lead?

pete
14/06/2001, 11:54 AM
I think the only way we have a hope of getting thru this round is to get at the latvians. I think if we got 4-5-1 we're just inviting them onto us & if we play the tight 4-4-2 like we played at the end of the season we can do well.

I accept its important not to conceed a goal but wouldn't be too confident of us scoring away from home - we've 5 forwards now too.

joe
14/06/2001, 11:58 AM
but we could start with an attacking 4-5-1, ie either 4-3-3 or 4-4-1-1 aswell and then switch to 4-4-2 when the game settles down.

James
14/06/2001, 6:10 PM
do you honestly think Gothenborg were going all out from the start or were they sitting back, confident with their 3-0 lead?

no of course not they didnt set out to I'll bet but we played 4-5-1 even though we were trying to peg back a 3 goal deficit.
where is the sense in that!

It was only second half when they went 4-4-2 that they (a) scored and (b) posed more of a threat

My point is that going into the first leg home tie you should not sit back 4-5-1 formation and defend. they shoiuld be more confident and try to get a lead of some sorts to take to latvia.

thenb in latvia by all means with a goal/2 goal lead play your containing game with a 4-5-1?

joe
14/06/2001, 6:26 PM
i've been against alot of formations, line-ups and tactics used by ccfc in the past but i think using 4-5-1 against an unknown entity in europe has it's advantages especially if, as i said above, you have players flexible and intelligent enough to switch to 4-3-3 or 4-5-1-1 if things go well.

A face
14/06/2001, 8:33 PM
here last night and it got scrubbed, whassup!

I didn't use bad language in it, or did i, i can get quite liberal with it at times so maybe i have reached a point when i dont realise it, was that the case? ... can some one help ?!!! :-)

Conor B
14/06/2001, 9:11 PM
Who exactly censors what is written on this site anyway, and why? It is not as if we are in the former Soviet Union or something is it? Are we?

i once met a girl from Latvia, she was blond and quite a dinger!
Front end out for the lads now thanks!

Conor B
14/06/2001, 9:16 PM
And not only that, if you are a true shed veteran, bad language will come as nothing new, ecxept for those aristocratic prawn sandwich eating yuppies that try to support their local side in the face of the Jones's while watching sky sports extra thank you very much. ARE YOU WATCHING PREN_DER_VILLE.

Not in my front garden.
W*NK*R

joe
15/06/2001, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Conor B
Who exactly censors what is written on this site anyway, and why?

the moderators are here tyo do a number of things and censoring, on the rare ocassion it's needed, is only a minor part of their role. Moderators keep an eye on the fourms, help promote healthy debate and keep flaming and the like out.

Conor B
15/06/2001, 11:48 AM
Yellow card for you then

joe
15/06/2001, 12:19 PM
but i didn't delete any posting by face

Young Nick
15/06/2001, 1:54 PM
gentlemen

I believe the msg you are hunting was posted under the "Help - City's Euro game thread."

Not that I could understand a single word of it ;o)

Neil
15/06/2001, 8:20 PM
Cork City boss Liam Murphy has received a massive boost with the news that Anthony Buckley has been passed fit to play tomorow night's Intertoto Cup, first leg clash with Metalurgs at Turners Cross at 6.30pm.

The ex-Boston College graduate will partner Mark Herrick in central midfield.

"We have a number of players with niggling injuries," said Cork City manager Liam Murphy.

"Noel Hartigan has a calf strain and our young full-back Alan Carey has an ankle injury so that means I will not name my team until the last minute," said Murphy.

Kelvin Flanagan's wedding means he is unavailable for both legs. For City's two new signings, Conor O'Grady from Sligo and Steve O'Flynn from Wimbledon, the European game comes too soon for them.

Probable line-up: Devine; Carey, Daly (capt), Coughlan, Horgan; Caulfield, Herrick, Buckley, Cahill; Hartigan, Morley or Mulligan.

Source: Noel Spillane / Evening Echo